Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I mean, Twitter Blue provides access to bold and italic formatting, Michael. What could it cost? $8?

I think those are base twitter now. The 10k limit is Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ColdPie posted:

Free speech doesn't work because speech can, itself, suppress speech. You have two options: decide which speech to allow, or let the loudest/rudest/most violent people make the decision for you. It's no coincidence that the "free speech" people always agree with the positions of those loud/rude/violent people. That's the speech they want to promote, and they use the fig leaf of "free speech" to do it.

Almost every upstart social media site starts out talking big talk about how they support Free Speech as a core value (how come no one else ever thought of this?!) and then quickly goes through the same painful learning process where they end up having to invent content moderation processes for what should have been obvious reasons and discover how massively difficult and unrewarding a problem content moderation at scale actually is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kazil posted:

And yet he's promoting bold and italic as a blue feature from what I can see

I'll stick with Great Value brand tweets tyvm

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 14, 2023

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

kazil posted:

Just checked and nope:

https://twitter.com/twitterwrite/status/1646674962055565319?s=46&t=w3mzOf7wYp9E9yLdFBNRmw

It’s still a great deal though! You can edit a Tweet up to 5 times within 30 minutes of submitting it too! :lol:

EDIT: Unless it’s not been implemented for non-Blue users, I don’t see any way to format text in the iOS app. Still such a dumb “feature” anyway.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Just checked and nope:

https://twitter.com/twitterwrite/status/1646674962055565319?s=46&t=w3mzOf7wYp9E9yLdFBNRmw

It’s still a great deal though! You can edit a Tweet up to 5 times within 30 minutes of submitting it too! :lol:

EDIT: Unless it’s not been implemented for non-Blue users, I don’t see any way to format text in the iOS app. Still such a dumb “feature” anyway.

check harder?
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1646688350550605828

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

yet all the top replies are either some blue check spouting bigotry, or the occasional non-verified "good on you" which is then piled on by the blue checks

Elon may be missing a jillion basic goalposts, but he sure did succeed in his efforts to aggressively platform transphobia

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sign up for Twitter Blue to unlock features like "set your own avatar picture" and "follow users"!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Because his brain blue screens when he gets to 'follow them anywhere'.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Maybe it’s accessible in a browser.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Screenreaders do their best to ignore combining characters, so, if your zalgo input is "normal words which have used combining characters to appear hosed up as rendered", the screenreader is apt to just do the right thing. On the other hand, if the zalgo input was a bunch of el33t sp34k n0n$ense, then the screenreader will choke on that as bad as it would if it was not zalgo'd.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I appreciate the opportunity to learn a bit more about a topic of which I was relatively ignorant, in this, the laughing at Elon Musk thread. It had bothered me for a while that I felt like screen readers might have trouble with that sort of text, but that I didn't know where I might find out whether it is in fact so, because it's a relatively obscure topic.

They do say that the best way to get an answer to a question on the internet is to confidently give your own answer, and wait to see if someone is moved to indignantly correct you.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Free speech doesn't work because speech can, itself, suppress speech. You have two options: decide which speech to allow, or let the loudest/rudest/most violent people make the decision for you. It's no coincidence that the "free speech" people always agree with the positions of those loud/rude/violent people. That's the speech they want to promote, and they use the fig leaf of "free speech" to do it.

Very incisive, thanks for sharing.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1646824088940232704

can't state enough just how loving vile this rear end in a top hat is

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Halli is a lot cooler than this shithead. Can we have a Halli thread instead

.random
May 7, 2007

Can’t tell if trolling or not. In case it’s not, this is written using Unicode characters from different encodings / for different purposes. E.g., they might be for a different language, mathematical symbols, etc.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

kazil posted:

I know the answer is "because they don't care", but why don't transphobes understand that kids don't have surgery? They'll have puberty blockers and that's it? If they realise they're not trans or don't want to transition they can just stop taking them and carry on like it never happened.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Next you'll tell me that : and ) were never intended to build faces!!

.random
May 7, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Next you'll tell me that : and ) were never intended to build faces!!

We flew too close to the sun :negative:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

.random posted:

Can’t tell if trolling or not. In case it’s not, this is written using Unicode characters from different encodings / for different purposes. E.g., they might be for a different language, mathematical symbols, etc.

I think he's just pointing out that you can do that, people have been doing it for ages for display names and such

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Nah, I misunderstood and I was wrong. Sorry.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

????he's to busy????? :elon::elon::elon::elon::elon::elon:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I know the answer is "because they don't care", but why don't transphobes understand that kids don't have surgery? They'll have puberty blockers and that's it? If they realise they're not trans or don't want to transition they can just stop taking them and carry on like it never happened.

because they call puberty blockers and HRT "sterilizing" too

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bertha the Toaster posted:

They used to argue that puberty blockers are dangerous untested medical experiments, but I guess enough people pointed out they've been around and in medical use for ~a century that now they just pretend trans healthcare is different.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Piell posted:

because they call puberty blockers and HRT "sterilizing" too

As an middle-aged man who identifies as male, I have very little idea about any of this. So after some basic Googling (forgive me if I get anything wrong), this all seems...well, kinda cool, really. I never knew any of this existed and it seems that according to my sources (Mayo Clinic and Planned Parenthood) that a lot of thought has been put into this whole situation. Which is really neat.

