Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Just finished watching that and I’m bummed he’s punting the followup video to Nebula. Is there a write up of the air battle he mentions at the end there? I’m not signing up for a service just to watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

it's the first time I've ever seen a picture of the Fairchild-Hiller F-X proposal

I love this thing’s looks:

https://twitter.com/clemente3000/status/1195153551527489536?s=46&t=APaSoMrxc-b4PmCrsiuwWA

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

That and the F-14 staring at each other:
Does your body even lift, bro?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The 737 max clown show continues.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That and the F-14 staring at each other:
Does your body even lift, bro?

It has Thunderchief vibes from the front, too.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
And MiG 29, too..... :tinfoil:

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

If that thing had won the competition, can you imagine the tangle of fairings, bumps, conformal tanks and hardpoints that would have been shoved between the nacelles by 2023?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

winnydpu posted:

If that thing had won the competition, can you imagine the tangle of fairings, bumps, conformal tanks and hardpoints that would have been shoved between the nacelles by 2023?

A drop tank the shape of a bathtub

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The 737 max clown show continues.

..dare I ask what now?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Boeing paused deliveries because a fitting made by one of their suppliers doesn't fit right in a way that does not cause a safety issue. https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/boeing-pauses-deliveries-some-737-maxs-amid-new-supplier-problem-2023-04-13/

Edit: here's a good summary:

quote:

Spirit, which builds the entire MAX fuselage in Wichita, Kansas, notified Boeing on Wednesday that “a non-standard manufacturing process” was used during the installation of two fittings at the vertical tail of certain 737 MAX 7, MAX 8 and MAX 8-200 models, as well as on the 737-based P-8 military plane for the U.S. Navy.

The fittings involved are two of eight points where the vertical fin is attached to the fuselage.

That means the parts don’t conform to Federal Aviation Administration regulatory requirements.

Spirit said in a statement that it has “identified a quality issue on the aft fuselage section of certain models of the 737 fuselage that Spirit builds.”

“Spirit is working to develop an inspection and repair for the affected fuselages,” the statement added.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-737-max-production-hit-by-a-new-defect-in-supplier-part/

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

First thought was
https://macross.fandom.com/wiki/VF-4_Lightning_III

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sounds like they got some Friday fuselages. Guy at the airport I tow gliders out of has a Stemme S12 and he was grounded waiting for an AD fix for some foam blocks in one of the spars that Hans had tried to install sideways and then sanded them to make them fit. Fix involved drilling some holes through the CF spar straps and injecting epoxy to fill the voids left by the missing foam core. Not the end of the world, but annoying to have to do on your brand new $430k airplane…

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

"Nonstandard manufacturing process" evokes such wonderful mental images.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Just means some guy went “gently caress it” and did it the fast way then got caught by QA / QC.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Boeing engineering team finally gets a win: https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/14/world/paper-airplane-boeing-engineers-world-record-scn

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Glad to hear that the Spirit name is synonymous with quality in all sectors of the aviation industry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

standard.deviant posted:

Is “Blue” for what I think it’s for?

It came from an accident that occurred IN the hospital, but testicles were not involved.

hannibal posted:

I just think it’s wild that we are actually finally replacing the E-3. I always assumed it would be one of those platforms that flew forever. They’re pretty beat up right? Is the replacement good? Seems like one of those things that will be made to go right because it’s so important.

They're extremely worn out, there are basically no engines left, and almost everything needs to be fabbed from scratch. The replacement is very good, but several years off.

Phanatic posted:

"Jethro"'s got to be the most obvious and obligatory one ever.

That dude was one of the last enlisted AWACS controllers. I considered myself lucky to have that generation of experts with 10+ years experience teach me how to do poo poo, before they were completely replaced by 1Lts who literally couldn't spend more than 3 years doing it unless they'd done something to destroy their career already.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 15, 2023

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Godholio posted:

They're extremely worn out, there are basically no engines left, and almost everything needs to be fabbed from scratch. The replacement is very good, but several years off.

