Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
That Bautista moment can go to hell.

Directional. Zone. Whatever the gently caress. I've probably spent over an hour on it in various attempts. I've bounced off the top of the monster a poo poo ton. I've driven the ball to the divot at straight centerfield. I've never had a moment be so impossible for reasons I cannot understand.

That loving Cron two XBH took a minute, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Captain Log posted:

That Bautista moment can go to hell.

Directional. Zone. Whatever the gently caress. I've probably spent over an hour on it in various attempts. I've bounced off the top of the monster a poo poo ton. I've driven the ball to the divot at straight centerfield. I've never had a moment be so impossible for reasons I cannot understand.

That loving Cron two XBH took a minute, too.

I felt that one was hard, yeah. I got it in a handful of tries by dropping it directly on top of the monster, just barely.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

so if I start on one archetype in RTTS, I can't change to another one (like going from sparkplug -> slugger I mean)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish stadium attendance was dynamic. In franchise mode, my Mariners have won 37 straight games, yet their stadium doesn’t have a sold out game ever, its usually half full. In real life this would be the first ever time the Mariners had a sold out game :v:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Tatsuta Age posted:

so if I start on one archetype in RTTS, I can't change to another one (like going from sparkplug -> slugger I mean)

Nope.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

very cool

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Of course I nuked that Bautista homer in my fourth try today.

Of course.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Lame that you can't create a stadium on last gen systems. You can do it on the cloud, but the lag makes it impossible to hit.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I packed live series shohei which is cool but... the card is weirdly underwhelming for who he is irl and a 95 rating. His pitching stats are pretty average and missing some of the great quirks his 99 wbc card has. And while his hitting is good, it's not great and his fielding stats are really low despite him being able to play there secondary. He would've been great last year when pitchers hit but with the dh... he seems just ok? Lots of better pitchers and hitters that are easy to get. Kind of a shame. Am I missing something. I'm thinking of selling him and buying Sasaki or another really good card.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Check the parallel experience tab on his card. He will continue to accrue stats as you use him, I believe

Also that's core so you can use him all year. WBC expires in July

Edit: also also, live series ratings will temporarily change based on current irl performance so they may have wanted to give the card some headroom

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 11, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Check the parallel experience tab on his card. He will continue to accrue stats as you use him, I believe

Also that's core so you can use him all year. WBC expires in July

Every card gains stats when you parallel them. I don't think his card is different from any other card in the game. I know wbc expires but you can always lock one expired card all year and well look at Sasakis stats... absolutely crazy. Also I kinda want to collect all the non mlb Japanese cards cause i watched the wbc and it was great and they might never be in the game again.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Nothing in Live Series is that impressive vs Set 1 cards/equivalent. The biggest perk is LS is useable in Events and the collection rewards for completing.

It's entirely reasonable to sell to buy up Set 1 cards so that you can get Jazz/Trea sooner. But Set 1 is going to drop significantly in price as well as Tops now cards keep rolling out.

Personally I'm banking stubs to complete Set 1, except that I'm buying well performing (irl) LS players because I anticipate that they'll get buffed or at least hold their rating. The last two years I rushed to complete collections but I'm just slow rolling it right now because Set 1 is so much more dominant.

E: my actual gripe this year is that Flashback core series cards are not collectable in a way worth grinding for. Random Veteran Core cards, especially the gold ones you get in TA? Worthless.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 11, 2023

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've had better pack luck this year than in any sports game ever, but it's not as cool when the game at launch is filled with 95+ diamonds. Obviously I'm not complaining about a pulling Shohei and 12 other Live Diamonds already, but if I pulled a base Mbappe in FIFA he'd be in my line up for at least 1/2 the game cycle if not longer. Shohei's only in my line up to grind pxp, but even when we get to S2 I'll still be able to use a bunch of S1 cards better than he is. Then by the time we get to S3 I'll have a bunch of S2 cards still better than Shohei.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I think they went a little too hard on the WBC cards. My lineup is basically all WBC, and I cannot justify swapping in even most of the charisma series.

