Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Bells are great, my commuter and mtb both have them, but idk if there's a way of putting them on a drop bar bike that doesn't suck

It's a Crane bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not for me sorry

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I have a spurcycle and mounted it like this on the drop, maybe an inch higher. It’s great from the hoods and so so in the drop. Your particular finger spas may make it more or less awkward

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Slavvy posted:

Bells are great, my commuter and mtb both have them, but idk if there's a way of putting them on a drop bar bike that doesn't suck
this is the one my noble friends use

https://road.cc/content/review/262513-knog-oi-luxe-bell-brass

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, sample size of "2km of my commute is a narrow multi-use path through a park" but yelling "On your left" just makes people jump out of their skin, but a bell makes them process the concept of BICYCLE

I've tried a couple kinds of bells (on a flat bar commuter):

Single-ding (Tried and returned a "Knog Oi Luxe") is loud, but sounds like someone kicking a chainlink fence post, nobody recognized it as a bicycle bell.

Ding-dong (Dutch style, I live in an area with a lot of retired Dutch immigrants) is also loud, but only gets recognized as a bicycle by the aforementioned older dutch folks. Lives on the winter/mtb commuter.

Ring-ring (I think I paid like $5 at Walmart for a "Bell" branded chrome bell) sounds like the bell everyone's bike had when they were 8 years old, anyone not wearing headphones just steps to the side and I glide by with a "Thanks" on my way to work.

klezmer life yo fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 15, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I have a spurcycle and mounted it like this on the drop, maybe an inch higher. It’s great from the hoods and so so in the drop. Your particular finger spas may make it more or less awkward

I genuinely don't get how you could possibly reach that from the hood

The main thing is I don't want to take my hand off the bars to use a bell, at that point I'd rather just shout at people. With a flat bar it's right there you just move your thumb

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My mother once went to a hipster store to buy an artistically made traditional bike bell, as a present for my new bike.
It made a beautiful friendly relaxing but clearly audible ring sound. Every time I went over even the smallest curb.
After a year or so the lever got damaged, and now I couldn't manually ring it. It still rung by itself at all those potholes.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

osker posted:

This is rough as hell and I hope you recover quickly (and completely). How much rest did you take after the ride and what is your recovery regiment?

After really long rides I try and take 48 hrs off with plenty of massages, ice packs and salt baths

on the thursday i finished my ride and felt absolutely fine, worked 11 hour shifts on both friday and saturday so i couldn't ride at all, and then on sunday i went for a 15 mile ride with minimal elevation (maybe ~200ft/60m tops)

recovery regime is normally just to eat a ton and take it easy for a day or two. i think i've been cruising on the fact that i'm pretty young and able to bounce back easily for a while, so i haven't really been doing anything serious to help with it

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Are camelbak podiums still the de facto water bottle?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

They're the ones I use.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

nwin posted:

I prefer Purist bottles. Ive also been wanting to try the Bivo bottles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slavvy posted:

I genuinely don't get how you could possibly reach that from the hood

Your middle and ring fingers have a lot of reach. Just try reaching down and plucking the air by the drop to see where your finger tip lands.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I am completely boggled by the existence of the bike bell industry. I just say "on your left," are people that scared of talking?

Just sprint at 50km/h and scream "NEEEURM!" as you whizz by.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I just say "Good morning!" In a cheery way. I find it works well.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

There’s always a mtb style trail bell. It lets the hikers know “here comes a special boy” with a lot of notice.

I prefer the podium to the purist; the nozzles wore out on a bunch of purist bottles we had.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Turmoilx posted:

i've come to be torn between the State 4130 with drop bars and 700b wheels, or the State undefeated disc road i can't figure out which would be a better choice ..unless you got a better idea of something completely different but very similar

.. new to this style of bikes and trying to stay around those prices of 1k bux. my plan for these are riding along the river/ bike paths. I've not been to my local shops yet but they don't carry state brand

Paved or dirt paths? The Undefeated says 28c max tires but may fit 32c. The 4130 fits up to 45c or 2.1" x 650b.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Literally yesterday I was looking at my tires and wondering if I should buy new ones - they've got ~4000km in them and the middle parts of the tread are mostly gone on the rear one, but the front one still looks good to me.

