Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I watched all of it until the end of the first season and never played any of the games until recently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish to zoom out

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sit further back from your monitor

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Star Man posted:

I find it hard to believe anyone has nostalgia for the Battle Network anime. That show was dead on arrival outside of Japan.

Ok, Mini-Boomer.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Ok, Mini-Boomer.

It was buried under off-brand Pokémon anime like Yu-Gi-Oh! and only two seasons of it were dubbed. I'm not being cynical about--who actually watched this show outside of Japan? It could not have been many people.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Star Man posted:

It was buried under off-brand Pokémon anime like Yu-Gi-Oh! and only two seasons of it were dubbed. I'm not being cynical about--who actually watched this show outside of Japan? It could not have been many people.

I was just shitposting about the dub's rename of the Mini-Bombs. v:v:v

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I got got

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Thought you were referring to the clothes pin viruses that shoot the boomerangs at you.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, I don't want to cheat the game but I'm reeeally tempted to turn Buster MAX on for BN1 until I have enough cards to make a decent deck instead of the random mishmash you start with.

Or just skipping it and starting with 2.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Star Man posted:

I find it hard to believe anyone has nostalgia for the Battle Network anime. That show was dead on arrival outside of Japan.

I watched it religiously when I was a kid Megaman fan. Though I had not played the BN games when watching it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Star Man posted:

I need you to know I got a copyright strike with my former ISP for grabbing the undubbed seasons of that show when I discovered how bonkers they got.

In 2019. For some reason, there was still some kind of US copyright flag on that poo poo that long.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Star Man posted:

Those 2 seasons consisted of 106 episodes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well I've never networked my battle. Is it OK for a begginner?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Man, I don't want to cheat the game but I'm reeeally tempted to turn Buster MAX on for BN1 until I have enough cards to make a decent deck instead of the random mishmash you start with.

BN1 is rough. Don't be afraid to Buster MAX, it doesn't effect achievements or anything, and BN1 isn't worth torturing yourself.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I forgot to save between the middle of the numberman scenario and going to the government building. I did not expect mooks in a food stand to deal 100 damage a hit

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That food stand owner must have been visiting some gnarly webspaces.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Meowywitch posted:

Well I've never networked my battle. Is it OK for a begginner?

Yes, they are fun.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flytrap posted:

I got in a weird mood and decided I'd go all shockwave with metools and then I learned you can only do 10 of any chip. Still, 20 shockwaves and a folder of mostly same letters getting it done

My MMBN complain is as.old as the game itself, travelling the bet sucks. Basically need a nap open if you don't wanna waste time. In general level design kind of just feels like they were learning how to work with the isometric perspective and do the things they wanted.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Running away from random battles being only possible with a chip and no way to actual lower the encounter rate are probably some of the biggest replay killers for BN1.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah I wanted to go for the platinum earnestly but losing like two hours of zenny and chip farming to that was disheartening, and from what I hear there's some bullshit power plant later on. Buster Max till BN2, I think.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's still early, but hoping there's a mod or trainer to help with the encounter rate. Big blesses to anyone if they make a speed-up button somehow. Quick glance at trainers I'm just seeing give self all chips or money or ez battle type stuff.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The power plant is a real design fuckeroo.

Invisible paths that you can only find by rubbing your face on the walls.
Trial and error battery puzzles where you have to go back to a previous area to recharge the batteries after a couple of attempts.
A meter that depletes as you run around, meaning you're punished for rubbing your face on walls and failing the trial and error puzzles. When it runs out you have to do a Metal Gear Solid torture sequence to recharge, but that's not the real punishment, the real punishment is that when it's below 20%, you stop healing to full after battles.
Enemies that inflict the hosed-up not-quite-paralysis status that hurts you and resets its duration every time you move, and enemies that slowly grab their way into your area and do an attack that's eventually unavoidable, so that HP is going down.
You can't jack out until it's done, so no healing that way.
And the boss fight is a surprise double boss fight, both of whom have separate gimmicks that are precision-designed to make a new and unconfident player (you know, like a child) panic.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Wow and I thought these devs were sadistic with what I've seen of the net layout mixed with encounter rate so far.

Speaking of, what's with that portal at the end of Yai's domain? I went there twice so far to see if anything triggers but I'd rather not go back through there again until I know it's worth that trek.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Uhhh that's probably just where you spawn when you jack in from her computer.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

...oh I forgot that was a thing in battle network games hahaha

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I, on the other hand, spam the jack in button while walking everywhere just in case something has a port.

edit: Lan sad watching the beeping test pattern program on some TVs in the govt building... sad bro hospital stuff or just a kid sad TV is over for the night?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 15, 2023

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Dabir posted:

The power plant is a real design fuckeroo.

