Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zodium posted:

oh my god you were the entropy guy lmfao

It's not just entropy. Chaos theory is a big factor. You aren't likely to agitate a bag of poo poo and get a cake unless you prepare it very carefully in advance.

None of this is Disco Sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There's only one bag of poo poo getting agitated in here

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

look at this i loving love science level poo poo lol. it's just incoherently throwing out random rear end words. uhh. entropy. chaos theory. prisoners dilemma.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zodium posted:

i am not advocating for a math based approach. i'm telling people who are that mixing and matching math and science words to express their feelings is dumb.

Zodium posted:

look at this i loving love science level poo poo lol. it's just incoherently throwing out random rear end words. uhh. entropy. chaos theory. prisoners dilemma.

let people enjoy things

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
How is climate change /not/ related to entropy? It's p basic thermodynamics

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Zodium posted:

If you have trouble with any of these things in context you can ask

Wakko posted:

no, specifically humans. we don’t need to hypothesize that there are intelligent species that don’t consume resources until their environment collapses because they already exist, i.e. elephants. an elephant that tried to invent feudalism would be exiled or trampled to death.

Well, yeah that's easy. But then there's a gap. Empty niches get filled unless elephants takeover everything. And they don't do that because they aren't inclined.

Elephants don't seed the globe with pigs and cats.

Harold Fjord has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Apr 15, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Rectal Death Adept posted:

let people enjoy things

if idiots can smugly post their deranged takes as scientific fact, i can flame them for it being stupid pseudoscience.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
humanity is poison/etc crew is just cope. they're unable to smile at a big iceberg falling down. i pity these poor bastards

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

humanity is poison/etc crew is just cope. they're unable to smile at a big iceberg falling down. i pity these poor bastards

I don't think any of us are particularly bummed out by it, at least I'm not. It's like getting mad a snake for biting you, it's just doing what a snake does

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

you can take boat tours to see collapsing glaciers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a world where everything eats everything else to get by feels like dumb idea to me but iana superuniveral entity

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

4d3d3d posted:

I don't think any of us are particularly bummed out by it, at least I'm not. It's like getting mad a snake for biting you, it's just doing what a snake does

Not believing in free will makes it very easy to forgive everyone for everything all the time.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
humanities greatest achievements that couldn't be accomplished by crappy nature: pizza, cars, video games

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
tired: death is certain
wired: actually, the scientific concept ‘death’ is uncertain

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Harold Fjord posted:

It's not just entropy. Chaos theory is a big factor. You aren't likely to agitate a bag of poo poo and get a cake unless you prepare it very carefully in advance.

None of this is Disco Sales.

the communist forum

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the communist forum

I'd still like the final autarky to be Communist. My influence here in the core is pretty minimal though.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

krispykremessuck posted:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Harold Fjord posted:

If you have trouble with any of these things in context you can ask

Well, yeah that's easy. But then there's a gap. Empty niches get filled unless elephants takeover everything. And they don't do that because they aren't inclined.

Elephants don't seed the globe with pigs and cats.

they would if they are meat and/or had a mutually beneficial relationship with cats

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

500excf type r posted:

Science for me, but not for thee!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

500excf type r posted:

ppl only ever say it to sound badass.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/en/news/climate/impacts/climate-change-cramping-richardson-ground-squirrels-love-life

quote:

The heat is messing with the reproductive timing of Richardson's ground squirrels in a fascinating example of phenological mismatch driven by climate change.

Animals, like humans, are suffering from the impacts of climate change. Some impacts are direct and easy to understand, like loss of habitat or the disappearance of food sources. But the climate can also have more complex and bizarre consequences.

Take Richardson’s ground squirrels, commonly called gophers, a common pest in the Prairies. Dr. Jane Waterman is a biologist at the University of Manitoba and expert on social behaviour in ground-dwelling squirrels, who has been studying a wild population for years at the Assiniboine Park & Zoo. In 2012, after a freak heat wave hit Manitoba in the spring, she noticed something strange with her squirrels — they were shooting blanks.

“So I was trying to look at the factors that may influence reproductive success… In 2010, when I looked at them, everything was really clear. All the piping, all the instruments inside the animal were well developed. But when I looked in 2012, there was no sperm in so many of the animals.

And I just wasn't expecting it, so then we started to look at the factors that might have influenced this. There was no difference in age, body size or testes size. But it was 26 degrees out.”

Hot squirrel spring
The heat, it turns out, was the key factor. She explained that male and female squirrels rely on different cues to come out of hibernation. Males come out first, driven by endogenous cues — internal mechanisms like hormonal shifts that wake them up, “like an inner alarm clock.” They spend a few weeks bulking up and sorting out territorial issues with their peers, during which the reproductive system that was dormant in the winter kicks back into gear. This occurs in March, when there is still snow on the ground in Winnipeg.

Females, for their part, are guided more by environmental factors, what biologists call exogenous cues. They wake up more slowly as the temperature rises, and come out of their burrow ready to go. Normally, this occurs a few weeks after the males first become active, but in 2012 the delay between the sexes was reduced to just a few days. The girls caught the guys unprepared; over half (58.6 per cent) had non-motile sperm — their swimmers didn’t swim.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
how to achieve hyperentropy

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

krispykremessuck posted:

lol

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

if every intelligent civilization isn’t inherently doomed to kill themselves off, why are there no aliens? checkmate zodium

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
My tummy says the world's ending. Argue all you want, I'll continue to hold this belief. It's one of those wager things. Either I'm proven wrong and continue existing or I get to drop a nuclear "told you so" before death.

Win win

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
:wrong:

Few to none of us want to be right about this

Maed posted:

if every intelligent civilization isn’t inherently doomed to kill themselves off, why are there no aliens? checkmate zodium

It's probably not certain. The statistical improbability is out there.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Harold Fjord posted:

:wrong:

Few to none of us want to be right about this

Nah I wasnt being sarcastic. I put some thought into it and given my essentially zero control over anything decided the best I could hope for was spiteful vindication.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

do i have to go back through my posts in this thread and bring up my previous posts on entropy, aliens, and other things

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

can you dig up mine while you're at it

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Hubbert posted:

do i have to go back through my posts in this thread and bring up my previous posts on entropy, aliens, and other things

how certain are you that they exist

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

can you dig up mine while you're at it

I'm sorry, but this means I'd have to read your posts.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

that was the joke, big brain

:smuggo:

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
If I have to die I don't see why humanity or the biosphere should get a pass.

What do you mean humanity and the biosphere aren't going to "die"?!? Look at our amazing innovations and achievements over the past few centuries. Who knows what we can accomplish? Your gut can't predict the future ya dingus!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

the communist forum

this circular firing squad is the most Communist part of this forum

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a disturbing lack of scientific citation and acknowledgment that since nothing can be truly defined then no statement can ever be considered true, especially the bad ones

do better thread

edit: in case it wasn't clear this is a threat. I will throw the world's biggest temper tantrum if my demands aren't met.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Microplastics posted:

There's only one bag of poo poo getting agitated in here

lol

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Rectal Death Adept posted:

edit: in case it wasn't clear this is a threat. I will throw the world's biggest temper tantrum if my demands aren't met.

how can you be certain of that, this is a vibes based statement and while I can appreciate the sentiment you should be more comfortable with uncertainty instead of making declarative statements that may only be measured in retrospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

:justpost: