Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

J posted:

So first off the people making the most money are generally playing in a group of some sort. If we ignore that and only look at solo play, the people making big money very early are typically doing strategies that don't rely on any atlas tree at all. Things like heist, logbooks, lab running, etc. Nobody makes any money during that initial atlas completion phase. So the people doing atlas independent strategies are making way more money than the people trying to complete their atlas, and they'll use that money to buy things that are going to appreciate in value. Whether that be gear they actually plan to use, or just parking their money in things they know will go up in value. They'll get their own gear to a "decent enough" level to farm whatever they are farming, and will invest the rest.

As for the actual getting started part, if you're playing a Good Build™ there should be less awkwardness when you first hit maps and have no money. It helps if you do practice runs to identify the things that make it awkward, so you can put the money you do get into addressing those problems immediately.

Chaos recipe. Legit chaos recipe. First 12-24 hours of the league, chaos recipe is great and you can legit make mirrors that way if you're efficient about it. It doesn't mean you literally sell mirrors' worth of chaos recipe sets but that is where their seed money comes from. Then they start trading, flipping, etc. but it all starts with chaos recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Ok. I'm nearing the end of A2 so I still have a ways to go I guess.

You're getting ahead of yourself (or whatever guide you're using is getting ahead of you). Plague bearer requires level 24, and the other two you mentioned require level 38.

For where you're at, just equip whatever supports you can get from Yeena and Nessa that work for your main damage skill, and maybe throw in a herald or two. That'll be plenty of damage to carry you for the next two acts. You'll be able to buy more supports not normally available to your class from Siosa in the Library late in act 3, and you'll get access to the level-38 supports late in act 4.

By the way, level 24 is also around the time that you'll have a chance to start finding four-links. If you don't get lucky and find one with the right colors as a drop, check Hargan's shop every couple levels and he might have what you need. Ideally your four-link is in your helmet, glove, or chest slot; weapons should be updated regularly, and the most important factor for boots is movespeed.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

Never been interested in Vaal Smite, as I have leveled with regular Smite a ton in the past, and never found that it enjoyable.

Jungroans poison Molten Strike looks intriguing and is the kind of thing I would normally move on to in the second weekend of the league, but it uses Pneumatic Daggers, which are 0.8 divs each and come from Heist, so it is again not something that can interact with the league mechanic that much if you get a bad tree on your main weapon.

Jung’s Poison molten strike build was so cool it actually inspired me to try a different take on it

I had originally wanted to league start a KB wander but was worried about viability so I just went with Ben’s Poison BV PF. Turns out that tree requires very little change in passives or itemization to swap to a poison KB wander. I’m thinking the massive shotgunning of KB explosions can help me stack poisons to the moon and PF is way sturdier than a typical KB wander Deadeye.

I just need to craft up a chaos wand and then I’m off to the races. A fractured t1 chaos damage imbued wand is actually kinda cheap, so I was thinking something like this to start:

Prefix
Fractured chaos damage
Unveiled %chaos damage mod

Suffix
Essence attack speed
Chaos dot multi

That should be easy to craft, but can y’all think of anything better? A big phys wand is probably ideal, but that’s out of my budget currently

e: ooooo there’s some good prefixes with elder or hunter influence, but that may be out of the budget currently too

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 14, 2023

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

totalnewbie posted:

Chaos recipe. Legit chaos recipe. First 12-24 hours of the league, chaos recipe is great and you can legit make mirrors that way if you're efficient about it. It doesn't mean you literally sell mirrors' worth of chaos recipe sets but that is where their seed money comes from. Then they start trading, flipping, etc. but it all starts with chaos recipe.

This is only the case for groups w/ dedicated traders and everyone throwing gear into a guild quad tab, and is only applicable when you're at that point nearly alone, so there's nobody to trade with yet.

It absolutely doesn't apply to anyone playing solo. If you're doing the chaos recipe in trade league solo, you're wasting time.

Frank Frank posted:

Ok. I'm nearing the end of A2 so I still have a ways to go I guess.

You asked earlier about links vs life - generally the links are more important, because you can always use alchemy orbs or essences you find on white gear, or craft life using your crafting bench as you discover the recipes by clicking the things you'll find while leveling.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Frank Frank posted:

Is it worthwhile to drop $20 on the starter pack in the store? I really like the game (for $20 at least) and wouldn’t mind assuming it’s worthwhile.

When there is a special that says if you buy a MTX, get a free crate, buy a weta

Buy Weta Pet - Path of Exile

Cost is 5 points or 5¢. Buy 20 wetas for $1.

One time it went on sale for 1¢. Buy 100 wetas for $1.

Deploy all wetas in hideout until max furniture cap.