So of course today I got my first flat on these tires/this bike on that rear :negative:
Fortunately all that time carrying a pump and spare tube worked out for me this time.
(I didn't ride in front of that waterfall, but I noticed the flat after stepping away from there so pushing it along those sharp-rear end rocks is likely what triggered it)

Nice ride though still and it's a confidence booster that I can do a road-side repair on this bike. Glad it happened now when the weather is warm-ish, it definitely would have sucked to do this in the snow.

e: apparently this exact bike that I bought from Latvian Decathlon for 1100€ in September is now on sale on the US site for 1799$

Angryhead fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 15, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

A good bell has more reach than a non-yelling voice.

I just screech at the top of my lungs

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I haven't had a bell in awhile, but back when I did I used a HideMyBell and thought it worked out quite well. Now they've got fancier newer versions and I'm kinda tempted to go back.

no skateboarding EVER!
Apr 21, 2003
Jagermeister & schadenfreude.

numberoneposter posted:

if you say "on your left" people will move left

Yep, like 95% of the time. Also if they have a dog, the dog just interprets it as some large wheeled person rapidly heading straight towards them and yelling aggressively.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Bell works well for the dummies who are walking their dogs without a leash (and glare at me as if I'm the problem)

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

sweat poteto posted:

Paved or dirt paths? The Undefeated says 28c max tires but may fit 32c. The 4130 fits up to 45c or 2.1" x 650b.

yeah paved. just not sure due to the material differences, the undefeated is 6lbs less i dunno how big that is vs ride quality of a steel frame

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 15, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Not for me sorry

Maybe this?

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gear/accessories/bike-accessories/bells/canyon-road-cycling-bell/10005999.html

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
huh a bar end bell thats neat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUHOJTaP3c sounds pretty quiet.. we need air horns

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 15, 2023

dema
Aug 13, 2006

tildes posted:

It doesn’t seem to connect to power meters, it seems a bit more like a place you’d upload to from somewhere else? I could be missing this though.

You've got a power meter but not a cycling computer? Or GPS watch that supports PMs? Curious.

numberoneposter posted:

might i recommend a de rosa anima

Oh. My. God.

One day I'll own another De Rosa. And I won't break the frame in a crash this time.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Turmoilx posted:

yeah paved. just not sure due to the material differences, the undefeated is 6lbs less i dunno how big that is vs ride quality of a steel frame

One is a roadie road bike, made to go fast. The other is made for everything, road / dirt / gravel. Light bikes are nicer all things being equal which they aren't. I've had bikes made of all materials at some point but have wound up 10 years later all steel.

If you have ambitions of doing long or fast road rides, 60-100 miles+ then the Undefeated is probably the pick, otherwise the other one (the stock 700x38 is a good medium tire for all purposes). For $300 you can upgrade to a carbon fork which will save some weight, if that's in budget.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 15, 2023

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

sweat poteto posted:

The 4130 line from State comes in a few distinct flavors: All-Road (11-speed I think; this is their gravel bike), Road (8-speed ultra-vintage-style), and Single Speed/Fixed Gear. The former and latter fit up to 45c tires; the middle one doesn't. I imagine you're talking about the All-Road, since you're comparing it to an aluminum road bike.

I own the single speed, and I can definitely tell the difference between a steel frame and an aluminum one. I don't know if I'd say one was better than the other, and steel is definitely heavier, but it has a response that you just have to experience. I love it. I was thiiiiiiiiis close to getting the All Road, but a lack of stock in my size and preferred color gave me time to think about adding a bike to the collection that wasn't much different in function than my Contend AR 3, especially when I considered that I'd probably have to upgrade the cassette and derailleur at some point.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

this whole bike bell thing has reminded me that one of my friends who rides a bike and is a non-roadie somehow got his hands a japanese electronic bell that says a very polite "excuse me" except its in japanese

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

nwin posted:

vikingstrike posted:

