Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AceClown posted:

Don't worry about that, update 9 is dropping any day now and it's going to include an enchantment table that lets you buy vanilla enchants so you no longer need a villager concentration camp

Oh, thank god. I never learned vanilla villager mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

AceClown posted:

Don't worry about that, update 9 is dropping any day now and it's going to include an enchantment table that lets you buy vanilla enchants so you no longer need a villager concentration camp

But I just spent like a hour getting my villagers sorted with good trades! :negative:

I am wondering what the best way to get emeralds for this junk is, I kinda don't feel like setting up an iron golem farm. I threw Fortune 3 on a hoe, but it doesn't seem to really help getting crops? Upon checking the wiki, only carrots and potatoes get boosted. Otherwise you just get a fuckload of seeds.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 14, 2023

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Echophonic posted:

But I just spent like a hour getting my villagers sorted with good trades! :negative:

I am wondering what the best way to get emeralds for this junk is, I kinda don't feel like setting up an iron golem farm. I threw Fortune 3 on a hoe, but it doesn't seem to really help getting crops? Upon checking the wiki, only carrots and potatoes get boosted. Otherwise you just get a fuckload of seeds.

Sticks->Emerald is often meta on servers

Or you can skip that part and cheat yourself a stack of emeralds

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, we basically agreed that we'd cheat to shortcut tedium, so fair enough there.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

FPzero posted:

I think I took that screenshot at around 7 days real time, but I've also spent a lot of time idling or just running around exploring or getting sidetracked. I'll bet others could play through it a faster than I have.

Also those walls are laboratory blocks from Chisel! Floors too.

Nice thank you. Was just trying to gauge time investment when I circle back around to it. Do you.run it on a server (for afk stuff to run while not on more so then playing with other people) or single.player?

Also Im glad you guys talked about turning off mobs. I was considering that when I go back to playing it but wasn't entirely sure on how much it impacted the spirit of the mod. Doesn't really seem like it does outside of needing a lot of mats but you can turn them back on later. I 100% know that if a creeper exploded.on my early base into a sphere of stone Id just quit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Nice thank you. Was just trying to gauge time investment when I circle back around to it. Do you.run it on a server (for afk stuff to run while not on more so then playing with other people) or single.player?

Also Im glad you guys talked about turning off mobs. I was considering that when I go back to playing it but wasn't entirely sure on how much it impacted the spirit of the mod. Doesn't really seem like it does outside of needing a lot of mats but you can turn them back on later. I 100% know that if a creeper exploded.on my early base into a sphere of stone Id just quit.

If you're playing solo I highly recommend installing FTBUtilities, you can turn on Chunk Claiming/Loading. Claimed chunks won't explode and you can shift or ctrl click claimed chunks to keep them loaded as well. Both will prevent creeper explosions, should also work for boiler explosions too but you seem to need to purposefully gently caress up a boiler to make it explode, just running out of water on its own won't do it, you have to add water to an already hot boiler.

The peaceful table does drop stuff from mobs but it's expensive, you need a vanilla sword (no tinkers swords) in a chest and it basically uses the sword like a player, so it will break whenever a vanilla sword normally breaks. I had an unbreaking iii iron sword from a dungeon and it did not last very long at all.
---
I should finally be finished with my stupid-rear end boiler setup tonight, I had less steel than I thought and accidentally making 18 extra liquid fueled fireboxes didn't help me any. I think it's pretty standard from the numbers I've read from other players on reddit when researching things, but having nine coke ovens all outputting from one redstone clock is the most proud I've felt on a minecraft build in a while. It's like GTNH always has a stupid hurdle to jump over, but when you clear that bullshit greg-shaped hurdle? That's the dopamine baybeee

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Holyshoot posted:

I play it on single player, use cheated-in admin anchor chunk loaders like the guidebook literally suggests if playing single, and then just idle using the inventory screen instead of the pause menu. Out of the roughly 170 hours I've played, maybe 10-15 have been idling and the rest just doing random things. I definitely took a long time setting up my EBF though because I wanted to get it right first time so I kept delaying and finding other tasks that were still related. Probably could've had it set up a good 20 hours earlier had I really focused on it.

