Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Emily Spinach posted:

Funnily enough we've got the radio flyer "off road" wagon on the way; ordered the other day and it's supposed to be arriving tomorrow. I've been going back and forth on it for a while, especially with a second kid on the way. I figure it'll be nice for schlepping the toddler around before her sister gets here in a few months though, and after if one of us is out with her without the baby or if we're wearing the baby. Plus it'll presumably be handy in the future when the baby is old enough to sit in it.

My parents bought the Radio Flyer with the “off road” tires and it’s a lot of fun and a nice change up for the stroller, especially when you can load it up with blankets and stuffed animals on cold days (of which there are many here). Less fun when the toddler insists on pulling it himself over icy roads but he eventually gives up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks all. Wow, lots of radio flyer owners.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

We got one and take it to the zoo and wild animal park. It's nice to not have to carry stuff on yourback all day and the boy can look around wherever while sitting in it unlike the stroller.

Next up is trying it out at the beach.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Holy poo poo... She slept through the night...

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

c355n4 posted:

Thanks all. Wow, lots of radio flyer owners.

Another one here. We used the folding one (got it from relatives) a lot last summer. It’s really convenient for shorter rides and quick in-and-out compared to a stroller we have. We hope to use it again this summer, especially for schlepping farmers’ market goods along with the kiddo.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

hallo spacedog posted:

This is always a good feeling

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

hallo spacedog posted:

Hopefully, you slept through the night as well and didn't wake up to phantom cries / worries about the lack of crying.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Hopefully, you slept through the night as well and didn't wake up to phantom cries / worries about the lack of crying.

We co sleep so I was woken only at 6:30ish to little feet on my face and that's when I realized I could see light around the curtain. It was glorious.

She slept another hour after that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

hallo spacedog posted:

We co sleep so I was woken only at 6:30ish to little feet on my face and that's when I realized I could see light around the curtain. It was glorious.

She slept another hour after that.

Hell yeah.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
We got a Radio Flyer wagon too and I wish we'd gotten the version with the wider, more stroller-like handle. The smaller wagon handle is kind of annoying to use to be honest.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I definitely recommend the same https://www.radioflyer.com/convertible-stroller-wagon.html.

The stroller-like handle makes all he difference. I'm 6"1' and I can still use it somewhat comfortably. And the front pull-handle telescopes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

extravadanza posted:

I've had the folding radio flyer wagon for a couple years and my only complaint is that the pull handle is a little short (I'm only 5'10"). Otherwise it's been great.

Same. I'm 6'2", and it's too short. The push handle is also too short, but I just walk next to it, usually on the road side anyhow. We got the one with the canopy and it's been great!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I wake up to phantom crying all the time lmfao. It’s nuts.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just placed an order for one with a canopy and the push/pull configuration. Hopefully will arrive in time for the festival/fair thing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I have family coming in tonight for my daughter's third birthday in Sunday and I'm currently at the doctor with her because she's running a fever and throwing up :shepface:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
If you’ve got a wagon with a short handle you can tie a sturdy fabric to it and pull from that.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
who the hell made the 5-6yo soccer thing at the Y at 8 am on a Saturday this is bullshit

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Welp we've all got Covid. At least we're all vaxxed.

Chrodyn posted:

We all got COVID over easter. 18month old twins are going to be cooped up inside the house for at least another week and a bit. My future is grim...

Checking in on the COVID club. (I guess the "C" usernames are at risk right now, huh...) I have it and my wife has it. The baby tested negative, although honestly it seems like it's most likely he brought it home with him and he's already over it. We had some cold-type symptoms over the weekend and into the start of the week, but nothing that stood out from the typical bugs the kid brings home. We also found out he had an ear infection during the week, so we were focused on that. We only did tests last night because my wife got pink eye and saw an article that said that can be involved with the current strains. So I guess the good news is health-wise it could have come and gone without us knowing it's COVID, we're all vaxxed and boosted and such so it was somewhat mild. But it's still frustrating, we're pretty careful. I guess it gets everyone eventually.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my 4 month old daughter has moderate to severe plagiocephaly.......... those helmets arent cheap. oh well she definitely has a noticeable flat spot so i dont think they are trying to take me for a ride. we had to do this for our other kid too, frustrating.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got a new pasta roller and me and my daughter made noodles together for the first time ever. The whole time she's talking about how cool it is, how much fun she's having, how much she loves me, what a great day she's having. I gotta bottle up the waters from this spring for enjoyment in old age!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

devmd01 posted:

who the hell made the 5-6yo soccer thing at the Y at 8 am on a Saturday this is bullshit

It's bullshit for the parents, but from what I can tell, most kids that age are perfectly in their prime at 8AM regardless of the day of the week. As in, an hour later, they have less capacity for attention and focus. In a situation where the soccer field is occupied at all daylight hours, it makes a bit of sense to put the smallest kids first in the mornings.

