Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Tim Scott is trying to rebound from his strange response to the question of what he would do about abortion.

He is still being very careful to not mention any specific policy, but is reassuring the pro-life community that he would "literally sign" the strongest pro-life bill that would be able to make it to his desk if he was President.

However, he still gets tripped up by a basic follow-up question about if he has any personal preferences on how long the window should be for abortion to be legal and whether he would support a federal ban.

quote:

"I’m not going to talk about six or five or seven or 10," he added.

Scott also declined to specify about whether that included supporting a national ban, stating, "I'm not going to deal with a bunch of hypotheticals."

Still baffling that he doesn't have a better response. Especially since it seems like he gave this interview specifically to clean up his previous bad response.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1646938526271807491

quote:

If elected president, Sen. Tim Scott vows to sign the 'most conservative, pro-life legislation' that Congress sends him

GOOSE CREEK, S.C. — Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., promised in an interview with NBC News on Friday that if elected president, he would support the "most conservative pro-life legislation” that Congress sends him, leaving open the possibility that it could be as early as six weeks but not committing to a specific time frame.

"If I were president of the United States, I would literally sign the most conservative, pro-life legislation that they can get through Congress," Scott said.

"I’m not going to talk about six or five or seven or 10," he added, pressed by NBC News about what the federal cutoff should be. "I’m just saying that whatever the most conservative legislation is that can come through Congress."

Scott also declined to specify about whether that included supporting a national ban, stating, "I'm not going to deal with a bunch of hypotheticals."

Abortion has been a tricky issue for Republicans since the Supreme Court removed the federal right to access abortion in 2022, with Democrats effectively running on it in the midterm elections. And Scott himself struggled to articulate a clear position in recent days, making clear he’s “100% pro-life” but not delineating what week-mark he’d support for a ban.

Scott's abortion views could potentially put him at odds with moderate voters. A majority of Americans believe that abortion should be legal in all or most cases, according to polling.

Scott also responded for the first time to Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signing Florida’s six-week abortion ban into law on Thursday, saying that the anti-abortion legislation should be celebrated.

"As the culture of life is being protected, we should celebrate that," he said. "States will have different varying views on that."

The senator announced an exploratory committee for a 2024 presidential bid on Wednesday after months of speculation that he may jump in the race.

When pressed on potentially running against Donald Trump in the primary, Scott said that Americans are looking for positive, optimistic leadership anchored in conservatism, dodging questions about why he thinks he would make a better candidate than the former president.

"So while people want to have a conversation about other candidates, I'm going have a conversation about what I can do to lead us to the type of future that I want the country to have," Scott said.

Scott also said he has not spoken with the Trump about his possible presidential run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Yeah, in hindsight, it was a very ill-thought-out comment on my part. I genuinely don't care how people choose to eat their steak, and I still eat my fair share of fast food myself. I think what I was more going for was the idea of the DeSantis team trying to go tit-for-tat with Trump and failing miserably, but obviously my attempt to so that was an incredibly poor one.

Thank you. The underlying idea may play out, although I give it even odds DeSantis runs away versus speaking out and having it hilariously backfire.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tim Scott is trying to rebound from his strange response to the question of what he would do about abortion.

He is still being very careful to not mention any specific policy, but is reassuring the pro-life community that he would "literally sign" the strongest pro-life bill that would be able to make it to his desk if he was President.

However, he still gets tripped up by a basic follow-up question about if he has any personal preferences on how long the window should be for abortion to be legal and whether he would support a federal ban.

Still baffling that he doesn't have a better response. Especially since it seems like he gave this interview specifically to clean up his previous bad response.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1646938526271807491

It's not really a bad answer until someone else who's running gives a better one. It's pretty clear he doesn't have a very specific position on abortion policy and is just trying to pander to the anti abortion lobby without pissing anyone else off, but he's hardly alone in that. And as long as he signs their bills, they don't really have any reason to be mad at that. It's not like Trump has staked out a position on exactly how an abortion ban should be written either.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not really a bad answer until someone else who's running gives a better one. It's pretty clear he doesn't have a very specific position on abortion policy and is just trying to pander to the anti abortion lobby without pissing anyone else off, but he's hardly alone in that. And as long as he signs their bills, they don't really have any reason to be mad at that. It's not like Trump has staked out a position on exactly how an abortion ban should be written either.

