Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Vox Nihili posted:

Snow Crash kicks rear end. It's parody, dummy

Jesus Christ all y'all take everything so seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vox Nihili posted:

Human hands are way beyond the capability of any technology today

explain this then :colbert:
https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1428540085297950720

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hand level: Human feet off the ground

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Vox Nihili posted:

Oops, box contents are 5% off of the usual dimensions, the robot fell over and requires 4 hours of maintenance and 2 hours of calibration

This is what actual, functional warehouse robots look like. They don't even attempt to look human in any way shape or form. They also don't have independent computing, its really just one system that tells a bunch of carts with suckers where to shuffle things.

And it still has humans at the end cuz ultimately the goal is to hand stuff off to customers lol, just a lot fewer humans. Probably more similar to containerization than anything else in terms of overall impact/import.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Wow, 2 axis feet and it's 4" taller than Elon!

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Tulip posted:

This is what actual, functional warehouse robots look like. They don't even attempt to look human in any way shape or form. They also don't have independent computing, its really just one system that tells a bunch of carts with suckers where to shuffle things.

And it still has humans at the end cuz ultimately the goal is to hand stuff off to customers lol, just a lot fewer humans. Probably more similar to containerization than anything else in terms of overall impact/import.

Yeah this is what I was thinking of.

I know from a technical perspective it's impressive to make a machine/AI that replicates human qualities (physical or mental), but practically it makes no sense because you're essentially saying "How can I make dinner using only a tin can, a zippo, and a swiss army knife?" Obviously it's impressive to do that, but practically you aren't limited in this way and can reimagine the work or process.

It's like Sci-Fi books that fall into the Star Trek trap of "everything is humanoid".

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The less a robot looks like a human the better it will be

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I've been following a guy on TikTok that works at Amazon and drives for Uber so he can afford his Home Depot shed-househome

Not peak dystopia but we're getting there

Cyber Punk 90210 has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Apr 14, 2023

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Vox Nihili posted:

Snow Crash kicks rear end. It's parody, dummy

the first time i read that book i was like 14 or something and i was like whoa badass

then i read it again when i was like 28 and i was like wow this book is hilarious

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cuttlefush posted:

warehouses are pretty flat but not that flat. also the ultimate goal is robot soldiers and you need to go up the leg research tree to get those so you might as well just use leg for everything

My hypothesis is the rich are trying to keep things going just long enough that autonomous weapons became feasible then they're gonna kick the stool out from under us

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I do like how one of the most well known cyberpunk books is a parody of cyberpunk.

A lot of the best cyberpunk is pretty knowingly absurdly stupid.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Oops, box contents are 5% off of the usual dimensions, the robot fell over and requires 4 hours of maintenance and 2 hours of calibration

When Amazon receives poo poo they scan it all and double check it's exactly what you said it is and within their requirements. If you're slightly off they will penalize you and hold all your stuff until you go into seller central and review the issue, and check a box acknowledging the issue. Meanwhile they'll repackage the goods for a fee, but if not possible they trash it. If you're way off or have repeat infractions they'll trash your stuff and ban you from thier fulfillment.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

undead bird cyborgs

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1646936354847072270

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Birds aren't real :thunk:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

they are now!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Birds are real but only retroactively, as of now

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

tokin opposition posted:

Wow, 2 axis feet and it's 4" taller than Elon!
like to see the shopping cart bots do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j9f5OEW068&t=5s

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

I hate this lol

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Hi, animal control? Yeah, I need the bladerunner unit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

itskage posted:

When Amazon receives poo poo they scan it all and double check it's exactly what you said it is and within their requirements. If you're slightly off they will penalize you and hold all your stuff until you go into seller central and review the issue, and check a box acknowledging the issue. Meanwhile they'll repackage the goods for a fee, but if not possible they trash it. If you're way off or have repeat infractions they'll trash your stuff and ban you from thier fulfillment.

I've seen videos of their actual pickers working, they also warehouse and transport a wide array of unboxed items for packaging internally.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

now do this with human cadavers

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Colonel Cancer posted:

yah this is a pathetic retcon

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Good thing there's already a common housepet that can eliminate these kinds of spies and even show off their kill afterwards

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

What do you think my posting is?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

again?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Good thing there's already a common housepet that can eliminate these kinds of spies and even show off their kill afterwards

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Hear me out... who wouldn't want a hovering cat spouting nonsense in the voice of the dead? (original idea, don't steal)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
using third party youtube android clients tells me google is paying at least tens of millions every year just on UX designers:
-to not give users basic UI customizations
-to make UI worse and worse

Palladium has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Apr 15, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Palladium posted:

using third party youtube android clients tells me google is paying at least tens of millions every year just on UX designers:
-to not give users basic UI customizations
-to make UI worse and worse

I'm pretty sure a part of it is trying to intentionally break AdBlock/sponsor block

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

I'm pretty sure a part of it is trying to intentionally break AdBlock/sponsor block

i have never received ads on youtube so they're apparently not very good at that

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Zokari posted:

i have never received ads on youtube so they're apparently not very good at that

learning how many ads people watch on youtube raw was shocking

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it's not really surprising. even knowing browser extensions exist probably puts you in the top 10% of internet users

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i also like how the vanilla YT app passive-aggressively refuses to default to 1080p+ quality just to spite those .~^freeloading*~. scum

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I have youtube adblocking enabled on my tablet but not my phone, so any time I click a youtube link on my phone it's a little surprising

I hear Twitch is significantly worse, too

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I have youtube adblocking enabled on my tablet but not my phone, so any time I click a youtube link on my phone it's a little surprising

I hear Twitch is significantly worse, too

When I'm not subbed in twitch and then it's like 5 30 second ads at what seem like random times. I think they're tied to periods of fresh activity. Like I'll be working and they won't start laying until I task over and try and chat

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

HootTheOwl posted:

When I'm not subbed in twitch and then it's like 5 30 second ads at what seem like random times. I think they're tied to periods of fresh activity. Like I'll be working and they won't start laying until I task over and try and chat

live streams seem to have options to "run" ad breaks so they do it when they leave the keyboard

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

live streams seem to have options to "run" ad breaks so they do it when they leave the keyboard

It makes it very hard to climax I can tell you that much

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Biplane posted:

It makes it very hard to climax I can tell you that much

Hey, if the ad's are too random timed for you to get off, I'm sure you can find a 24/7 ad streams somewhere

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Birds must be real dumb to think those corpse drones are other birds. So dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Birds must be real dumb to think those corpse drones are other birds. So dumb.

calvin's classmates yelling at him:

"BIRDS AREN'T REAL!"