Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

With a little practice (and as long as your not double sleeving) you can sleeve them up in a couple minutes. Shouldn't really be an issue I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also winners don't use sleeves.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They must still have checklist cards don't they?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They must still have checklist cards don't they?

I imagine they will, but I've never managed to actually get the checklists that I needed :shrug:

wei
Jul 27, 2006
there are 2 DFCs per MOM draft booster, I would not hope to open enough checklist cards

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

They don't do checklists any more, you just get a blank proxy token for double sided cards now. Iirc they started it in Zendikar Rising because of mdfcs

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A page late for this, but everytime I go to a store I remember to hold my fun and good-people play group closer in my heart. It's such a fun game, but man are there a lot of people striving to hold up the stereotypes. Will say hygiene seems to have improved to a degree.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've been to a bunch of prereleases and only had a memorably bad experience in one match, and it wasn't a cheater, it was just a kid who'd constructed his deck with twice as many lands as he should have. He got increasingly frustrated and upset that his deck wasn't working and refused to change it in game two. Although I think after the match someone who he believed because he knew them and/or they weren't his opponent helped him sort it out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do bonus sheet uncommons show up more often than regular uncommons? Maybe it depends on the set.

Also hope I’m wrong but MOM looks pretty bomby.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Masks are normalized now, so even if your LGS has a funk, and I'll admit some do (though it's gotten way better than when I started playing) just mask up. No one cares.
Be nice. It's a prerelease. No one cares. And if they do, it's ok to concede. There's more fun to be had in the 0-X brackets than the X-0 brackets anyways.
Conceding is self care. Just hit da' bricks and go to the next game.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rinkles posted:

it absolutely is, but you can also race any bomb if you go any two colors of Bant

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If anyone wants to give you $20 for Kinsbaile Cavalier , please for the love of god take the money.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Rinkles posted:

Do bonus sheet uncommons show up more often than regular uncommons? Maybe it depends on the set.

There is one bonus sheet card in each MOM draft booster and on the WOTC website it says about 2/3 of the time it'll be an uncommon. There's only 20 uncommons though so you will see the same ones quite a bit and it might feel like they come more often. Normal set has 85 uncommons divided over three slots which works out to about the same rate of seeing each card I think?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the numbers.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’m excited to Magic my brains out at CommandFest Richmond this weekend. Going down tomorrow morning and I’ll be there through Sunday. It’s my first one of these (big fun Magic event, not my first prerelease), so I’m wondering if anyone who’s been to one before has any tips or wisdom they’d like to share.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Make sure you have a good gimmick and theme. Don't just roll up in a t shirt and shorts, think about what kind of Planeswalker you want to be, what would you look like if they made a card of the wizard you play games as? You don't need to buy custom robes, just whatever ones you have will do if you accessorize right.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Masks are normalized now, so even if your LGS has a funk, and I'll admit some do (though it's gotten way better than when I started playing) just mask up. No one cares.
Be nice. It's a prerelease. No one cares. And if they do, it's ok to concede. There's more fun to be had in the 0-X brackets than the X-0 brackets anyways.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
The Multiverse legends sheet really needs a closer look before you head to your pre-release, because you have stuff like Eldraine box topper/living staff of domination Kenrith the returned king on there.

Brudiclad, Telchor engineer is a rare that gives all tokens haste, and he makes 2/1 tokens at the start of every combat... and can turn all creature tokens into a copy of another creature token.

Putting commander cards directly into limited is a bold move.

There is some bizarre stuff in that sheet.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

brudiclad specifically looks gross in this set. turning your incubate eggs into 2/1s with haste and at least one +1/+1 counter on it is a pretty big surprise

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

whydirt posted:

Thought Experiment: What limited format(s), if any, from any set/block could produce decks strong enough to win historical Standard tournaments?

Mirrodin. I knew a dude that opened a couple of the blue affinity flying guy and a bunch of affinity Commons and boneshakers and Atogs and basically just upped a few of the commons to 4-of and rolled the FNM with it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dungeon Ecology posted:

brudiclad specifically looks gross in this set. turning your incubate eggs into 2/1s with haste and at least one +1/+1 counter on it is a pretty big surprise

one of the real neat synergies that showed up on loadingreadyrun's sealed prerelease is the new clone spell that can make a token copy of anything on the board

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Sylvian Wastes posted:

The Multiverse legends sheet really needs a closer look before you head to your pre-release, because you have stuff like Eldraine box topper/living staff of domination Kenrith the returned king on there.

Brudiclad, Telchor engineer is a rare that gives all tokens haste, and he makes 2/1 tokens at the start of every combat... and can turn all creature tokens into a copy of another creature token.

Putting commander cards directly into limited is a bold move.

There is some bizarre stuff in that sheet.

Prioritize removal. That's about all you can do. Some of the legends (Kenrith) are so busted as far as limited goes that it generally doesn't matter what the other 22 cards they run are, so all you can do against those things is try to remove it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Khanstant posted:

Make sure you have a good gimmick and theme. Don't just roll up in a t shirt and shorts, think about what kind of Planeswalker you want to be, what would you look like if they made a card of the wizard you play games as? You don't need to buy custom robes, just whatever ones you have will do if you accessorize right.

Just my Ren Faire outfit, got it.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Khanstant posted:

What if I want to be Elblanco the jorts caster? All my creatures wear jorts and tshirts.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Elblanco posted:

What if I want to be Elblanco the jorts caster? All my creatures wear jorts and tshirts.

With the Phyrexians down the Multiverse needs more disturbing villains.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

And if they do, it's ok to concede. There's more fun to be had in the 0-X brackets than the X-0 brackets anyways.