Invisible paths that you can only find by rubbing your face on the walls.
Trial and error battery puzzles where you have to go back to a previous area to recharge the batteries after a couple of attempts.
A meter that depletes as you run around, meaning you're punished for rubbing your face on walls and failing the trial and error puzzles. When it runs out you have to do a Metal Gear Solid torture sequence to recharge, but that's not the real punishment, the real punishment is that when it's below 20%, you stop healing to full after battles.
Enemies that inflict the hosed-up not-quite-paralysis status that hurts you and resets its duration every time you move, and enemies that slowly grab their way into your area and do an attack that's eventually unavoidable, so that HP is going down.
You can't jack out until it's done, so no healing that way.
And the boss fight is a surprise double boss fight, both of whom have separate gimmicks that are precision-designed to make a new and unconfident player (you know, like a child) panic.

Almost every single one of these issues is fixed in Operation Shooting Star, which makes it really sad they insisted on not using any of the QOL updates from that.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thinking about getting BN Collection 1 (As far as I know, 6 is the only good one in 2). I remember liking BN2 more than BN3 back in the day, even though everyone says 3 is the best one, so I sort of want to revisit that and start with that..

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I forget which one really dragged but I thought the rest of them were good to great. Full disclosure: I also really enjoyed StarForce.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I forget which one really dragged but I thought the rest of them were good to great. Full disclosure: I also really enjoyed StarForce.

BN4. The answer is BN4.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I remember falling off the series in 4.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Playing the games in order and I am already tempted to turn on buster max mode for BN1 because oh god the starting folder, and oh god BN1 mechanics. Also needing to draw a specific chip to escape is sure a first game mechanic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

4 is the one that enrages, 5 is the one that drags. 6 is the best one in the series.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Did they manage to update/fix any of BN4's translation? I haven't checked.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They haven't.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Star Man posted:

It's me. I'm the person who was introduced to MegaMan thru the anime and I rewatch it like every two years out of love and nostalgia. My brother got me MMBN4 cuz it was the latest one back in 04, I had just gotten a GBA SP (my first own console), he knew I loved the anime and he had no idea of BN4s reputation.

Fun fact: In LatAm we only got the first season dubbed in Spanish, so for the longest time I thought the show ended at the Gospel arc (or Grave, cuz LatAm followed dub names). Imagine my surprise as a dumb 11-12yo with so-so english trying to parse BN4's story and wondering where the N1/PharaohMan/Gospel parts would show up.

Also, at that time we got internet at home and my mind was blown when I discovered MegaMan websites and forums like RockMan.EXE Online, Planet MegaMan, RockMan PM, exe.hq, and realized there not only more games, but more anime episodes. It was a hell of an experience for younger me: Now it's Power Rangers! Evil ProtoMan! Raika is now a Main protag! Cybeasts from another dimension! I watched everything that came out, even if that meant seeing episodes in unsubbed japanese while reading summaries from EXE Online or from forum posters that knew Japanese well enough to give a rough summary of each episode as they came out.

Siselmo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 15, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

Did they manage to update/fix any of BN4's translation? I haven't checked.

Almost none of the scripts were touched beyond changing SpoutMan (and associated chips) to AquaMan, adding the missing content (which still has typos, I hear), and I believe changing Z-Saver to Z-Saber.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Unlucky7 posted:

Thinking about getting BN Collection 1 (As far as I know, 6 is the only good one in 2). I remember liking BN2 more than BN3 back in the day, even though everyone says 3 is the best one, so I sort of want to revisit that and start with that..
BN5 is great imo, but it is a bit slower, yeah. I really like liberation missions tho and it feels very polished to me.

4 as everybody says is unbelievably awful.

I personally also like 2 a bit more than 3, it has a certain purity to it (don't always have to think "oh I should drag out this encounter to counter their attacks and get frags"), you can save two styles, the bosses in 3 are AWFUL...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

God it's been so long I forgot how clunky BN1 felt even at the time.

Also everyone talking about oven's "spitting fire" now makes me think the ovens are putting out mixtapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I forgot how funny and hideous some of the generic NPC portraits are. The boys your age look like South Park Canadians and the young ones have foreheads the size of the moon