And it's amazing how much it freaks out people like Musk. So much of their own identity is wrapped up in the social constructs that without them they just fall the gently caress apart. I mean, for someone who's way into science and technology, Musk is astonishingly narrow-minded when it comes to society. Then again, he just play-acts being a TechBro because like most/all rich people he wants bonafides for being lucky.

Tenebrais posted:

They used to argue that puberty blockers are dangerous untested medical experiments, but I guess enough people pointed out they've been around and in medical use for ~a century that now they just pretend trans healthcare is different.

And if Musk was half the scientist he wants to be, he would find this all fascinating and neat instead of screaming 'they're not gonna take my weiner' and running away. And this is the rear end in a top hat who playacts taking humanity off-planet? Good grief, this man has no limits to how sad he is.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
So this dipshit is gonna' be on Tucker next week. Can't wait for the absolute dumbest poo poo to surface during the "interview".

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

kazil posted:

It really is hilarious that the facade is fully gone, and everyone sees him for the prick he is.

Like for so many years he got away with being this tech auteur, and now everyone knows he's a scummy piece of poo poo.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So notes is going to be twitter but with even more racists and I won't even have a browser extension that puts a blue $ next to the racists?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Infinitum posted:

It really is hilarious that the facade is fully gone, and everyone sees him for the prick he is.

Like for so many years he got away with being this tech auteur, and now everyone knows he's a scummy piece of poo poo.

well I think not everyone knows that though? There are loads of people who aren't exposed to the sort of carrying on he does and still perceive him as the electric-car-rocket-scientist-genius guy he is marketed as.

I think I didn't really know anything about him until he called that cave diver guy a paedophile and then I realised that hang on, this guy isn't good or clever at all, he's actually a complete bell end

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

And if Musk was half the scientist he wants to be, he would find this all fascinating and neat instead of screaming 'they're not gonna take my weiner' and running away. And this is the rear end in a top hat who playacts taking humanity off-planet? Good grief, this man has no limits to how sad he is.

It's another of the ways that despite apparently loving Iain M Banks's 'Culture' series (to the extent that he names his rockets after the spaceships from the books, and his current location on his Twitter profile 'A Shortfall of Gravitas' is a (botched) reference to one of them) he completely misses the point. In that universe the citizens of the Culture can use their technology to change sex over a period of months, and most do purely out of interest and to gain experiences they otherwise wouldn't.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Hammerite posted:

well I think not everyone knows that though? There are loads of people who aren't exposed to the sort of carrying on he does and still perceive him as the electric-car-rocket-scientist-genius guy he is marketed as.

I think I didn't really know anything about him until he called that cave diver guy a paedophile and then I realised that hang on, this guy isn't good or clever at all, he's actually a complete bell end

Eh, I think the tide has mostly turned against Musk. Most people that still think he's a tech genius are the musk stans at this point.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kazil posted:

Eh, I think the tide has mostly turned against Musk. Most people that still think he's a tech genius are the musk stans at this point.

He was always swimming against the tide, it was just a matter of how long it took to pull back

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have heard some pretty offline people in my life refer to Elon Musk as "embarassing;" he's probably gonna be a billionaire and able to sabotage progress for a good while longer, but he's never going to win back his pre-Twitter reputation.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1646877814430535681?t=OKyEVx7PTCaNS0xEz-nEzA&s=19

So he's pretty much gone full Matt Walsh.

Also that advertising conference where those execs straight up called him a racist starts next week alongside the Tucker interview

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I have heard some pretty offline people in my life refer to Elon Musk as "embarassing;" he's probably gonna be a billionaire and able to sabotage progress for a good while longer, but he's never going to win back his pre-Twitter reputation.

The entire rocket industry, including the people actually running SpaceX now that they're a welfare case, was waiting with bated breath for this to happen

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Hammerite posted:

There was some polling that did suggest an equal percentage of people now like and hate his guts, instead of people perceiving him in a mostly positive and undecided manner in the past.

People used to see him as just eccentric but events like him completely butchering “I’m rich bitch” make people think he isn’t eccentric but just an attention seeking loser.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 14, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1646877814430535681?t=OKyEVx7PTCaNS0xEz-nEzA&s=19

So he's pretty much gone full Matt Walsh.

Also that advertising conference where those execs straight up called him a racist starts next week alongside the Tucker interview

I think this is the least appealing image I've ever seen

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Paracausal posted:

every tech ceo should be forced into re-education camps and have their wealth redistributed

Force their wealth into re-education camps and redistribute the tech ceos.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Elon is doing the Lord's work in that he is showing everyone that billionaires can be complete morons who continually fail upwards. If our society ever decides to stop worshiping idiots with money we will be able to trace that starting back to when Elon bought Twitter

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/BigTechAlert/status/1646793951620284416

of course

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

kazil posted:

Yah once he tried to back out of his unconditional $44 billion dollar purchase, and couldn't, the public perception of him turned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

The entire rocket industry, including the people actually running SpaceX now that they're a welfare case, was waiting with bated breath for this to happen
lolwut