Don't be afraid to mess with configs or use cheats if a task is getting too tedious for you. I set a rule for myself that I wanted to experience the pack and if I was getting frustrated with some early grind that I had already proven myself capable of doing, I would allow myself to cheat some stuff in. The Bricked Blast Furnace is the main one that comes to mind. It takes a lot of resources and effort to make your first BBF, and it's highly recommended that you create a 2x2 multiblock of them to quadruple your output, but that means making a lot more BBF materials and it's just a huge headache. Play the game your way and have fun with it!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

always ALWAYS use a backup mod in GTNH! there's a couple suggested on the GTNH wiki, I think I'm using aroma. sometimes you screw up, it's not fair to lose hours and hours (or days and days) of playtime to a momentary lapse. that happened to me the first time i got into EV. had finally gotten my AE2 storage set up, and was being very stupid and wrenched the wrong part of a powered up turbine. it was too close to my drives, i lost all my digital storage, and just quit because i forgot to reenable my backup mod after updating a while back. don't be like me.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

If you're playing solo I highly recommend installing FTBUtilities, you can turn on Chunk Claiming/Loading. Claimed chunks won't explode and you can shift or ctrl click claimed chunks to keep them loaded as well. Both will prevent creeper explosions, should also work for boiler explosions too but you seem to need to purposefully gently caress up a boiler to make it explode, just running out of water on its own won't do it, you have to add water to an already hot boiler.

The peaceful table does drop stuff from mobs but it's expensive, you need a vanilla sword (no tinkers swords) in a chest and it basically uses the sword like a player, so it will break whenever a vanilla sword normally breaks. I had an unbreaking iii iron sword from a dungeon and it did not last very long at all.
---
I should finally be finished with my stupid-rear end boiler setup tonight, I had less steel than I thought and accidentally making 18 extra liquid fueled fireboxes didn't help me any. I think it's pretty standard from the numbers I've read from other players on reddit when researching things, but having nine coke ovens all outputting from one redstone clock is the most proud I've felt on a minecraft build in a while. It's like GTNH always has a stupid hurdle to jump over, but when you clear that bullshit greg-shaped hurdle? That's the dopamine baybeee

Oh ya I'm well aware of this. I just prefer server since you can load the chunks and close the game out and it keeps going. Versus sitting in idle screen.

Hooplah posted:

always ALWAYS use a backup mod in GTNH! there's a couple suggested on the GTNH wiki, I think I'm using aroma. sometimes you screw up, it's not fair to lose hours and hours (or days and days) of playtime to a momentary lapse. that happened to me the first time i got into EV. had finally gotten my AE2 storage set up, and was being very stupid and wrenched the wrong part of a powered up turbine. it was too close to my drives, i lost all my digital storage, and just quit because i forgot to reenable my backup mod after updating a while back. don't be like me.

Also make sure it keeps multiple copies. The Create: Astral beyond modpack does back up but only keeps one copy. So when I hosed up my power setup for my three machines I couldn't get it back to how it was all super compact and the last backup I had was after I messed it up. Got the machines going again but not nearly as nice looking anymore. I have since then adjusted the amount of backups to 10 and probably need to change it from hourly to something shorter. Especially in create where it can be really hard to get all the cog wheels how they were if you mess up.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is this going to consume more biomes or just burn right there? Or is there a config I can adjust to keep it from spreading if it will. Don't have the resources to manually handle this.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Holyshoot posted:

Is this going to consume more biomes or just burn right there? Or is there a config I can adjust to keep it from spreading if it will. Don't have the resources to manually handle this.

If you've got cheats enabled on your world, you can always do /gamerule doFireTick false

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
The forced progression in twilight forest kinda sucks when your portal dumps you somewhere you're not supposed to be yet.

e: Oh this terrible biome ends a couple of blocks over, phew.

American Dad fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 15, 2023

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

Isn't that just oil? It won't go out, but the fire won't spread over nonflammable stuff. You can get rid of it by paving over the spout's hole (very carefully, if you don't have fire resist potions or backpack) and then stacking some sand from above to get rid of the vertical source blocks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's the mod that lets you place a block that makes specific chunks within a certain radius of it always active no matter how far you are from them? I had it in a previous install but forget what it is. I remember it being an enchant table-looking block with a little floating teal diamond on it, and you could toggle being able to see how far the radius of it was

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

what's the mod that lets you place a block that makes specific chunks within a certain radius of it always active no matter how far you are from them? I had it in a previous install but forget what it is. I remember it being an enchant table-looking block with a little floating teal diamond on it, and you could toggle being able to see how far the radius of it was

Chunk Loader mod iirc

don't think it's been updated in a while, most people use FTB Utils now where you open a map and claim/load the chunks you want to stay in memory

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AceClown posted:

Chunk Loader mod iirc

don't think it's been updated in a while, most people use FTB Utils now where you open a map and claim/load the chunks you want to stay in memory

Here's a 1-min tutorial on claiming/chunk loading in FTB Utils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNc6xhWXFsA

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Captain Invictus posted:

That particular one sounds like ChickenChunks, which looks like it's still being maintained, though I don't think I've seen it included in many packs recently.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/chicken-chunks-1-8

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I've officially graduated from having a few boilers sitting around for piecemal production, to a fully-functional creosote-powered boiler setup. I've also got all the parts I need to build a second low-pressure boiler to use up all of my charcoal that I'm putting together, but I'm saving that for another day when I don't feel quite so tired.

