Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Rondette posted:

He was 33! Is it me or does he like at least 10 years older than that....why did everyone from the eighties look so much older?

Studies suggest that there is some environmental effect from more widespread smoking and such, but the bigger issue is psychological.

By way of example, you hear a lot of jokes about old men wearing their pants very high on the waist. This was the standard norm in the 40s and 50s, now it is something old men do. People tend to keep the hair styles, fashion, etc from when they were young for their entire lives. Younger people, who have different aesthetic norms, peg those styles as "old people" things. So when you look back, you think the person looks older than they are because they have a lot of "old people" things going on.

This affects you even if you yourself are in the "old people" group, because most people do keep their self-image in an appropriate age category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

been reading about Lawrence Tierney's time on set for Seinfeld as Elaine's dad, The Simpsons as the Try-and-Save security guy, and Reservoir Dogs as the boss. I would say that guy didn't age well, but turns out he was a batshit crazy abusive drunk for his entire career.

He tried to steal a knife from Jerry's apartment set, got mad when the audience laughed at his lines, and Larry David would threaten the cast and crew to bring him back for another episode because everyone was terrified of him. He got into a fistfight with Tarantino, hated Michael Madsen for no reason, and bullied Chris Penn into accepting lawn furniture he didn't need while stealing random poo poo off of restaurant tables. The Simpsons writers were so afraid of him they would hide under their desks when he was around, and the driver who took him in refused to take him back home. Basically his grumpy old crazy guy roles were not an act.

1. Imagine the loving balls on being that guy's agent in the 90s and getting him comedy gigs.

2. There's a terrifying alternate universe where he played the Judge in an adaptation of Blood Meridian and ended up getting arrested in the process.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rondette posted:

We were watching this old, if the time video about Douglas Adams and I was staggered when I looked up his age at the time this was filmed.

He was 33! Is it me or does he like at least 10 years older than that....why did everyone from the eighties look so much older?

Less good medicine, more smoking and drinking, and men didn't care so much about their appearance back then. One of the English teachers at my school in 1985 was a friend of Douglas Adams who had met him when they were at university, and he didn't look 34 by modern standards either.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Jedit posted:

Less good medicine, more smoking and drinking, and men didn't care so much about their appearance back then. One of the English teachers at my school in 1985 was a friend of Douglas Adams who had met him when they were at university, and he didn't look 34 by modern standards either.

I think this is it more than the fashion thing. The fashion stuff definitely matters, but for a lot of these people it's skin quality, bags under their eyes, this general desiccated look and no amount of a modern haircut is gonna make up for that.

I'm that old, roughly, and I don't look like that no matter how I have my hair, but I use moisturizer and sunscreen like a sane person.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

mind the walrus posted:

1. Imagine the loving balls on being that guy's agent in the 90s and getting him comedy gigs.

2. There's a terrifying alternate universe where he played the Judge in an adaptation of Blood Meridian and ended up getting arrested in the process.

1. He also appeared on modern Star Trek. Twice. In TNG and DS9.

2. He would have made a great Glanton, but would have been too old.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elissimpark posted:

1. He also appeared on modern Star Trek. Twice. In TNG and DS9.

2. He would have made a great Glanton, but would have been too old.

On TNG he was playing extremely to type as a gang boss, and even then he still went after Wil Wheaton. No idea how he got invited back for DS9 (where he played an alien arms dealer so still kinda of his type).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1643986134320685056?s=20

lots to chew on here, but what's especially funny about this is that girl boss peach isn't remotely a new thing. she was a playable character in smb2, had her own title with super princess peach, and repeatedly saved the mario bros. in every single one of the 90s cartoons.

It's called WrongThink, though. Is this not satire?

God I hate how hard it is to tell what is satire and what is right wing lunacy anymore.

So is the problem that this movie features just "a princess" who isn't helpless?

In one of the games Peach's weapons are based on her wild mood swings and ability to cry on command. Some of them she drives a kart. Some of them she can float.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Performative "culture war" horseshit, so what

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kit Walker posted:

I think it's just a thing with characters who were written to be kind of annoying but were played by actors who were clearly very attractive people. See also Fran Drescher in The Nanny

Both are gorgeous and hilarious. Fran Drescher is an amazingly strong person. Nanny Fine was also a style GOD.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

lots to chew on here, but what's especially funny about this is that girl boss peach isn't remotely a new thing. she was a playable character in smb2, had her own title with super princess peach, and repeatedly saved the mario bros. in every single one of the 90s cartoons.
Yeah the game where you touch the screen to change her emotions at will (for the most part). Ok sure they worked in solid cartoon logic way, like Cry on a plant to make it grow, Rage to break through stuff but like why not make it Luigi? The game was pretty decent aside from that.
They did call it Vibes though and this was back in 05. When did Vibe check and Vibes become a cool term?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
The silly thing is that pretty much all of the nonsense from the sexist assholes side is because Mario mistakenly believes that Peach did this obstacle course on her first try and she doesn't dissuade him from believing that because he admires her for it. It turns out that it took her like nearly twenty years to complete the obstacle course that he had almost mastered in a single day.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Arivia posted:

On TNG he was playing extremely to type as a gang boss, and even then he still went after Wil Wheaton. No idea how he got invited back for DS9 (where he played an alien arms dealer so still kinda of his type).

