Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Tigey posted:

Its an obvious parody - even within the last few weeks there are too many absurd moments

It's a parody, but I think it's a pro-Russia parody, since it also posts a lot of pro-Russian poo poo that a parody that's making fun of Russian twitter wouldn't do.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

imagine if girkie and priggy kissed

We should probably not become homophobic to own the homophobes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

WebDO posted:

Slight clarification: at least two, if not three, top secret vehicle manuals were leaked by way of War Thunder players trying to get their favorite vehicles' stats changed in the game. Often resulting in arrests of active duty military idiots.

And it's a game with German tanks in it so they also have a better than average chance of being Nazis IRL as well

Meh, wake me up when it’s an employee https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/15/18623545/eagle-dynamics-f-16-manual-conspiracy-smuggling-russia

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

why are you all posting so much about a twitter account that has 70 followers?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

HKR posted:

why are you all posting so much about a twitter account that has 70 followers?

Also, satire died a long time ago.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Philonius posted:

Yeah, these make it pretty obvious. The initial tweet shared did not stray very far from genuinely held tankie opinions though.

I am trying to come to terms with a growing realization that there is nothing my meager imagination can conjure up that is so patently over the top horrible that it is in fact recognizable as patently over the top horrible, or even especially noteworthy, when compared to what real horrible people actually think and say in earnest.

I ate a probe in the last thread for saying dumb poo poo that in my mind was obvious hyperbole, but which unfortunately wasn't. It was p bland milquetoast white poo poo noise compared to what's being put out by real horrible people on the reg. I don't really read much by horrible people, so I thought I was witty. Well I loving wasn't. Completely justified probe; shouldn't have posted, I regret posting. gently caress me and my stupid glib mouth.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Irony is a poison that everyone gets to enjoy!

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

I am trying to come to terms with a growing realization that there is nothing my meager imagination can conjure up that is so patently over the top horrible that it is in fact recognizable as patently over the top horrible, or even especially noteworthy, when compared to what real horrible people actually think and say in earnest.

I ate a probe in the last thread for saying dumb poo poo that in my mind was obvious hyperbole, but which unfortunately wasn't. It was p bland milquetoast white poo poo noise compared to what's being put out by real horrible people on the reg. I don't really read much by horrible people, so I thought I was witty. Well I loving wasn't. Completely justified probe; shouldn't have posted, I regret posting. gently caress me and my stupid glib mouth.

Seems like you're independently rediscovering Poe's Law

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, that is precisely it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Or in the words of Descartes, if you want to be fancy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

zone posted:

It's referring to when the leaked documents from that discord server also ended up on a minecraft server or forum, don't remember exactly which

Also, in case op missed it, the war thunder forums have had the same thing happen when nerds who happen to have special clearance wanted to prove that this plane is better than that plane and should have more stats or some dumb poo poo like that

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
And yes, yes I'm the idiot, obv.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

So what happens if a majority of posters attempted to present consistently, ethically, and authentically?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Not known. This has never happened.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

Not known. This has never happened.

Also, there likely never be a true representation of all thoughts online. There's tons of people, voices and ideas that don't get amplified because of the medium or aren't ever going to be savvy enough to care or try or even reach the space of morons thinking any of this bullshit matters.

I like how this fake quote encapsulates part of the problem. (IDK, did Descartes reallly say anything like this?)

Karate Bastard posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Yes, Descartes did say that" - Bertrand Russell

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Splorange posted:

IDK, did Descartes reallly say anything like this?

I doubt it. It doesn't have that cogito, ergo sum vibe about it.

e: According to wikiquote talk it's not Descartes, but by DarkShikari on y-combinator lol.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 14, 2023

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

"Yes, Descartes did say that" - Bertrand Russell

please fight me when there's something to fight about, I like the cut of your jib

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

I doubt it. It doesn't have that cogito, ergo sum vibe about it.

e: According to wikiquote talk it's not Descartes, but by DarkShikari on y-combinator lol.

Also.. also... fuckit what is bbs.. what is online speech these days?

What do we do when a LLM says something that's actually novel and worthwhile and we really really want to pretend we thought about it?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Xlorp posted:

So what happens if a majority of posters attempted to present consistently, ethically, and authentically?
There are threads on these very Precious Forums where this is the norm but the problem is we are posting consistently, ethically, and authentically about, like, a boardgame 30 people own or something

This loops back to these current issues, as those with top secret clearance playing War Thunder who want their experience to be authentic and consistent forget the ethical part

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Tigey posted:

Its an obvious parody - even within the last few weeks there are too many absurd moments

yeah I saw all of those and they look too stupid and numerous to be a parody

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Play posted:

Also, in case op missed it, the war thunder forums have had the same thing happen when nerds who happen to have special clearance wanted to prove that this plane is better than that plane and should have more stats or some dumb poo poo like that

have had the same thing happen at least five times.

Splorange posted:

What do we do when a LLM says something that's actually novel and worthwhile and we really really want to pretend we thought about it?

I wouldn't worry about it happening given what LLMs are and how they work, but if it does presumably one would be able to use an LLM to write a polite thank-you note for their input.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

brocked posted:

so Finland allows Sontarans to serve in their government?

Qano-ano has never served in government. Finland uses a parliamentary system where after the election, some set of parties that control >50% of the seats work together to form the government, and the responsibilities of the MPs of the parties that were left out are limited to shouting sick burns at the government from the bleachers whenever they can come up with good ones.

