Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why do I keep getting the same maps over and over again? I've got like 9 of one map that I've already completed, and none of the ones I haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bardeh posted:

Why do I keep getting the same maps over and over again? I've got like 9 of one map that I've already completed, and none of the ones I haven't.

Go talk to kirac

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Bardeh posted:

IIRC Generally if you're in a map, the maps that can drop are:
1) Adjacent maps on the atlas
2) Maps you've already completed
3) Unique maps
4) Maybe weird stuff like blight maps and conquerer maps I dunno?

Check Kirac for maps you need and also vendoring 3 of the same map will give a tier up, which can get you maps you haven't seen yet. Otherwise farm maps adjacent to ones you need.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

1) please post your pob, would bet there are some things you can do to be able to handle single target better

I will post pob when I get back to home. I have followed maxroll’s league starter build to the letter, next step is to follow maxroll’s separate endgame CF guide which details how to craft your own gear.

E: here https://pobb.in/0UJ2m9kb9Z-f

quote:

2) cf champ should be fukken up all the mobs in breach or legion, but to directly answer the question - expedition and exarch/eater altars if you can read, blight and ritual if you can't

I don't like legion and I don't see its point, so it's easiest to skip it then. I’ll respec to expedition, dunno what’s “exarch” so I’ll leave it later. Orbs seem to be plentiful so no need to be stingy with them.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 14, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Lore question I never really understood from running through the acts-- did the big bads in Oriath know Kitava was just like hanging out in that statue the whole time?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I don't like legion and I don't see its point, so it's easiest to skip it then. I’ll respec to expedition, dunno what’s “exarch” so I’ll leave it later. Orbs seem to be plentiful so no need to be stingy with them.
I don't know what the consensus is on Beyond nodes on the atlas tree, but tainted fusing and chromes can fetch you good money. the only issue I see if the Beyond bosses need decent single target but if you aren't doing rippy t16 mods, farming tier 14 maps (with exarch/eater) will work fine. I had fun with beyond, and the sextants are cheap

it's a lot of exp too, so level up some gems to flip to 20%, then corrupt and hope to hit 21. look at poe.ninja to get an idea what gems would be the most profitable. only do superior versions you can buy from Lily in town/hideout

ritual rewards are fine too and you don't need to worry about single target unless you add a boss to the ritual pool. expedition is probably a better choice but I don't like how it disrupts my ~flow~

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

and the claw won! posted:

3) Unique maps

Check Kirac for maps you need and also vendoring 3 of the same map will give a tier up, which can get you maps you haven't seen yet. Otherwise farm maps adjacent to ones you need.

^--In addition to that

- 3 maps of the same type give one of the tier up - those 3 *specific* maps sell for a *specific* tier up map. So if you have, say, 5 of a map, take all 5. Try different combinations (order doesn't matter) to get one you're missing.
- Check your Kirac missions at the Map device. Prioritize maps you haven't completed that are rolled enough to hit the atlas bonus (white maps - magic, yellow maps - rare, red maps - rare + corrupted)
- Use your scouting reports to reroll Kirac's missions. There's a variety of them, use the most sensible ones first, but they all give you a chance to get what you need.
- Every time you run a Kirac mission, Kirac's inventory resets. So fire up a mission, then check his inventory for any cheap maps to buy that you're missing.
- Use horizon orbs to change a map to another map of the same tier. Only do this if that tier has maps you need completion on.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

xZAOx posted:

I'm having a lot of fun still, but it might as well be in Standard. I also could fish for severed in sleep but meh. What I have is fine for now, and now I haven't touched the mechanic since Sunday.

I have this weird mental block where spending money on frags causes me pain. I like to work up to Sirus, Shaper, Maven, etc myself. Which means I'm still missing two watch stones like an idiot.

Tomorrow I'm going to just burn through excess maps with boss rushes to at least fight maven. See if my build has enough DPS to hard carry me though maven. gently caress that last memory phase especially.