I also really enjoyed collections, and don't love all the other cards just being dumped into a big bucket. But it wouldn't surprise me if more involved collections came out later in the year.

I had to pitch that 92 Nestor in a ranked game that other day. Nestor is literally my favorite pitcher now named Ohtani, and they really have trouble nailing a usable card for him. It's not like they cannot due a soft throwing lefty. Keuchel was one of my best pitchers last year.

Current ranked record - 6-4

I've got no complaints, as long as I'm at .500 or better. I do NOT want to go into the higher difficulties.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Didn't realize ranked games were 9 innings. That's a lot.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Jubs posted:

Didn't realize ranked games were 9 innings. That's a lot.

Yeah it's prob the longest games of any sports game that you can buy but I think it's cool, it gives you a whole game to figure out the other person's tendencies and for them to figure out yours and stuff

I think the rewards are pretty balanced around that though, you need to play less than a game a day during the season to get the best reward

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I get really pissed at how a person rage quitting means you only get X amount of innings and a pitcher with a dead arm. If they rage quit, give me the nine loving innings. Also, don't say my pitcher has an arm like he just threw 131 pitches.

I had a guy pitch Robin Roberts. Admittedly, he held me to one run for five innings by throwing nothing but off speed that managed to die at the warning track on four separate occasions. But once I got those pitches times, he bounced after three back to back homers in the sixth.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Yup right now you get a point per win and per 3 innings played (half 9ths don't count and when some guy shells me for 8 runs it apparently also doesn't count). You also get 10 points every 6-7 games via the PxP missions.

It's looking like I'll be done ranked program in around 16 games. I never quit but others have. I probably won't get the runs bonus but will likely get two or three player missions done. Almost certainly going to cross the finish like at 100 innings. Which is a lot less than last year's 150/200.

E: yeah to above I was mad I lost a start to a PxP mission grind for my pitchers. It's very easy to hit 600 PxP in a single game so I do my TA team builds into Ranked but a quitter stunted my guy's mission so I had to roster him for 4 more games.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I try not to quit for the reasons stated, but if I'm obviously throwing the game by bunting on two strikes every batter and the other guy keeps playing hard? I'm out, no thanks. It's not the other guy's fault I suck, but if you're gonna rub it in enjoy your reduced xp and stamina

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
If you are bunting every dude I'd be pissed. Traditionally bunt cheese has been annoying as gently caress and people probably think you're doing that. Just swing super early if you've given up

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Also for anyone doing ranked program, if you're doing ranked too I would recommend if you have the stubs to buy all the player mission players and use them at the lower ranks and then sell them once you do the missions (you're going to get them later anyway if you want to collect them), rather than getting them once you get into the higher divisions as rewards and using them against better players on higher difficulties

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Is online down for anyone else? Can't seem to connect.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

Also for anyone doing ranked program, if you're doing ranked too I would recommend if you have the stubs to buy all the player mission players and use them at the lower ranks and then sell them once you do the missions (you're going to get them later anyway if you want to collect them), rather than getting them once you get into the higher divisions as rewards and using them against better players on higher difficulties

gently caress that's smart I'm so dumb

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am giving the game a try because it is on gamepass. The only thing that eludes me is Pitching; Still trying to get used to it and find a scheme that works with me. Right now I am between the Meter and the Pinpoint pitching.

Also, is there any advantage the PS5 version has over the Series X version?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

I am giving the game a try because it is on gamepass. The only thing that eludes me is Pitching; Still trying to get used to it and find a scheme that works with me. Right now I am between the Meter and the Pinpoint pitching.

Just spend a little time in practice and learn pinpoint, there's no point in doing anything else unless it's bugged on the console you're playing on, idk if it's usable on xbox right now or not

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I was reading ps5 is worse online yesterday. Something with input lag or something.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just read about the problems with pinpoint on XBox on wireless controllers, but I do have a long USB cable so I will just wire it.

