Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's nice, in a way, to know for sure that she's going to end up being the trick answer in some smartass quiz which 90% of people will miss and then groan because yeah of course, that weirdo was PM for about two hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

well this is getting into Baudrillard territory that in the simulacra the traditional forms of dissent are inherently absorbed into the code and are dead-end. that is the system controls the ways in which events are signified to non-participants, and then once the system encounters an event will prepare itself to neutralize, or prevent, the event next time thus diminishing events occurring in waves (the system acts as a damped oscillator). and then the system unleashes a dreadful wave of repression after each event attempting to foreclose it's interuptive/disruptive (potential) force and restore the dominant culture of terror. That results in feelings of futility, anxiety and vulnerability that are corrosive of movement-building and of repeated cycles of similar events. so in other words, traditional dissent is impossible under the contemporary dominant culture. so yes, they can arise spontaneously out of a result of conditions, but they are all readily subsumed, and have to be. the limitation to this is that the control is predicated on the system having the power and the resources to deploy to subsume interruptions, and the economic base for that is slowly but steadily fracturing.

:nsa:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

“Strategic non sequitors” posted by states using persona management software are already being used to diffuse potential spontaneous protests before they happen.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

addendum to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNPVhmS7Yw

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
all i have to say about dissent is look at the fuckin 60s. all the leadership got shot dead and then the fuckin counter culture got in line for reagan a decade later. Thanks for the last and greatest betrayal of the last and greatest of human dreams.

now sean hannity show has sick rock guitar lead-ins to his 30 minute blocks of hog person nonsense

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

She should run for president

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

“Strategic non sequitors” posted by states using persona management software are already being used to diffuse potential spontaneous protests before they happen.

this is why I smh at people who get mad at the comments, just assume it’s all fake and argue with posters with whom you share a symbolic resonance

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Xaris posted:

this will be the fun test. goons like to talk up how cool+badass france is at protesting and weak americans are at it. is public dissent just going to get subsumed quietly into the night or are they actually going to affect change to undo the pension reform?

it won't depend on protesters but on the unions if they decide to keep striking. protests are nice but given how much the french elite want this reform to pass they won't tip the scales. there's no revolutionary party around to take advantage of the situation so it will just depend if the strikes are harmful enough to capital.

e: i was a the protest the other day and there was still quite a lot of people for a little town. people are still really angry.

tristeham has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Apr 15, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/WaitingOnBiden/status/1646533790724915204

best we can do about all this child labor is write an angry letter

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Danann posted:

i even looked in the back, all we've got in stock is performative solutions im afriad

edit: performative solutions to exploitive child labor. clearly we have solid solutions for rising wages :downs:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

The thing that's great about usenet is it's really easy to automate.

Downloads

SABnzbd - NZB processor. Goon project, I'm pretty sure
Sonarr for TV
Radarr for Movies
Gamebrary for videogames (though I haven't actually messed around with it)
And I use Plex as my media center but whatever you like is fine

Services

The best ones of these aren't free but they're still cheaper than HBO

NZB.su - NZB indexer, has a free tier thats limited in downloads a day, $15 a year for unlimited
Newshosting - Probably the best hosting service. 5000+ day retention. I've been able to download stuff that was 500 days old with no problem. $13 a month but they have sales often and you retain the promo price if you remain subbed. I got it for $50 a year a few black fridays back

Guide

A TRaSH guide on setting it all up

------------------------------------------------------

Why did I write this all up?

bookmarking this

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

tristeham posted:

bookmarking this

why, there's nothing worth watching

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Danann posted:

look, kids need the extra experience on their resumes. How else are they going to apply for an entry level job that requires at least 5 years of experience?

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Downloads

Sonarr for TV
Radarr for Movies

Services

NZB.su - NZB indexer, has a free tier thats limited in downloads a day, $15 a year for unlimited
Newshosting - Probably the best hosting service. 5000+ day retention. I've been able to download stuff that was 500 days old with no problem. $13 a month but they have sales often and you retain the promo price if you remain subbed. I got it for $50 a year a few black fridays back

Guide

NOice.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Cannot recommend enough, plus the interfaces are legitimately the best tv experience when paired with plex or Kodi.

Just miles beyond what the industry offers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

apatheticman posted:

Cannot recommend enough, plus the interfaces are legitimately the best tv experience when paired with plex or Kodi.

Just miles beyond what the industry offers.

i actually think plex UI sucks and could be a lot better, it's actually annoying annoying to go through movie list or use the filter functions with a remote, but at least it's not worse than netflix/amazon/whatever.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Xaris posted:

i actually think plex UI sucks and could be a lot better, it's actually annoying annoying to go through movie list or use the filter functions with a remote, but at least it's not worse than netflix/amazon/whatever.