Severed in Sleep is about 8c which is a far better cost than farming breach shards for chayula and hoping you get the drop.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zmej posted:

I don't know what the consensus is on Beyond nodes on the atlas tree, but tainted fusing and chromes can fetch you good money. the only issue I see if the Beyond bosses need decent single target but if you aren't doing rippy t16 mods, farming tier 14 maps (with exarch/eater) will work fine. I had fun with beyond, and the sextants are cheap

it's a lot of exp too, so level up some gems to flip to 20%, then corrupt and hope to hit 21. look at poe.ninja to get an idea what gems would be the most profitable. only do superior versions you can buy from Lily in town/hideout

ritual rewards are fine too and you don't need to worry about single target unless you add a boss to the ritual pool. expedition is probably a better choice but I don't like how it disrupts my ~flow~

I think tainted mythics are going to be expensive as people fish for good trees on rares and try to upgrade them into uniques; it's going to compete with people fishing for HH/mageblood and they were already expensive last league (about 4-6 per divine).

I think scours are going to be really expensive for the same reason. Could be wrong on both...

Anyway, beyond is a nice little boost to your income if you can handle the mobs.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

xZAOx posted:

I have this weird mental block where spending money on frags causes me pain. I like to work up to Sirus, Shaper, Maven, etc myself. Which means I'm still missing two watch stones like an idiot.

Yeah I am super cheap too! It is a real impediment in this game in the early weeks

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

poemdexter posted:

Severed in Sleep is about 8c which is a far better cost than farming breach shards for chayula and hoping you get the drop.

No, I meant farming for "the best" crucible trees on them. I got the sword on like, Saturday, lol.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Was doing Maven-witnessed Shaper and she had at least two clones going at once for several times during the fight resulting in a simultaneous bullet hell phase, beam through Zana's sphere thing, and slam onto it as well. I don't recall that being a thing before, is it bugged or something?

https://streamable.com/qwcx5w

There's a short clip showing it

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

goferchan posted:

Lore question I never really understood from running through the acts-- did the big bads in Oriath know Kitava was just like hanging out in that statue the whole time?

I don't know that it's ever established, but given Innocence's proximity to the Templars, I'd imagine whoever the High Templar was probably knew about it, and therefore the upper ends too.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

goferchan posted:

If you spend $5 on points or whatever, also, the game remembers it and will let you get a pack discounted by that amount (minus the associated points). You have to go through their website and not the Steam store though (for the packs, if you bought the points on Steam you still get the credit)

Only up to 80% of the pack value, but yeah it is good to note that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

Six days in, and I think I am done with the league, which is the quickest I’ve got done with a league since I started PoE. Not a fan of bow skills, so I’ve been stuck playing last leagues builds, wondering what I am bothering with since there is nothing new to engage with (playing poison SRS and have no inclination to keep buying Severed in sleep and tossing them in the crucible to see if I get a 5% dps increase). Started as PF Impending Doom to try the new PF and it was fine - not bad, but nothing so amazing that I’m wondering how to force PF at the next league start.

I hope for GGG’s sake that whatever they are holding back for Exilecon is worth it, and that it doesn’t get smothered by the D4 season 1 start. PoE2 beta is going to of little interest to me. Hopefully the expansion and league are enough to make me feel bad about stopping a month in before Baldurs Gate 3 and Starfield launch, if not I can thank Chris Wilson for saving me a years worth of supporter packs.

im playing vaal smite and it rules. u should try just playing things that sound fun instead of mainlining meta builds like theyre all thats viable and making yourself miserable. cheer.s

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Nephrite posted:

goferchan posted:

I don't know that it's ever established, but given Innocence's proximity to the Templars, I'd imagine whoever the High Templar was probably knew about it, and therefore the upper ends too.
I'd always assumed that Kitava wasn't exactly hidden inside the statue all along, it was just the particular object that Utava & Co. chose to incarnate Kitava into specifically as a giant and well-deserved gently caress You to the Templars and Innocence.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Drakyn posted:

I'd always assumed that Kitava wasn't exactly hidden inside the statue all along, it was just the particular object that Utava & Co. chose to incarnate Kitava into specifically as a giant and well-deserved gently caress You to the Templars and Innocence.