Still, sucks if you have to get them up at 6 to be there on time... But it would be even more ridiculous to give the 8AM slot to teenagers.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

Checking in on the COVID club. (I guess the "C" usernames are at risk right now, huh...) I have it and my wife has it. The baby tested negative, although honestly it seems like it's most likely he brought it home with him and he's already over it. We had some cold-type symptoms over the weekend and into the start of the week, but nothing that stood out from the typical bugs the kid brings home. We also found out he had an ear infection during the week, so we were focused on that. We only did tests last night because my wife got pink eye and saw an article that said that can be involved with the current strains. So I guess the good news is health-wise it could have come and gone without us knowing it's COVID, we're all vaxxed and boosted and such so it was somewhat mild. But it's still frustrating, we're pretty careful. I guess it gets everyone eventually.

I was wiped out for a day and a half with fever and aches. Partner had the same just after I was on the tailend. The twins were feverish and tired for all of one night and back to 18month old destruction energy.

Scary how rapid and contagious it was but very glad for the vaccinations and that the goblin girls weren't hit too hard.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Parenting sucks. There is no worse feeling than fearing for your child's safety.

My wife, daughter, and youngest son were out walking the dog this morning. The dog was being an idiot so my wife attended to him. When she looked back over, my daughter was on the ground, eyes rolling back in her head, and her whole body was jerking.

Someone passing by in a truck at that moment immediately stopped and called 911, then came and got me at the house. This was right down the street and i could see everything from my yard.

Thankfully, she came around after a couple of minutes. Blood work and scans didn't show anything concerning, so they're guessing she just passed out, probably due to dehydration and the 85 degree heat index. We cannot get thst girl to drink water. We've tried the flavoring and everything and she just won't do it. She's the most stubborn human on the planet, too, so good friggin luck if she digs her heels in.

She was sleepy when she got home, but after napping she seemed more like herself. At bedtime she was being silly and goofy like she usually is, so that's encouraging.

Apparently, passing out can sometimes look a lot like a siezure, as it did in this case. But the Dr said she wouldn't have come around so quickly if it was. She was alert within a couple of minutes, compared to 20 or more if it was a siezure.

I have to take her into the pediatrician on Monday for follow up.

I was so scared that I'd broken though to the other side and was completely calm. Though most of it is a blur.

So yeah, that was my Saturday.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 16, 2023

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Parenting sucks. There is no worse feeling than fearing for your child's safety.

My wife, daughter, and youngest son were out walking the dog this morning. The dog was being an idiot so my wife attended to him. When she looked back over, my daughter was on the ground, eyes rolling back in her head, and her whole body was jerking.

Someone passing by in a truck at that moment immediately stopped and called 911, then came and got me at the house. This was right down the street and i could see everything from my yard.

Thankfully, she came around after a couple of minutes. Blood work and scans didn't show anything concerning, so they're guessing she just passed out, probably due to dehydration and the 85 degree heat index. We cannot get thst girl to drink water. We've tried the flavoring and everything and she just won't do it. She's the most stubborn human on the planet, too, so good friggin luck if she digs her heels in.

She was sleepy when she got home, but after napping she seemed more like herself. At bedtime she was being silly and goofy like she usually is, so that's encouraging.

Apparently, passing out can sometimes look a lot like a siezure, as it did in this case. But the Dr said she wouldn't have come around so quickly if it was. She was alert within a couple of minutes, compared to 20 or more if it was a siezure.

I have to take her into the pediatrician on Monday for follow up.

I was so scared that I'd broken though to the other side and was completely calm. Though most of it is a blur.

So yeah, that was my Saturday.

:hug:

That sucks, and I can only imagine the heart stopping horror of seeing it happen and being helpless.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The guy who taught our infant CPR class said something like "yeah it's pretty scary the first time they get a febrile seizure" which was actually weirdly reassuring.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

sharkytm posted:

:hug:

That sucks, and I can only imagine the heart stopping horror of seeing it happen and being helpless.

I was at home when it happened, but my wife has been basically traumatized ever since.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

I was at home when it happened, but my wife has been basically traumatized ever since.

My bad, I thought you were watching from the window. She should talk to someone. That's straight trauma and it's best to get ahead of it if you can.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

sharkytm posted:

My bad, I thought you were watching from the window. She should talk to someone. That's straight trauma and it's best to get ahead of it if you can.

Thankfully she has a therapy appointment this week.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The guy who taught our infant CPR class said something like "yeah it's pretty scary the first time they get a febrile seizure" which was actually weirdly reassuring.

