Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nosfereefer posted:

diogenes lived an ascetic life. every single goon obsessively collects pop-culture figurines

I dunno, the whole plucked chicken bit seems like something the Ur-Goon would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
a goon wouldn't know how to pluck a Chicken

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Goons don't pluck chickens, only choke them

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nosfereefer posted:

diogenes lived an ascetic life. every single goon obsessively collects pop-culture figurines

plz rephrase your comment in the form of a dank meme big dog little dog and chad virgin are both acceptable formats

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

everyone hearing about diogenes: cool, rad even. would love to smoke a bowl with that king
everyone seeing a modern homeless coot jerking off: um where is my nazi party to vote for and policeman to kiss and hug

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Discord server that Mr Toler tracked the leaks to belongs to a popular YouTube channel called Wow Mao, which creates “low effort” meme videos with titles like “which Communist would you smoke with?” and “who is the better philosopher? Diogenes versus Jordan Peterson”.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
when u go back to his place and see this is his bed u know youre getting the best dick of ur life:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/strongblacklead/status/1646166545754730504?t=NVa54qTM3S4gxBCUq0Cp-g&s=19

This is, uh, not true, right?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

hahahahahaahahahahahaha

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

why did i scroll through the comments

i need to go lie down now

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
She looked black but she was white so it's looking okay so far

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i dunno, are macedonians white?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i dont think it was invented yet

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

She looked black but she was white so it's looking okay so far

she was an inbred Greek royal that was part of the occupying colonial government that oppressed the native people of the region. she was white as gently caress even if the term "white" did not mean anything. she certainly was not ethnically African

WoodrowSkillson has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Apr 13, 2023

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

cleopatra, comin “at ya”

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

she was an inbred Greek royal that was part of the occupying colonial government that oppressed the native people of the region. she was white as gently caress even if the term "white" did not mean anything. she certainly was not ethnically African

They could have just made a Hatshepsut movie! She was actually african and wasn't just a semi-figurehead of a moribund kingdom who just really liked italians

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

They could have just made a Hatshepsut movie! She was actually african and wasn't just a semi-figurehead of a moribund kingdom who just really liked italians
cleopatra hated being white, which is why she was so into italians

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

yeah, thats the thing, by doing this you are skipping an actual African historical figure in favor of some weird ahistorical retelling.

for the record, for 90% of poo poo it absolutely does not matter what the ethnicity of an actor playing a role is, but when the thing is touting itself as telling history, yeah it kinda does. it covers for the Ptolemies and makes them look like native rulers, and also denies someone like Queen Amanirenas a time to shine. She actually fought the Romans at the same time as Cleopatra and won.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUIE6D_IoH0&t=28s

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Assassin's Creed Origins had a pretty fun treatment of Cleopatra and Ptolemaic Egypt. It kinda falls off the rails once Pompey and Lucius Septimius show up but the game is way better than it has any right to be.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR9MxjCyebY

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah, thats the thing, by doing this you are skipping an actual African historical figure in favor of some weird ahistorical retelling.

for the record, for 90% of poo poo it absolutely does not matter what the ethnicity of an actor playing a role is, but when the thing is touting itself as telling history, yeah it kinda does. it covers for the Ptolemies and makes them look like native rulers, and also denies someone like Queen Amanirenas a time to shine. She actually fought the Romans at the same time as Cleopatra and won.

ah yes the accountant's take on movies, totally legit criticism

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah but it's a really good way to avoid having to discuss the colonisation of egypt in any detail.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

macedonia? I barely know 'er!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/web3muse/status/1646569132249284610

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
given ptolemaic marriage customs i think the chance of cleopatra being mixed race is kinda slim

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

ptolemaics refused to learn Egyptian but immediately started loving their sisters

what strange priorities for native customs to adopt

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

FrancisFukyomama posted:

ptolemaics refused to learn Egyptian but immediately started loving their sisters

tbf the greeks were all huge perverts

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Greeks already had customs for forcing women to marry blood relatives.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Animal-Mother posted:

Jesus was a real guy but, controversially, he was actually Jewish.

the only thing that can be said with certainty of the historical yeshua ben yoseph is that he was annoying

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kara boga posting will be real.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

As an atheist I think it's dumb to try and disprove a historical Jesus. Just the existence of the be religion itself is enough evidence that some dude was going around causing trouble in 33CE Judea.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

As an atheist I think it's dumb to try and disprove a historical Jesus. Just the existence of the be religion itself is enough evidence that some dude was going around causing trouble in 33CE Judea.
I feel like the core issue is the conflation of historical Jesus with Biblical Jesus. Like, philosophically, does it even make sense to talk about a "historical Jesus", when the whole idea of Jesus is centered around a supernatural entity?

Now if you wanted to disprove the existence of Yeshua, annoyance to Romans, that's another thing entirely.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's the sort of thing where the stakes are not really 1 to 1.

If you are a certain type of literalist Christian, then proof of a historical Jesus is incredibly important. If somebody can definitively disprove historical Jesus that's terrifying, and puts you in a position of possibly disavowing history. And in the process of convincing people of the rightness of your position, its direly important that Jesus be a definitive historical person who literally lived and died.

If you're already an atheist who just doesn't think that its a virtue to worship a supernatural power, the whole question feels silly. There's basically no stakes. "There was a Jewish guy who made a cult about trying to be nice to poor people." Sure, why the gently caress not. It doesn't mean that he revived the dead or fed thousands with just one basket of fish or whatever. It's not like the Korean-Finnish Hyperwar or something where if its true or not implies other things about history. Any economic system that has an urban underclass will be a breeding ground for these kind of cults, and Jesus was just one of many. He stands out because his cult "won" (for a very weird notion of "winning").

