Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Vomik posted:

was there actually anything in “the leaks”? I didn’t see the bigger one but the first set was a mix of made up poo poo from oryx combined with statistics that are incredibly obvious to anyone who has read more than a NYT summary.

the second one I heard had some obvious copium about how us has 100% eyes on china and their red line to provide weapons to Russia. which left me scratching my head bc china executed all their cia spies, almost definitely is several steps ahead of American intelligence, AND why exactly does Russia need weapons from china??

I almost think the NYT made a big deal about it for some ulterior motive

basically assessments that are kinda a more sober analysis of the state of the ukrainian military but also just total guess work based on osint posts (lol)

in other words, it runs contrary to the rosy picture the mainstream media paints of the situation and that's treason, bobby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

Is it gamer words?

Yes. One is “brap” which I thought was a fat fetish thing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes. One is “brap” which I thought was a fat fetish thing.

Well, uh, it's not a fat fetish thing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vomik posted:

was there actually anything in “the leaks”? I didn’t see the bigger one but the first set was a mix of made up poo poo from oryx combined with statistics that are incredibly obvious to anyone who has read more than a NYT summary.

the second one I heard had some obvious copium about how us has 100% eyes on china and their red line to provide weapons to Russia. which left me scratching my head bc china executed all their cia spies, almost definitely is several steps ahead of American intelligence, AND why exactly does Russia need weapons from china??

It caused controversy in Israel/South Korea that wasn’t favorable to the US and the overall picture it paints is really not great except for Oryx numbers. Also, having an 21 year old Airman having access to top secret information and then leaking it…is extremely embarrassing.

I don’t think it was a op or limited hangout, it just the US military is a bit of a mess.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Vomik posted:

i think the perceived danger (from the state's perspective) is disclosing exactly how close the US is trying to keep tabs on the conflict rather than any particular datum of info

the US really really wants to stop making it public knowledge that they're spying on and wargaming out foreign interests, even if the actual parties concerned know its happening anyway. idk exactly why but it doesn't matter, i suspect it has to do with China getting all the positive foreign policy press coverage lately but that seems rather thin.

e: it wasn't "made up poo poo" exactly, it was just a bunch of scenarios that were basically means-testing how likely it would be for ukraine to win probably used as the basis for scenarios where the US offers X or Y levels of aid packages

HiroProtagonist has issued a correction as of 23:57 on Apr 14, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I think the biggest reveal from the initial set of leaks is that the US has little to no control over Ukraine and has no clue whats actually going on with Ukrainian forces and is reduced to citing verbatim OSINT and Ukraine's publicly released propaganda numbers. Basically we're throwing billions of dollars worth of gear into an unaccountable black hole and hoping for the best, and US intelligence services are incapable of doing any intelligence gathering.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

I think the biggest reveal from the initial set of leaks is that the US has little to no control over Ukraine and has no clue whats actually going on with Ukrainian forces and is reduced to citing verbatim OSINT and Ukraine's publicly released propaganda numbers. Basically we're throwing billions of dollars worth of gear into an unaccountable black hole and hoping for the best, and US intelligence services are incapable of doing any intelligence gathering.

i mean to be fair that was literally the Iraq and Afghanistan strategy

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
thanks all I should try to find them and look through them again.

the first time I read them was when someone posted a tweet or telegram here and the fact that it was (at the time) from the “wowmao discord” from a month earlier - I honestly thought they had to be fake lol.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

iirc there was some numbers on the strength of armored battalions being mustered and a line like “training complete: 0%”

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Vomik posted:

thanks all I should try to find them and look through them again.

the first time I read them was when someone posted a tweet or telegram here and the fact that it was (at the time) from the “wowmao discord” from a month earlier - I honestly thought they had to be fake lol.