I started today off putting together 9 coke ovens, then I read a little bit into a new tab that unlocked and saw that the recommendation for self-sustaining tree->charcoal/creosote/->steam pipeline to take you through LV and into MV was 24 coke ovens :shepicide: I'm sitting pretty at 16 right now, with enough room to be able to expand that to 24 in my little mini factory setup. I've also got 3 5x7x5 iron tanks holding 2.8mil Water, Creosote, and Steam each currently being fed by the 16 coke ovens and 4 railcraft siding tanks sitting on top of everything as a rooftop water collection system piping down to everything else (60% humidity, so plenty of water to go around). The only things I need to do now are continue feeding logs into the system until I amass enough creosote to start the boiler tomorrow, then wire up a farm organizer to start piling in a bunch of wood automatically, and then building the second boiler so I can burn all the charcoal. I've also got to putz around with pipes when I get around to processing all my tin and stuff because the size of tin pipes I'm using right now for item transfer is slooooow. Everything's automatic except for me putting the logs into the barrels at the bottom of the whole process though!

WIP picture for now, I still need to tear down some old pieces, rip out more of the wall, and finish putting together the nether cobblestone I need since it's so plentiful to make and looks better than regular cobble. It is without exaggeration when I say this took me all day (partially because I tore down some of my stuff too early and ended up needing to rebuild a lovely piecemeal setup again so I could get enough screws and plates to make the third tank)

i will likely never clean up the floating leaves in the background, sue me

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
oh poo poo, labels

come see the horrors of my 300 unlabeled machines packed as closely as possible with cabling that requires the walls to be ripped out to upgrade

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

drat, nice. You're really into the spirit of the pack. I didn't feel like figuring out coke oven automation personally so I just kinda blundered my way through. It's fine, I'm swapping to Light Fuel and other non-steam power sources going forward. Looking forward to hearing how your EBF setup goes.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

oh poo poo, labels

come see the horrors of my 300 unlabeled machines packed as closely as possible with cabling that requires the walls to be ripped out to upgrade

That's just Better Barrels being Better Barrels. If you look down when you place the barrel, it lays down on its side with the label facing up. I was originally trying to figure out how to automate crops with a Redstone setup of some kind, so there's a 2 block high hollow area under the farmland where I intended to put hoppers or item pipes and pistons at some point, the idea being it would be transferred into the barrel somehow. That's all farming by hand.

I still haven't built a sign to label anything :v: and that's part of today's project, I have 20 chests scattered all around the village with random junk dumped into them. Today I'm getting the bending machine back up and running, hitting up my iron mine, and turning the whole first floor besides the Boiler area into an organized inventory area. There's seven item frames in the village, so i can Better label everything by the time I'm done

FPzero posted:

drat, nice. You're really into the spirit of the pack. I didn't feel like figuring out coke oven automation personally so I just kinda blundered my way through. It's fine, I'm swapping to Light Fuel and other non-steam power sources going forward. Looking forward to hearing how your EBF setup goes.

I'll let you know next year when I finally reach the EBF quest lol

e: I also stumbled onto a neat way to get electricity where I want it. I got a LV reward that is a LV solar panel, and I also got an LV Cadmium battery, as well as an LV battery buffer. I've discovered that I can slap the solar panel onto the battery buffer, toss the Cadmium battery inside, then attach it to a Rock Breaker that I'd like to use for making primarily Obsidian. With the Rock Breaker set to Circuit 1, it will never make cobble, only making Obsidian when I feed it Redstone. Whenever there is not Redstone in the machine, it will charge the battery buffer and the Cadmium battery with the solar panel. Next to this setup, I have a bloodwood tree that drops redstone whenever I break its branches, so my Obsidian production is held back only by how much redstone I have on hand, as well as occasionally waiting for a battery to recharge. I don't have *infinite* obsidian, but I have more obsidian than I will ever need to maintain/reinforce all of my tinker's tools. :peanut:

bawk fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 16, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

I've officially graduated from having a few boilers sitting around for piecemal production, to a fully-functional creosote-powered boiler setup. I've also got all the parts I need to build a second low-pressure boiler to use up all of my charcoal that I'm putting together, but I'm saving that for another day when I don't feel quite so tired.

