Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not surprising because both The Tick and Mystery Men started as indy comics in the late 80's/early 90's, so they both have that vibe of "let's satirize a lot of the tropes and plotlines of Silver Age comics."

I don't think they ever crossed paths, but Mystery Men are part of the Flaming Carrot universe, and Flaming Carrot crossed-over with the OG TMNT comics, so the Mystery Men movie might take place in the same universe as the TMNT movies, and we'd never know!

And the ninja turtles were mutated by the same ooze that blinded young Matt Murdoch, though Marvel never acknowledged that, therefore the marvel cinematic universe is canon to Mystery Men but Mystery Men is not canon to the mcu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

marshmallow creep posted:

Mr Furious and the Waffler would fit right in with Casey Jones.

I was saying that Mr Furious is doing what Raphael does so often he actually admits it in Batman vs TMNT.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

flavor.flv posted:

Mystery Men is great and if it had come out just five years later it would have smashed box office records

It absolutely suffered from being way ahead of its time, and remains one of like 3 movies with Ben Stiller in it that a can stand to watch.

The payoff to "I heard he can cut guns in half with his mind" and the invisible boy are loving gold.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How can you have a favorite moment in mystery men? It's just gold from beginning to end

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Michael Bay has a cameo as one of "The Frat Boys."

Still on probation for lethal hazing.

It has it's ups and downs, but I still like it. I could do without the whole Spleen character. I like Paul Ruebens getting some post-Pee Wee work, but a fart-based character? C'mon. I think he was shoved in because "Farrely Brothers" style comedy was hitting it's peak then.

Most of the characters in the movie aren't in the comics, but The Shoveler is (he uses the legendary shovel of King Arthur) and Mr. Furious gets so mad, he becomes bullet-proof.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
He doesn't even get that mad in the movie. I've gotten WAY madder

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

credburn posted:

Was that secretly directed by Tim Burton? I feel like I've heard that from multiple sources. None reliable, but independent of each other.

It was rumored because the credited director is no one of note, but the movie feels very Burton, in that weird, things are slightly off from reality way. The rumor is that Burton did the work under contract, hated the material, had problems with the cast, and requested to have his name stricken from the record, so some camera man, who basically had directed Taco Bell commercials, got the directing credit. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I want to believe

MM is one of my favorite movies. The cast is great overall, it's dark enough to be something other than colorful comedy, but not as bleak or depressing as The Boys. It has Tom Waits, for no discernable reason.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
On the other hand the movie also looks a lot like some mid-late 90s taco bell commercials.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Baron von Eevl posted:

On the other hand the movie also looks a lot like some mid-late 90s taco bell commercials a smashmouth music video.

We really missed out on the world where Mystery Men was the meme instead of Shrek.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Taking a look at the imdb collaborators search, Mystery Men shares 25 cast and crew members with Batman Returns, including 2 actors (Doug Jones and of course Rubens) and a bunch of crew members, mostly from the music and art departments which explains why there's some similarity in vibes.

edit

Waste of Breath posted:

We really missed out on the world where Mystery Men was the meme instead of Shrek.

Imagine a world where McG directed Mystery Men

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

It has Tom Waits, for no discernable reason.
Because Tom Waits is loving awesome. :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It was fun watching the behind the scenes featurettes in The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus because Tom Waits was totally geeking out about getting to play the devil. :3:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of my favorite movie moments is that The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus sounds like the title of a Troy McClure movie that somehow escaped into the real world like it was Charles Dance in The Last Action Hero

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

He doesn't even get that mad in the movie. I've gotten WAY madder

When you get way madder in the movie, you will get way madder AT the movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Len posted:

How can you have a favorite moment in mystery men? It's just gold from beginning to end

Someone pointed out how in the final assault on Frankenstein's compound, both the good guys and bad guys actually use tactics and organise, something still rare in Hollywood movies, especially superhero ones. The Mystery Men disable their guns before attacking and set up a vanguard and rear guard, while Frankenstein organises his henchmen in grounds and has them counter-attack. You don't see even that kinda basic stuff so much, when everyone's entire just basically RTS blobs smashing into each other or Elite Tactical Operators who just go forward and shoot/punch endless waves.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Cat Hatter posted:

This is one of only two scenes I've seen of the entire show. The other being the shootout with the guy from two posts above mine. I should probably watch the show...after I finish the last season of The Expanse.

... And watch The Wire again.

