Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Look man I've seen Hitler before.

turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Shrek’s hog is GORJ

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nuclear Spoon posted:

meanwhile i am in the 26% it looks like

53%, a record turnout for Unison health care members. Meanwhile the other unions are getting 70%+ turnout every time. They're so loving useless.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
worth mentioning that every single unison correspondence about this was like "YOU SHOULD VOTE YES OR YOU WON'T GET poo poo". fully putting their whole elbow on the scales.

absolutely nothing out of christine mcenea or sara gorton inspires the slightest bit of confidence

thanks for the monthly leaflets about loving bingo and travel insurance or whatever though

i wish i'd never agreed to be communications officer for my branch because any help i get from higher up feels like doing PR for the union rather than actually trying to loving mobilise people

we have monthly meetings where we only get about half about the 12-strong committee and maybe a couple of non-committee members if we're lucky. we have about 500 members in our trust. the AGM wasn't much different. everyone's dog loving tired and too swamped with their own jobs to do any meaningful organising. i come up with ideas for trying to do outreach and get barely any acknowledgement.

i don't know what to do man. thinking of flaming out with an email after the NEC elections depending on how they go.

anyway here's the unison health tweet with unsurprising replies and QTs

https://twitter.com/UNISONOurNHS/status/1646895082841460737

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 14, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think I'll quit Unison over the weekend.
The leadership give the impression that their entire ambition is to be lickspittles for the government. Utterly worthless.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
just seen that GMB and Unite are running their consultations until 28th April lol

unison's argument was they wanted to take the result to their health conference so i hope people kick up a real loving stink there

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Nuclear Spoon posted:

worth mentioning that every single unison correspondence about this was like "YOU SHOULD VOTE YES OR YOU WON'T GET poo poo". fully putting their whole elbow on the scales.

absolutely nothing out of christine mcenea or sara gorton inspires the slightest bit of confidence

thanks for the monthly leaflets about loving bingo and travel insurance or whatever though

i wish i'd never agreed to be communications officer for my branch because any help i get from higher up feels like doing PR for the union rather than actually trying to loving mobilise people

we have monthly meetings where we only get about half about the 12-strong committee and maybe a couple of non-committee members if we're lucky. we have about 500 members in our trust. the AGM wasn't much different. everyone's dog loving tired and too swamped with their own jobs to do any meaningful organising. i come up with ideas for trying to do outreach and get barely any acknowledgement.

i don't know what to do man. thinking of flaming out with an email after the NEC elections depending on how they go.

anyway here's the unison health tweet with unsurprising replies and QTs

https://twitter.com/UNISONOurNHS/status/1646895082841460737

Hey fellow unison comms officer. If it makes you feel any better I'm in a branch with 2500 members, 250 workplaces and a committee of 6 with 20 reps, 2 of which attend branch meetings so if I can make any headway so can you!

My attitude to comms is pretty much entirely foregoing whatever information national and most of regional want you to tell members unless you want to tell it to them, comms is about building solidarity and a sense of support and cohesion between your branch while occasionally supporting a national broadcast when it agrees with you. Comms officer is getting to know the members and reps that are doing good union work and blasting that out at maximum volumn to the entire branch. My branch hasn't even put out a newsletter in two years but as comms officers I'm chasing up our agreed publication policy with our employers about what noticeboard space we're allowed to have on all sites and have got a couple of items about strike action by other unions at our trust, solidarity payments to other strike funds and international worker conference reports which a member decided to do to themselves to send out to all members and get posted on those boards. It's less than I would hope but there needs to be some level of output that you control as an officer, is relevant to the reader and encouraging them to look to UNISON to get them something they either support or need. Once I've got all these newsletters printed and displayed then I'm hoping for a system of interest to build around it - you're right that no one has the time to actually step up but that's why you need to find ways to get involved with what's already happening and then coax that into a healthier union environment where enough people are carrying the load and talking to each other to build a culture of militancy.

If your branch is cash rich and time poor then look into the branch support and organiser fund https://www.unison.org.uk/the-new-branch-support-and-organising-fund/ which means a regional office will pay for a fixed term organiser to come in and do some sort of structuring work. Currently I'm working with my branch to get a BSOF request as part of a larger development project so I'm learning how it'll go and fingers crossed we get someone able to really chip in.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
How do pay disputes work with multiple unions? If only Unison accept the payrise but others don't? . These are national negotiations so I can't see how the government could say 'pay Unison members 4% more and let's ignore the rest'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Shleeable/status/1646893041159135232
Not much, what's wankdog with you?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/protanorak/status/1646981575597256704?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

:stare:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sad Panda posted:

How do pay disputes work with multiple unions? If only Unison accept the payrise but others don't? . These are national negotiations so I can't see how the government could say 'pay Unison members 4% more and let's ignore the rest'.