I started today off putting together 9 coke ovens, then I read a little bit into a new tab that unlocked and saw that the recommendation for self-sustaining tree->charcoal/creosote/->steam pipeline to take you through LV and into MV was 24 coke ovens :shepicide: I'm sitting pretty at 16 right now, with enough room to be able to expand that to 24 in my little mini factory setup. I've also got 3 5x7x5 iron tanks holding 2.8mil Water, Creosote, and Steam each currently being fed by the 16 coke ovens and 4 railcraft siding tanks sitting on top of everything as a rooftop water collection system piping down to everything else (60% humidity, so plenty of water to go around). The only things I need to do now are continue feeding logs into the system until I amass enough creosote to start the boiler tomorrow, then wire up a farm organizer to start piling in a bunch of wood automatically, and then building the second boiler so I can burn all the charcoal. I've also got to putz around with pipes when I get around to processing all my tin and stuff because the size of tin pipes I'm using right now for item transfer is slooooow. Everything's automatic except for me putting the logs into the barrels at the bottom of the whole process though!

WIP picture for now, I still need to tear down some old pieces, rip out more of the wall, and finish putting together the nether cobblestone I need since it's so plentiful to make and looks better than regular cobble. It is without exaggeration when I say this took me all day (partially because I tore down some of my stuff too early and ended up needing to rebuild a lovely piecemeal setup again so I could get enough screws and plates to make the third tank)

i will likely never clean up the floating leaves in the background, sue me

Glad I read this. I just got my first water tank setup going and have 3 coke ovens but wanted to move them downstairs. Good to know I probably want more. As far as trees go not sure if you guys know but for anyone early game you can plant ic2 crop sticks and vanilla saplings and right click and it can give wood. Just harvested a 5x4 and got 74 wood.

Also planted a sacred oak a few chunks away from the base not realizing how big it gets. :laffo:. My gf spent like 2 to 3 hours clearing it all out. loving wild and I had thought of planting it closer.

Edit: Regarding your farm, do you just run down the plants harvesting and chuck it on the barrels? Also does trampling matter? Here is my setup for stuff I don't need a ton of. There is a chest in the center where I put each crop.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 17, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Glad I read this. I just got my first water tank setup going and have 3 coke ovens but wanted to move them downstairs. Good to know I probably want more. As far as trees go not sure if you guys know but for anyone early game you can plant ic2 crop sticks and vanilla saplings and right click and it can give wood. Just harvested a 5x4 and got 74 wood.

Also planted a sacred oak a few chunks away from the base not realizing how big it gets. :laffo:. My gf spent like 2 to 3 hours clearing it all out. loving wild and I had thought of planting it closer.

Edit: Regarding your farm, do you just run down the plants harvesting and chuck it on the barrels? Also does trampling matter? Here is my setup for stuff I don't need a ton of. There is a chest in the center where I put each crop.

I haven't trampled anything yet, I seem to trample stuff more on IC2 sticks than just crops in dirt, but yes i just right click as i walk down and then right click it into the barrel on the way back, i get about half a stack each growth time. I have four plots like that with plants that don't break when right clicked, Witchery stuff specifically breaks and has to be replanted. I've been doing veggie soup, stuffed eggplants, extra spicy chili, garden soup, some rice dish I don't remember, and one more thing I'm forgetting ATM for food restocks, about a stack apiece, using all veggies without any additional steps like flour/bread/etc.

Good tip on the saplings though! I just started doing that last night, and a 9x9 plot gets 5-6 stacks, but I can tell you right now that a boiler needs way more creosote than 8 coke ovens can make, and a single 9x9 plot of trees can't power more than 8 coke ovens at a time with automatic item input using GT pipes. It might be better once I get an auto farmer set up, but manually running that back and forth just can't keep up/fill up the hopper buffer. I basically started the boiler this morning after hitting 750,000 mb of creosote, been using it all day, still have 2.8mil mb of steam in the tank, and am going to need to disconnect the tank of creosote so it can fill up with creosote using whatever logs I have left tonight. Takes about an hour to hit 100 degrees and start producing steam, but it'll run all day after that.