Your hideout NPCs are now in Weta Purgatory Heaven.

Buy wetas.Buy wetas.Buy wetas.Buy wetas.
Buy wetas.
Buy wetas.Buy wetas.Buy wetas.Buy wetas.

WETAS

edit: I am a very stable genius :smugdon:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

EVIL Gibson posted:

edit: I am a very stable genius :smugdon:

10 pts = $1 not 100 pts = $1 btw

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Two questions: what happens if you merge a crucible tree into a weapon with a blank tree, and what happens if you modify an item's tree and then restore it from imprint?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I actually just hit level 30 but I'm having something of an issue in the slums outside of the city in act 3. There's a champion variant of those devourer things (the guys that pop out of the ground) and I can't hurt it at all. Literally hasn't happened before. It's tagged with one of those golden "skull" marks the beasts get when that guy from act 2 can trap them but he's nowhere to be found. Am I doing something wrong? I literally can't get this thing's health bar to move at all with poison, blade vortex or throwing knives.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It probably regens hp faster than you can dps. just leave

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Einhar won't show up until you get a beast down to certain amount

Check the mods but the beast probably has at least one that seriously impedes your DPS, it's not worth it to fight a rare mob for 10 minutes in the campaign so I suggest running past or creating a new instance (Ctrl+click any door or waypoint)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
e:f,b

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

dyzzy posted:

Einhar won't show up until you get a beast down to certain amount

Check the mods but the beast probably has at least one that seriously impedes your DPS, it's not worth it to fight a rare mob for 10 minutes in the campaign so I suggest running past or creating a new instance (Ctrl+click any door or waypoint)

Ok I'll just force a new instance. Thanks.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

No Safe Word posted:

10 pts = $1 not 100 pts = $1 btw

again, very stable genius like trumpers :trumppop:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I just died for the first time stuck in a menu opening one of those chests that spawns a bunch of enemies. I thought that meant I was done with the league but apparently not? All this time I've been super paranoid about death. Also plague bearer + blade vortex + chance to poison is fun as heck.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

I just died for the first time stuck in a menu opening one of those chests that spawns a bunch of enemies. I thought that meant I was done with the league but apparently not? All this time I've been super paranoid about death. Also plague bearer + blade vortex + chance to poison is fun as heck.

If you’re not playing hardcore then no, you stay in league when you die.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Arivia posted:

If you’re not playing hardcore then no, you stay in league when you die.

lmao all this time I've been super paranoid about death. Welp! I guess boss counters will be less stressful now at least.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
If you don’t end a season with 600+ deaths, what are you even doing?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

poemdexter posted:

If you don’t end kitava with 600+ deaths, what are you even doing?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Would love some tips for my Manabond character if anyone has the time! https://pobb.in/YBl4krj2GDpp I should be using Culling Strike in my 6L, I just got sick of trying to color it and stuffed awakened controlled destruction in there instead. Since it gets Unnerve on for Manabond + improves Arc clearing it shouldn't be a huge deal outside endgame bosses anyway, and I don't have enough crit to feel comfortable throwing it on my Manabond.
  • Is there a good way to improve my mana leech? Cyclone is doing so little damage it's nowhere near maxing my leech/second, which is annoying.
  • Speaking of leech, anyone know if the new instant leech mastery is worth getting for ES leech in this build? This one I can try myself but cool to hear if anyone knows.
  • What's the best way to get more status immunities/avoidance besides a Corrupted Blood jewel? I have actually run into some rough non-CB bleeds so haven't prioritized it over flasks at all. I have an amethyst flask with poison immune for the right fights, but things like ailments, basically any DOT, slows etc are quite annoying and probably the majority of danger I face.

Ideas for what to look for in upgrades would be nice too, I am nowhere near having enough for stuff like flame/flesh or squire. Could probably get a Split Personality if I spent all my currency on it, but not sure that would be worth it. I have multiple Mjölners sitting in my stash waiting for Crucible to improve/me to start finding the energy to give a poo poo about it - the fact that Mjölner seems to roll primarily attack-based mods doesn't help.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

even hardcore is kind of weird. your character doesnt get deleted if you die, it just gets moved to standard and you can keep playing it there.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is only the case for groups w/ dedicated traders and everyone throwing gear into a guild quad tab, and is only applicable when you're at that point nearly alone, so there's nobody to trade with yet.

It absolutely doesn't apply to anyone playing solo. If you're doing the chaos recipe in trade league solo, you're wasting time.

You asked earlier about links vs life - generally the links are more important, because you can always use alchemy orbs or essences you find on white gear, or craft life using your crafting bench as you discover the recipes by clicking the things you'll find while leveling.

oh yes, of course. It's a lot of work and you absolutely need traders to be buying and flipping things.

