Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Just got my email from Hulu about MAX. Apparently it's going to cost me one dollar more. But I'll save money since I won't have to have a separate BattleBots Discovery+ subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1646623194617618432?s=46&t=Lszpmhlw-orZsCgiE77iUA

“No no no, these names are all too recognizable!”

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1646668069912170498

:sigh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just makes me think of Cinemax. Where is the softcore?!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know what this is but it looks like Kate Winslet having fun on HBO so I'm in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6bS2wMjI7o

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What the gently caress is a HBO

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Finally people can finally get the message without googling if a billion is a ton of money or just a lot

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also have their Squid Game reality show that has issues where contestants talk about it being rigged.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The idea of having two different live action shows named SQUID GAME on the same service is hilarious to me. An SEO nightmare.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Arist posted:

The idea of having two different live action shows named SQUID GAME on the same service is hilarious to me. An SEO nightmare.

"Squid Game, With More Guns". Not to be confused with Splatoon!

muscles like this! posted:

They also have their Squid Game reality show that has issues where contestants talk about it being rigged.

Oh poo poo, I missed the rigged accusations. I'll see if I can find a good article or Youtube breakdown of it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arist posted:

“Hmm, ‘squid game english’ has a ton of search volume on semrush, that means we should probably do a 1:1 remake but with white people, right?”

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

this is pure rumor and their source is youtube podcast that says Netflix pitched this to David Fincher lol

The whole remake angle is terrible, it was a plot point that Squid Games occur all over the world! Just have a spin-off that takes place in America.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

Oh poo poo, I missed the rigged accusations. I'll see if I can find a good article or Youtube breakdown of it.

Basically the accusations revolved around how there were two sets of contestants, people who went through a casting process and people who joined through an open call. The open call contestants were supposed to be given just as much of a chance but discovered stuff like the microphone packs they were given didn't actually work and there was also some kind of shenanigans about hotels and flights being booked like the producers knew who would be eliminated.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

The whole remake angle is terrible, it was a plot point that Squid Games occur all over the world! Just have a spin-off that takes place in America.

I'm down for this, if only because then I get to learn about what wild-rear end kids games they play in other countries.

muscles like this! posted:

Basically the accusations revolved around how there were two sets of contestants, people who went through a casting process and people who joined through an open call. The open call contestants were supposed to be given just as much of a chance but discovered stuff like the microphone packs they were given didn't actually work and there was also some kind of shenanigans about hotels and flights being booked like the producers knew who would be eliminated.

Ha, of course!

Vanity Fair article posted:

In addition to the allegedly inhumane environment, the former players said that the show was skewed toward high-profile participants—namely, TikTok and Instagram influencers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reality shows have had writers since the beginning.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh, absolutely, but is "some of these 'contestants' just straight-up have fake mics" a first?

I'm not sure if they still do this, but at least one contestant on older seasons of Drag Race have said that they found out they were being eliminated by having a hotel bill for "incidentals" (aka things billed to the hotel room, etc) and a note slipped under their door the morning of, prior to that day's filming.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

But this is supposed to be a game show, not reality television. Otherwise are we back to the days of the quiz show scandals?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Blindspotting back this weekend. :woop:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

this is pure rumor and their source is youtube podcast that says Netflix pitched this to David Fincher lol

I'm still pissed that the HBO Fincher remake of Utopia fizzled. They canceled the Channel 4 version to make it happen!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I’m still angry that the Milky Robot Show got cancelled. No, not Westworld! The OTHER Milky Robot Show!

Whenever there was a new episode on my DVR, it’s what I always watched first before anything else.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Blindspotting back this weekend. :woop:

First two eps are up now but I decided I wanted to rewatch season 1 first but there’s so much TV atm and lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did manage to binge the entire second season of Single Drunk Female without stopping while playing Vampire Survivors yesterday, though. It remains a good show! Pretty much on the same level as s1 I think, but without the funny probation officer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gonz posted:

I’m still angry that the Milky Robot Show got cancelled. No, not Westworld! The OTHER Milky Robot Show!

Whenever there was a new episode on my DVR, it’s what I always watched first before anything else.

:same:

I want to read that show bible so bad though. Just to see the crazy poo poo.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gonz posted:

I still need to self-immolate to protest the unjust cancellation of that show. :awesomelon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They ended with Satan turning Radiation Prophet into an Upside Down Jesus, and Milky Mom turned into a Full Body Condom by Grandma-Bot so she could turn the kids into mermaids, and I absolutely NEED to know what was coming next :stonklol:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Really unfortunate spot to stop. Goddamn you Zaslav. For the rest of my days I curse your name.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remember the episode where the kid found out his mom was a tree now?

Then later on they found some old data discs that said,"Hey don't do <thing>, you'll turn into a tree and a space snake will deepthroat you!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even a statement like that is loaded when it comes to Raised by Wolves.

His fake mom that killed his real mom so that she could escape on the ark ship on the enemy's side of the war but the kid didn't know she wasn't his mom at the time because kids were separated from parents at a young age and his fake mom developed more feelings and was a mom to him longer than his biological mom was so that she really is his real mom now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No, I think cancelling that one makes sense. It was really weird. It had an audience, but a small one.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

zoux posted:

No, I think cancelling that one makes sense. It was really weird. It had an audience, but a small one.

MODS?!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

Sol will punish you for your blasphemy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

zoux posted:

Here's how my logic (which is infallible) works re: commercial viability of an entertainment property.

Show ruled so they should have kept making it.

I will not be taking questions at this time.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know what this is but it looks like Kate Winslet having fun on HBO so I'm in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6bS2wMjI7o

ooh this looks like fun, thanks for the heads-up!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I want to hate on Max, but there will be enough there to justify $200/year probs

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm not surprised Wolves was canceled but I am surprised a follow up comic was never made on the cheap. So many cheap tie in comics exist that I can't believe it wouldn't be worth it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I want to hate on Max, but there will be enough there to justify $200/year probs

Lol I'm sure I waste that much on streaming and more a year but put that way I can't think of any lineup of shows recently worth that

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zachack posted:

I'm not surprised Wolves was canceled but I am surprised a follow up comic was never made on the cheap. So many cheap tie in comics exist that I can't believe it wouldn't be worth it.

Who would you get to draw it? I’m thinking someone like Travis Charest or Sean Murphy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who actually draws licensed comics is whoever is tracing over production stills.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ruddiger posted:

Who would you get to draw it? I’m thinking someone like Travis Charest or Sean Murphy.

Charlie Kelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Who actually draws licensed comics is whoever is tracing over production stills.

Jae Lee did some really good work on the Dark Tower comics.