The going theory is that the stuff in the initial leaks was legit just from its wildly unlikely provenance (what disinformation campaign seeds poo poo on a tiny rear end Discord where it might never be found in a timely manner?), but some of the stuff being reported by major outlets in the 'previously unseen' 300 pages or whatever is probably an op to try and make something of the opportunity

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

lol. didn’t it also have like “ammo: ???” under ukraines military strength

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
There was that article by the big serge guy on twitter that talked about how the (initial) leaks were largely not actionable intelligence in the sense of stuff that immediately endangers the Ukrainian army or reveals any details of the plans or direction for their upcoming operations, it was more stuff that was generally embarrassing for Ukraine and the USA such as acknowledgements of the overall lack of training and supply possessed by the Ukrainian units and broad strokes analysis of the conditions of the war.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fortaleza posted:

iirc there was some numbers on the strength of armored battalions being mustered and a line like “training complete: 0%”

that's fine, you're supposed to deploy them as soon as they hit 10% which only takes 18 days anyway

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

The going theory is that the stuff in the initial leaks was legit just from its wildly unlikely provenance (what disinformation campaign seeds poo poo on a tiny rear end Discord where it might never be found in a timely manner?), but some of the stuff being reported by major outlets in the 'previously unseen' 300 pages or whatever is probably an op to try and make something of the opportunity

lol Jesus Christ.

can’t believe mlmp read my post about modern censorship moving to drowning reality in fakes and already ran that up the flag pole

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
if you take it at face value then the US thinks Ukraine still has tanks when they obviously don't. It claims they have more in the field than Russia. They obviously don't and part of them must know this because they're desperate to send them vehicles. But at some point dissonance sets in and the leak claims their tank formations are healthy AND they're getting a load of NATO stuff. Catastrophic stupidity or just a dumb op? Who knows?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

if you take it at face value then the US thinks Ukraine still has tanks when they obviously don't. It claims they have more in the field than Russia. They obviously don't and part of them must know this because they're desperate to send them vehicles. But at some point dissonance sets in and the leak claims their tank formations are healthy AND they're getting a load of NATO stuff. Catastrophic stupidity or just a dumb op? Who knows?

one analyst is saying ukraine has a million tanks now that they stole all of russia's armor brigades with tractors, another analyst is saying ukraine has suffered enough attrition via violent conflict none are left. a smart manager knows that means ukraine has half a million tanks :eng101:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Vomik posted:

lol. didn’t it also have like “ammo: ???” under ukraines military strength

that's pretty normal for WIP (e2: work in progress) stuff being produced for some demo presentation or another tbh, but if the "???" and related stuff had highlights that would already seal the deal on this hypothetical. it has to be workshopped then sent through whatever layers of chain of command approval before it got stamped "good" and this leak was just an inter-approval version of whatever

the approved stuff this guy probably didnt have access to, but it all kinda points to some kind of senior level briefing being worked on in DoD intel channels that he printed out

e: if the WIP materials were actually classified as TS/NOFORN (they probably were) then that means he printed them out in a SCIF and brought them home to take cellphone photos of to own his posting enemies, which i mean, lol

HiroProtagonist has issued a correction as of 00:26 on Apr 15, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I think it's telling that the "additional 300 pages" NYT and WaPo are referring to have not been seen anywhere, even by people who ripped all the photos from that discord. I'm with people who think the original leaks are real, but the entire news cycle being about the leaker and only the new, unseen stuff, seems coordinated.

For example, the ones I see on my news feed are all embarrassing to other countries and wouldn't be handled by the same intelligence shop preparing Ukraine briefs. What intelligence unit possibly has a portfolio this diverse?:

The reports have also caused embarrassment for two US-Middle East allies—Egypt and the United Arab Emirates.

Egypt denied a Washington Post report citing a leaked document dated February 17 that said it had reached a secret agreement to supply Russia with 40,000 rockets, gunpowder and artillery shells.

“In the document, Sisi instructs the officials to keep the production and shipment of the rockets secret ‘to avoid problems with the West’”, the Washington Post reported, referring to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.

Another leaked document focuses on the United Arab Emirates, saying Abu Dhabi had agreed to leak US and United Kingdom intelligence to curry favour with Russia.

“The UAE probably views engagement with Russian intelligence as an opportunity to strengthen growing ties between Abu Dhabi and Moscow and diversify intelligence partnerships amid concerns of US disengagement from the region,” the document cited by the Associated Press news agency says.

The UAE said suggestions it had deepened ties with Russian intelligence were “categorically false.”

