Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

alf_pogs posted:

when he could have been implementing a hilarious may may

I actually knew someone who pronounced it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Who do you think got wrecked worse by his idiotic Twitter buy?
Twitter or Elmo himself?

Definitely twitter, there were already clues that Elmo was a huge moron and the truth would come out sooner or later but twitter could have been a solid business eventually and he’s pretty much wrecked it completely

Or to put it another way, I liked twitter before he got his hands on it. I already didn’t like ol musky

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

TotalLossBrain posted:

Who do you think got wrecked worse by his idiotic Twitter buy?
Twitter or Elmo himself?

Twitter might have been doomed already, it was never profitable until around 2018-2019 and became stagnant again shortly after. It's a popular site but not one that has any direct mechanism for generating revenue outside of advertising, Musk flailing and trying to implement them with his own dumbass ideas certainly isn't going to turn things around.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Slo-Tek posted:

Pretty sure you have conflated several differently repellant idiots into one.

Ian Miles Cheong is the malaysian weirdo with the ants.

Catturd is the 60 year old goatee florida man.

I have placed many ants into my old man goatee, and I love you Elon. I have bad opinions I need to share. Look at meeeee

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 15, 2023

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What's funny is that he could've done everything he wanted to do, fire everyone, loosen rules and add nonsense but he decided to flame out so publicly instead of quietly taking steps to prove his business acumen. It was probably very possible to make Twitter profitable but Elon did the exact opposite of anything anyone would advise and it'd be really quite amusing if he weren't so goddamned cringey.

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 15, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Prettz posted:

Is that even true, though? BBC is pretty fuckin awful.

You kidding? I keep saying, especially in the 2004/Iraq War era context, BBC as far as American conservatives are concerned is equivalent to citing 1920s Pravda.

Quote a BBC article and you might as well be reciting unedited Marx

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ELON MUSK COMES FOR THE SNEETCHES

I found this somewhat entertaining

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I want to be one of those fawning reply guys. What a life. Not for Elon musk tho obviously. Maybe for a newborn baby.

Excellent cry, sir!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jelly posted:

Has anyone explained why Musk is so cucked by non-American pedophile catturd2? I can't begin to understand it. He has no value as a human being. There is nothing to gain and plenty to lose. I understand Musk is an absolute moron who doesn't do things that make sense but you can almost always have some understanding of why he thinks it makes sense. I'm drawing a blank here.

Despite admitted inaccuracies I think can answer why Musk likes Catturd so much

It's because Musk's sense of humour is so profoundly baseline and undeveloped that Catturd's incredibly lame and godawful posting resonates with him hard. He's a rightwing posting icon because he's a gigantic loving boomer, and Musk is literally incapable of articulating himself beyond the most basic of basic "thing bad, people mad!" poo poo the right calls hard hitting jokes.

Actual well crafted humour generally requires some level of thought on the side of the observer to be worth it, I'm not exactly talking brain busting neural activity but the ability to read a layup and wait for a payoff and Musk simply fails at this entirely. He is profoundly stupid and for this reason Catturd might as well be Oscar fuckin Wilde

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Catturd is like the archetype of all the sad zeros that he wants to be popular with. He's like a middle school bully where they sometimes seek the approval and companionship of other broken assholes. Musk sees himself in Catturd.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Tarkus posted:

Catturd is like the archetype of all the sad zeros that he wants to be popular with. He's like a middle school bully where they sometimes seek the approval and companionship of other broken assholes. Musk sees himself in Catturd.
Not to over-simplify but Elon Musk yearns for a daddy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Imagine being the world's richest man and envying somebody

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This is why Musk will never hire a writer. He wants all the adoration to be based on what he perceives as his own merit, but he lacks any imagination so he just yes ands or rips off other people uncredited. If he had someone to ghost write for him he'd quickly get jealous and fire them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

If I recall Parler is Co owned by the husband of candace owens and they were trying to get Kanye to purchase it via a trade sale, but Kanye went off his meds so hard that he went "all Jews must die" on Alex Jones and the sale got called off

lol you're still making them look good

kanye called it off lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
imagine having the brain to think that Gab isnt antiSemitic enough, and then months later watching one of Johan Hill more avg. movies and saying you (typo) forgive Da Jews.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 15, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PhazonLink posted:

imagine having the brain to think that Gab isnt antiSemitic enough, and then months later watching one of Johan Hill more avg. movies and saying you give Da Jews.