And yeah, for whatever reason Pinpoint feels weirdly good, which suprises me because I utterly despise stick swinging on the PGA games. That said, I do have the dynamic difficulty on, but :shrug:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Pinpoint feels amazing when it's not bugged. Though online I think it's been stingy with perfect releases.

Xbox was a superior version before PS5 got its VRR update, but other than Sony not supporting rival controllers they're pretty identical now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm on Xbox with wireless. gently caress some pinpoint. When I tried to do it, the input was beyond hosed.

Pulse Pitching carried me through 21 and 22. I typically hold a 550 to 650 ranking and multiple P5 pitchers with sub 3.5 ERAs. Using pulse pitching now without any big issue.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Buck O’Neill is such a ridiculously good hitter for me

Have him playing over several 95/97s

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Joc Pederson is my standout, I dunno if it's just luck or like random distribution of results but in my 30 event games he hit like .460 with 1.5 slugging

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Post your God Squads!

KK the catcher loving rakes for me. Literally hitting close to .400 with him over a ton of appearances. Weirdly, Moncado is below the Mendoza line and it makes zero sense.

Urias is about to get taken out for being slow. I try to keep everyone at gold defense and 70 or greater speed.

Sandoval is a beast for me, and Senga hasn’t given up a run yet. Haven’t tried out May yet.

With the Hoffman boost, my 1-2 punch on relieving is Louisiaga to Ohtani. Haven’t dropped a save with Ohtani yet.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here's my team so far, I just got Sammy and Joe Morgan last night

I don't know if I'll keep Joe Morgan or not I'm not sure if he's 50k better than Jeff McNeil or Tommy Edman or Biggio or something (I have Biggio at C tho)

I think he prooobably is, though, 50k isn't a ton in the grand scheme of things especially if you don't actually collect him and no-sell him, and the difference betweeen 95+ speed/stealing and 90 becomes more apparent as people use better catchers (which we are from the get-go here)

Plus he has dead red/breaking ball and day player so he's gonna have 2 perk boosts on most at-bats since everyone just mashes "Day" when they search for a match

I think only lacking in power is really good since power kinda sucks this year compared to other years

I'm not kidding that if Dee Strange-Gordon had better fielding I would probably start him over any other 2B in the game, the guy just ALWAYS gets a hit and then you can steal 2nd, the 30 power just makes everything drop in between the IF and OF, and the only time you actually gently caress yourself is if you get a perfect and it actually has enough pop to get to an outfielder lol

This specific 84 card of him has been one of my favorites in the game since I guess 21 and he's even better this year with slappy boys being more viable. You can definitely see in my lineup my preference for fast contact guys this year when so many balls are staying in the park, plus they're just fun.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 13, 2023

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If anyone knows an actual way to send yourself ps5 screenshots let me know lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I always make Dominican squad and use it mostly as my primary.

*I am aware Robert is not dominican. That 99 Julio Rodriguez card is too steep for me rn. I might put his 85 live in before I do seasons but his defense looks dreadful. The highlights are Gary Sanchez, Wander, Segura, Ramirez and Ortiz. With the bench I can give Captain Ortiz a small contact r, power r, and clutch boost which is cool. Devers has been very average for me weirdly and I just got Cano and he will take his spot. Teoscar hits the worst poo poo all the time then a random bomb, very baffling player. But yeah, Wander is so drat good, switch hitting and just gets everything, would be in any team I have right now.

