Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Played this for ten minutes. I am bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

the buzz saw seems bad but this guy uses thru most of his 1cc and loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=live?LvhKEbGCXYI&t=153s wow

video was taken down :stonk:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
edit nvm the urls just messed up

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

beat my score and got a video of it this time if you want to see how a mediocre player can 1CC

2203220 points. video is still processing HD for another ~90m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-DT13YyJI

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it just occurred to me that some people might not be using autofire. I recommend you use autofire.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

it just occurred to me that some people might not be using autofire. I recommend you use autofire.

The game looked a lot easier with autofire in your recording, yeah lol. People wouldn't have had autofire in the arcade though. I have always considered turbo out of bounds, surprised to hear it's commonly done

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Arch Nemesis posted:

The game looked a lot easier with autofire in your recording, yeah lol. People wouldn't have had autofire in the arcade though. I have always considered turbo out of bounds, surprised to hear it's commonly done

only the craziest shmup purists rail against autofire IMO. I'm not interested in carpal tunnel syndrome and worn out controllers.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

bees x1000 posted:

beat my score and got a video of it this time if you want to see how a mediocre player can 1CC

2203220 points. video is still processing HD for another ~90m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J-DT13YyJI

nicely done!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Arch Nemesis posted:

theres no way im playing danmaku w/o my steam layout where i can toggle fire

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Arch Nemesis posted:

if you go to a japanese game center every cab will have an autofire circuit installed

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

bees x1000 posted:

in mame fyi for ppl who don't know how to do this its sort of a pita: open the general settings BEFORE you open a rom [this is in the default mame ui idk about other interfaces], go down to plugins and turn the "autofire" plugin on.

then when you open the rom hit Tab for the menu go to plugin options and set up your buttons this is what mine are:

the input is the button you want to autofire and hotkey is the actual autofire button.

honestly kind of lame how every weapon BUT the obviously best one you want most of the time doesn't have autofire in this. but hell youll also get faster autofire with the purple gun like this anyway. also the plugin basically necessary for games w/o autofire in the standard settings

u might have to restart mame after turning on the plugin idk

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

mycophobia posted:

if you go to a japanese game center every cab will have an autofire circuit installed

yeah like arcade cabs didnt have autofire out of the box but even back in the day it was not uncommon for owners to put them in after the fact. its become more widespread over time cuz people are less interested in testing the skill of "tapping a button very fast" or getting injured over it but its not like the idea was invented in 2014 lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
also i never had to learn how to configure mame autofire because i have this thing lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

also be sure to check out my tshirt shop. YES, i have cleared it with the admins of the forum and the discord.gg/impzonewholesome discord.

folks you're missing out hit buy now

it only goes up to 3xl..............................

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
lol i know out zones thing is its filled with a bunch of secret toaplan refs but somehow i triggered the tiger heli powerup and almost gave myself a heart attack

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The only time I've found the tatsujin ship I walked into a pit like 10 seconds later

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

cool info on the autofire stuff, had no idea.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

also be sure to check out my tshirt shop. YES, i have cleared it with the admins of the forum and the discord.gg/impzonewholesome discord.

lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Arch Nemesis posted:

cool info on the autofire stuff, had no idea.

yeah its not something people talk about much these days unfortunately. but like by the 90s aftermarket autofire was becoming common enough that game devs started designing around it in one way or another. one particularly mean way some did was to make rank skyrocket if you were shooting fast enough, battle garegga being perhaps the most notable example of a game that did that for modern shmup players. out zone came out the same year as gun frontier, and gun frontier is one of those games that shoots the rank up if you fire quickly lol. just how stuff went back then

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I think autofire is good game design, and I also think giving players a reason to not hold the fire button down all the time is good game design. Charged shots, rank management, score chaining... stuff like that.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
for sure, but in this one instance it feels like a pretty adversarial choice. a lot of arcade design feels that way so its not out of line lol, i just prefer when the way to make you not hold fire feels like a reward and not a punishment. just personal feelings. and of course better to design around it even if you pick something mean than to not do it at all lol. which many games still didnt do and then they got their poo poo rocked by 30hz autofire

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

oh I agree, there's rank management and then there's Yagawa.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

: Beat the game
: Finish the Destroyers for good

Forgot to get a screenshot when I beat the destroyers

: Complete all five Flashback levels

Game is pretty chaotic in a good way, but I feel like even on easy the enemies were way too beefy for how many you have to deal with in any given fight.

I might try Outzone again with autofire on since that apparently makes a huge difference.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

: Complete The Armies of the Night

lol wtf was that

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

rodbeard posted:

: Complete The Armies of the Night

lol wtf was that

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

in mame fyi for ppl who don't know how to do this its sort of a pita: open the general settings BEFORE you open a rom [this is in the default mame ui idk about other interfaces], go down to plugins and turn the "autofire" plugin on.

then when you open the rom hit Tab for the menu go to plugin options and set up your buttons this is what mine are:

the input is the button you want to autofire and hotkey is the actual autofire button.

honestly kind of lame how every weapon BUT the obviously best one you want most of the time doesn't have autofire in this. but hell youll also get faster autofire with the purple gun like this anyway. also the plugin basically necessary for games w/o autofire in the standard settings

u might have to restart mame after turning on the plugin idk

this is really helpful thank you :cheerdoge:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i finished no-missing each stage in isolation, and my first genuine credit made it to the stage 4 boss before gaming over. hope i can clear before the deadline....

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

also i never had to learn how to configure mame autofire because i have this thing lol

Its not your fault

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Its not your fault

lmfao

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

mycophobia posted:

i finished no-missing each stage in isolation, and my first genuine credit made it to the stage 4 boss before gaming over. hope i can clear before the deadline....

I hope you do or at least someone does, I'll feel a little bad about the pick if I'm the only one who manages the clear

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Its not your fault

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Arch Nemesis posted:

now it makes sense to me why the steam version’s auto fire setting mentions that toggling it won’t affect your score/rank. it’s cool, can’t think of other situations like it in other gaming scenes

practicing 1cc, I feel like I can take down the bosses pretty safely but something stupid takes me out around stage 3 and the run starts falling apart

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

bees x1000 posted:

I hope you do or at least someone does, I'll feel a little bad about the pick if I'm the only one who manages the clear

it feels doable if i stop getting killed by dumb random stuff lol. ill see if i can manage it this weekend

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I wish I was better at this type of game because they’re really loving cool but I am just dreadful lmao

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Sub-Actuality posted:

I wish I was better at this type of game because they’re really loving cool but I am just dreadful lmao

practice is key! just like anything else

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

: Clear the first loop
Nice pick. Always enjoyed the genre, but not very good at it. Have to rely heavily on unlimited continues and also autofire was a major help.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

practice is key! just like anything else

:hai: I'm using the Arino method of brute-force repetition

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
current no-miss distance pb is the maze right before the stage 4 boss, though i spent a ton of bombs on stage 4 cuz its only like my second time there lol. and i didnt actually do much yesterday, so i think if i spend the weekend on it ive got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

What do I do on steam to make the three-way shot autofire faster than once per second