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah, the actual war related 'revelations' are nothing that would surprise anyone who follows this thread. Ukraine is low on air defense, has a chronic shortage of artillery shells, real manpower issues, and is running with very understrength brigades. Thats why I thought just how in the dark the US is about Ukraine was the big takeaway

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
create an honorary account for this man because this is absolutely goon behavior

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HiroProtagonist posted:

that's pretty normal for WIP (e2: work in progress) stuff being produced for some demo presentation or another tbh, but if the "???" and related stuff had highlights that would already seal the deal on this hypothetical. it has to be workshopped then sent through whatever layers of chain of command approval before it got stamped "good" and this leak was just an inter-approval version of whatever

the approved stuff this guy probably didnt have access to, but it all kinda points to some kind of senior level briefing being worked on in DoD intel channels that he printed out

e: if the WIP materials were actually classified as TS/NOFORN (they probably were) then that means he printed them out in a SCIF and brought them home to take cellphone photos of to own his posting enemies, which i mean, lol

FYI if any of you guys leak classified documents here to own your posting enemies I promise not to share them in my other discords if that will ease your minds about posting classified docs.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it's telling that the "additional 300 pages" NYT and WaPo are referring to have not been seen anywhere, even by people who ripped all the photos from that discord. I'm with people who think the original leaks are real, but the entire news cycle being about the leaker and only the new, unseen stuff, seems coordinated.

For example, the ones I see on my news feed are all embarrassing to other countries and wouldn't be handled by the same intelligence shop preparing Ukraine briefs. What intelligence unit possibly has a portfolio this diverse?:

The reports have also caused embarrassment for two US-Middle East allies—Egypt and the United Arab Emirates.

Egypt denied a Washington Post report citing a leaked document dated February 17 that said it had reached a secret agreement to supply Russia with 40,000 rockets, gunpowder and artillery shells.

“In the document, Sisi instructs the officials to keep the production and shipment of the rockets secret ‘to avoid problems with the West’”, the Washington Post reported, referring to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.

Another leaked document focuses on the United Arab Emirates, saying Abu Dhabi had agreed to leak US and United Kingdom intelligence to curry favour with Russia.

“The UAE probably views engagement with Russian intelligence as an opportunity to strengthen growing ties between Abu Dhabi and Moscow and diversify intelligence partnerships amid concerns of US disengagement from the region,” the document cited by the Associated Press news agency says.

The UAE said suggestions it had deepened ties with Russian intelligence were “categorically false.”

smells like deflection

nobody is talking about what exactly is implied by the "major leak" in regards to the US

I would like to take a look at this "300 page" addition if or when it ever surfaces

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

To me it just sounds like trying to make lemons into lemonade by taking aim at two states close to the Saudis. Moreover, it doesn't really make sense at a certain point that he is uploading that many documents for e-cred, it doesn't make sense into that context.

I would say though if they are taking aim at UAE/Egypt, the beef with the Saudis is real.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:36 on Apr 15, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

sullat posted:

FYI if any of you guys leak classified documents here to own your posting enemies I promise not to share them in my other discords if that will ease your minds about posting classified docs.

i personally endorse this behavior

Ardennes posted:

To me it just sounds like trying to make lemons into lemonade by taking aim at two states close to the Saudis. Moreover, it doesn't really make sense at a certain point that he is uploading that many documents for e-cred, it doesn't make sense into that context.

I would say though if they are taking aim at UAE/Egypt, the beef with the Saudis is real.

it seems pretty stupid to try and make this into an embarrassment for the second tier of US allies behind the Sauds

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, the actual war related 'revelations' are nothing that would surprise anyone who follows this thread. Ukraine is low on air defense, has a chronic shortage of artillery shells, real manpower issues, and is running with very understrength brigades. Thats why I thought just how in the dark the US is about Ukraine was the big takeaway

afghanistan speedrun any % collapse

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's the other thing. I don't understand how those would be the same office, let alone same desk, and yeah a forum of gamers who care about weapons and tactics do not give a gently caress about these apparent unseen revelations:

"The war in Ukraine has gutted Russia’s clandestine spetsnaz forces, and it will take Moscow years to rebuild them, according to classified U.S. assessments obtained by The Washington Post.The finding, which has not been previously reported..."

"Leaked US documents have revealed that disagreements in Russia's security apparatus led to the defence ministry being accused of undercounting casualties of the war in Ukraine."