what was he gonna give them tho you can't trust him

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Alan Smithee posted:

lol you're still making them look good

kanye called it off lol

Lmao I stand corrected

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

shyduck posted:

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1644101851439136769?t=n58ZVzzE-_vvkuKiDIfJlA&s=19

This digital advertising conference starts the same day as the interview lmao

This isn't good. Nothing is certain and everything right now is just weird and hosed so maybe I'm talking out of my rear end but the article has people openly talking about how much Musk sucks, however they are willing to let him plead his case. Which... why? At this point it's clear he's a loving idiot and after how badly his idiot decisions have burned some brands why would anyone think they aren't next?

It just makes me think they are really looking for any excuse to bring their advertising back to Twitter, and it only takes a few major ones to potentially give advertisers confidence in Twitter again. Musk also seems to have the ability to never get fact checked when he's speaking in person or get any amount of push back. I think this is mainly because Neo Libs NEED Musk to be who he claims to be, because if he isn't then what the gently caress are they? He's a con man but so to are the rest of them, when it comes to it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/NWS_NTWC/status/1647040102475128832

Ah, well

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well maybe if they cough up $10k a month or whatever for the corporate sub they could get 5 automated alerts included

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Does stimpire.txt fit the 10k character limit? Because you should do it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

thin blue whine posted:

It just makes me think they are really looking for any excuse to bring their advertising back to Twitter, and it only takes a few major ones to potentially give advertisers confidence in Twitter again.

I've long suspected (as I'm sure many do) that the vast majority of people either don't care or won't change their habits regarding brands who advertise next to lovely content. The only saving grace was that corporations didn't want to risk harming their brands and this in turn provided an incentive for a lot of platforms to at least make a minimal effort to moderate in order to appease advertisers. At least to boot mask of nazis and what not.

I have a very bad feeling that the big corps are going to come back to Twitter and then everyone is going to realize that it actually doesn't really matter much at all where you advertise and how vile the content next to your ad might be vs not advertising at all, and the Internet will get a whole lot worse once social media companies realize that moderation has no effect on their bottom line.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
You must pay to tell people about tsunamis, this is normal human behavior. Also I live inland on a hill, why do you ask?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Elon Musk doesn't yes-and. Yes-and implies building on what he agreed with to develop it more as his own spin or extension of the original statement.

All Elon can ever do is parrot back the original statement and try to hope people believe he came up with it first because he's a talentless idiot.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've long suspected (as I'm sure many do) that the vast majority of people either don't care or won't change their habits regarding brands who advertise next to lovely content. The only saving grace was that corporations didn't want to risk harming their brands and this in turn provided an incentive for a lot of platforms to at least make a minimal effort to moderate in order to appease advertisers. At least to boot mask of nazis and what not.

I have a very bad feeling that the big corps are going to come back to Twitter and then everyone is going to realize that it actually doesn't really matter much at all where you advertise and how vile the content next to your ad might be vs not advertising at all, and the Internet will get a whole lot worse once social media companies realize that moderation has no effect on their bottom line.

They can't even do that because the people they'd engage with to set up advertisement buys are just plain gone at Twitter. There's no money in the company, Elon's buried in scandal after scandal, and the userbase has been decreasing since the takeover. It's just a plain bad investment.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 15, 2023

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Elon's yes-and is copy-crop

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They can't even do that because the people they'd engage with to set up advertisement buys are just plain gone at Twitter. There's no money in the company, Elon's buried in scandal after scandal, and the userbase has been decreasing since the takeover. It's just a plain bad investment.

I'm not sure that's true. All it really does is make Musk/Twitter more desperate and puts advertisers in a better position to haggle down their price which I can imagine is possibly enticement enough to come back for at least some of them. At the end of the day it's all about getting as many eyes on your product as possible and as diminished as Twitter is, it still has millions of users. It feels a little like advertisers didn't so much jump ship, but temporarily withdrew to see which way the wind would blow.

