Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jisforjosh posted:

Is there any mod that changes the way ammo case recovery works for revolvers?

Doing a playthrough with revolvers only and only finding/crafting ammo and it only makes sense to me that when using a revolver, you'd be able to keep every spent casing since they're retained in the cylinder.

Flat 50 Percent Case Recovery Chance makes it a 50% chance for every gun, which increases to 100% with Hand Loader. Since you're only using revolvers, it won't matter that it changes other guns as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Chamale posted:

Flat 50 Percent Case Recovery Chance makes it a 50% chance for every gun, which increases to 100% with Hand Loader. Since you're only using revolvers, it won't matter that it changes other guns as well.

Thanks!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

New Vegas is becoming unplayable on my PC because of save corruption. I'm saving in a separate slot every time, but most of my saves are corrupting and won't load from the main menu. Would it help to delete a bunch of saves? I've got several hundred of them, although I'm well below the limit. If so, is there a way to delete unwanted saves en masse while keeping the ones I want?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not the amount of saves that is the problem, save bloat refers to the physical size of each save file. The longer the game goes on the more stuff it needs to keep track of, and with mods the save bloat can very quickly balloon, especially if you're adding mods to an ongoing playthrough.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Chamale posted:

New Vegas is becoming unplayable on my PC because of save corruption. I'm saving in a separate slot every time, but most of my saves are corrupting and won't load from the main menu. Would it help to delete a bunch of saves? I've got several hundred of them, although I'm well below the limit. If so, is there a way to delete unwanted saves en masse while keeping the ones I want?

Documents -> My Games -> FalloutNV -> Saves

.fos files are the actual save games. The names are usually your character's name + the datetime the save was made.

You won't necessarily need to delete them, you can always move them elsewhere in case you are not sure what you want to keep.

But also yes, the number of saves is unlikely to be a problem.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
there's a recent mod that claims to reduce save bloat btw: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/80666

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thanks for the tips. I'm having the issue with new characters as well, so it might not be save bloat at fault. I'll report back if any particular solution helps.

My latest character is a 1 Intelligence shotgun user. I've learned that if you fail to pick up the Platinum Chip after killing Benny, Vulpes doesn't show up to grant the Mark of Caesar, and Mr. House ridicules you for it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Chamale posted:

My latest character is a 1 Intelligence shotgun user. I've learned that if you fail to pick up the Platinum Chip after killing Benny, Vulpes doesn't show up to grant the Mark of Caesar, and Mr. House ridicules you for it.

It never ceases to impress me how many eventualities the game is totally prepared for, completely fleshed out.

And yeah just installed TTW and the install procedure recommended the actor save bloat fix by default so it probably works for at least some people

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

jisforjosh posted:

Doing a playthrough with revolvers only and only finding/crafting ammo and it only makes sense to me that when using a revolver, you'd be able to keep every spent casing since they're retained in the cylinder.
The chance of recovering a case isn't supposed to simulate you actually physically recovering it, but the chance that the case retains enough integrity to be reloaded.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

2house2fly posted:

there's a recent mod that claims to reduce save bloat btw: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/80666

Be very careful about NVSE plugins. They're often unstable. I've just finished a playthrough and in the beginning, I've used NVSE Stutter Remover which, indeed, removed the stutter but also crashed the game every half an hour. The only other mod I was using was JSawyer mod. Perhaps it's some untraceable combination of software and hardware.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Be very careful about NVSE plugins. They're often unstable. I've just finished a playthrough and in the beginning, I've used NVSE Stutter Remover which, indeed, removed the stutter but also crashed the game every half an hour. The only other mod I was using was JSawyer mod. Perhaps it's some untraceable combination of software and hardware.
That was not an inherent NVSE plugin problem, but a problem with an outdated mod that hasn't been updated in ages.

The stutter remover has crashing problems on Win10/11. You could "fix" this by going into stutter remover's .ini file and disabling the specific problem feature. But it's better to upgrade to Tick Fix
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66537

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Raygereio posted:

That was not an inherent NVSE plugin problem, but a problem with an outdated mod that hasn't been updated in ages.

The inherent NVSE plugin problem is that you go into a code modification territory and get all the problems associated with that. I suspect a normal game mod doesn't crash depending on your system, and if it does have issues they're probably more visible as script errors or missing objects or whatever.

Thanks for the link!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

rope kid posted:

The chance of recovering a case isn't supposed to simulate you actually physically recovering it, but the chance that the case retains enough integrity to be reloaded.

This is how I always saw it, it makes sense.

Modern fresh cases wear out after many uses, something like 20 times give or take 10 based on the case dimensions and powder load. The odds of the rounds you're using being new or even close to it are low so yeah.

Gun Runners might be making new brass but there's no way it's close to as good as what we have now so no way it's lasting that long even.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chamale posted:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Now I want a mod that makes the case recovery chance based on Perception (to find it on the ground), lowers it drastically if it's dark or there's a lot of garbage/furniture in the area, and makes small caliber ammo more difficult to recover (constantly rolling under appliances). Also, to the OP's point, makes it like 90% for revolvers specifically.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Man just wrap a plastic bag around your gun so that cases drop into it.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 11, 2023

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

rope kid posted:

I hadn't even considered it a case integrity mechanic but that makes sense with some hand load ammo varieties having a lower recovery rate because they're loaded hotter. Is there any rhyme or reason why some hand load ammo has the same recovery rate as the standard ammo and others have worse?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Apparently the Viva New Vegas github page got locked, so this is now the up-to-date link: https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

jisforjosh posted:

I hadn't even considered it a case integrity mechanic but that makes sense with some hand load ammo varieties having a lower recovery rate because they're loaded hotter. Is there any rhyme or reason why some hand load ammo has the same recovery rate as the standard ammo and others have worse?
I can't remember. Sorry.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Edit : don't post while sleep deprived, wastelanders

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 12, 2023

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Just play unarmed imo

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Animal Friend posted:

Just play unarmed imo

As long as blowing things up* with dynamite is considered armed, than hell no!