He introduced and sponsored a bill two years ago that would ban abortion entirely nationwide - except for cases of rape and incest. It's not even ancient history.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Trump doesn't have an explicit position, true, but hasn't he been out there blasting Republicans for being too draconian* in the laws that they're creating and signing at the state level post-Dobbs? Scott, while trying to avoid a specific number, is claiming he'll sign the most Conservative bill that lands on his desk, while Trump is basically saying that the law should be more lenient and have more allowances for rape and incest.

Now, Trump is only following the trends of popular polling, but it has the effect of staking his position far to the left of the other Republican candidates**, and as the leading candidate in the polls I don't see how it's to the benefit of a Scott or a DeSantis or a Haley to try and tack further right on this issue.

* That's too big of a word for Trump himself to use directly, but you know what I mean.
** We're also all just going to ignore that Trump a) created the Supreme Court that directly lead to this scenario, despite what people were warning about in 2016, and b) that he had previously been on debate stages claiming that there should be "some consequences" for women that did get abortions.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey, thanks for calling out the steak stuff MPF (and thanks for the mea culpa Gandhi), because stuff like that is so common that I barely take notice of it, which is a problem in and of itself, and also the first step towards actively playing into it.

Where's it come from? Well, some liberals are just very well-off, and well-off people of all ideologies tend to be elitist. But there are also uniquely liberal sources of elitism.

Conservatives (outside your Buckley-types) usually draw their sense of virtue from religious faith or tribal affiliations. (In the US context, basically, if you're a white Christian, you're good.) But liberals don't have that. In that vacuum we pride ourselves on our compassion and open-mindedness, which naturally tend to lead to cosmopolitanism, which elitism is all tied up with.

And as people living in a capitalist society, raised under that system’s propaganda, norms and values, we are also susceptible to associating wealth with virtue. So some liberals think, consciously or unconsciously, that what rich people do must be good. (I mean Christ, we are all super jazzed to watch the show about horrible, soulless billionaire conservative propagandists while tacitly admiring the absurd wealth and status symbols they surround themselves with.)

Conservatives like rich people in theory. They like the EXISTENCE of rich people, and the thought that they may some day be one. But the rich don't tend to share their same tribal values, so while the "hard work" they did to get rich is seen as virtuous, the specifics of their (generally cosmopolitan!) lifestyles are not.

This leads to a cultural divide in which “classy” stuff like rosé, chai lattes, electric bikes and college professors are on one side of a line while those on the other side fetishize the trappings of grit and austerity. This is something that’s kind of going in both directions; both sides are repelling each other and defining themselves partly by opposition to the others. But liberals drive this phenomenon just as much as conservatives do.

It’s all made much worse by the mainstream media, which institutionalist liberals are quick to take cues from, and which is funded, produced and presented by the upper class. A lot of people just can’t come up with their own political arguments, so they just repeat stuff they heard on TV, which came from somebody who had rich parents and went to Yale. This is the source of a lot of your bad “well done steak”-style tweets.

Conservatives are going to make the argument that liberals are elitist no matter what - it’s just a narrative that easily presents itself with the current coalitions of each party. But silly liberal jokes about McDonald's certainly make the argument more effective.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I just thought goons were funnier, that's what upsets me
:hmmyes:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Class3KillStorm posted:

Trump doesn't have an explicit position, true, but hasn't he been out there blasting Republicans for being too draconian* in the laws that they're creating and signing at the state level post-Dobbs? Scott, while trying to avoid a specific number, is claiming he'll sign the most Conservative bill that lands on his desk, while Trump is basically saying that the law should be more lenient and have more allowances for rape and incest.

Now, Trump is only following the trends of popular polling, but it has the effect of staking his position far to the left of the other Republican candidates**, and as the leading candidate in the polls I don't see how it's to the benefit of a Scott or a DeSantis or a Haley to try and tack further right on this issue.