It's all any argument about agenda for change (AfC) terms so any union complaining about their pay is actually arguing for the whole AfC program unless the RCN accept that nurses aren't on AfC any longer and so split our collective strength as the government has tried to do. AfC covers about a dozen unions which we've not co-ordinated so that's why UNISON failed but RCN and Physios and a few others did go out on strike because we're all in it together but organising seperately which is a disaster.

Basically it's a question of are the militant sectors going to be bought off by giving nurses their own pay banding, is there going to be a major upswell in general discontent which forces an overall shift in government policy led by the active unions and hopefully engaged with the poo poo unions or are all the unions going to be crushed because there's no collective strategy for how we can all win.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sir Keirfrey Epstarmer

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Remember this?

https://twitter.com/SickSide3/status/1646856952750776320?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

JA as you are a beloved member of this thread, I must ask why you posted something like this at 2 AM. Are you trying to give me a rage-induced stroke?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

JA as you are a beloved member of this thread, I must ask why you posted something like this at 2 AM. Are you trying to give me a rage-induced stroke?

I'm sorry - I thought it as funny when a chorus of 'oh Jeremy Corbyn' struck up against the Evil Evans. I didn't mean to give you a stroke.

I'm normally the only poster at 2am until the early birds start again around 5am.

Why are you up? Can't sleep? I'm just off to bed. I didn't have a nanna nap today so I'm a bit sleepy now. And I finished my book so I've got to find another one suitable for reading in bed - usually an Agatha Christie - I've read them all about 900 times each so it doesn't matter if I fall asleep after a paragraph or two. And they're light on the wrists.

I met a comrade for a couple of hours today for coffee and he has finally decided to quit the party after finally accepting that there is no way to 'stay & fight & change it from within'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh sorry for the slow reply I went to watch a ragebait youtube video because I'm nothing if not playable.

I'm up because it's Friday (well now Saturday) and I'm insomniac so if I can't sleep I might as well slam my face with photons of forum posts or youtube videos making me furious.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I'm with Prospect - the government came back with this years pay offer - 4.5% and no bonus (Because gently caress anyone not in the NHS) - The same email announcing this also announced two new strike dates.
It also said this is the biggest pay rise the government has offered since they got in, but it only looks good compared to that!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am often also up during the night I just don't post during it usually.
E: and I know Grey seems to always be up early because he posts his LPs at 5 in the morning or something.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I am often also up during the night I just don't post during it usually.
E: and I know Grey seems to always be up early because he posts his LPs at 5 in the morning or something.

I'm one of those bastards who walkes up bright as a button at 4 am, then I get a couple of hours on my computer before the other two wake up and I have to do horrible things like go to work.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm with Prospect - the government came back with this years pay offer - 4.5% and no bonus (Because gently caress anyone not in the NHS) - The same email announcing this also announced two new strike dates.
It also said this is the biggest pay rise the government has offered since they got in, but it only looks good compared to that!

My work is refusing to go above 3% for its unionised staff, but then made a big song and dance about giving the subcontract staff & casuals 5.5% lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm one of those bastards who walkes up bright as a button at 4 am, then I get a couple of hours on my computer before the other two wake up and I have to do horrible things like go to work.

It is a nice time to wake up, just wish I could do it consistently. Also ideally if it didn't mean I had to go to sleep at like 8 in the evening.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grey Hunter posted:

4am is the worst time. 3am is the night before, and 5am is an early morning, but 4am is both too late to stay up for, and too early to get out of bed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Scientastic posted:

4am is the worst time. 3am is the night before, and 5am is an early morning, but 4am is both too late to stay up for, and too early to get out of bed.

It's my time, I am the only prson up and running. I rule the world.
(Timezones not inclusive)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/foxbenbath/status/1646909141934301191

:guillotine:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/15/uk-families-threats-police-warnings-children-playing-in-street

What a great country we are. Pretty sure half the people calling the police on families who let their kids play outside are going to be posting boomer memes asking why kids don't play outside any more too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I'm public sector and Unison are my union. Around 2011 they were in negotiations over a pay freeze. We got offered a pittance - 1.5% over three years - and Unison turned it down. This would not be a bad thing normally, except that their stated reason was "we negotiated an 8% rise with [private sector company that I forget] last year and we can do the same here". Never mind that the public sector is not the private sector, or that our budget had just received the second largest cuts of any local authority in the entire UK so even the 1.5% was an olive branch. And so it came to pass that we got nothing, and our pay was frozen for almost a decade because Unison are so loving stupid and bad.