"Multiple screenshots of the documents - often of poor quality - are still circulating on Twitter, Telegram and Reddit.
But the originals are much harder to find. A lot of the original copies have now disappeared from the chats where they first emerged.
Others who shared the screenshots on Discord, Telegram and Twitter have either wiped out their feeds or deleted their social media profiles altogether."

"The leaked U.S. dossier, however, hints at something more serious. It describes the incident as a “near shoot-down” of the British aircraft. The language appears to go beyond what U.K. Defense Secretary Ben Wallace told lawmakers last October. This week, The New York Times reported that the Russian pilot had locked on the British aircraft before the missile failed to fire properly."

"The document also details several other close encounters in recent months between Russian fighter jets and U.S., U.K. and French surveillance aircraft — a subject that jumped into the news last month when a Russian fighter jet collided with a U.S. drone, sending it crashing into the Black Sea."

Weirdly all of the new leaks reinforce US narratives that have already been the consensus of WaPo and NYT, and all of the leaks about Ukraine getting hosed up are disappearing.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Weirdly all of the new leaks reinforce US narratives that have already been the consensus of WaPo and NYT, and all of the leaks about Ukraine getting hosed up are disappearing.

In a week, it will hardly be remembered that the documents were about Ukraine at all

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bedpan posted:

In a week, it will hardly be remembered that the documents were about Ukraine at all

Concerning.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

nDimensional chess, but it's pretty funny that by muddying the waters they news outlets are making a good case for the original leak being very real.

Yes this sentiment has been expressed here before, I'm not ignoring you, it's also still funny.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

HiroProtagonist posted:

this actually sounds like exactly what it was and I think i remember those acronyms. they looked like they were printed on some large format paper

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

smells like deflection

nobody is talking about what exactly is implied by the "major leak" in regards to the US

I would like to take a look at this "300 page" addition if or when it ever surfaces

Unfortunately the 300 pages are now classified again and can never be released to the public, for security purposes. All of the State Department propaganda outlets will give you tantalizing summaries though! Is that not good enough?

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

I think the thing FF is pointing towards is that Ukraine believes its only avenue for not losing the war is to provoke Russian escalation leading to NATO involvement by using long range weapons to hit Russian infrastructure, thus turning a small-ish regional proxy war into a full blown global war.

The intent is not to bolster their long range capabilities to achieve tangible limited military goals like blowing up ammo dumps or tank repair factories, the goal is to start WW3 and hope the Russians lose because thats all the ideas they have left.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

Unfortunately the 300 pages are now classified again and can never be released to the public, for security purposes. All of the State Department propaganda outlets will give you tantalizing summaries though! Is that not good enough?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Because that's the only logical scenario. Destroying the Russian government means starting world war 3 because they will use nuclear weapons as a desperate attempt at self preservation.

There's no realistic scenario you can imagine that involves fighting Russia and beating them without nuclear weapons being used.

That's why the only other options are a coup or a collapse of the government to the point where the army can't fight a war. Both of these were attempted via economic sanctions, and it hasn't worked so far.

Edit: Which just goes back to the west clearly not thinking through the consequences of their actions. So we're all just playing a game chicken to see where it ends.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-says-it-is-finding-more-chinese-components-russian-weapons-2023-04-14/

quote:

reuters.com
Ukraine says it is finding more Chinese components in Russian weapons
4 minute read April 14, 20236:06 AM PDT Last Updated 11 hours ago
5–6 minutes

Chinese President Xi Jinping visits Russia

[1/4] Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin attend a presentation of a Haval F7 SUV produced at the Haval car plant located in Russian Tula region, at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, June 5, 2019. Maxim Shipenkov/Pool via Reuters/File Photo

LONDON/FRANKFURT, April 14 (Reuters) - Ukrainian forces are finding a growing number of components from China in Russian weapons used in Ukraine, a senior adviser in President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's office told Reuters, as Western supplies are squeezed by sanctions.

In "the weapons recovered from the battlefield we continue to find different electronics," said Vladyslav Vlasiuk, who advises the president's chief of staff on sanctions policy.

"The trend is now that there is less Western-made components but more – not hard (to) guess which country – made components. Of course, China," he said via a video call.