That's why I'm wondering if I can get people to do this with me next league launch.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Chaos recipe is often really good in trade league solo, wtf. Especially if you're doing a bunch of heist on day 1 to get some early zoomer items it's like half your income. Or if you stall out in yellows with a dodgy atlas tree, spending two hours doing chaos recipe can literally save your character.

Traitorous Leopard - Vasudus did a poison wander a while back and iirc made a few small effort posts on it. The elder mod is p clutch if it's still around. I played the build with lower investment as a fast mapper and it did that really well, though I do remember struggling on bosses. Let us know how yours goes - I'm playing a wander now anyway but a late league Respec into an old favorite is something I often end up doing.

Ihmemies cf champ absolutely fucks abysses and you can get incredible XP from them, and you don't need much luck to hit big on the 6mod jewels. Though you do need some.....

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That Elder mod got changed from "60% chance for poison to deal 100% more damage" to "DoT multi with this weapon" back in Ultimatum unfortunately.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

External Organs posted:

When y'all start mapping, are you running magic maps, or rare? Do you immediately start chiseling stuff?

I always alch until I remember that I can use binding orbs on maps :pseudo:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I always alch until I remember that I can use binding orbs on maps :pseudo:

WHAT

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I am looking at Champion EAB and am thinking that the Taunt nodes would be good to not have to invest in accuracy, but does Taunt work on bosses? The internet has conflicting information on this. Also some of these posts are years old.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

pork never goes bad posted:

Chaos recipe is often really good in trade league solo, wtf. Especially if you're doing a bunch of heist on day 1 to get some early zoomer items it's like half your income. Or if you stall out in yellows with a dodgy atlas tree, spending two hours doing chaos recipe can literally save your character.

Yeah, if you're doing a bunch of heist in the mid-60s/70s (which you probably should be), you can get a TON of jewelry to feed the chaos recipe. Then when you're in maps you hit alt after the boss and pick up the rest of the recipe in like 15 seconds, it's not bad at all.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm not going to argue against chaos recipe because chaos recipe users are insane

but I am going to judge you

right now

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

I am looking at Champion EAB and am thinking that the Taunt nodes would be good to not have to invest in accuracy, but does Taunt work on bosses? The internet has conflicting information on this. Also some of these posts are years old.

I'm running zizs eab champ and it def feels like taunt works on bosses.

I'm only up to red maps tho

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

victrix posted:

I'm not going to argue against chaos recipe because chaos recipe users are insane

right now

It's easy with a utility. It's not like we don't have three other apps running opposite POE...

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

victrix posted:

right now

this

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

It's easy with a utility. It's not like we don't have three other apps running opposite POE...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Frank Frank posted:

lmao all this time I've been super paranoid about death. Welp! I guess boss counters will be less stressful now at least.

Honestly, good job not dying yet lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
As a person who loved the archnemesis mods but HATED the extra cool loot they dropped I'm having a blast right now.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

victrix posted:

right now

Different strokes for different folks but there are so many god drat ways to make money in today’s path of exile and the chaos recipe is probably second to last on my list (in front of lab running).

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

goferchan posted:

Honestly, good job not dying yet lol

I was being incredibly careful because I was operating under the assumption that if I died, it was game over. If I had t gotten tangled up in a menu and unable to heal, I would have been fine.

That said, I died twice more immediately afterwards in the final ascendency trial before I figured out the gimmick. I’m playing blind* and honestly having a pretty good time with it.

(*blind in the sense that I don’t know any of the fights / story. I didn’t come up with my own build and there are a ton of mechanics I haven’t even seen yet let alone understand)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Cretin90 posted:

Different strokes for different folks but there are so many god drat ways to make money in today’s path of exile and the chaos recipe is probably second to last on my list (in front of lab running).

Yeah, I play solo and maybe it's because I don't speedrun campaign but I have never bothered with chaos recipe. I think I reached maps this league with 6c to my name and trade was down anyway, so I just crafted some resists on my gear and got to mapping. And I know it's not some kind of either/or scenario and I could have also done the chaos recipe while I did early white maps but I could also just... not. And yeah, I really hope they get rid of lab for PoE2 lol. At least RF made running it easy peasy for once.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

p good league mechanic

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Maven down. I am bad at the game. I think I had 1 more portal left, and my build has stupid dps.

That goddamn memory game. Why does the center have to expand so freaking fast? I'm an old man game, slow down.

I was sure I was tossing away a maven writ worth145c and gonna brick it. But got it down, got a 3div gem out of it, so yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have never beaten the memory game and I never will.