Oct 4, 2005

Does anyone else use "nextdoor"?

I joined mine because I thought it would be funny, but its devolved into mad conspiracy theories and right wing propaganda.

15 minute cities, covid vaccines, 5G etc

This morning someone posted a 30 minute video on "Boris Johnson's great reset", its a depressing sight. Watching old people fall down a rabbit hole of conspiracy nonsense because the world is changing and they don't like it.

Video in question: (spoiler, its as bad as you'd think it is)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWkepoLUZfs

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

1965917 posted:

I joined mine because I thought it would be funny, but its devolved into mad conspiracy theories and right wing propaganda.

This morning someone posted a 30 minute video on "Boris Johnson's great reset", its a depressing sight. Watching old people fall down a rabbit hole of conspiracy nonsense because the world is changing and they don't like it.

Nextdoor is a favourite for curtain twitching Facebook boomers who get scared if a black teenager is seen outside their house

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

1965917 posted:

I did for a little while, and then I realised I didn't give a poo poo about what the other people were saying, thinking or doing in my surrounding area.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m actually friendly with a few neighbours and they all seem like nice chill people. I’m afraid if I ever used Nextdoor I’d uncover that they’re the exception and I’m surrounded by freaks, but my building is full of stoners, immigrants and young people so maybe not.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

1965917 posted:

I thought it was pretty good.

A man who spends all his time consuming utter shite on the internet instead of sharing the housework with his wife or improving his community ends up bitter and alone and ranting about the bin collection.

As silents and older boomers would have been quick to remind him, "those houses are nicer than anything we had."

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I only occasionally pop on to Nextdoor but it seems pretty harmless in my area - just reports of lost/found pets, requests for handymen and items for sale.

I know the media in this country is London-centric but it seems to have extended to the weather forecast too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

1965917 posted:

It's loving hilarious.
Especially the 'World Economic Forum' guy flashing up lizard eyes for a second.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My area just implemented a load of LTNs so what was once a fairly benign Nextdoor has exploded into frothing insanity

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I keep getting invites in the post to join our local Nextdoor, but it verifies it with your google account and my google account doesn't have my full name on it (I come from the older paranoid, "don't give anyone your real name or address" generation), so they won't let me in. Probably a good thing, I'm fairly sure there's more than a few nutcases round here.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I keep getting invites in the post to join our local Nextdoor, but it verifies it with your google account and my google account doesn't have my full name on it (I come from the older paranoid, "don't give anyone your real name or address" generation), so they won't let me in. Probably a good thing, I'm fairly sure there's more than a few nutcases round here.

Ditto on the email names.

It's not paranoid if it's true. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

It's loving hilarious.
Especially the 'World Economic Forum' guy flashing up lizard eyes for a second.
Those apartments look pretty decent by the standards of like the London homes of tomorrow projects or many others that goddamnedtwisto (PBUH) could tell us about

And they all have regular bin collection (more regular than you'd expect given the size of those apartments, what's going on there?) and clean water and electricity and regular food deliveries. That's far from what I think of when I think oppression/domination/failed state.

Lack of fresh air, exercise, and socialization, those are real concerns, but these same people hate those little metal outside gyms that pop up everywhere with a burning passion, and he ruined his own socialization by being a oval office and going on long Alex Jones rants instead of cooking a meal for his wife/partner once in a while.

He doesn't seem to care much about any of that though, his main problems are not being able to watch the Gen X films he's built his identity on, not having enough money (sorry, spooky bank credits) to rent the consumer lifestyle goods being marketed to him, not getting consumer choice over his brand of soft drink, and having to put a mask over his nose. Hardly Robben Island.

It's an informative look at the actual fears and motives of these people though.

Microplastics posted:

My area just implemented a load of LTNs so what was once a fairly benign Nextdoor has exploded into frothing insanity
Lizard Trans Nexus

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was playing workers and resources soviet republic recently and somebody made a set of apartment buildings based off french futurism and they're hella sick.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2919211791

The guy who designed them actually got a small prototype built in paris but they stopped because his unreasonable demands like "everyone should have light and air" were interfering with making the buildings commercially viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

1965917 posted:

I guess I must have gotten lucky with the street I live on, because all I get from Nextdoor is mums trying to sell their DVD collections

Now local neighbourhood Facebook groups, on the other hand… that’s where the REAL drama takes place :munch: