Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

WOOOOW
OMG
WOOOOOW
OMG
WOOOOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i drove in traffic today. sucks to do.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I just rode my folding bike to the beer store to get some beer. Now I'm back home.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did you fold it up and bring it inside?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does it become like a rolling suitcase sized thing when folded that you just pull around or is it a tacticool briefcase thats too heavy

Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

does it become like a rolling suitcase sized thing when folded that you just pull around

Yeah, you can do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZmUMl-uj1M

In practice I just carry it though. It folds up pretty tight.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How many bridges would you have to blow up with TNT blocks in Minecraft before they stop building roads.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i support anticar guy that looks very similar to hitler

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

Earlier in the thread there was a discussion about the 5 ton EV Hummer and how these heavier vehicles are going to be a problem for America's rickety infrastructure. Well today I saw this article posted by an account that I'm sure some of you are familiar with.

https://twitter.com/FuckCarsReddit/status/1646525289818914827
Extra wear and tear on pavement. Old back-road bridges being put under strains they weren't built for. Seems like fun times ahead.

a unit in our building is for sale, and a potential buyer wanted to know about EV charging. while it's recent building and on the ground level (unlike this article), we are pretty sure that there's no way to install chargers for individual spaces (there are no "common" spaces to use, like in that picture, and the spaces are owned by individual residents, not the association). At the very least, if there is, it's pretty difficult because you need to increase the electrical capacity of the building (however that works). So it's a liability for everyone, not just the person with the vehicle. My parents in a giant senior condo and they can't do it either, and they have maybe 70 cars in their garage. No one has a plan lol

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

i support anticar guy that looks very similar to hitler

monitor

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://twitter.com/copenhenken/status/1646520413579800576?s=20

This woman is a part of MPLS politics

https://twitter.com/FrederickMelo/status/1646692878515593217?s=20

SOS is compromised of people who live in one of the richest neighborhoods of STP.

I wish old people would realize this is the world THEY created over the last 20-30 years. They’re gonna be dead sooner than most of us, so let us make a better world sooner.

Edit: just found out that a college nearby is going to cut down more trees and put up another parking lot for the second time in 5 years. So loving dumb.

I assume this is summit hill lol

i posted about that a few months ago, the very wealthy street where people were objecting to new bike infrastructure

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
people say virtue signaling isnt real but EV's prove them wrong

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tearing out the bike infrastructure to put in electric vehicle chargers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Structural engineer Chris Whapples, who helped author the report, notes that the situation could be dire in some cases.

how you likin them whapples?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

actionjackson posted:

I assume this is summit hill lol

i posted about that a few months ago, the very wealthy street where people were objecting to new bike infrastructure

Dammit. I thought I had linked a starting tweet, but yeah. This is the Summit re-build.

For non-locals, this is a street whose pipes and infra are over 100ish, 120ish years. They’re going to be rebuilding this street anyway. But they want to build it w separated bike lanes. And these people are losing their poo poo.

Their current line is “save the trees!” These are trees that are going to be removed as part of this work no matter what. These are the type of people who put cyclists at hazard currently because they don’t allow their gardeners etc to park in their driveways, so they’re in the current bike lanes etc.

The bike lanes are standard gutter style and are just torn to shreds after our last winter. I hate them.

Apr 7, 2003

A guy told me, "I watched you unfold that, that's a badass bike" today during my beer run, so maybe I'm way too scared about dumb poo poo from the internet re bikes. Every time I go out on my Brompton I get positive reinforcement.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I want a brompton so bad. I would fly with it to Scotland and ride around and drink scotch at tiny hotel pubs

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Yo if I ever get the chance to film a train hitting a car, where can I stand to get super close, and not get hit?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

actionjackson posted:

a unit in our building is for sale, and a potential buyer wanted to know about EV charging. while it's recent building and on the ground level (unlike this article), we are pretty sure that there's no way to install chargers for individual spaces (there are no "common" spaces to use, like in that picture, and the spaces are owned by individual residents, not the association). At the very least, if there is, it's pretty difficult because you need to increase the electrical capacity of the building (however that works). So it's a liability for everyone, not just the person with the vehicle. My parents in a giant senior condo and they can't do it either, and they have maybe 70 cars in their garage. No one has a plan lol

as someone who does electrical permitting that often requires doing the load calcs to install EV chargers, it's probably possible for a few individual parking spots in a multi-unit building without upgrading the service for the building, but obviously the best option, especially for the seniors, is to just petition the city to get a bus route to have a stop outside the building.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Was watching the latest john oliver (yeah i know) on HOAs and there was a tidbit about an hoa that put speed cameras in and while I absolutely loathe HOAs, i found the anger by everyone at the 15mph neighborhood speed limit actually being enforced with high fines to be hilarious.