* That's too big of a word for Trump himself to use directly, but you know what I mean.
** We're also all just going to ignore that Trump a) created the Supreme Court that directly lead to this scenario, despite what people were warning about in 2016, and b) that he had previously been on debate stages claiming that there should be "some consequences" for women that did get abortions.

Trump is on both sides of every issue and I don't think anyone who has stuck with him to this point is going to penalize him for it.

He is right now attacking Ron DeSantis for saying he wanted to cut Medicare when Trump proposed a budget that cut Medicare every single year he was President.

He was for banning handguns and also the most pro-gun President ever.

He said he was the most pro-life President ever and also says that Republicans shouldn't talk about abortion because it is bad politics.

He assassinated an Iranian general, wanted to bomb Mexico, and killed 6x as many people with drones in 4 years than Obama did in 8, yet says he is a peace candidate.

His favorite book is the bible and he says he loves "Two Corinthians."

Nobody is going to suddenly realize he isn't ever honest at this point.

Scott is totally undefined, so doing weird stuff like this that will make everyone mad and make him seem like a "typical politician" does not benefit him in any way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was the extremely funny moment in the 2016 campaign when someone led Trump to say that women who have abortions should be punished and the entire right convulsed in one frantic "nooooo you're giving the game away"

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 14, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

There was the extremely funny moment in the 2016 campaign when someone led Trump to say that women who have abortions should be punished and the entire right convulsed in one frantic "nooooo you're giving the game away"

Yeah that was Chris Matthews of all people. He just flat out asked "Should women who have abortions face criminal charges?" and Trump went "Hell yeah they should!" and even Matthews blinked in shock going and went "Oh holy gently caress I didn't expect him to actually say yes, what the gently caress? :stare:"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah that was Chris Matthews of all people. He just flat out asked "Should women who have abortions face criminal charges?" and Trump went "Hell yeah they should!" and even Matthews blinked in shock going and went "Oh holy gently caress I didn't expect him to actually say yes, what the gently caress? :stare:"

It was very funny and instructive because Trump clearly wasn't familiar with the political tightrope walking the pro-life movement does.

It went:

"Are you pro-life?"

"Yes, I'm pro-life."

"So, you want to make abortion illegal?"

"Yes, I'm pro-life."

"If abortion is a crime, then should women who get one be punished?"

"Yes, obviously you should be punished if you commit a crime. I'm very tough on crime. If you commit a crime, then there has to be some form of punishment."

Which is the obvious logical (and unspoken) conclusion of the pro-life movement, but it ended up with pro-life organizations distancing themselves from Trump:

quote:

March For Life, a group that opposes abortion rights, said Trump's statement was "completely out of touch with the pro-life movement and even more with women who have chosen such a sad thing as abortion." Jeanne Mancini, president of the March for Life Education and Defense Fund, said, "No pro-lifer would ever want to punish a woman who has chosen abortion. This is against the very nature of what we are about."

Then, Trump released this statement (that was extremely, definitely, and 100% written by him) less than 24 hours later:

quote:

"If Congress were to pass legislation making abortion illegal and the federal courts upheld this legislation, or any state were permitted to ban abortion under state and federal law, the doctor or any other person performing this illegal act upon a woman would be held legally responsible, not the woman. The woman is a victim in this case as is the life in her womb. My position has not changed — like Ronald Reagan, I am pro-life with exceptions."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

He introduced and sponsored a bill two years ago that would ban abortion entirely nationwide - except for cases of rape and incest. It's not even ancient history.

Are you talking about the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act of 2021, which outright banned abortions after 20 weeks nationally? It was introduced by Lindsey Graham seven days after the Dems took control of the Senate in 2021, and co-sponsored by 45 of the 50 GOP senators at the time. Also, Roe was still in effect at the time.

The Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Acts of 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018, and 2019 all shared those same properties of "co-sponsored by almost all the GOP senators", "don't have enough votes to actually pass" (only one of them even made it to the Senate floor, where it was filibustered), and "Roe hasn't been overturned yet".

Class3KillStorm posted:

Not really, no. On the campaign trail in 2016, he was super anti-abortion, but didn't commit to specific policies beyond overturning Roe and suggesting that women who get abortions should be punished (which he quickly walked back).