I prefer Purist bottles. Ive also been wanting to try the Bivo bottles.
I've had a couple of those and they are fine. I prefer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WOEU9S for capacity as I drink a lot of water. Recently I bought one of the bivo metal bottles and love it.

no skateboarding EVER! posted:

Yep, like 95% of the time. Also if they have a dog, the dog just interprets it as some large wheeled person rapidly heading straight towards them and yelling aggressively.
I generally think of pedestrians as a moving obstacle course. And really, I don't care if you are on the left, right, center, 2 abreast, whatever. Just leave enough room for me to get by and no sudden unpredictable movements.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 15, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

dema posted:

You've got a power meter but not a cycling computer? Or GPS watch that supports PMs? Curious.

Correct. Though maybe will change since I was mostly waiting for the *40 refresh to see how they are, but in general my phone is pretty good for rides up to ~6-7 hours so far 🤷🏻‍♂️.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ahh yes just what i needed for my whip

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

ahh yes just what i needed for my whip

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

numberoneposter posted:

might i recommend a de rosa anima

"That's a bit pricey but that's a gorgeous bike...FRAMESET ONLY oh my god."

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My wife hated bells for a long time for some reason. Never could figure out why, but she's come around eventually.
I'm a mumbler and people can't understand me even when I think I'm shouting loud enough to be understood. So an "on your left!" from me gets people turning around to their left, into my path, to try and figure out what I've said, by which point I'm right on top of them. A good piercing DING DING prompts an immediate shuffle to the right or wave that I've been heard most times.

Slavvy, I put my bell all the way up near my stem, and rotated back toward me. It's practically invisible, out of the way, and I can get my thumb to the striker by moving my hand inboard about 4 inches off the hood.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 15, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Bells are good because they give a general warning to everyone nearby that you’re coming, not just the person ahead of you you intend to pass.

There’s a section of my commute through a city centre, along a road with tram tracks, past the entrance to a major rail station. I very much don’t want people to step out in front of me, I don’t know who is going to do it and I can’t be shouting at everyone.

The bell also doesn’t reveal your current mood like shouting does after nearly hitting 3 loose dogs a minute earlier.

tildes posted:

Correct. Though maybe will change since I was mostly waiting for the *40 refresh to see how they are, but in general my phone is pretty good for rides up to ~6-7 hours so far 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Phones are fine for tracking when you’re starting out, but quickly become a hassle.
Your phone is too precious to have on your handlebars. It’s also a big lump to have on there.

The battery life with screen on is a worry if you’re using navigation to follow a route.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

numberoneposter posted:

this whole bike bell thing has reminded me that one of my friends who rides a bike and is a non-roadie somehow got his hands a japanese electronic bell that says a very polite "excuse me" except its in japanese

i want one that plays the first few seconds of that "aaaaaaow i feel good" song

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

wooger posted:

Phones are fine for tracking when you’re starting out, but quickly become a hassle.
Your phone is too precious to have on your handlebars. It’s also a big lump to have on there.

The battery life with screen on is a worry if you’re using navigation to follow a route.

Hm have people found that the smaller screen size is hard to adjust to for navigation to the point a bigger size feels worth it? The 840 does seem like a pretty good deal. It seems like the main difference between 540 and 840 is the touchscreen, and then between 840 and 1040 is mostly size (but 1040 is starting to feel excessive price wise). Plus a bit more storage with the 840 so you can store two regions it sounds like. Are there other differences people think would matter I am missing? A lot of these breakdowns are so detailed I sort of get a bit lost and I can’t figure out what I’d actually use.

E: also if anyone has thoughts on how to mount the garmin, curious there as well. Assume the stock one is probably good enough but if there’s a cooler or more integrated option I’m interested!

tildes fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 16, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

Just sprint at 50km/h and scream "NEEEURM!" as you whizz by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj5IGSb-W18

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Formula One Management is loving us out of videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I picked up an insinct2 because the old samsung fitness watch isn't going to work with speed & cadence sensors. If I pick up a bike-mounted computer later then it should be able to send heartrate info