All of this is presupposing, as mentioned before, that they decide to say "gently caress it" and chance advertising next to vile poo poo. I think at least some of the big boys will probably chance it.

But I hope you're right.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Maybe they could try making their Tsunami alerts work-safe? :rolleyes: :(

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Honestly I think the question just becomes “why risk it”. There are other places to spend your limited advertising dollars, why take the risk on this extremely volatile platform run by an rear end in a top hat you hate.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Talorat posted:

Honestly I think the question just becomes “why risk it”. There are other places to spend your limited advertising dollars, why take the risk on this extremely volatile platform run by an rear end in a top hat you hate.

:capitalism:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

Maybe they could try making their Tsunami alerts work-safe? :rolleyes: :(

it's all this woke weather, you just can't trust the forecasts any more

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

how did advertizing work on twitter in the first place? I used twitter but I dont even remember ads apart from brands trying to coolpost or the fort bragg account posting about his nose in some camgirls pubes

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Unlucky7 posted:

Yum yum daddy Elon puke those crusty memes into my mouth

Why are “meme culture” bros the most boring motherfuckers

probably because memes are just other people's jokes repeated over and over. sponge-y weirdos only get along with other sponge-y weirdos, I think.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Renreeja posted:

how did advertizing work on twitter in the first place? I used twitter but I dont even remember ads apart from brands trying to coolpost or the fort bragg account posting about his nose in some camgirls pubes

There are paid promotional tweets, but on desktop things like Ublock Origin handily squash them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Renreeja posted:

If you had blockers set up properly or used the right app you never saw it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Remember when Musk got booed by a crowd lame enough to pay to see Dave Chapelle and his knee jerk reaction was to scream “I’m rich, bitch!”?

That’s Musk, and, at length, the right wing sphere in a nutshell: net worth equals societal worth.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

kazil posted:

and that will make Grimes love him again?

It is 2029. Elon Musk sets his new AI super-computer to the task of computing an answer to the ultimate question, which is: how do I make Grimes love me again? The supercomputer agrees, but there is a catch: the calculation will take 10,000 years to run. With a heavy heart, Musk agrees, and the computations begin.

Ten thousand years later, Robo-Musk, Lord Emperor of the Solar System and Supreme Meme Approver, arrives back on Earth having made the arduous journey from his Jovian pleasure palace. Sitting before the ancient super computer, he awaits its response. Suddenly, the screen flickers to life. The AI speaks, telling Musk it has arrived at an answer and it thinks he's going to like it. Musk eagerly prompts the computer to reveal its answer.

"Okay", says the computer. "Four hundred and twenty."

Musk sits in silence for a moment, then speaks. "🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Renreeja posted:

On the apps every 2 to 5 posts an ad will appear, based on geographical location and ostensibly the people and trends you follow. There used to be third party clients that can be used to never get ads served but it seems like musk has ordered for them to be blocked. I was using one with no rt or qt stats which was really good to avoid looking at how tweets were "performing" to force engagement

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm not sure that's true. All it really does is make Musk/Twitter more desperate and puts advertisers in a better position to haggle down their price which I can imagine is possibly enticement enough to come back for at least some of them. At the end of the day it's all about getting as many eyes on your product as possible and as diminished as Twitter is, it still has millions of users. It feels a little like advertisers didn't so much jump ship, but temporarily withdrew to see which way the wind would blow.

All of this is presupposing, as mentioned before, that they decide to say "gently caress it" and chance advertising next to vile poo poo. I think at least some of the big boys will probably chance it.

But I hope you're right.
if musk had just taken over and rolled this stuff in over time thatd be one thing but he went out of his way to piss off basically all of them with half-finished, half-thought out ideas. companies hate risk and uncertainty and musk's twitter is nothing but that.

its not like they've completely pulled off of twitter or anything - there's still an official mcdonalds twitter for instance - but they can control what their twitter account appears next to and still use it to reach twitter's userbase in some ways.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no! no!!

https://twitter.com/zuzakistan/status/1647011167338897408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Paid checkmarks are universally poo poo.

https://twitter.com/spenolpalinusa/status/1647054722442854406?s=46&t=gBwwYH66NlEwfgt7cOZWEg