After the GOP did poorly in 2022, he did complain on Truth Social that the "abortion issue" was "poorly handled" by the GOP. But in the very same post, he also blamed anti-abortion activists for not showing up to the polls, and implied that they'd selfishly abandoned the GOP after getting what they wanted. And as he's spun up his 2024 campaign, he's pointedly refused to take a clear position on abortion policy. When the AP asked him last month whether he supported a federal abortion ban, he dodged the question and tried to talk about "radical-left lunatics" instead.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mellow Seas posted:

Hey, thanks for calling out the steak stuff MPF (and thanks for the mea culpa Gandhi), because stuff like that is so common that I barely take notice of it, which is a problem in and of itself, and also the first step towards actively playing into it.

Where's it come from? Well, some liberals are just very well-off, and well-off people of all ideologies tend to be elitist. But there are also uniquely liberal sources of elitism.

There is literally no cheap way to eat steak and it costs the same whether you take it raw or burnt to a crisp. Calling it elitism to make jokes about the correct level of doneness (medium rare) for a luxury food item does not even make sense.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Baronash posted:

There is literally no cheap way to eat steak and it costs the same whether you take it raw or burnt to a crisp. Calling it elitism to make jokes about the correct level of doneness (medium rare) for a luxury food item does not even make sense.

Poor people(or those who grew up poor) tend to overcook meat, even when they stop being poor, because often you get low quality or close to expiring product and you make sure it's well done so you don't get sick because you can't afford to get sick.

Also you can definitely get a cheap steak at like Denny's we're not talking dry aged porterhouse here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Little surprising

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1646962788621864967?s=46&t=SGjc-kX_f4F_yldTowt91w

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's not really Alito personally doing it or an indication of which way anyone is going on the merits of the case. This is just an emergency stay because the court is going to take up the case and they want a few days to review.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

Has Mike Judge been vocal about "woke" stuff? In the past, he seems to have gone out of his way to avoid saying anything particularly partisan. Liberals and conservatives can both pick bits of his stuff that suits their views and I'm sure he'd love to keep it that way.

No. He’s a libertarian and has quite a bit of “nanny state” bend, but overall the politics of KotH have been on average quite good. Season 2 had an entire story arc about how MegaloMart destroys small businesses and ruins local towns. The episode where Dales father comes out as gay was handled way better than most other sitcoms of the 90s.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

If you want to make fun of Trump regarding food, make fun of him serving McDonalds hamberders (sic) to the Clemson Tigers after they won the NCAA championship.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you want to make fun of Trump regarding food, make fun of him serving McDonalds hamberders (sic) to the Clemson Tigers after they won the NCAA championship.

I mean, they were a bunch of 18-21 year olds from the south who eat 8,000 calories a day to train, they were probably absolutely down for some free McD's. The real offense was serving the berders cold.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They were served fast food because the dimmer was during a government shutdown. Not that I would put it past Trump to have done that with or without the shutdown, but staff was unavailable because of the shutdown.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Star Man posted:

They were served fast food because the dimmer was during a government shutdown. Not that I would put it past Trump to have done that with or without the shutdown, but staff was unavailable because of the shutdown.

IIRC the government was shut down because Congress wouldn't approve $5B for Trump's border wall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

It's not really Alito personally doing it or an indication of which way anyone is going on the merits of the case. This is just an emergency stay because the court is going to take up the case and they want a few days to review.

Also wouldn't it have to be Alito regardless because he's the one associated with the fifth circuit?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

Also wouldn't it have to be Alito regardless because he's the one associated with the fifth circuit?

Yes. They change around assignments periodically, but I think Alito is currently the third and fifth circuit justice. Issuing a temporary stay while they are taking the case up doesn't really indicate which way he is planning on voting on the merits.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shooting Blanks posted:

IIRC the government was shut down because Congress wouldn't approve $5B for Trump's border wall.

I had to look up if it was the first shutdown that lasted one weekend or the shutdown that lasted thirty-five days. It was during the long shutdown over the border wall. What a wild month that was.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

FCKGW posted:

No. He’s a libertarian and has quite a bit of “nanny state” bend, but overall the politics of KotH have been on average quite good. Season 2 had an entire story arc about how MegaloMart destroys small businesses and ruins local towns. The episode where Dales father comes out as gay was handled way better than most other sitcoms of the 90s.