Watch We Own This City after the Wire. It's not as good, but it fits in like a "20 years later" kind of way. Plus, you get mad whiplash from the casting choices and a guy that works for me is in it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Geoffrey Rush is so good as Casanova Frankenstein, and also the name Casanova Frankenstein is so loving good

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Silly Newbie posted:

Watch We Own This City after the Wire. It's not as good, but it fits in like a "20 years later" kind of way. Plus, you get mad whiplash from the casting choices and a guy that works for me is in it.
See also: The Deuce.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Deuce is very good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed. Easily the pinnacle of Rob Schneiders career

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in san junipero when she's looking for kelly & gets to 1996, right after the pacman scene, theres a woman dressed and dancing exactly like one of the dancers from bomfunk mcs freestyler

not sure if they mixed up there or its intentional given the plot but its subtle anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Another note on Mystery Men I read about; Mr Furious finally unlocking his actual rage facing the bad guy doesn't fight like you'd expect- but the finger lock, ear slap and elbow to the gut are all really good moves that maximise pain inflicted at minimum risk. (and the first one is an especially good counter for someone whose main weapon is a super-sharp fingernail) It's not far off MCU Hulk's fighting style- little apparent refinement or skull, but a savage cunning that goes right for the weak spots.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not far off MCU Hulk's fighting style

Doesn't Hulk just... smash and throw things?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I might be poorly remembering, but the Norton Hulk at least had a very cunningly brutal fighting style with makeshift weapons and going right for weak spots. Supposedly they didn't give the Abomination his pointy ears from the comics because they couldn't imagine Hulk not ripping them off.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I might be poorly remembering, but the Norton Hulk at least had a very cunningly brutal fighting style with makeshift weapons and going right for weak spots. Supposedly they didn't give the Abomination his pointy ears from the comics because they couldn't imagine Hulk not ripping them off.

You're wrong, it was brutally cunning.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wouldn't they just grow back instantly?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wouldn't they just grow back instantly?

Mine didn’t, so I’m saying no

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Tree Bucket posted:

So THAT'S why Red Hulk's a threat - he's faster!

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Samovar posted:

So THAT'S why Red Hulk's a threat - he's faster!

Hulk is now cononically an Ork.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just started watching A League of Their Own on Prime. The original movie is a classic, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's fun so far.

Anyway, in episode 2 a character comes across a kid reading her comic book on her front steps....

That's the first ever Superman comic.

It sells for millions nowadays.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/07/business/superman-comic-record-sale/index.html

Just a fun joke from the prop master I suppose.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im watching the opening scene of perry mason season 2,

the milkman is delivering milk, but the foley when close the lil door on the milk thing, its super intense like passively aggresively so. heres your loving milk mrs philips. and yours too fuckin portman. gently caress all you all. everybody is sleeping so they dont hear, except perry mason is like oh hey i got milk and gently caress yea i got milk you cocksuckers *slam*

that is to say, he does not care about his neighbors either. the sign of a true detective

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
When chris is arguing with ashley judd at the start of heat he vaults over the living room balustrade (banister? Idk some sort of rail) effortlessly, almost like he's done this 100 times before.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

When chris is arguing with ashley judd at the start of heat he vaults over the living room balustrade (banister? Idk some sort of rail) effortlessly, almost like he's done this 100 times before.

hell yeah

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

If you ever post like that again my knuckles are going up your shitbasket

E: gently caress, i always mix up this thread

freeedr has a new favorite as of 02:34 on May 19, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

freeedr posted:

If you ever post like that again my knuckles are going up your shitbasket

Wasn't the dialogue in Heat great?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Honestly I thought that was a line from a David Mamet play.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

im watching the opening scene of perry mason season 2,

the milkman is delivering milk, but the foley when close the lil door on the milk thing, its super intense like passively aggresively so. heres your loving milk mrs philips. and yours too fuckin portman. gently caress all you all.

:hmmyes: the milkman does that

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tree Bucket posted:

I gotta go with cunningly brutal here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Honestly I thought that was a line from a David Mamet play.

Reminds me of a subtle moment in Glengary Glenross when Jack Lemmon is telling is sales war story to Pacino the morning of the break in and Ricky asks something like "wait, you closed them this morning?"

Shelly kind of hand waves it with "I got up real early and headed over there" before they're interrupted but you can see Ricky being puzzled momentarily and Shelly obviously knowing he hosed up.

Then later when he finishes the story he describes how all had a celebratory toast over the deal - scotch or something. It's supposed to be, what, 7 or 8am? You can tell his whole story is bullshit. It's very well written and acted and it cleverly gives a strong hint who was in on the office break in and the theft of the leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He had to lie and say it was that morning otherwise his contract would have been stolen with everyone else's the night before when the deal had actually taken place. And it's the knowledge that they were still in the office and hadn't been taken to the bank that sinks him with Williamson later.