We got both installed and lean Kodi mostly because you can do that neat plug-in that makes tv shows and inserts old 80s commercials if you want in some. Helps with insomnia for some strange reason.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Father Wendigo posted:

HBO Max had a bunch of original programming that got cancelled. MAX fills in those gaps with lovely no-cost exciting Discovery shows like MILF Manor and My 600 Pound Wedding.

lesssgooooo MILF Wars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

lesssgooooo MILF Wars

milfyard wars was my favorite show growing up

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xaris posted:

that's right, and the upper class is on speaker-phones saying they have more bullets than there are people, calm down. the alternative would be what if passengers cut a hole in the side of the ship sinking it faster, and made a lifeboat out of hat boxes and suitcases and swam away. unfortunately easier said than done and also largely predicated on an understanding that the ship is sinking

i just hope these damned cacti grow large enough for me to get some mescaline out of them before i drown

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/runews/status/1643935865213788161?t=vZ-wlSjruEeBo-l7LskOXQ&s=19

could you imagine someone trying this at the American branches?:allears:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

That happened a week ago. Russian propagandists are really falling behind on their throughput.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

20 Blunts posted:

all i have to say about dissent is look at the fuckin 60s. all the leadership got shot dead and then the fuckin counter culture got in line for reagan a decade later. Thanks for the last and greatest betrayal of the last and greatest of human dreams.

now sean hannity show has sick rock guitar lead-ins to his 30 minute blocks of hog person nonsense

Counter-Culture was called that because it was the counterculture. Boomers were the second most conservative generation in American history.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PawParole posted:

Counter-Culture was called that because it was the counterculture. Boomers were the second most conservative generation in American history.

Yeah, the hippies were a tiny trend that drove the conservative majority absolutely nuts. Boomers are also probably still bitter that they have to pretend they were hippies so their kids don't think they were complete losers all their lives.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Aren't all the flood plain maps they use like a half-century out of date

Apparently last amended in 2014 for Ft. Lauderdale, I can't figure out how to use FEMAs ArcGIS map well enough to understand which sections are the NFIP covered areas

text editor has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Apr 15, 2023

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

text editor posted:

Aren't all the flood plain maps they use like a half-century out of date

Apparently last amended in 2014 for Ft. Lauderdale, I can't figure out how to use FEMAs ArcGIS map well enough to understand which sections are the NFIP covered areas

just like the FDA food pyramid, flood plain designation is subject to fierce lobbying

best option in that situation is to hand the keys back to the bank and laugh at them.

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
As a hippie, it's a bit disappointing that most people think it was a fashion trend at this point. The rug really tied the room together.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

just like the FDA food pyramid, flood plain designation is subject to fierce lobbying

best option in that situation is to hand the keys back to the bank and laugh at them.

It's kind of a bad time in US history for people to do that since the entire concept of our economy and wealth revolves around assigning roughly 43 trillion dollars worth of value to various types of shelter

That person doesn't want to walk away because they considered themselves to possess money equivalent to the value of that house. Even if they still owed $450,000 the math goes "Okay I sell my house for $800,000, and then after fees, closing costs and paying it off I have $300,000."

If they tell the bank to gently caress off and leave then they just have nothing. They already have nothing due to foresight and preparation by the insurance industry to protect itself but are just now realizing it.

It was probably a bad idea for Landlord to become the new job for everyone

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 07:39 on Apr 15, 2023

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Downloads

Sonarr for TV
Radarr for Movies

Services

Guide

Noted

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

We got both installed and lean Kodi mostly because you can do that neat plug-in that makes tv shows and inserts old 80s commercials if you want in some. Helps with insomnia for some strange reason.

downloading a buncha poo poo without commercials to put old commercials back in. just get cable?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

"Beat the kids harder until they're all smiling in the photos."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know if corporations are people and people can adopt children, and children can be put to work... oh my.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

fits my needs posted:

downloading a buncha poo poo without commercials to put old commercials back in. just get cable?

Not just any old commercial. A curated collection of vintage commercials. Back when they had art direction and …

I went and actually took a look at some old commercials, just to see how they had changed, and wow, ad people have gotten kinda lazy. No more little 20-30 second stories to sell the product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn4TABizwO4

Guessing it’s an efficiency thing. Since advertising is kinda hard to show if it works, better to poo poo out a bunch of mediocre ads on the cheap and pocket the rest of the customer’s money.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Lmao at not getting flood insurance in a hellhole state that gets owned by hurricanes every year

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Ebola Roulette posted:

Lmao at not getting flood insurance in a hellhole state that gets owned by hurricanes every year

This is a very common problem here. A lot of people assume their homeowners insurance covers flooding but it's a separate policy you have to get. These stories pop up every time there's a hurricane.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Help my new $5 million dollar mansion built from matchsticks and paper mache on a dry river bed just washed out to sea. What do I do? How was I supposed to know this could happen?

edit - same sort of thing happens regularly to people who build on flood plains. Cheap land, cheap houses. For good reason. Then they act shocked and dismayed when the flood plain floods every decade or so, they get rescued from their rooftop by someone in an inflatable dinghy and "woe is us, we'll have to start over with nothing" in the news.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Apr 15, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Flood insurance in places that flood all the time is insanely expensive, and you've also got decent odds of getting bailed out too.

If this person bought the place last year, they've got no equity or negative equity. This is the bank's loss now and this person is just going to go rent somewhere for a while, which is what they were going to do even if they had coverage because the house needs to be rebuilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Flood insurance is hosed. There's a bunch of lobbying and interests to keep people rebuilding over and over.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Build-flood-rebuild-flood-insurance-s-12413056.php

quote:

A home in Houston, valued at $114,000, filed 16 claims between 1989 and 1995 and collected more than $806,000 in payments.

quote:

The Middletons' luck ran out in 2016, when the Tax Day floods washed more than 2 feet of water into their home. The National Flood Insurance Program sent them $110,000 to make repairs. They lived for four months with their three teenage children in a camping trailer in the driveway.

Hurricane Harvey filled the house with more than 4 feet of water. Now they're back in the trailer, rebuilding with a $73,000 check from the National Flood Insurance Program and hoping for more.

The Middletons say they don't plan to leave. If they flood again, they'll rebuild again.