Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

Lol most of them aren’t even full. They are like, 10+ feet down.

They're still pretty close, and most above historical average:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What are people in the south going to do if they can't talk about bringing Commiefornia to heel by cutting off its water

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Which will be way before the summer

lol, maybe you should take a look at the snowpack in the mountains before you throw claims out like this. There will be a fuckload of snow still on the mountains when summer begins, let alone being gone well beforehand

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the stuff at middle altitudes is where the major danger is. big spring storms mean a bunch of low-altitude snowpack melting all at once as it gets dumped on, and the runoff running into low areas already soaked by the same storms. that's what happened in 97 that made everything go apeshit

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
People still angry about building in a dry lake bed.
Tulare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydFdxg6AD98

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AhKo9hVxBs
https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/1646670604685246467

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

As someone who is poor and lives near the desert where its 100+ half the year.
Yes, please

"Three major utility companies in California are looking to restructure customer billing, and part of that means customers could be charged based on how much money they make."

https://www.latimes.com/business/st...more-affordable

"The precise dollar amount and other details will be determined by the California Public Utilities Commission, with a final decision approved by mid-2024 and fully implemented in 2025."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZErfPbU7bpo

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s absolutely idiotic

Let’s make eggs cost $5 per if you make over 100k
And your internet doubles
Your car insurance goes up too

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
watch PG&E just pocket the extra revenue rather than using this to charge the poor less

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’ll be easier to charge everyone more money and issue rebates based on income. Inefficient to be managing this at point of sale.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Or the state could just tax the rich and run essential utilities

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
lol, and, I cannot stress this enough, lmao.

https://sfyimby.com/2023/04/exclusive-skyscraper-proposed-for-2700-sloat-boulevard-in-outer-sunset-san-francisco.html

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I got a text from CA nurses association asking me to do stuff against SB 770, but it seems like a good bill? Anyone have the deets?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

quote:

“Suppose you want to hook up your electric car and you want to electrify your home heating or your water heater,” Sallee said. “You’re going to be rewarded under this rate structure because you’re going to be consuming, on net, more electricity from the grid.”

drat must be nice to not be a filthy renter.

I'm glad it'll help low income people and I guess homeowners, but it's gonna suck rear end for my situation.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

How many miles down do you think they’ll have to dig the foundations to put it on something firm?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

I got a text from CA nurses association asking me to do stuff against SB 770, but it seems like a good bill? Anyone have the deets?

SB 770 requires years of negotiation on federal waivers for establishing a state singlepayer healthcare system before it requires passing a state singlepayer law but federal law says that it has to be done in the reverse order, so the nurses union worries that it's going to be used by state politicians to pretend that they're for singlepayer then not do anything about passing a bill because they can't get the waivers (because they didn't pass a bill)

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

fermun posted:

SB 770 requires years of negotiation on federal waivers for establishing a state singlepayer healthcare system before it requires passing a state singlepayer law but federal law says that it has to be done in the reverse order, so the nurses union worries that it's going to be used by state politicians to pretend that they're for singlepayer then not do anything about passing a bill because they can't get the waivers (because they didn't pass a bill)

Another activist group (https://healthcareforall.org/), came out in favor of SB 770. I don't know enough about the poltical strategy to know which is the best approach.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Huh, and the equivalent assembly bill, AB 1690 is supported by both the nurses union and that group, but AB 1690 would establish CA singlepayer a couple years sooner

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah I’m real confused. I was all ready to call my rep but I don’t know what I’m demanding :confused: might wait on it but I feel bad not taking action for something important to me

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Hawkperson posted:

Yeah I’m real confused. I was all ready to call my rep but I don’t know what I’m demanding :confused: might wait on it but I feel bad not taking action for something important to me

I'm right there with you and I *am* confused. I sent emails to people I know in the respective orgs asking them about it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OgNar posted:

As someone who is poor and lives near the desert where its 100+ half the year.
Yes, please

"Three major utility companies in California are looking to restructure customer billing, and part of that means customers could be charged based on how much money they make."

https://www.latimes.com/business/st...more-affordable

"The precise dollar amount and other details will be determined by the California Public Utilities Commission, with a final decision approved by mid-2024 and fully implemented in 2025."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZErfPbU7bpo

hmmm if only we already had a way built into society to charge people for services on a sliding scale based on their income