That's because Judge got pushed into the background starting with the second season, as a team of more sympathetic writers took control. He had much more of a hand in writing the first season and it shows.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The McDonald's banquet is quite possibly the funniest event in American political history.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Did we ever get the inside scoop on the McDonalds that suddenly got an order for like 200 Big Macs don't ask what they're for?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I know Judge was buddies with John K, though last I heard of that was over half a decade ago

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Tayter Swift posted:

Did we ever get the inside scoop on the McDonalds that suddenly got an order for like 200 Big Macs don't ask what they're for?

The identity of the Preferred White House McDonalds is a closely guarded national security secret, at the order of the executive branch since the Clinton presidency.

We all know you don't go to the closest one, you go to the Good One that makes the stuff right.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I know Judge was buddies with John K, though last I heard of that was over half a decade ago

What are John K's politics? Making gross-out, demented children's cartoons doesn't necessarily give away too much info, that could go in a few different directions

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Judgy Fucker posted:

What are John K's politics? Making gross-out, demented children's cartoons doesn't necessarily give away too much info, that could go in a few different directions

Pretty dang right wing (though nowadays people focus more on him having groomed various teenage girl animators who wanted to work with him)

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Multiple McDonalds, or any fast food chain, receive an order when it visibly comes from the White House to reduce the possibility that any single point of contact can tamper with the food. So that order of 200 burders was actually an order of 1,000 burders spread throughout the DMV.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Laterite posted:

The McDonald's banquet is quite possibly the funniest event in American political history.

It's something I'd expect out of an early 1990s comedy starring a 14 year old Macauly Culkin who, in a bizarre chain of events, finds that he's been elected president.

He learns that a foreign delegation is coming and is expecting food, but they can't cook enough in the time before the delegation arrives, so he says, "Go to Mcdonalds!" And there's a whole montage where they go, set everything up and the delegation is *very* impressed

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Meatball posted:

It's something I'd expect out of an early 1990s comedy starring a 14 year old Macauly Culkin who, in a bizarre chain of events, finds that he's been elected president.

He learns that a foreign delegation is coming and is expecting food, but they can't cook enough in the time before the delegation arrives, so he says, "Go to Mcdonalds!" And there's a whole montage where they go, set everything up and the delegation is *very* impressed

Ah yes, in my country of Made-Up-But-Still-Somehow-Kinda-Racist-Soundingstan, we call these steamed hams.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Didn't it also happen as the Steamed Hams meme was exploding, just to pile more evidence on the Fates being Simpsons fans?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Morrow posted:

Multiple McDonalds, or any fast food chain, receive an order when it visibly comes from the White House to reduce the possibility that any single point of contact can tamper with the food. So that order of 200 burders was actually an order of 1,000 burders spread throughout the DMV.

It would be easier to just not make it obvious the order came from the White House. Place the order for pickup, have the Secret Service (or someone else) pick it up and charge it to some nondescript card.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Star Man posted:

They were served fast food because the dimmer was during a government shutdown.

OK but there's a Five Guys in McPherson Square like 3 blocks up from the White House. And the Old Ebbitt Grill is a couple hundred yards away and has really good burgers.

Don't know if they could supply that many though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My dude do you know how expensive a 5 Guys burger is?

It would have cost the same $5 billion for the border wall so it was one or the other

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Gatts posted:

My dude do you know how expensive a 5 Guys burger is?

It would have cost the same $5 billion for the border wall so it was one or the other

But the 5 guys burger would have succeeded in blocking things.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Morrow posted:

So do the other 800 just go to waste?

Also just thinking of like a scenario where they just don't get picked up so there's a ton of McDs pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Oxyclean posted:

So do the other 800 just go to waste?

Also just thinking of like a scenario where they just don't get picked up so there's a ton of McDs pissed off.

Gods, hopefully they at least got donated to a homeless shelter or something.
I know the food is obviously far from healthy, but it's still a drat lot better than "Nothing."
And hell, sometimes a person just needs something to appease their inner raccoon demanding tasty garbage.