This is so true and important, I've met many a player that would have a way better time at casual events if they'd just throw in the towel rather than trying to grind every single win they can and be miserable the whole time

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 14, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I've only played against a few of those gotta-win types and it's usually been near the end of the night when I'm hungry and already considering just leaving to eat and chill.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lol, classic Sam Black

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Rinkles posted:

Lol, classic Sam Black

fuckit, let's see what happens. Keep!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Just hit Mythic in Standard with Monored

4 Bloodthirsty Adversary (MID) 129
4 Play with Fire (MID) 154
2 Reckless Impulse (VOW) 174
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
4 Thundering Raiju (NEO) 166
2 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
4 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
3 Phoenix Chick (DMU) 140
3 Squee, Dubious Monarch (DMU) 146
4 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144
3 Mishra's Foundry (BRO) 265
2 Strangle (SNC) 125
1 Shivan Devastator (DMU) 143
3 Cemetery Gatekeeper (VOW) 148
17 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Rending Flame (VOW) 175
2 Bloody Betrayal (VOW) 147
2 Obliterating Bolt (BRO) 145
1 Obliterating Bolt (BRO) 145
2 Brotherhood's End (BRO) 128
4 Furnace Punisher (ONE) 132
1 Jaya, Fiery Negotiator (DMU) 133

Stray thoughts:

- I don't have any Feldons and don't have the Wildcards, but Cemetary Gatekeeper is an all-star 2 drop and I was never sad to draw it. Usually you'll want to hit an instant, but I used it more than once to snatch an Atraxa out of their graveyard.
- Kumano Faces Kakkazan is a busted-rear end Magic card. Having multiples in your opening hand plus a 1 drop is the nut draw
- Furnace Punisher feels great to drop on someone running three or four color value piles (which is nearly everyone)
- Worst matchup is probably mono-black, and Sheoldred in general is a nightmare. You either her kill her the turn she hits the table, or she casually heals them back to full as your deck stalls out.
- Having someone spend all their resources brute forcing out an Atraxa only to Bloody Betrayal her and beat them to death with their own angel loving rules

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 14, 2023

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Got the 3-0 6-0 at prerelease with UW Convoke. Tetsuko was very good, probably going to be much better than she was in DOM. Having no spot removal is dicey in Sealed but I just got on board early, did my thing and countered my opponents' bad things.

I usually didn't care about flipping Invasion of Vryn but Segovia's backside was busted with the Convoke counterspells. I went into the set low on battles by default but I had two in the sideboard I could potentially have played, the Serra angel Battle or the 2UW bounce Battle that flips into a */* flyer.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Haha, no mention of having Elesh Norn in your pool? That card seems well and truly insane.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah she's pretty good, I got to play and transform her once. Sunfall is busted as well but I never played it. I had a lot of good rares but Invasion of Segovia was the one that featured the most, the rest of the deck felt very synergistic and felt good enough to be a draft deck.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Froghammer posted:

Just hit Mythic in Standard with Monored

4 Bloodthirsty Adversary (MID) 129
4 Play with Fire (MID) 154
2 Reckless Impulse (VOW) 174
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
4 Thundering Raiju (NEO) 166
2 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
4 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
3 Phoenix Chick (DMU) 140
3 Squee, Dubious Monarch (DMU) 146
4 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144
3 Mishra's Foundry (BRO) 265
2 Strangle (SNC) 125
1 Shivan Devastator (DMU) 143
3 Cemetery Gatekeeper (VOW) 148
17 Mountain

Sideboard
3 Rending Flame (VOW) 175
2 Bloody Betrayal (VOW) 147
2 Obliterating Bolt (BRO) 145
1 Obliterating Bolt (BRO) 145
2 Brotherhood's End (BRO) 128
4 Furnace Punisher (ONE) 132
1 Jaya, Fiery Negotiator (DMU) 133

Stray thoughts:

- I don't have any Feldons and don't have the Wildcards, but Cemetary Gatekeeper is an all-star 2 drop and I was never sad to draw it. Usually you'll want to hit an instant, but I used it more than once to snatch an Atraxa out of their graveyard.
- Kumano Faces Kakkazan is a busted-rear end Magic card. Having multiples in your opening hand plus a 1 drop is the nut draw
- Furnace Punisher feels great to drop on someone running three or four color value piles (which is nearly everyone)
- Worst matchup is probably mono-black, and Sheoldred in general is a nightmare. You either her kill her the turn she hits the table, or she casually heals them back to full as your deck stalls out.
- Having someone spend all their resources brute forcing out an Atraxa only to Bloody Betrayal her and beat them to death with their own angel loving rules

Hell yeah, I hit Mythic last month with Monored. It's a good deck, though it does feel kinda...cheap maybe? to play.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

mycomancy posted:

Hell yeah, I hit Mythic last month with Monored. It's a good deck, though it does feel kinda...cheap maybe? to play.

Mono Red/RDW/Sligh has a long and storied history in Magic. Attacking and doming opponents has been the core of the gameplay loop forever. It is literally the most fair Magic there is.

Don't ever feel bad about playing Mono Red.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mycomancy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5oc_9ObMzc

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Red is the most pure deck to play, just him em until someones dead. But blue gives u the power to say no to an opponents spell and suck their soul out. Thats why izzet is the colors for me

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yeah this.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

rickiep00h posted:

It is literally the most fair Magic there is.

Oh is that why mono-red is so fuckin boring to pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hated monored when I first started playing it out of necessity in Arena but over time I've come to enjoy the deck and standard itself. It's to me what a fun deck to pilot is, I get bored when I can't just play my fuckin cards or like need to just do nothing on my turn to maybe make a play or response later boo I wanna fire smash face gently caress your bullshit on the side gently caress these combos all we need is haste