Ano entered parliament in the 2019 elections, not because of his own accomplishments but because the Racist Party has a reasonably popular platform (sadly) but a serious shortage of actual talent to put up in election, so every election they just vomit a massive slate of completely newbie candidates whose qualifications are mostly that they have learned in the school of life, as opposed to formal education, and so are relatable to old working-class people. Then after the elections people are really loving surprised to find out that the new PS candidates are drunks, criminals, or otherwise very loving incompetent, and they mostly wash out.

Ano managed to rustle up all of 3264 votes, which was enough because the party collected enough votes for 4 seats from his district, and didn't have that many qualified candidates. Because of D'Hondt, when you have a slate of one competent guy and 30 no-name morons and win 4 seats, well, you get that competent guy and whichever 3 morons managed to get the most seats.

The government formed after the elections was center-left, and PS was left out, so the only thing Ano actually did in his 4 years in the parliament was to get kicked out of the Racist party by being publicly too racist even for them. Then he formed his own party and parliamentary group, whose platform consisted of basically parroting Kremlin propaganda points, and which won 0 seats in the latest elections.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 14, 2023

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Horseshoe theory, except the two ends are also jerking one another off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tank Museum posted a new video about Ukraine, this time it's on Russian tank tactics in the war:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR4rNAYAdIk

There's some combat footage (from a variety of decades), but nothing too graphic, no visible fatalities that I saw.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Don't post NYTimes or Wapo links cause they're serial doxxers and promoting their content is pro doxxing, gently caress I hate this site and the terminal losers that run it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1646970927391952898

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Putin launches a simple special military operation, and then the god drat mainstream media doxxes him as the guy who also started a war

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Feher_Junior/status/1646974284810600448

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

If this is true those Abrams must be very nearly, if not already, in Ukraine.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Lol he looks worse than usual.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Prigozhin going for that "look I tried to get us out of here before anyone else" card to have in his hand to play for influence in the power struggles to come lol

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

"Our aims of proving large scale deployment of mercenary groups alongside the armed forces of our country, but also outside of their command structure, is a worthwhile investment (in me). Furthermore, we proved that attacking a country with many of the same military technologies as our own results in a somewhat sticky situation where the best e-war assets handily disable or degrade the capabilities of both the enemy and ourselves (got paid for that, too.) In addition, we've cemented the idea that starting the largest land war since WW2 in almost the exact same places or ways that doomed every eastward invasion also "works" towards direction west (not my idea). It turns out that our previous attempt to destabilize countries in our chosen sphere of interest were not only successful, but noticed and ultimately resisted by the rest of the world (They mad. Me? Not mad). We should really stop while we're ahead!"

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Prigozhin is a business man. An evil, demented business man but he understands a sunk cost fallacy. There's bank to be made raping Africa, and Ukraine is no longer the money maker he thought it might be despite his new salt mine. Time to pillage elsewhere.

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress this tunnel war poo poo is? According to a brief googling the idea might be that these tunnel networks are used by those god drat American adrenochrone hogs to transport children around underground.

they are one of the few finnish q anon actives and these guys are specialized in the tunnel part of the lore - they drive around the country and report about possible tunnels in their youtube account.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's literally the sort of stuff that you make up as a kid playing in the woods. Wow an old foundation covered in dead leaves, most likely secret alien tunnels that form part of a secret mission right in our suburb!! :yeerks:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

More information about the Finnish treason guys.

Does anyone know what the gently caress this tunnel war poo poo is? According to a brief googling the idea might be that these tunnel networks are used by those god drat American adrenochrone hogs to transport children around underground.

Most of Finnish geology consists of extremely old (1.5By+) exposed extremely hard and tough basement rock. If I go outside and kick a few cm of soil off, the rock below is solid, hard granite that goes straight down unbroken for kilometers.

This extremely hard rock is, kind of paradoxically, typically very cheap to quarry. Because it needs no reinforcement, it is easy to mine through blasting, and the rock you extract is actually valuable enough to sell at prices high enough to cover a significant part of your expenses. Because of this, we have tunneled a lot. Like a lot lot.(pdf) Some of this underground stuff is public, like all that infrastructure in Helsinki. But there's quite a bit of fairly obvious additional stuff. Like, when there are three small restricted military zones on different sides of the same hill, each housing only a few small buildings but large parking lots that are often full, it doesn't exactly take a genius to put two and two together.

So when you start with "there's a lot of stuff underground", add "some of it is secret and not publicly talked about", you can bet crazy conspiracy guys are getting their money's worth. When I was in the military, there were all these rumors about tunnels much longer than the officially acknowledged ones. Those rumors were probably bullshit, but less incredible than you'd think -- when the capital started exhausting local freshwater supplies, they just casually dug a 120km tunnel to act as an aqueduct.

Looking at these guys, apparently the tunnel rumors have expanded greatly, and instead of connecting different Finnish towns, they are now crossing continents.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

That Finland has gates to the underworld, and are comfortable in their depths, will confirm many suspicions when this gets out.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

It's literally the sort of stuff that you make up as a kid playing in the woods. Wow an old foundation covered in dead leaves, most likely secret alien tunnels that form part of a secret mission right in our suburb!! :yeerks:

zelenskyy revealed to be a controller all along

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Just Another Lurker posted:

Using a stiletto as the tip of the spear appears to be an unsustainable combat choice. :blyat: :negative:

they're running out of boots so what do you propose they use

russia uses pencils!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WHERE VICTORY?