This is the second team I'm using a lot of to try out captain boosts. Bryce Harper's boost is +15 contact r, +20 power r, and +10 clutch which is pretty crazy. Harper with full boost has been my most consistent homer hitter by a long mile, he's really good. Chili Davis boosted is a great DH, switch hitter with high stats everywhere and good quirks. The boost takes soriano from spotty and average to quite good. Fielder is great vs righties, avg vs left. I need to also say Dee Gordon is incredible. I first tried him to level up a bit as a bench runner since he has 95 speed 95 steal, 98 bunt and drag bunt but I've just kept him around because he is the most consistent base hitter I've used. The one issue was his power r was so low it would get caught by the infield sometimes but the +20 boost fixed that. I swear he either bloops over the infield for a base or splits the infield for a double or triple all the time. His hits avoid the the defense like no one else I've used. Gonna be in my teams or bench all year.

Oh yeah, I'm also collecting all the Japanese WBC guys and flipped the Ohtani I packed for Sasaki..... Sasaki is unreal lol. Kinda crazy he's on the market this early I dont think any pitchers come close to him, especially starters. Has a fast windup too which is nice.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 14, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm loving getting to see some other lineups. Dee Strange Gordon was a hit machine for me, too. But I couldn't justify giving him a starting spot in ranked. Right now, I'm 8-5 and just broke into All Star. I played 99% of last year in All Star, before I switched to PCI hitting. As long as my record in positive, I'm happy.

I have zero delusions or desire to make a push to World Series.

QUESTION!!!

I loving packed 99 Kyle Tucker last night, my biggest pull of the year so far. I rake with Kyle Tucker, and want to immediately slow him into Right Field.

But on the Live Series collections, I'm down to needing the cards that cost 75k and up. I work the market pretty hard, but I rarely sell a card that I need. I feel like selling Kyle Tucker means I'll just be buying him later.

Should I sell Tucker to complete a Live Team? Or keep my best pull and use him?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I would prioritize Set 1 over LS, because the cards are better, more expensive, and the window on them is shorter.

Doesn't mean sell Tucker, but you could hold him and play with him potentially.

I do think all Set 1 cards are going to drop in price over the next two weeks.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If you want to get the set 1 collection cards then I think you would still sell Tucker and buy more of the cheap Set 1 cards though I dunno

You can def keep him to him for awhile but I wouldn't collect any expensive cards, I would just keep them to use for awhile and eventually sell them for mulitple lower rated set 1 cards or live cards

That's what I'm doing with like Joe Morgan for instance or I had Jim Edmonds for a bit that I used that way (loved that guy too but Jazz seems fine in CF now)

I don't care an absolute ton about actually finishing set 1, I just want to get Chipper to use as a wildcard all year and that's 140, I don't need to get Pedro or Babe

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I'm loving getting to see some other lineups. Dee Strange Gordon was a hit machine for me, too. But I couldn't justify giving him a starting spot in ranked. Right now, I'm 8-5 and just broke into All Star. I played 99% of last year in All Star, before I switched to PCI hitting. As long as my record in positive, I'm happy.

Keep him in man. Have him at leadoff and steal second with him, he basically never gets thrown out. Then you have a really good chance at a run. Also when the rotation comes back around his bunting can come in handy (bunting someone home).

e- I was also reading online today his dragbunt is like 100% sucessful if you time it right lol. I rarely bunt with him despite the stats cause his swing is that dang good.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Refining a point I made earlier now that I've thought on it for part of the day: If I could go back and optimize how I did this season so far, I would probably sell any Set 1 card I got (not Tops Now) that went for more than 15k.

Every Set 1 card in the Season 1 path is going to be min value by the end of the Season due to the repeatable XP reward. Most of the cards already are. I listed my Murakami this afternoon and it's dropped 15k over two days.

The expensive big cards packs are going to start showing up in programs/conquests. The general ones are going to hit the market for frequently, and every week they're going to drop 10+ free Tops Now cards on top of all of these other Set 1 card releases, and most of the upward pressure on the prices is that you need them for the collection. Once you're halfway done the set, every Tops Now card is 30k you don't have to spend, which drops the demand on those cards.

Beyond that I'm probably going to put standing orders a little above quick sell on a whole bunch of cards and surprise myself with little gifts every day until I can throw down enough to get Chipper outright then repeat.