John Oliver is a car brained lib.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 05:19 on Apr 15, 2023

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

I want a brompton so bad. I would fly with it to Scotland and ride around and drink scotch at tiny hotel pubs

Dude I had been planning a biking trip in Scotland back in 2020 and then COVID hit and I used my Brompton money (that I'd been saving for 2 years) on a laptop for WFH. It was going to be so sick!

Edit: and looking back the laptop was totally pointless since my employer supplied me with a workstation but pretty sure my IQ was capped at 50% back in March 2020

ajkalan has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Apr 15, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

They're worth every penny.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

page number re:cars :berninator:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

Was watching the latest john oliver (yeah i know) on HOAs and there was a tidbit about an hoa that put speed cameras in and while I absolutely loathe HOAs, i found the anger by everyone at the 15mph neighborhood speed limit actually being enforced with high fines to be hilarious.

they were getting fined for their guests driving too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

silicone thrills posted:

There's a big judicial fight here in the PH over the "No Contact Apprehension Policy", where cars get ticketed based on getting observed on CCTV, and you're held to account when you re-register the car.

It was wildly effective at both preventing cop bribery and actually catching traffic violations without holding up traffic from having to physically halt the vehicle, so of course special interest groups filed a suit claiming the policy is unconstitutional.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Real hurthling! posted:

they were getting fined for their guests driving too

Lol good

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
for anyone worried about the cars a page ago, the train cars are fine.

quote:

Brightline released the following statement: "A car carrier was stopped on the tracks. No injuries to crew or passengers. Service suspended between [Fort Lauderdale] and Miami (only) while PD and Brightline's team work to clear the scene, and that effort is being affected by the weather,"

Brightline resumed normal operations as of around 8 a.m. EST Thursday

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
i saw a train today and gave the engineer a thumbs up and he returned the favour. wholesome moment

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Yo if I ever get the chance to film a train hitting a car, where can I stand to get super close, and not get hit?

On the train :toot:

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

rode a boat around a lake and laughed at all the poor suckers stuck in traffic while the drawbridges were up

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Went on my cargo bike to get a few 2 meter boards, some sand and dirt plus 4 small blocks of concrete for foundations for a greenhouse. Perfectly adequate, car people looked at me funny though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

Went on my cargo bike to get a few 2 meter boards, some sand and dirt plus 4 small blocks of concrete for foundations for a greenhouse. Perfectly adequate, car people looked at me funny though.

https://twitter.com/TheVoiceofSpri1/status/1646867848785166336

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I buy my groceries from a walking distance corner store, with my wife.

(not exactly but a new reasonably priced mini grocer opened a 12 minute walk away compared to the nearest expensive full grocery store at 30m and it's nice)

e: I see the person hid their tweet but it was something about a backlash from car drivers (besides the ongoing perpetual one??) in response to a tweet about getting 20kg of groceries on a cargo bike so I don't know what they were mad about in the first place besides the WEF/Agenda 21.

mystes
May 31, 2006

eXXon posted:

e: I see the person hid their tweet but it was something about a backlash from car drivers (besides the ongoing perpetual one??) in response to a tweet about getting 20kg of groceries on a cargo bike so I don't know what they were mad about in the first place besides the WEF/Agenda 21.
It wasn't even clear to me how the two things in the tweet (the thing about needing corner stores and the backlash from drivers) were even supposed to be connected

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

love train

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

wheels bad*, walk good

*except wheelchairs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

think how great the wheel chair ramps could be if they could extend into the space we use for cars. you'd never need to climb a stair again in a car free world

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Earlier in the thread there was a discussion about the 5 ton EV Hummer and how these heavier vehicles are going to be a problem for America's rickety infrastructure. Well today I saw this article posted by an account that I'm sure some of you are familiar with.

https://twitter.com/FuckCarsReddit/status/1646525289818914827
Extra wear and tear on pavement. Old back-road bridges being put under strains they weren't built for. Seems like fun times ahead.

lol a parking lot collapse followed by a lithium fire. badass. also means crashes will be insanely more brutal. there is only one answer... overhead lines on freeways

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Homeless Friend posted:

lol a parking lot collapse followed by a lithium fire. badass. also means crashes will be insanely more brutal. there is only one answer... overhead lines on freeways

lol texas is spending 1.5 bln to turn big stretches of i-35 into double deckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

lol texas is spending 1.5 bln to turn big stretches of i-35 into double deckers

Maybe they should shave off like half a billion to spend on a power grid that doesn't collapse when it rains.