Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
HARDEST kong to ESCAPE from
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 8 4.88%
Diddy Kong 3 1.83%
Dixie Kong 8 4.88%
Funky Kong 49 29.88%
Chunky Kong 8 4.88%
Bluster Kong 5 3.05%
Lanky Kong (demanded by Cheetah) 53 32.32%
Max Castillo 6 3.66%
Billy Mitchell 18 10.98%
Steve Wiebe 6 3.66%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is Mega Man Battle Network a good series? I never played them before, but I see there were six games released on GBA. What kind of games are they? Are they long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

the combat is cool, it's grid-based deck-based action turn-based

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bone emulator posted:

same, but only this:

:hai:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

I said come in! posted:

Is Mega Man Battle Network a good series? I never played them before, but I see there were six games released on GBA. What kind of games are they? Are they long?

They’re about twenty to thirty hours each and are definitely for children but they’re fun

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

cheetah7071 posted:

I think I can safely diagnose you with a skill issue
lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

They’re about twenty to thirty hours each and are definitely for children but they’re fun

I am baby, so I will like these I think. Going to get for Steam so I can play on Steam Deck.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I said come in! posted:

I really love the series, they're basically RPG deckbuilders with a lot of exploration and sidequesting, very fun.

Do keep in mind if you get the games that MMBN1 is not really indicative of the rest of the series, and can get pretty tedious; if you get bored of it I'd recommend just jumping ahead to 2.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
mmbn is one of the cooler deckbuilders to come out of that trend. the battle system is really unique, the field is split into two 3x3 grids and attacks usually have pretty strict tile-based hit boxes. you can only pick more than one card per "turn" if they're duplicates or if they share the same code (card suit). actual fighting is real time with a meter that has to fill before you can pick more cards. every card can come in like five different codes so the building focuses on you finding two or three codes with cards you like as opposed to a messy alphabet soup deck

the first one is kinda rough and its mechanics get way more polished in the second so that's where I'd recommend starting, but they're all really cool games (except 4)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also it's fun seeing tons of classic robot masters get actually good designs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's cyberpunk through the lens of an early 2000s kids anime

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It also predicted Internet of Things and I find that hilarious

As a kid I was like "why would you hook your oven to the internet? That's really stupid!" Oh how I'm eating those words now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

It's cyberpunk through the lens of an early 2000s kids anime

I've always wanted an open world Mega Man game with the cyberpunk style of the world portrayed on the box art of the NES games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Don’t play them for the stories

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Looper posted:

also it's fun seeing tons of classic robot masters get actually good designs

Yeah this I especially like Ring Man’s glow up

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
FF8 is one of the best final fantasies, but I remember talking about it recently to a friend, who was like: "REALLY??? REALLY???". She then played FF8 and said it was loving great. I remember when it came out it just didn't seem to have much cultural impact, whereas FF7 was super popular.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Arzaac posted:

As a kid I was like "why would you hook your oven to the internet? That's really stupid!" Oh how I'm eating those words now

No it’s still really stupid that you can even buy appliances that connect to the internet. Child you was right.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't play them for the stories, play them for the incredible programs who just live inside a child's toy and lament not being allowed to shout "put me down!" at the kids. Seems like every device has a couple sentient beings inside who have very limited functions yet retain the ability to yearn for more than they can ever have.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
MMBN also predicted that eventually surfing the net was akin to walking down long winding cooridoors to dead ends failing to find the one little drat thing you seek

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mr E posted:

No it’s still really stupid that you can even buy appliances that connect to the internet. Child you was right.

I agree wholeheartedly, I just never thought, you know. That people would be stupid enough to actually go and make hackable ovens.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I like BN1's scenarios and fights and regular dungeons (the web is a lot blander in design than later games), though it's a real shame there's no QoL improvements for the collection, and even enjoying the game I had a dark chuckle that this is one of the achievements.

Have fun grinding in the Undernet and still not getting that drat ShadoMn2 after running around in circles for ages waiting for the random encounter to even appear!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Arzaac posted:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hate trying to search Google for pictures of giraffes and end up running into BeastManΩ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hatty posted:

Hate trying to search Google for pictures of giraffes and end up running into BeastManΩ

Turn on safe search

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

I keep seeing this person's name come up (all of it negative), but I don't know who they are.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
permabanned poster BeastManΩ

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Khanstant posted:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

no ring

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Slow day at work today

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Fennekin is hella cute. It's a shame Delphox is the worst.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wanna hug cyndaquil

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Shinjobi posted:

I wanna hug cyndaquil

Is this the new version of "unalive yourself" the kids are using on TikTok?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont think so?:corsair:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Scorbunny ftw.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

He's threatening us with more LawBreakers. Somebody stop this man.

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/1646614585326067712?t=DKi4YDxUxcIy2hqivWOM6A&s=19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

He's the lawbreaker. He's going to jail for his crimes against gaming.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
do i remember right that the battle network games move really slowly? i really loved them as a kid and i really really love one step from eden but i'm worried about dropping a fat stack of bones.exe's on the collection only to get sick of running around in featureless netscapes

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BN1 is the only one you could really describe as a featureless netscape. Some of the others have pretty frustrating maps but it never gets as bad as the endless identical twisty paths on the salmon pink void of e again

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

please, cliffyb ... retire again

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

thank u to whoever did this to my avatar, I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011