China has repeatedly denied sending military equipment to Russia since Moscow's all-out invasion of Ukraine in February 2022. The assault triggered Western sanctions, including on sending military and dual-use technology such as microchips that could be used in either ordinary appliances or weapons.

Intelligence gathered by Ukrainian experts from the battlefield and shared with Reuters stated that Chinese-made components were found in a navigation system in Orlan aerial drones that had previously used a Swiss system.

The experts also reported finding Chinese parts in the fire control system in Russian tanks that had earlier used French-made parts.

Reuters could not independently verify the intelligence, including whether the components mentioned may have been intended for non-military use or whether they were moved to Russia by a third party.

"We're picking (up) a lot of different stuff, China made," Vlasiuk said.

Asked whether Chinese companies had provided parts for Russian military hardware, China's foreign ministry spokesperson's office told Reuters: "Throughout history, China has launched normal trade cooperation with all countries, including Russia, on the basis of equality and mutual benefit."

"As for military item exports, China has throughout adopted a prudent and responsible attitude. China's position and actions have always been this way."

NAMING NAMES

Vlasiuk said that Ukraine was able to identify some manufacturers or suppliers and share that information with Western allies.

He named China North Industries Group (Norinco), a Chinese weapons maker, as one supplier and military supplier Xinxing Guangzhou Import & Export Co as another, without saying what they had supplied.

A member of staff at Norinco, who declined to give their name, said the company was "not providing military equipment components to Russia".

Xinxing Guangzhou Import & Export Co did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Russia's foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The top U.S. diplomat Antony Blinken last month said China had not "crossed that line" yet of supplying Russia with lethal aid.

However, U.S. officials are watching developments closely and are concerned, in particular, by so-called dual-use products, such as electronics that can be used in, say, a microwave or a missile.

"We and our partner governments are relentlessly focused on restricting Russia's access to key technologies that fuel its brutality in Ukraine," said a senior State Department official. "We will continue to take action to degrade Putin’s war machine."

Earlier this week, the U.S. added Chinese companies to its latest sanctions, including a satellite image reseller that the State Department said supplied imagery of locations in Ukraine to entities affiliated with Wagner and its head, Yevgeny Prigozhin.

China, which has positioned itself as a mediator, has said it is not interested in inflaming the conflict as it says Western arms supplies to Ukraine do.

Ukraine has imposed sanctions on the Chinese company Comnav Technology for supplying navigation and radar equipment to Russia that could be used to support Russian and Iranian drones and missiles. A Comnav staff member, asked whether it was supplying components to Russia said, "No, of course not". The staff member declined to be named.

Vlasiuk described an "ongoing battle" first to impose sanctions on Russia and then to close loop-holes Moscow would find to avoid them.

"We see that there a lot of examples of third countries continuing, willingly or not, to support sanctions circumvention," he said.

Reporting by Matthias Williams and John O'Donnell; Additional reporting by Laurie Chen in Beijing; editing by Philippa Fletcher

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

imo the western components identified before also came from china

that said lmao at westerners thinking it was an epic L for putin to not get chinese weapons when china could just do what the reuters article just reported

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

Edit: Which just goes back to the west clearly not thinking through the consequences of their actions. So we're all just playing a game chicken to see where it ends.

oh they know, they're like children on xmas eve at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?dxA2ZD6bhcU&t=2526s

starts grinning like an idiot when she starts imagining striking command and control within russian territory, what a ghoul

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The US wanted afghanistan, like a long protracted insurgency versus a long conventional war. It would have been cost effective to train some guys on how to make IEDs and provide them small arms. Instead the western MIC cant provide weapons fast enough and they get used up almost as fast.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, that's a great point, that I personally haven't really though of.

The west sees this conventional war as a huge victory for them. On the other hand all of their aid and plans would have been more efficient/useful in a prolonged guerilla war.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
im sorry we can't wage industrial war, we don't have any industry

maybe we can win a financial war? we have plenty of finance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And before anyone starts with "but the west gets to use up its old stockpiles". Which is good.

Unlike the dumb orcs who are forced to use old stockpiles because they're backwards savages. Which is bad.

It might be good for the finances and budget committees to just throw away your old supposedly useless junk. But it doesn't seem like it's good from the point of view of fighting a war.