Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I had a similar issue where a tree-stranded dwarf went into a mood and kept trying to path to their chosen workshop. Instant frame death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I have a "lieutenant" blind cave fish visitor, Olon. Being a blind cave fish, she is blind, but seems to still enjoy watching performances.

Also, being a blind cave fish, she cannot walk, and my baroness seems to insist on chasing her all over the fort to "haul" her around.

And then this happened?:

e: ah, apparently Olon was an artifact, which I THINK my baroness gave TO the blind cave fish lieutenant??

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 11, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
she's in cahoots with the blind fish. execute interrogate them both!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, what usually happens is someone's minion grabbed the artifact while you were distracted watching the fish.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's a red herring, actually.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Is there a way to bury a non-citizen dwarf or visitor?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's no way to build instruments from other civs right? The visiting performers are teaching my guys songs I can't make instruments for!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
you can trade for them
e: from what I've read/heard about, I'm fairly sure you can capture them when raiding

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

temple posted:

This is a good question because a trade caravan murdered a giant cyclops for me and i want to seal that motherfucker in my fort forever

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

My Spirit Otter posted:

This is a good question because a trade caravan murdered a giant cyclops for me and i want to seal that motherfucker in my fort forever

I guess I could throw him in a pit but its really obnoxious. Everyone freaking out about a dumb sword dwarf nobody knew and they keep putting him back in my stockpiles and not in the tomb.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Managed to catch a jabberer in a trap and was able to train as a war animal. However, when released I learned that he did not recognize visitors as friendly, leading him to bite the head of a bard and chase a scholar into the tavern, where fun ensured. One of the visitors managed to knock him unconcious at some point, and everyone stood around punching him for a minute before it expired.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I gen'd a 500 year old world just to see if I'd get interesting ruins (got like 1 and it was boring) so I started a new fort on it, year 500, not that interesting. Thing is the entire world appears to be populated by two and seemingly only two kinds of people. Monster hunters and elven dance troupes. Last count of my 106 population only 60 of them were actual useful dwarfs and the rest are monster hunters of varying races including a lizardy looking guy. I tell the dance troupes to piss off.

So I keep the caverns open access and nearly all of the hunters spend their days merrily down there (it's only like 10 levels down) murdering everything and so far I've lost two of them. To keep 'things' out of the fort I put a tonne of cage traps out and now have more random 'things' meat than I can eat (everything from giant moles, olms, bats, some kind of wobbly looking horse that gives a fucktonne of meat, crundles etc etc). I have a trained giant rat, and one of my dwarfs also now has a giant bat somehow.

Thing is I get a shedtonne of gorlaks/trogs and no idea what to do with them, can't train to kill for meat or train at all so I've been just releasing them to a paddock in the cavern then just deleting the paddock. What would you lot do with 20+ gorlak/trog in cages? I use trolls to train the military if I catch one but gorlak don't even seem to fight & trogs are a pain in the rear end in any kind of number. Murder pit?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Oh my gently caress, im not running a dwarf fortress, im running a dwarf daycare. Im like 3 or 4 years in and 36/92 dwarves are children. Up until the last 2 migrations, i was onky getting children, but these last 2 gave me about 35 adults, finally.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Aren't gorlaks basically regular people who hang out in caves all day, not monster-monsters? Probably that would be why you can't beast train them?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tambaloneus posted:

I gen'd a 500 year old world just to see if I'd get interesting ruins (got like 1 and it was boring) so I started a new fort on it, year 500, not that interesting.

If you mean necromancer towers, fyi the trick to getting a lot of them (each with a little cluster of evil biome tiles surrounding them) is turning up the number of Secrets in world gen parameters

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Are there good secrets

Like can I obtain paladins of the art god or is it all nightmares all the way down? Guess i should get digging and find out

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

If you mean necromancer towers, fyi the trick to getting a lot of them (each with a little cluster of evil biome tiles surrounding them) is turning up the number of Secrets in world gen parameters

I just meant ruins I could embark on for mostly just "yay free stuff" reasons but now I know what 'secrets' means at least, cheers. I wonder if when the magic updates come through it would mean more learn-able abilities would become avail for discovery via secrets though, that would be most interesting!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think how it works right now is if a being finds the Secret (iirc it's some kind of inscribed tablet) and reads it, they become a necromancer. I don't think it's consumed in the process. Probably there's a wiki article about it :shrug:

e: I thiiiiink you can embark with your tiles overlapping a necromancer tower, which would give you some free stuff I guess :v:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 12, 2023