This was my thinking as well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I always forget utava exists even 30 seconds after i go the wrong way in oriath and have to kill him

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
There's a statue called Triumph of Innocence in The Chamber of Innocence (act 5), that depicts him striking down The Ravenous God. It comes with this text (emphasis mine):

statue posted:

Waves crashed upon the shores of Oriath.
Waves of Hunger.
Waves of Desire.
The Ravenous God and His starving multitude,
Rising with the tide,
Flooding our streets wih death and depravity.
Until Innocence cried out, "No more!"
Bathing our city in fire,
Scorching the wicked to ash and bone.
The Ravenous God fled,
Into the embrace of our glorious Saviour.
Driven down he was into soil, stone and beyond,

Into damnation,
By the Will and Light of our Innocence.

- High Templar Avarius

That's the closest thing to foreshadowing Kitava's appearing trick I can think of.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Stux posted:

im playing vaal smite and it rules. u should try just playing things that sound fun instead of mainlining meta builds like theyre all thats viable and making yourself miserable. cheer.s

Never been interested in Vaal Smite, as I have leveled with regular Smite a ton in the past, and never found that it enjoyable.

Jungroans poison Molten Strike looks intriguing and is the kind of thing I would normally move on to in the second weekend of the league, but it uses Pneumatic Daggers, which are 0.8 divs each and come from Heist, so it is again not something that can interact with the league mechanic that much if you get a bad tree on your main weapon.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wilekat posted:

Pouring one out for Saqawal gang. A friend of mine showed me the build last night and it is/was goofy as poo poo and looked like a lot of fun - shame it was melting servers!

That was the one thing that was making me want to actually try playing this league. I had a Twister build many leagues ago when Poison Assassin was good. Way to nerf it by 66% and then not increase the base damage. gently caress these clowns. As someone pointed out, now people are going to use Sabo CDR and Triggerbots which will bring the server strain back up while making it worse for any other class.

They did the same bullshit with setting a 60 orb limit on Volatile Dead, when they could have simply made it explode up to 3 corpses, and then make a single ball that seeks things out and when that explodes have the blast reoccur once per consumed corpse. That would have given it the same DPS with 1/3 the balls on screen (it was too many instances of their pathfinding AI that was straining servers).

It's just knee-jerk corrections with these dopes every time. They don't think anything through. Like they absolutely hosed a lot of people, I remember how drat hard that build was to roll, and that was back before Divines/Exalts were flipped.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

Go talk to kirac

and the claw won! posted:

3) Unique maps

I didn't know the vendor trick, and I didn't know that Kirac sold maps! Thanks guys

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Bardeh posted:

I didn't know the vendor trick, and I didn't know that Kirac sold maps! Thanks guys

Every time you do one of his missions his inventory resets so use that to fill in what you can.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
A question I've always had about making money in this game is how do you even start when you just hit maps? So far my strategy has been selling essences in bulk on TFT but that takes a bit before you get enough to make even a divine. I see other strategies mentioned but those usually take a bit of investment which is hard when your build is barely online and you have less than 10c to your name. I really have no idea how people are making crazy amounts of money early without lucky drops.

xZAOx posted:

^--In addition to that

- 3 maps of the same type give one of the tier up - those 3 *specific* maps sell for a *specific* tier up map. So if you have, say, 5 of a map, take all 5. Try different combinations (order doesn't matter) to get one you're missing.

What do you mean "if you have 5 of a map, take all 5"? And what different combinations?

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 14, 2023

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Let's say you have a map on the Atlas that connects to two on the next tier up. The 3:1 vendor recipe will result in one of the two options, which one depending on a hidden stat on the map item itself. You take 5 copies of a map, A-E, with you. Combinations A+B+C and A+B+D may vendor for map X, but A+B+E vendors for map Y. It's one of those things you can only determine when you're actually at the vendor.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
When y'all start mapping, are you running magic maps, or rare? Do you immediately start chiseling stuff?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Always alch, chisel reds (before you alch them)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

External Organs posted:

When you're just starting mapping, are you running magic maps, or rare? Do you immediately start chiseling stuff?