Our kid had a febrile seizure when he got HFM last fall. It was almost nap time and we had just gotten home from the park. Seemed hot so checked his temp then his head and eyes went back and he started smacking his lips. Rushed him to the ER and got some Tylenol/advil in him and that’s pretty much what they said too. Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That is nightmarish :smith: Wishing everyone the best

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Our kid was sick last week and we thought she was better since she hadn't thrown up in 24 hours, but she woke up screaming and puking again and there were no tears when she cried, so I called the health line to see if we should take her in to emergency. We hadn't been able to get any fluids into her, so I was worried about her being dehydrated. While on the line with the nurse, she puked up all over the kitchen floor and he could hear how incredibly upset she was and shouting "mommy help me!" It was so sad to hear her say that and not be able to just make her all better.

The nurse recommended getting her seen in the next 4 hours if she didn't improve in the next hour. It was already past 10 and I didn't want to wait an hour with a constantly screaming child, so we just started to pack up to go to the hospital. She managed to fall asleep in the car, thank goodness and was in better spirits by the time we got to the hospital. They immediately gave her some anti-nausea medication which seemed to help a lot. We were able to get some food and water into her and she slept a lot in the waiting room. We didn't see a doctor for over 5 hours, but he said she seemed okay and sent us home with a couple more doses of the medication just in case we can't get her to eat or drink again. Fortunately, she was fine after that.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, kids seem to know how to terrify you.

Our son has been to the ER three times for allergic reactions. Our daughter has been twice for breathing problems - COVID and RSV.

As a trade off, they're both amazing at drinking water, I should just get them reddit accounts now for r/hydrohomies because holy poo poo.

I still think the best ER exchange was with a nurse for our son
"We usually give prednisone in apple juice, is that okay?"
"Uh, I guess? We've never given him juice?"
"I'm not starting that! Sorry kid, water it is!"

:D Running into good nurses always makes it better. Good doctors too, the one we had for the cashew allergy while out of state was amazing.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Amazing how perfectly my toddler times her pees. Lets it go in the two seconds between removing the dirty diaper and placing the clean one, when when stone cold asleep

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Child while I perform activity meant for her entertainment: nowhere to be found, possibly the moon
Child while I take my one sit-down break in hours: right up in my sshhiitt making me get up and perform tasks

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I put on an experimental electronic music record from 1968 and the four year old and I pretended to be robots powered by bacon while daddy was making breakfast.

Oh also I’m not allowed to call my partner by his name anymore, because he is daddy only.

I mean…

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Child woke me up at 430 and then we got up for good at 7. I made everyone blueberry pancakes and was ready to start the day.

Child refused to eat more than one bite and refused to change out of pajamas. Said NO to everything including:
- getting in high chair
- being let out of high chair
- being allowed to watch TV
- getting TV taken away
- asking to go back to bed
- asking to be let out of bed

He’s in a better mood now but is still wearing pajamas and we never managed to leave the house. Lazy Sunday

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Slaan posted:

Amazing how perfectly my toddler times her pees. Lets it go in the two seconds between removing the dirty diaper and placing the clean one, when when stone cold asleep

My kid has to pee/poop only after we’ve got her shoes and jacket on and everyone is ready to go. Every single time.

Then she insists on peeing by herself. 20 minutes later she runs out of the bathroom, toilet paper strewn everywhere and pants half on.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I look forward to this runny nose finally ending at some unknown point in the future so I no longer have to “wipe it!!!!” constantly.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

space uncle posted:

Child woke me up at 430 and then we got up for good at 7. I made everyone blueberry pancakes and was ready to start the day.

Child refused to eat more than one bite and refused to change out of pajamas. Said NO to everything including:
- getting in high chair
- being let out of high chair
- being allowed to watch TV
- getting TV taken away
- asking to go back to bed
- asking to be let out of bed

He’s in a better mood now but is still wearing pajamas and we never managed to leave the house. Lazy Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

I was eating dinner with my 1y9m old daughter and wife one evening about a month ago when our daughter started choking on a too big mouthful of rice. I was up away from the table grabbing something from the kitchen when I heard my wife asking our daughter if she was okay, and I turned over to see her drop her spoon and reach her arms out to her mom. I ran back over to the table, and noticed our daughter wasn't making any noise. When I saw her face, she looked completely terrified and had tears starting to well up in her eyes. It's a look I never want to see again, and one I will never forget.

I ripped the table off her high chair, practically throwing it across the room in the process, yelled at my wife to call an ambulance, and put our daughter over my knee and started hitting her on the back. Luckily, the rice came out and our daughter started crying after only a couple of solid hits, before my wife had even picked up her phone. I picked her up and tried to tell her it was okay before I started crying myself, with my wife joining us soon after realizing what had just happened. The whole incident probably took less than 30 seconds, but even a month later I still find myself playing it back through my head.

Our daughter has (understandably) mostly entirely stopped eating rice afterwards. It kind of sucks since we live in Japan and it's basically guaranteed to be in every lunch at her daycare, and she would have some rice at dinner half the time.