For anyone interested, tracked down the story from Wheaton (a quote with slurs is spoilered):

Wil Wheaton posted:

Lawrence Tierney, who played Cyrus Redblock, was infamous around Hollywood for having much in common with the tough guys he played in the movies. I had an encounter of my own with him just outside Stage 16 (affectionately known to all who worked there as Planet Hell) while we filmed this episode.

"Hey," he said to me one afternoon between scenes, "do you play football?"

I was 15 at the time, and weighed 95 pounds . . . if I was soaking wet and carrying a ten-pound weight.

"Uh, no," I said.

He leaned into me, menacingly.

"Why the hell not? What are you, some kind of sissy human being?"

I panicked, certain that he was going to beat the poo poo out of me because I was more comfortable throwing 3d6 than a pigskin.

"I'm not strong enough to play football!" I said.

"Well, maybe you wouldn't be so weak if you played football!" he growled.

An assistant director arrived just in time to call us to the set and save me from certain death.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

For anyone interested, tracked down the story from Wheaton (a quote with slurs is spoilered):

The dude was a regular lunatic.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It really boggles me how Tierney kept getting work despite literally EVERYONE who ever worked with him having a horror story about him.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'm not convinced he was ever actually cast for anything, I assume he just showed up on sets and intimidated people until they agreed to give him a part.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

I'm not convinced he was ever actually cast for anything, I assume he just showed up on sets and intimidated people until they agreed to give him a part.

The thought of him doing that for TNG makes me laugh.

"But we're in space..."
"I DON'T loving CARE"

And thus the holodeck was born.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

AceOfFlames posted:

It really boggles me how Tierney kept getting work despite literally EVERYONE who ever worked with him having a horror story about him.

What's surprising is that there are still plenty of celebrities even today who are exactly like that. Their personal history is just a long string of being awful to everyone around them, everyone on set hates their guts and avoids them as much as possible, and they still continue getting dozens of roles and live in absolute luxury. I don't know whether it's nepotism, inertia, or just popularity with the audience, but it sucks that there are countless talented performers who are actually good people who will never make it in the industry

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I really hate this one dea people have that you have to be this tortured, toxic piece of poo poo to make great art. Every biopic spends 90% of it's runtime showing the main character ruining the lives of his loved ones, but then he plays that one song everybody loves, so all is forgiven. Which given what we now know about Hollywood, I think it makes sense that producers would be drawn to those kinds of stories.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr Interweb posted:

For a woman who says women should be meek and submissive she sure does express a lot of opinions.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Splicer posted:

For a woman who says women should be meek and submissive she sure does express a lot of opinions.

Rules for thee but not for me

hallo spacedog has a new favorite as of 12:22 on Apr 14, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Splicer posted:

Being a hispanic nazi also does not seem like a combination for career or really overall longevity.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I AM GRANDO posted:

Being a hispanic nazi also does not seem like a combination for career or really overall longevity.
Nazis love pronoun panic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah can you imagine Spaniards getting into fascism? Absurd!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

I really hate this one dea people have that you have to be this tortured, toxic piece of poo poo to make great art. Every biopic spends 90% of it's runtime showing the main character ruining the lives of his loved ones, but then he plays that one song everybody loves, so all is forgiven. Which given what we now know about Hollywood, I think it makes sense that producers would be drawn to those kinds of stories.

There's a Michael Fassbender movie, Frank, that is a good repudiation that you have to be an rear end in a top hat to make good art.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

There's a Michael Fassbender movie, Jobs, that is a good repudiation that you have to be an rear end in a top hat to make good art.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

There's a Michael Fassbender movie, Alien: Covenant, that is a good example of how you have to be an rear end in a top hat to make good art.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

There's a Michael Fassbender movie, Assassin's Creed, that is a good repudiation that art made by assholes is good.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

There's a Michael Fassbender movie, The Snowman, where Fassbender plays a guy named Harry Hole :lol:.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

There's a Michael Fassbender movie, Inglourious Basterds, that is a good movie because a lot of Nazis die in it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

There's a Michael Fassbender movie, Angel, that is a Michael Fassbender movie.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

There's a Michael Fassbender hole, in his rear end, that is a good example of how you need an rear end in a top hat to make poo poo

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Michael Assbender :smug:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

There's a Michael Fassbender movie, Shame, that is a good repudiation that you have to be an rear end in a top hat to make good art.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Did you hear the latest? Micheal Fassbender poops from his rear end in a top hat! Film at 11!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WKgMgjfues&pp=ygUQbWFnbmV0byBraWxscyBuYQ%3D%3D

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

DreadUnknown posted:

Did you hear the latest? Micheal Fassbender poops from his rear end in a top hat! Film at 11!

I sigh, as I unholster my ray gun engraved with "Cancel Culture" down the barrel

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

I'll wait til it lands on Netflix.

Then watch Cuphead instead.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

aww man, don't tell me he was an rear end in a top hat on the set of A Bear Named Winnie :( don't take that away from me

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hear he took a Pooh on set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Croccers posted:

Yeah the game where you touch the screen to change her emotions at will (for the most part). Ok sure they worked in solid cartoon logic way, like Cry on a plant to make it grow, Rage to break through stuff but like why not make it Luigi? The game was pretty decent aside from that.

wait, why?

quote:

They did call it Vibes though and this was back in 05. When did Vibe check and Vibes become a cool term?

i started hearing it about 5 years ago