Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Quill posted:

It remains to be seen how much the Warden changes actually matter, because the biggest enemy of that particular class is lag.

At least Brawlers can get gauntlets from weapon vendors now. How long did that take?
The entirety of their existence. Leveling a brawler was how I learned the many other ways to get gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Big changes about Power, too... or at least they read like them. Does anyone know how significant is this, really?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
did they add a battle gauntlet section to the auction house? lol

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Prism posted:

Big changes about Power, too... or at least they read like them. Does anyone know how significant is this, really?

The intent was that it was supposed to matter during raid bosses or chain pulling mob packs back to back on landscape, but not affect solo play much. Of course there might be bugs right now, though.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 23, 2023

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Wow the icons for captain are so colorful now. Didn't realize they were changing those graphics. I should go to the forums and see if there is a thread about how they hate it and it's giving them a migraine and they'll sue but i mean, why. I know that thread exists :v:

I like them.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Might be a good time to pick up my Warden again? These changes seem good but then I haven't played Warden in years.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Cutedge posted:

Wow the icons for captain are so colorful now. Didn't realize they were changing those graphics. I should go to the forums and see if there is a thread about how they hate it and it's giving them a migraine and they'll sue but i mean, why. I know that thread exists :v:

I like them.

Same! It was surprising to respec and see that little change.

I love the Delvings changes too. My delving buddy and I are flying through T10s now and there's no way we could've done this last week. The weeklies they added are pretty nice too

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I seem to remember, years ago, some goon saying that there was a point to drop the Volume I epic quests and just go on to Moria. What point is that? I'm on book 7 right now and level 47, bopping back and forth between Forochel for general questing and Angmar for the epic.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

unimportantguy posted:

I seem to remember, years ago, some goon saying that there was a point to drop the Volume I epic quests and just go on to Moria. What point is that? I'm on book 7 right now and level 47, bopping back and forth between Forochel for general questing and Angmar for the epic.

I usually head to Eregion/Moria at 48, but 47 is probably ok too. Hit up an Eregion Explorer somewhere to get that breadcrumb quest. First thing to do is head to Echad Dúnann and talk to Ráthwald to get your legendary items first, then go back and do Eregion until complete and/or time to quest in Moria.

Of course you don't have to drop the earlier epic quests to do that. That's more the thing to do for speed leveling or someone on their nth alt.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

unimportantguy posted:

I think the 'advice' is usually that as soon as you hit 45 you should go to Eregion and start the Moria questline in order to get your first Legendary Item. I just waited till I finished the first half of Vol 1 to move on but you technically 'unlock' Moria's storyline right at 45.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Quill posted:

At least Brawlers can get gauntlets from weapon vendors now. How long did that take?

Ahahaha, it comes just after I got my brawler's legendaries. Not that it really mattered since my weaponsmith kept her in battle gauntlets all the way up to 48. Nice to know it'll help future brawlers.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

My brawler only ever got the one or two you get from the class quests under 50. Somehow seemed like the brawler never needed to upgrade the gauntlets.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
True, brawler is powerful enough to not need most gear upgrades unless you're into cosmetics and/or numbers going up :getin:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Boy, Books 9 and 10 of the Epic really do hand you the idiot ball, don't they? "Here's a highly shady individual, you should absolutely trust and follow them. Oh, look, they were bad. Now here's an endless series of minor military engagement distractions that you focus on as your foe searches for a ring of power totally unimpeded. Also you spend this entire book fecklessly taking advice from an obvious villain."

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

unimportantguy posted:

Boy, Books 9 and 10 of the Epic really do hand you the idiot ball, don't they? "Here's a highly shady individual, you should absolutely trust and follow them. Oh, look, they were bad. Now here's an endless series of minor military engagement distractions that you focus on as your foe searches for a ring of power totally unimpeded. Also you spend this entire book fecklessly taking advice from an obvious villain."

Yeah, agreed. While I actually like the later post-SoA books of Volume I, the part where you spend forever loving around in Evendim and falling for obvious plots is definitely the low point of the entire first part of the epic.

At least when you’re done with it you can relax knowing that it won’t get that bad again until you hit Rohan.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
really like exploring and just doing little quests in this game. Is everyone still on the server in the OP? I just googled 'most populated server' before playing and went with that.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Uncle Frank posted:

really like exploring and just doing little quests in this game. Is everyone still on the server in the OP? I just googled 'most populated server' before playing and went with that.

Yup! Most goons are on Landroval but don't expect to see many online at once in the kin.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ve been playing most evenings on Landroval but I’m not in the goon guild on several characters. Hit up Closetalker if anyone wants to hang. She’s level 36 now. About to go into the Angle, I’ve never been through there since it was released

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I finished up the Vol. I epic and made my way into Moria at level 52. The scale of this place is incredible. Feels amazing to wander around in but also I'm constantly lost.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021
I just got to level 10 lol. This game feels like all the best parts of early account WoW classic but tuned to allow solo adventuring for all content in the overworld. Enjoying it a lot more than I expected.

i got pranked

Uncle Frank fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 31, 2023

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I was just saying to someone the other day that the game world and design made me think something like "What if World of Warcraft through Wrath of the Lich King had a solid central story?" It's definitely got that sort of vibe.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

home ownership!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Just hit Mirkwood last night. The Moria story was pretty good and nothing in it was anywhere near as annoying as the stuff I was complaining about in Vol. I the other day. Also, Moria's design was amazing and I applaud the decision to just set an entire expansion in a giant dungeon.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I really, really liked Mirkwood. Something about it just worked for me.