*Including oneself not infrequently.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 12, 2023

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

You can grab the Two-Step Goodbye and play unarmed while blowing yourself and others up.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mercenary grenade rifle, my beloved.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Byzantine posted:

Mercenary grenade rifle, my beloved.

It makes the Goodsprings quests trivial, but it is satisfying early game.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OldMemes posted:

It makes the Goodsprings quests trivial, but it is satisfying early game.

*Vulpes doesn't like this*

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

dr_rat posted:

*Vulpes doesn't like this*

Vulpes likes Thump Thump

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

With all due respect to rope kid, I've never managed to side with the Legion, because gently caress those guys. They're just so repugnant. Say what you will about the Master and his flaws, but at least he/they/them had a vision of improving life in the Wasteland.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Haverchuck posted:

Vulpes likes Thump Thump
Vulpes and his crew with their obliging straight-in-a-line pathing and smug initially nonhostile demeanor are also the single thing that will make me stop hoarding all those powder ganger mines.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rappaport posted:

With all due respect to rope kid, I've never managed to side with the Legion, because gently caress those guys. They're just so repugnant. Say what you will about the Master and his flaws, but at least he/they/them had a vision of improving life in the Wasteland.

Caesar at least pays lip service to the idea that the Legion is a stepping stone and he hopes to create an actual society once he takes Vegas but it's up to the player how much they believe him or if that idea will outlast him.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Sallow believes he's taking the long view of history, a historian declaring that of course the Gauls needed to be brutalized for Imperial Rome to become a reality.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Rappaport posted:

I mean, you don't have to. I did once because their side of the main quests is honestly pretty fun, but yeah, I can't imagine wanting to do that for most of my characters (especially the women, duh).

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's totally fine to have a faction that most players won't ever play as. Even if you only interact with them superficially they add a lot to the game. They have some quests that don't feel evil or anti-NCR and even can help you help NCR like leading you to a traitor in Camp McCarran.

Whole FNV is full of choices I won't ever take. It makes a point of allowing you to kill anyone you meet and a game (relatively well) reacts to it, and I won't ever do that. It's enough for me to know a possibility exists and it gives meaning to my decision to not kill somebody. An English Gentleman needs two clubs, one he goes to and one he doesn't go to.

Not to mention that in that specific example you can see how little justification people need to rationalize that a faction of evil barbaric murderers are is good, actually. Remember a merchant in their camps they made the roads safe! That very same merchant also tells you how legion officer killed his bramin just cause he felt like it, but also Hegelian dialectics. Hegelian dialectics, man.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ilitarist posted:

It's totally fine to have a faction that most players won't ever play as.

Oh 100%, it definitely would of been lesser a game if you weren't given the option. Same with letting you kill everyone.

Doc Mitchell's awesome and would never kill him, or just shooting up GoodSprings, but I'm very glad I was given the option. It actually meant I was given a choice in the matter.
It's always nice being given the option even if you don't chose it. It means you actually make decision on how you want to play.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Weirdly, most "choice" games tend to have an option like the Legion. Just a straight-up evil option (although Edward Sallow is more well-spoken than most leaders of evil factions), because apparently that was the biggest novelty of the ability to choose things in games. Some people want to play as utter bastards, but for the majority of people who still don't, the ability to choose to do the good thing gives it some kind of extra weight.

What made New Vegas more unique was the fact that aside from the Legion, the game also makes you choose between House and the NCR, which is a lot more ambiguous. The NCR isn't just a generic "good" faction, it is absolutely filled with flaws, and maybe it could even be better for the NCR if they didn't seize the Mojave, since House wants to help keep it intact. House isn't malicious, even if he isn't exactly an altruist. He has his own ideas for the betterment of the future for you to think about. Maybe the flaws of both the NCR and House could even push a player towards the Legion.

And then there's Yes-Man, to guide the player towards the end of the game no matter what, completing the circuit of total freedom of player choice.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Siding with Caesar let's you assassinate the president, which is always fun for the whole family.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Planescape was the most memorable one I can recall for having an evil route consisting of nothing but completely vile choices with nothing fun about any of it. I don't think I ever finished the thing, it was a straight road of "Ew"

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
House is the Elon Musk of the Mojave

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My only Legion playthrough was with a female character and it sucked but I appreciate when games include factions that just kind of suck as options to be honest, makes things more interesting. It helps that none of the factions could be considered fully "good". I usually go kill Caesar pretty early in playthroughs now, they all suck. Caesar pays lip service to creating a society but there's absolutely no reason to believe that would happen if he lost any power at all or just dies in a way outside of his tumor. Also don't really care that they're gonna create a society if they have slaves and many fascist beliefs.

Planescape definitely has the most memorable evil playthrough because it's just all horrible things, I've honestly never finished an evil playthrough in that game due to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

oh jay posted:

Siding with Caesar let's you assassinate the president, which is always fun for the whole family.

Did the presidents family really hate him that much? Poor president. :(

With how incompetent he seemed, assassinating him would of actually probably of been a bad idea. I remember near the end of WW2 the allied forces stopped trying to assassinate Hitler because they started to realise how much he regularly hosed up, and were worried if they actually managed to kill him someone who knew what they were doing might be put in charge.

It's funny the Legate, who's been talked up as a blood thirsty idiot might actually be shown to be the most intelligent leader. You point out how thin his forces are spread, and how it's causing weakness. He thinks about it, realises the analysis makes sense and retreats. No ego, no bluster. Just goes off the facts.