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I avoid necro tiles or anything anywhere near it, but I have used ruins to embark on a few times and while I wish there was more variety in the stuff you get in them it's kind of fun, plus they all seem to come with some huge square of pre-walled off dirt which is nice and convenient. Not a fan of the ramps they always have but I can make my own stairs based entrance elsewhere, and the 'Mystery Friend' in the basement is usually soon dispatched of anyway, leaving me to the hundred odd anvils and/or magma forges and sometimes whole rooms of gear to use/melt. Hopefully either an update or a mod will add more variety/types to the ruins we can embark on. (like themed forts maybe one is a giant library, or one has lots of taverns sprawled above ground, forts with different bedroom layouts etc). Or the ability to embark on abandoned human/elf villages and pilfer whatever they had :D

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

temple posted:

Putting the remains on a pedestal is the easiest option :v

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've had a couple of slabs brought by invading monsters (cyclops, etc.) which Contained the secrets of life and death but they never did anything. Just sat on the ground where it was dropped for a long time, and then I actually put it up in my library and nobody ever read it there either. I don't think Dwarves can read them, though maybe you could in adventure mode.

Now books with the same secrets - those can be read and will convert your dwarves to necromancers if you let them.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Are there good secrets

Like can I obtain paladins of the art god or is it all nightmares all the way down? Guess i should get digging and find out

Not yet, future update. Currently the only type of secret is the secret of life and death and it doesn't vary that much

My Spirit Otter posted:

Oh my gently caress, im not running a dwarf fortress, im running a dwarf daycare. Im like 3 or 4 years in and 36/92 dwarves are children. Up until the last 2 migrations, i was onky getting children, but these last 2 gave me about 35 adults, finally.

Are you playing in a 100 year world? Due to the maturity changes for dwarves it seems like you need to get until 200-250 or like 60% of your migrants will be children.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Aren't gorlaks basically regular people who hang out in caves all day, not monster-monsters? Probably that would be why you can't beast train them?

Yeah, I had a Gorlak bard hanging out in my tavern for awhile.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not yet, future update. Currently the only type of secret is the secret of life and death and it doesn't vary that much

Are you playing in a 100 year world? Due to the maturity changes for dwarves it seems like you need to get until 200-250 or like 60% of your migrants will be children.

That makes sense, im playing around year 85

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
DFHACK is out on steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/2346660

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Holy poo poo it actually happened

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
is steam dfhack updated for the beta branch that's out, or will updating to both bork things

ttam
Sep 25, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

is steam dfhack updated for the beta branch that's out, or will updating to both bork things

For me running beta enabled launching dfhack from Steam just launches DF and not dfhack. Going back to stable runs both properly.

edit: I am extremely unobservant. There is a beta channel for dfhack that aligns it with the beta for DF.

ttam fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 14, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok cool thanks. I want baby graphics but also I literally can't play without dfhacks planning tools.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
exactly how long does it take for a skill to start rusting

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
Speaking of children. I've realized they are important for your fort to function. I tend to play forts for 20 years+ and as soon as all children are adults everything just falls apart, nobody is doing all these low priority hauling tasks anymore. Metal bars never leaving the smelter, corpses lying everywhere. Especially after invasions it can take quite a while until someone considers putting away all the loot and skeletons and fills the minecart for the trash shaft. (After a rather big army visited me I had to turn off invasions for a few years just to get rid of the trash.) And yes I have dwarfs set to do noting but hauling but they tend to think other items are more important.

On the other hand, no more lil psychos whose kill list grows with all my legendary dwarfs. So it has it's advantages.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Have they brought arena and adventure modes into the steam version yet?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Arena yes, adventure not yet

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok cool thanks. I want baby graphics but also I literally can't play without dfhacks planning tools.

Literally same.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What causes dwarves to ignore assigned tasks? I have a whole bunch of engraving/smoothing stuff lined up but no one will do it. I tried "everyone does this task" no luck, then assigned a few dwarves engraving as their only job and still nothing. I tried different spots to see if it was a pathing issue but they still won't engrave/smooth anything, lazy jerks.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Those are lower priority tasks and they have more important things to do like hauling that lead bin full of lead bars all the way across your fortress.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pickled Tink posted:

Those are lower priority tasks and they have more important things to do like hauling that lead bin full of lead bars all the way across your fortress.

Well I even set them to only do tasks they're assigned for (the little red/green box toggle), does that not disable hauling? One of the dwarves just socialized and slept for a month lol

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It can be one of a ton of issues. Make sure they can get to the area you want them to work in, re: burrows etc.

Make sure you don't have some custom work detail messing it up somehow

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 16, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pickled Tink posted:

I can almost see the masterwork art of this, in the heroic style of the mail always getting through. Also it menaces with lead spikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

resistentialism posted:

Arena yes, adventure not yet

Ooh arena mode. I've got the game, played a ton at start but I've kind of been holding out for adventure mode.