So there's a very small group of people for whom its very high stakes in part of their fight against atheism (and Christians who are just less literalist), and the people they're fighting against don't actually care. It's not a symmetric war.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's a pretty rare Christian who would be unbothered if it were to be proven that Jesus didn't exist. Fortunately it's pretty much impossible to prove that someone didn't exist, and with the Bible and a handful of other sources, Jesus is about as well documented as any non-monarch of his era.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

pidan posted:

It's a pretty rare Christian who would be unbothered if it were to be proven that Jesus didn't exist. Fortunately it's pretty much impossible to prove that someone didn't exist, and with the Bible and a handful of other sources, Jesus is about as well documented as any non-monarch of his era.

This is how I've encountered most Christians I know (Catholics, some mainline protestants). Its incredibly hard to disprove that a person lived thousands of years ago, and that's good enough. There's a few people who need much stronger proof than that and its out of what I'd consider an obsessive literalism.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like the core issue is the conflation of historical Jesus with Biblical Jesus. Like, philosophically, does it even make sense to talk about a "historical Jesus", when the whole idea of Jesus is centered around a supernatural entity?

Now if you wanted to disprove the existence of Yeshua, annoyance to Romans, that's another thing entirely.

It is worth pointing out that the phrase "Historical Jesus" is specifically used, at least within scholarship, as a differentiator with Jesus as presented in the biblical text and within the proto-Christian texts that didn't make it into the New Testament canon. The phrase comes from a foundational text of that section of biblical scholarship, The Quest of the Historical Jesus by Albert Schweitzer, written in 1906. It carries with it the implication that when one is discussing the "Historical Jesus" that one is specifically not taking the biblical text at face value and is instead trying to get at what the human Jesus actually believed and preached, not just looking at what was recorded in the Gospels, as none of them were written by someone who had actually met Jesus.

As for whether it makes sense philosophically to talk about, trying to more accurately understand Jesus' message is a huge issue within modern theology, though depending on the individual scholar's views on biblical inerrancy, the need to look outside the Bible or read the Bible through a historical-critical lens may or may not be necessary. And that's all it is, really, an extension of using the historical critical method to examine the life of Jesus but because getting at what, exactly, Jesus taught is so critical theologically, it has its own devoted area within theological scholarship.

I'll again plug Bart D. Ehrman for this. He's one of the most well known scholars writing on the topic and is very publicly agnostic / atheist (he claims both descriptors for very wordy academic reasons). If anyone wants a good primer, Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium by him is an excellent starting place.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Azathoth posted:

It is worth pointing out that the phrase "Historical Jesus" is specifically used, at least within scholarship, as a differentiator with Jesus as presented in the biblical text and within the proto-Christian texts that didn't make it into the New Testament canon. The phrase comes from a foundational text of that section of biblical scholarship, The Quest of the Historical Jesus by Albert Schweitzer, written in 1906. It carries with it the implication that when one is discussing the "Historical Jesus" that one is specifically not taking the biblical text at face value and is instead trying to get at what the human Jesus actually believed and preached, not just looking at what was recorded in the Gospels, as none of them were written by someone who had actually met Jesus.

As for whether it makes sense philosophically to talk about, trying to more accurately understand Jesus' message is a huge issue within modern theology, though depending on the individual scholar's views on biblical inerrancy, the need to look outside the Bible or read the Bible through a historical-critical lens may or may not be necessary. And that's all it is, really, an extension of using the historical critical method to examine the life of Jesus but because getting at what, exactly, Jesus taught is so critical theologically, it has its own devoted area within theological scholarship.
I mean, I get this, I just think it's a philosophically suspect position to take. When you talk about Historical Jesus you're not actually just talking about him, because the name Jesus has belonged to a fictionalized version for like two millennia. Which seems to be supported by the fact that apparently a lot of the people who care about Historical Jesus do so from a theological position.

Azathoth posted:

I'll again plug Bart D. Ehrman for this. He's one of the most well known scholars writing on the topic and is very publicly agnostic / atheist (he claims both descriptors for very wordy academic reasons). If anyone wants a good primer, Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium by him is an excellent starting place.
Wordy academic reasons? Not just the simple fact that agnostic and atheist are positions on two different spectra, rather than agnostic being just a less extreme atheist as it is often used in general parlance? Most honest atheists are probably agnostic atheists.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

really concerned about someone who may or may not have existed and who died 2000 years ago and left nothing by their own hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, I get this, I just think it's a philosophically suspect position to take. When you talk about Historical Jesus you're not actually just talking about him, because the name Jesus has belonged to a fictionalized version for like two millennia. Which seems to be supported by the fact that apparently a lot of the people who care about Historical Jesus do so from a theological position.

Wordy academic reasons? Not just the simple fact that agnostic and atheist are positions on two different spectra, rather than agnostic being just a less extreme atheist as it is often used in general parlance? Most honest atheists are probably agnostic atheists.

Yeah, he is by common definition an atheist in that he believes in no higher power or being. He claims agnostic because while he does not himself believe in a higher power, he accepts that he cannot know with any certainty that a higher power does not exist. That is, there is no mathematical or philosophical logically rigorous proof that conclusively proves there is no higher power and thus refers to himself as agnostic as well because of that lack of uncertainty. Please don't try to debate this with me, by the way, I'm just relaying what I remember reading and I'm sure I'm not giving all the nuance you'd get if you asked him.