Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Shiroc posted:

Oracle games were the dream that Link had after the dream of the Wind Fish. That's why it had a punching kangaroo and a bear with tiny wings.

but no Kirby enemies or Prince Richard cameos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

but no Kirby enemies or Prince Richard cameos

yeah because its Link's dream this time

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

For all the care about zelda lore it's still genuinely really funny that Kirby has a more easy to understand timeline with far more direct connections main game to main game

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wonder why its called legend of zelda, hmm.

It's common to translate game titles into local languages. It probably wouldn't have sold as well if they kept the original title, Zelda no Densetsu.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Wonder why its called legend of zelda, hmm.

it's worked out for them op

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
If it was the Legend of Link the games would star somebody else.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
they couldn't call it the Legend of Link because you could change his name in most of the games. but that's just a theory: a game theory

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

you could name the protagonist "Nutsack" in Final Fantasy VII but that didn't stop them from calling him "Cloud" in later games

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Tee dus.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Speaking of that guy, they refused to say Tidus's name in X or X-2 because you can rename him. It was very awkward.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just Andi Now posted:

Speaking of that guy, they refused to say Tidus's name in X or X-2 because you can rename him. It was very awkward.

But consistent. You can rename all the summons in X.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I still support the fringe theory that all Links are the exact same person living one immortal life and endless adventure

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
In this game you have to recharge the sheikah slate's battery with your USB cable.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There is a Zelda timeline but the ones Nintendo has published are wrong. Hell, they've even changed their minds about it between the Hyrule Historia and the Zelda Encyclopedia (Oracle games got moved and declared to star a different Link entirely).

Only the content of the games can be considered in the construction of a timeline.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Khanstant posted:

I still support the fringe theory that all Links are the exact same person living one immortal life and endless adventure

when I was a teenager I saw some Flash animation that referred to Link as "the infinite hero" and that was the coolest loving thing in the universe

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Khanstant posted:

I want Ganondorf to come back only to have an existential crisis that he's going to be killed by Link again, and just wants to die for good.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Just Andi Now posted:

What was weirder was the English translation had to have the exact same length voice lines as the Japanese version else the game broke.

Same length as in if the Japanese line took five seconds then so did the English.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They could obviously include silence in each voice line in ffx but they had to make a lot of compromises in scriptwriting and voice direction

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

They could obviously include silence in each voice line in ffx but they had to make a lot of compromises in scriptwriting and voice direction

yeah it was fine for longer sentences, but the short ones suffered the most. Yuna's lightning-fast "yes" (and I think it's the same clip every time she says it) is one example

it was a cool era of gaming, just a bunch of creators inventing modern gaming with the most janky-rear end and fragile tools available to them

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Mustached Demon posted:

What was weirder was the English translation had to have the exact same length voice lines as the Japanese version else the game broke.

Same length as in if the Japanese line took five seconds then so did the English.

As observant Muslims learn classical Arabic to read the Qu'ran in its original language as revealed by Allah, so too must we study Japanese.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

There is a Zelda timeline but the ones Nintendo has published are wrong. Hell, they've even changed their minds about it between the Hyrule Historia and the Zelda Encyclopedia (Oracle games got moved and declared to star a different Link entirely).

Only the content of the games can be considered in the construction of a timeline.

History books and encyclopedias are famously updated as new theories, research, info, etc is learned. No reason fictional historians can't also make new discoveries to better contextualize what evidence of the past they have.

The games are legends, the worlds they present exist for the hero of the fable, to tell that story around a campfire they don't need a dry account of their history.

Although if they wanna make a 4X Hyrule game, I'm down. I will lead the United Gerudo in retaking Hyrule Field and Castle.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Antonymous posted:

the zeltik guy calls the gachapon 'pachinko machines'

and says the thing that's clearly a kanji is 'a kanji like character'. it says 'time' 時

The kanji on Zelda’s “tear” is the same as the one for Link’s Rewind power isn’t it?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I just looked and yeah, the top half of the same character. The tears probably make a yin/yang type shape with two halves.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

RatHat posted:

The kanji on Zelda’s “tear” is the same as the one for Link’s Rewind power isn’t it?
For visual reference

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

this is the seal script for the word meaning 'time' which is obviously where the font for these powers is derived from

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Theorycrafting is very cool and fun imo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

can't wait to rip ganon's tear out of his forehead for a new power

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Is the sheikah slate gone? In gonna miss the camera

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

WarpDogs posted:

yeah it was fine for longer sentences, but the short ones suffered the most. Yuna's lightning-fast "yes" (and I think it's the same clip every time she says it) is one example

it was a cool era of gaming, just a bunch of creators inventing modern gaming with the most janky-rear end and fragile tools available to them

SNES designers were miracle workers in getting a functional product, especially towards the end. We still got some hilarious bugs like the fall through the floor glitch in lttp. You can actually trigger the beat the game flag with it if I remember right.