I finally made it through Rohan I think but it's hard to tell because it just kind of flows into Helms Deep.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Cutedge posted:

I really, really liked Mirkwood. Something about it just worked for me.

I finally made it through Rohan I think but it's hard to tell because it just kind of flows into Helms Deep.

I just reached the end of Rohan expansion, and it feels like Mirkwood and Rohan is where they finally hit their stride of natural quest progression hubs. Rohan especially they clearly had quest tech for dynamic spawning so they could move NPCs to different locations and update the world without needing instances for everything. The game needed a bit more linearity like this (especially given that the basis of the lore is literally “a group of people follow a path for three books”).

Really enjoying the leveling now, and always excited to see what’s next.

EDIT: So I got up to Helm’s Deep and…huh. This seems like it would be cool with a full raid where everyone is running around triaging what needs the most attention. But when you’re running it solo it’s the most boring and quiet activity. I only did the first Epic Battle and I think I may just skip the rest and do the “story” versions instead. A shame, this was probably cool when it first came out and everyone was queueing for it!

Pryce fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 8, 2023

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Volume 3 of the Epic started out pretty cool! The vibe of travelling south with the Grey Company was really cool. But the good vibes ground to a halt in book 4. Dunland is kinda bad and monotonous.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

unimportantguy posted:

Volume 3 of the Epic started out pretty cool! The vibe of travelling south with the Grey Company was really cool. But the good vibes ground to a halt in book 4. Dunland is kinda bad and monotonous.

Don’t you worry, you’ve still got two expansions worth of Rohan to look forward to! :shepicide:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

While I'm on that train of thought, what's the must-have content going forward? Am I going to need to buy up all of the various Gondor quest packs to get through the whole story or can I get away with just buying one or two bits of it? I assume I'll need to buy the Mordor expac but then do I need to buy that 115-120 quest pack between Mordor and Minas Morgul? What about the "minor" expansions?

Edit: Wait shoot does that persist after my VIP ends? I'm VIP right now because I wanted to get fast travel and the expanded inventory.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 10, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Get VIP for a month and you’ll get every expac except Gundabad for free

skullie
Nov 8, 2012
if one was feeling obsessive about doing deeds for before the shadow and beyond, what's the best way to do it? following maps on a site? plugins?

also it seems like the BTS gear is ridiculously good compared to base game content rewards at the same level, what's the recommended progression path currently if you want to stay beefy?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
My brawler has been following both the book story and Bingo through Moria and oh hell yes this is a fine dungeon delving experience

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

I'm vaguely surprised that I actually like the character of Nona so far, even if she is denser than uranium. It's nice to have a travelling companion.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The latest PTR update has an expanded ranged of customization for the Race of Men.

quote:

LOTRO is celebrating the uniqueness of every player!
Our latest update celebrates individuality with additional character customization options for the Race of Men (humans) that let players express themselves in new ways. We want to make as many players feel represented in the game as possible, and we are introducing new character creation options for your face, hair, and body! We know there is more work to do to offer a wider variety of character creation options, and we will be following up this release with additional options in the future.

Here are some things to know:
  • Your existing characters remain mostly unchanged, although we have updated some textures to improve their look.
  • There are now more shared options between genders, including hair and beard styles where applicable.
  • The body proportion range has been increased.
  • These new options are also available at the Barber for access to existing characters.

Here's a video of someone showing some of new stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIGg9Y5R8_E

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Good poo poo. Don't read the comments though, man. I didn't think this old game still got that level of "discourse."

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

LegionAreI posted:

Good poo poo. Don't read the comments though, man. I didn't think this old game still got that level of "discourse."
Like seemingly any old MMO not named FFXIV, LOTRO's community is obsessed with going back to the good old days (which seem to be, roughly, "the update before they added trait trees"). LOTRO also has the added problem that there's a vocal minority of Tolkien fans who really like the books because they don't make them think about stinky women or non-white people; at least on Crickhollow, that was the group which talked the most in global chat.

Game is still good and pretty and I come back to it every time they release new areas, but the community is not a plus.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

My experience on Landroval so far has been that it's mostly old dudes and cat ladies who don't care about anything and are just there to grind.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LegionAreI posted:

Two things in life are certain: Death and Reading Comments Online Is Always A Mistake.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Some friendly people in Landroval world chat suggested that I should try playing a Captain as someone who used to play a Paladin in World of Warcraft back in the day, so I've been trying that out, using it as an excuse to more thoroughly explore zones as I go. Notes so far:

- Captain is really fun to play to the point that I've kind of abandoned my Lore-Master
- Yondershire is an absolute joy to quest through. Too bad it gives almost no LotRO points or virtue xp.
- Oh my god there are so many more quests in Evendim than I thought there were
- Oh my god Evendim is so much more of a nightmare to navigate than I thought it was who drew this map

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 17, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Captain is better since the last update. I’ve been slowly leveling one on Treebeard and enjoying it. I love all the buffs and feel super powerful running around at only 22 so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

unimportantguy posted:

My experience on Landroval so far has been that it's mostly old dudes and cat ladies who don't care about anything and are just there to grind.

as one of those old dudes I just have to say "umm... phrasing"