When I first start T1-5 I run them magic. If I don't feel squishy and I have enough damage, and I have a surplus of maps to run for completion bonus, then I go up to rare.

I don't like bricking a white map when I still needed it for completion bonus, unless I had another copy ready to go. This is kind of a waste of time, since white maps are almost worthless in reality, but I play as if my maps are SSF, I mostly avoid trading them.

Once I'm in yellows I'm running them rare because I need it for completion bonus. If my build can't do rare yellows I quit the league.

I don't use chisels until I'm doing T15-16

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
there are multiple maps that you can get from the 3:1 of a given map, and even though they all look the same you can mix up which three you are selling to get different maps out of them.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

External Organs posted:

When y'all start mapping, are you running magic maps, or rare? Do you immediately start chiseling stuff?

I save alchs for yellows, start chiselling around T9 or whenever I start getting a nice stock of them

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

whypick1 posted:

Let's say you have a map on the Atlas that connects to two on the next tier up. The 3:1 vendor recipe will result in one of the two options, which one depending on a hidden stat on the map item itself. You take 5 copies of a map, A-E, with you. Combinations A+B+C and A+B+D may vendor for map X, but A+B+E vendors for map Y. It's one of those things you can only determine when you're actually at the vendor.

I had no idea this was a thing wow.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I alch all my maps, use chisels on reds or when I have 50+ spare, but I also only play SSF so I'm happy to waste chisels or spend chaos to roll over mods I can't handle like reflect

J
Jun 10, 2001

poemdexter posted:

A question I've always had about making money in this game is how do you even start when you just hit maps? So far my strategy has been selling essences in bulk on TFT but that takes a bit before you get enough to make even a divine. I see other strategies mentioned but those usually take a bit of investment which is hard when your build is barely online and you have less than 10c to your name. I really have no idea how people are making crazy amounts of money early without lucky drops.

So first off the people making the most money are generally playing in a group of some sort. If we ignore that and only look at solo play, the people making big money very early are typically doing strategies that don't rely on any atlas tree at all. Things like heist, logbooks, lab running, etc. Nobody makes any money during that initial atlas completion phase. So the people doing atlas independent strategies are making way more money than the people trying to complete their atlas, and they'll use that money to buy things that are going to appreciate in value. Whether that be gear they actually plan to use, or just parking their money in things they know will go up in value. They'll get their own gear to a "decent enough" level to farm whatever they are farming, and will invest the rest.

As for the actual getting started part, if you're playing a Good Build™ there should be less awkwardness when you first hit maps and have no money. It helps if you do practice runs to identify the things that make it awkward, so you can put the money you do get into addressing those problems immediately.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

StoryTime posted:

There's a statue called Triumph of Innocence in The Chamber of Innocence (act 5), that depicts him striking down The Ravenous God. It comes with this text (emphasis mine):

That's the closest thing to foreshadowing Kitava's appearing trick I can think of.
Thanks, I had no idea this existed and now I really regret not having the attention span to ever read the unvoiced interactable objects.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there's a 300 page complete lore PDF someone put together on google drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qC0Z0G38C6orKhJrzolEfOeM-ZtghQ0M/view

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Is there any reliable way to get gems you need? I desperately need an unleash gem and a few others (plague bearer, increased AoE etc). Do I just have to get lucky and find them or is there a method to farming them somehow?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Frank Frank posted:

Is there any reliable way to get gems you need? I desperately need an unleash gem and a few others (plague bearer, increased AoE etc). Do I just have to get lucky and find them or is there a method to farming them somehow?

If they are Never available for your build in the early campaign just push to a6

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Or just ask a goon to grab you what you need if you're not on ssf

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Foo posted:

If they are Never available for your build in the early campaign just push to a6

Ok. I'm nearing the end of A2 so I still have a ways to go I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Act 3 and Act 6 are when you always get easy access to the majority of gems (unless you're in Ruthless probably but idk)

Prior to that, being in guild and asking for gems tends to work :D

e: Inc.AoE isn't available for anyone until A4 though