I thought the USAF had piles of TF33s. Maybe that's old information and things have changed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s the technical reason but this is the real reason:

https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1646630829433421825?s=46&t=TBi_iSImUmzjTxXAKsMEHw

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"Incredible" is one of those fun words where you can interpret it literally and drastically change the meaning of the sentence. In this case, "not having credibility".

Like, I was taught not to use the word in personnel evaluation reports, because if you say "Sailor Timmy is an incredible worker", it basically means "I do not believe that Sailor Timmy actually works this hard".

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Boeing is the FCA of airplanes prove me wrong

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

Boeing is the FCA of airplanes prove me wrong

Does that make the 737 a jeep compass?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"Incredible" is one of those fun words where you can interpret it literally and drastically change the meaning of the sentence. In this case, "not having credibility".

Like, I was taught not to use the word in personnel evaluation reports, because if you say "Sailor Timmy is an incredible worker", it basically means "I do not believe that Sailor Timmy actually works this hard".

That is exactly why you should use that word though.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Does that make the 737 a jeep compass?

More like a volare with fuel injection and a Bluetooth radio

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Godholio posted:

It came from an accident that occurred IN the hospital, but testicles were not involved.
Ah. Our Blue got his name from the time he was in the lav and the airplane went momentarily negative-G.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I thought the USAF had piles of TF33s. Maybe that's old information and things have changed.

They have lots of them (spares from 100s of decommissioned B-52s), but PW is charging and arm and a leg for maintenance and refurb. Engine maintainence costs was one the main drivers cited in re-engining the B-52Hs away from TF33.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It wouldn’t surprise me if all the old TF-33s have been sitting around for such a long time that getting one ready to be used is akin to hand building a new engine each time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, it’s nuts what a proper engine shop can do to make an airworthy engine now, but that kind of overhaul isn’t cheap.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Xenoborg posted:

They have lots of them (spares from 100s of decommissioned B-52s), but PW is charging and arm and a leg for maintenance and refurb. Engine maintainence costs was one the main drivers cited in re-engining the B-52Hs away from TF33.

Old BUFFs, old KC-135s, the other C-135 variants, the C-141s, and a fuckton of airlines that the USAF purchased used engines from.

The stockpile is basically burned through, I guess.

The overhaul facility is across the runway from the AWACS parking ramp, in the second-largest building in the DOD (behind the Pentagon). Bldg 3001 is a mile long. Edit: Obviously it's not dedicated to that task, it's also the depot for several heavy aircraft types.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

"Man I miss the screech of straight turbo jets and low bypass turbo fans" said no one ever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you flew or worked near them, you might be blessed enough to hear it nearly all the time!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

"Man I miss the screech of straight turbo jets and low bypass turbo fans" said no one ever.

Maybe somebody at Delta since they retired the DC-9-50 in 2014

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Godholio posted:

If you flew or worked near them, you might be blessed enough to hear it nearly all the time!

WHAT?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
A Saudia A330 came under artillery fire with passengers aboard at Khartoum airport. Note the burning airplane with slides deployed -

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1647185120313372673?s=20

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Arson Daily posted:

My man have you not witnessed the glory of the 737-200? May they fly forever.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arson Daily posted:

Learjet 25 people are a WEIRD bunch, and say this ALL the time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

My man have you not witnessed the glory of the 737-200? May they fly forever.

The 727 used *three* JT8Ds and I flew on many of those in my youth since they were popular regional airport jets.

The 737-200 at least had the decency to put them under the wings.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone know what’s going on here?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Arson Daily posted:

I occasionally get 76 and 77 fly overs at about 5000 ft. Notably loud compared to the usual gaggle of regionals, but not terribly so. A few days ago something really loud flew over so me — thinking it was a helicopter or maybe something military — looked it up and no: it was a mad dog at 5000 :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Torture by ergonomics?