Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 11, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Ah yes, being 'screwed', a normal, everyday English phrase that implies... getting better treatment? Holbrook, you do three strips a day, and have for years. How do you flub a basic visual metaphor so loving badly?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Selachian posted:

Archie 1/27-29/47

This is really getting too close, if it ends up like the movie I'm going to be upset with Savage Steve Holland ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ollqyPwg18&t=131s

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(August 27, 1916)

Little Nemo(January 21, 1906) This one seems ok at least.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

You're doing biological research (purportedly) and your test tubes often contain fast-acting mutagenic substances. Cleaning them with the floor-dragging tail of a living snake sounds like a terrible idea.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 14, 2023

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 30, 1956)

Interesting to see Merlin in the first panel there, since we last saw him being dragged away (quite willingly) by Nimue.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/13/03

Brenda Starr 10/12-14/50

Smokey Stover 1/27/54

Everyday Movies 4/23/36

"Let's go in and try it on anyway."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 4/10-12/41

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 11, 2001)

Arlo, Janis. You are one of my all-time favorite comic strips, but for crying out loud KEEP YOUR CAT INDOORS.

I mean, isn't this after that storyline where the cat killed a mother bird and Janis tried to save the babies, but she ended up having to watch them die one by one?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

riderchop posted:

[quote="Ashsaber" post="531172434"]
Ah yes, being 'screwed', a normal, everyday English phrase that implies... getting better treatment? Holbrook, you do three strips a day, and have for years. How do you flub a basic visual metaphor so loving badly?
The author certainly has a few loose screws. :haw:

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey other than here, where can someone read The Creeps?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CommonShore posted:

Hey other than here, where can someone read The Creeps?

By downloading the zip file some goon saved. (e. here: https://files.catbox.moe/i2w8o5.rar)

It was on gocomics but was removed years ago.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 14, 2023

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Last panel got a genuine lol from me. "I'M BUSY"

Ashsaber posted:

Visual metaphor gags are pretty much the entire conceit of On the Fastrack, and he is guaranteed to mangle/completely botch at least two of them a week. I think the answer for "why" and "how" is simply that he's not as clever as he thinks he is, and no one cares. He submits his strips, his editor rubber stamps them, then they're distributed to newspaper editors across the country who are just happy to have content/a job for another day.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (May 17, 1935)

Peanuts (April 16, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 14, 1939)

Out Our Way (July 21-23, 1941)

The easiest shot I could've possibly taken.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Go gently caress yourself TomBat

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 30, 1956)

Interesting to see Merlin in the first panel there, since we last saw him being dragged away (quite willingly) by Nimue.

This seems like a great way to get a lot of promising young knights maimed for life.

Edit: watch out PBS, Batiuk’s coming for your rear end

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hostile V posted:

"Welome".

Once Again, Race-Faking Your Way Into Having A Boner

Oh my god gently caress off holbrook

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

These kinda strips are my least favorite Forths and make me agree with Transmodiar briefly. Let's get back to some character growth with grandma.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 14, 2023

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Green Intern posted:

This seems like a great way to get a lot of promising young knights maimed for life.

It was! History is full of young rulers getting a lance through the eye and getting killed.

King Henry VIII had a famous jousting accident that left him with a permanent leg injury and probable brain damage which many people blame for a major personality change afterwards.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

maltesh posted:

You're doing biological research (purportedly) and your test tubes often contain fast-acting mutagenic substances. Cleaning them with the floor-dragging tail of a living snake sounds like a terrible idea.

But what is the alternative? Some kind of small brush? Who could even imagine such a thing existing, let along know where to even BEGIN to find one!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (November 14, 1939)

This is great.

F Minus

:lol:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I don't believe this was established before and so I say "Oh come on!"

Andertoons

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I choose to believe his glasses are little video screens showing analog static.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

this is so good, Amaan

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Yeah, I'm sure those people got a fair and unbiased trial by the fascist regime.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I know that the Phantom has always been a comic about a white authoritarian punching guys and putting them in jungle jail, but it still feels weird to have a massive prison break and then the hero says "hey you can keep these ones" to the fascist warden.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Olympus posted:

the expression is "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down" but holbrook remembered it as a screw, and also misremembered it as the positive version, when hammering down is a bad thing. the positive version is "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Pretty sure it's getting tightened down so she can't leave despite poor working conditions. Unless people are misreading on purpose and I missed the joke.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Green Intern posted:

I know that the Phantom has always been a comic about a white authoritarian punching guys and putting them in jungle jail, but it still feels weird to have a massive prison break and then the hero says "hey you can keep these ones" to the fascist warden.

They've established in older stories that there are actual criminals in that prison, so I assume this is their way of making sure the audience knows that the phantom isn't letting the serial killers and rapists out along with the political prisoners.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Look at me. I am the Vargo now.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

Wallace the Brave

is...

is Spud just Roastbeef?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Rusty shrinking back to pre-teen size to make the panel layout work in #4. :allears:

Curtis is so close to being decent. Just hack that entire 4th panel off and :discourse:

Weembles posted:

They've established in older stories that there are actual criminals in that prison, so I assume this is their way of making sure the audience knows that the phantom isn't letting the serial killers and rapists out along with the political prisoners.

This is my reasoning too but we also have to remember that the Phantom went there to make sure the serial killer he likes is freed. It's a messy bit of morality all around. Also "well I can't just close this prison down forever because the fascist regime will restaff their fascist prison with new fascists" is not very satisfying for story closure. :haw:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bruceski posted:

Pretty sure it's getting tightened down so she can't leave despite poor working conditions. Unless people are misreading on purpose and I missed the joke.
That's probably what he was going for, but I didn't read it that way. Using as a metaphor a screw getting screwed when 'getting screwed' is a term used negatively is a poor choice. I knew that wasn't what he meant, but I couldn't think of any other reading, so I was thoroughly confused. 'Tightened down' or something similar would have never entered my mind.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Schwarzwald posted:

is...

is Spud just Roastbeef?

not depressed enough

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Thank god someone's finally taking a bold stand and calling public broadcasting out on their pledge breaks, that's how to wield your newspaper comic strip power

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i don't think childhood beef wasn't depressed, merely anxious and weird. spud has plenty of time to grow into roast beef proper

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Can Spud afford to go to the doctor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Spud has a core of confidence in himself that Roast Beef hasn't got. It's only everything else in the world that he's nervous about.