Then the PS2 era was a lot of experimentation in seeing how all these new toys, like voice acting and modernish cutscenes, play well with hardware limitations.

Nowadays, though, game size might as well be limitless. Tricky part now is just making a finished product before the ridiculous deadline a bunch of suits decided on years prior.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Is the sheikah slate gone? In gonna miss the camera

Link's holding one in the scene in the trailer where he's riding up an elevator. I'm sure the camera is still in but I bet the other runes, aside from amiibo, are not

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's a new design that's meant to represent a Switch rather than a Wii U tablet.
As Evil Eagle says, it's likely to have the Camera rune, but probably none of the gameplay abilities from the first game, since we have the new suite to work with and they probably didn't want players doing Stasis/Magnesis tricks instead of gluing vehicles together with Ultrahand.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I don’t mind the lore and timeline stuff but at some point it gets too complicated and I just hope that Nintendo doesn’t limit itself in game development cause the new thing has to fit in somewhere between all the old things.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

My theory is that there will be 7 sages like in the A Link to the Past backstory / Ocarina of Time. In both games they are the ones who sealed Ganondorf, and twilight princess also. Originally in Ocarina each sage was going to give link a magic medallion to use, and in the final game the medallions of the sages look like the medallions you use to cast magic in A Link to the Past. Now they are tears instead.

In ocarina of time the 7 sages' elements were Light, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, Spirit and presumably Zelda's was Time. The races were Hylian, Kokiri, Goron, Zora, Sheikah, Gerudo and Zelda. Zelda is hylian so that is doubled up.

We already saw in the new trailer that Zelda has a tear, and so does a zora, gerudo. Probably forest will become wind (forest and wind were always interchangable - ocarina and wind waker mixes them too) and the race will be Rito instead of korok/kokiri. The Rito character has a green gem, green is forest/wind like those other games. That mysterious creature with a dragon face in the trailer which has a white tear will be light. If you saw the leaked artbook it's a big hint that this is right. We know that zelda's tear says 'time' so that's a good match to her presumed element as well. Ganondorf has the red one and we haven't yet seen the goron hero even though the four champions of breath of the wild/the third trailer implies there will be one.

I think you will be accompanied by each sage through their temple to 'awaken' them. Ocarina had Ruto, Zelda 'accompany' you in dungeons. We saw two examples of the tear holders fighting alongside Link in the trailer.

Like Ocarina and A Link to the Past, we need to save Zelda at the end because we need all seven sages. Of course they won't reuse this to the letter, they will add some twist on top. In wind waker you only awaken two sages and that's good enough.

Antonymous fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 15, 2023

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Khanstant posted:

If two people want to discuss the Zelda timeline, a third person will show up to tell you how dumb they think that is.

So 3 timelines

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Dictator. posted:

I don’t mind the lore and timeline stuff but at some point it gets too complicated and I just hope that Nintendo doesn’t limit itself in game development cause the new thing has to fit in somewhere between all the old things.

Honestly I think it works the other way around. Nintendo comes up with the central gimmick for the game then picks a spot in the timeline so they can use that to inform the story and details, and they aren't really opposed to retconning either.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
And as much as I love the timeline and think it's a free value add I can't imagine a scenario where Nintendo overruling Zelda concepts because of timeline concerns. I can see them being like, no, can't play as Zelda gently caress you for asking again, or no, Link cannot be a centaur or ever wear pearl snaps. Can't see them ever bringing up the timeline as a reason they can't do this or that dungeon, item, setting, or gimmick. It's a fun tertiary thing, natural consequence of building worlds and experiences people cherish and they can make whatever game they want and have it for in after the fact one way or the other.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Having replayed FFX recently, it's really remarkable how good its English voice-acting is for the era, especially given the issues like you describe. Most of the characters are very accurate reproductions of their Japanese voices, and the ones that aren't (namely Auron) are still good in a different way. Yuna and Tidus in particular are pretty much perfectly cast.

People post the laughing scene as an example of "bad old voice-acting," but that's because they completely misunderstand the scene. It's supposed to sound goofy and forced! The original Japanese version of the scene is very similar.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

WarpDogs posted:

they couldn't call it the Legend of Link because you could change his name in most of the games. but that's just a theory: a game theory

“The Legend of Fagballs” doesn’t quite have the same panache, I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

as someone who spent time in the Gamefaqs forums arguing about the Zelda timeline in my youth the reveal of a third timeline was absolutely vindicating