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

hmmm if only we already had a way built into society to charge people for services on a sliding scale based on their income

I can't wait for the first CEO that takes a $1 salary (but gets 50 billion in stock options) to get billed the poverty rate.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If you think about it, all retail pricing on essential goods and services is a regressive tax, since a fixed price is higher percentage of a lower-income persons total income. Maybe we should price everything as a percentage of income so that society is more fair. We could call it the Social Income-Sized Market Rate.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Perhaps the state should guarantee essential goods and services, such as food, shelter, and healthcare, for free. Funded, potentially, by a progressive tax structure?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

jokes posted:

Perhaps the state should guarantee essential goods and services, such as food, shelter, and healthcare, for free. Funded, potentially, by a progressive tax structure?

That sounds hard, let's just empower private for-profit companies to collect income taxes without any guarantee of additional service.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Speaking of things that sound good but maybe they're bad, I signed a thing at a table in front of the grocery store the other day that they said was about rent control, and I think it was supposed to be in favor of rent control? But I just recently recovered from COVID-19 and have gnarly brain fog, so when I hurriedly tried to read the proposal it all just turned to spaghetti in my brain so I said "gently caress it, we ball" and signed it anyway so I could stop having a weird conversation about shoes with the tabling lady. Something about Newsom having said rent can go up 10% a year? Idk. Any of you know if I signed a cool good thing or a dumb bad thing?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Speaking of things that sound good but maybe they're bad, I signed a thing at a table in front of the grocery store the other day that they said was about rent control, and I think it was supposed to be in favor of rent control? But I just recently recovered from COVID-19 and have gnarly brain fog, so when I hurriedly tried to read the proposal it all just turned to spaghetti in my brain so I said "gently caress it, we ball" and signed it anyway so I could stop having a weird conversation about shoes with the tabling lady. Something about Newsom having said rent can go up 10% a year? Idk. Any of you know if I signed a cool good thing or a dumb bad thing?
https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ballot-measures/initiative-and-referendum-status/initiatives-referenda-cleared-circulation

Probably the second one (bolding per the above page)...

1942. (22-0008) posted:

EXPANDS LOCAL GOVERNMENTS’ AUTHORITY TO ENACT RENT CONTROL ON RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY. INITIATIVE STATUTE.

Current state law (the Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act of 1995) generally prevents cities and counties from limiting the initial rental rate that landlords may charge to new tenants in all types of housing, and from limiting rent increases for existing tenants in (1) residential properties that were first occupied after February 1, 1995; (2) single-family homes; and (3) condominiums. This measure would repeal that state law and would prohibit the state from limiting the right of cities and counties to maintain, enact, or expand residential rent-control ordinances.
Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on the state and local governments: Overall, a potential reduction in state and local revenues in the high tens of millions of dollars per year over time. Depending on actions by local communities, revenue losses could be less or more. (22-0008.)
There's probably a link to the actual text of the initiative statute somewhere.
I'm of the opinion of "Please ignore signature gatherers", and if you must sign something, only sign referendums or maybe pure constitutional amendments. I've written at length on how I don't like the ballot initiative process (particularly initiative statutes) in California and how it typically bypasses the legislative process. Also we have enough crap on the ballot every election, which makes me really cranky.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 15, 2023

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BeAuMaN posted:

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/ballot-measures/initiative-and-referendum-status/initiatives-referenda-cleared-circulation

Probably the second one (bolding per the above page)...

There's probably a link to the actual text of the initiative statute somewhere.
I'm of the opinion of "Please ignore signature gatherers", and if you must sign something, only sign referendums or maybe pure constitutional amendments. I've written at length on how I don't like the ballot initiative process (particularly initiative statutes) in California and how it typically bypasses the legislative process. Also we have enough crap on the ballot every election, which makes me really cranky.

Thank you, I appreciate it. And yeah, I do normally avoid signature gathering tables, this just happened to be a perfect storm of me being stuck next to the table as two of the oldest people on Earth stopped in the walkway to transfer their groceries from one grocery cart to another identical cart (???), hearing the phrase "rent control", making eye contact with the signature gatherer, and post-COVID brain fog making me an easily corralled livestock man for the time being.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

SlimGoodbody posted:

Thank you, I appreciate it. And yeah, I do normally avoid signature gathering tables, this just happened to be a perfect storm of me being stuck next to the table as two of the oldest people on Earth stopped in the walkway to transfer their groceries from one grocery cart to another identical cart (???), hearing the phrase "rent control", making eye contact with the signature gatherer, and post-COVID brain fog making me an easily corralled livestock man for the time being.
Nah I feel ya. Had one that was for uh... charity. It was some feeding people in disaster areas outside the US charity. Charity was rated fairly well on Charity Navigator, they had their CA license, etc. So I go and give in to the guy asking people at the door to the supermarket... except the guy didn't want a one-time donation, he wanted a recurring donation on my credit card. Would absolutely not take like $20; had to be recurring. I told him no and left being frustrated about the whole thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets paid per subscription.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 16, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Good for Oakland not dishing out a bunch of corporate welfare to the A's, but I'm going to miss them :(

I don't really know the ins and outs of the negotiations, but it seems like building stadiums and hosting the Olympics are pretty consistent rug-pulls and boondoggles for the people living there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Good for Oakland not dishing out a bunch of corporate welfare to the A's, but I'm going to miss them :(

I don't really know the ins and outs of the negotiations, but it seems like building stadiums and hosting the Olympics are pretty consistent rug-pulls and boondoggles for the people living there.

Yeah, but politicians get to say they brought X to their city which is a good boost to polls in the short-term for some reason, even if it breaks everything

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Interesting that Oakland lost both their football and baseball teams to Las Vegas.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Vegas has been trying to put together a full slate of sports teams for quite a while now, if the A's weren't going to move there then they were first up as a potential expansion city. It's also got a ton of unused land and rich as gently caress private investment dollars which means whoever goes there is going to get a swanky state of the art stadium for pennies on the dollar.

Absolutely sucks about the A's, I've said it in all the other threads and I'll repeat it here: John Fisher is a piece of poo poo, dude is worth over $2B and is the heir to the Gap fortune, and still runs his team like a goddamn poverty franchise. And now it looks like all his bargaining with Oakland to stay was just him laying groundwork to be able to justify jumping ship. Just absolute scum of the earth.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Rename the Angels back to California Angels and move them to Oakland

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Los Angeles Anaheim Angels of Oakland

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CPColin posted:

Rename the Angels back to California Angels and move them to Oakland

I'd be ok with this

besides the ducks, orange county won't really have any professional teams anymore and they can turn angels stadium to low cost hous.... well, a man can dream

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

OgNar posted:

OH NO!!!!!1

https://www.latimes.com/california/...them-being-cops

"Unless they are cleared by a Commission of Peace Officer Standards, or POST, investigation or succeed in an appeal, the officers accused of serious misconduct including sexual misconduct, fraud, excessive force and abuse on duty will not be able to work as sworn officers for any California police agency. This is an additional punishment to whatever actions prosecutors or their own departments take against them."

"The legislation was enacted in 2021, and author state Sen. Steven Bradford (D-Gardena) said it was needed to prevent police officers who are fired or resign during misconduct investigations from moving to another police agency."

Is this one of those "disciplinary" proceedings where the committee clears everyone and those who it doesn't always succeed on appeal? I'm not being snarky, I genuinely don't know and can't figure out how to google for it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Pretty much. I don't travel often but I was in Vegas for a work related event, and talking to someone there, they said they're paying for the football stadium by raising the occupancy fee/tax on hotels, so it taxes the tourists and not the locals :v:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

My street in Oakland has been actively disintegrating for the past 3 years or so. Like multiple blown out 6+” deep potholes disintegrating. Like you don’t really want to drive down it disintegrating, and when you do you don’t go faster than MAYBE 10 mph. gently caress the greedy rear end Oakland A’s. I was a fan since I was a kid, and they’ve been playing stupid handouts-for-billionaires grabass for at least a decade or two without even a pretense of caring for the fans. Good loving riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

When I say I’ll miss the A’s, I don’t mean I’ll miss the owners.