Plant a redwood next :twisted:

E: I would actually recommend not messing with the big trees until you can get 16 Alumite to make a Tool Forge. You unlock the Tree Feller at that point in Tinker's, which lets you chop the very bottom of a big tree and break 3/4 of it in one go. If you pair that with a scythe, you can then break all the leaves on the bottom, leaving just some leftover logs that are high enough up to ignore. I've been doing that with Greatwood saplings and it gives about a stack and a half with very little effort and fairly fast regrowth time. Having to do that all with a regular axe takes a lot of time and depending how slow you move, logs might despawn by the time you get back down to ground level. It'd probably be easiest sticking to the tree farm and only felling the big trees in between harvests

bawk fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 17, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't know why but for some reason I can't use my flint and steel to set netherrack alight for my thaumcraft cauldron. For whatever reason it just won't set fire consistently anywhere and I have no clue what would cause such a thing. I'm playing single player and I haven't done anything weird to the world to my knowledge. Any ideas? Can I just use a lava source?

Edit: Well never mind, I just read up that flint and steel has a % chance to actually set fire and so I just kept clicking where I wanted it. That's a bit silly honestly. Thought my client was having an issue.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 17, 2023

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

bawk posted:

I haven't trampled anything yet, I seem to trample stuff more on IC2 sticks than just crops in dirt, but yes i just right click as i walk down and then right click it into the barrel on the way back, i get about half a stack each growth time. I have four plots like that with plants that don't break when right clicked, Witchery stuff specifically breaks and has to be replanted. I've been doing veggie soup, stuffed eggplants, extra spicy chili, garden soup, some rice dish I don't remember, and one more thing I'm forgetting ATM for food restocks, about a stack apiece, using all veggies without any additional steps like flour/bread/etc.

Good tip on the saplings though! I just started doing that last night, and a 9x9 plot gets 5-6 stacks, but I can tell you right now that a boiler needs way more creosote than 8 coke ovens can make, and a single 9x9 plot of trees can't power more than 8 coke ovens at a time with automatic item input using GT pipes. It might be better once I get an auto farmer set up, but manually running that back and forth just can't keep up/fill up the hopper buffer. I basically started the boiler this morning after hitting 750,000 mb of creosote, been using it all day, still have 2.8mil mb of steam in the tank, and am going to need to disconnect the tank of creosote so it can fill up with creosote using whatever logs I have left tonight. Takes about an hour to hit 100 degrees and start producing steam, but it'll run all day after that.

E: I would actually recommend not messing with the big trees until you can get 16 Alumite to make a Tool Forge. You unlock the Tree Feller at that point in Tinker's, which lets you chop the very bottom of a big tree and break 3/4 of it in one go. If you pair that with a scythe, you can then break all the leaves on the bottom, leaving just some leftover logs that are high enough up to ignore. I've been doing that with Greatwood saplings and it gives about a stack and a half with very little effort and fairly fast regrowth time. Having to do that all with a regular axe takes a lot of time and depending how slow you move, logs might despawn by the time you get back down to ground level. It'd probably be easiest sticking to the tree farm and only felling the big trees in between harvests

So the machine you want is the Crop Manager and it's a bit pricey (2 robot arms, a sensor, 2 scythe blades, input hatch, machine hull + circuits, so it's 5 circuits total and probably a stack of steel). However it will auto-harvest crops in an 11x11 field for a tiny amount of power (a single HP solar boiler + LV steam turbine can support 6 harvests per second, which is still 2/s when fully calcified. Absolute minimum speed is the entire 11x11 field every minute!). Just fill it with bonsai trees and you should get enough wood to supply your coke ovens. I have one running on my screaming fish farm and they're awesome.

Another random tip for the LV age is to get an arc furnace for annealed copper. It takes 3 amps to run so you either need a battery buffer or triple turbines. It also needs oxygen but there are multiple ways to get that in LV (centrifuge compressed air or electrolyze water). Annealed copper lets you make vacuum tubes and resistors twice as efficiently in the assembler. 1 steel rod + 1 glass tube + 1 annealed copper 1x wire and 1/8 an ingot of molten red alloy gets you 2 tubes which is MILES better than hand-crafting them. The recipe can be improved again at MV by using molten redstone alloy, a legally distinct metal from red alloy. As a bonus the arc furnace makes wrought iron super easily as well! It helps immensely to cut down the costs of circuits whenever you can.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

The tinkers axe that cuts it all in one go doesn't work on the sacred sapling which was hilarious reading on the discord after I planted it and it had grown already.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So the machine you want is the Crop Manager and it's a bit pricey (2 robot arms, a sensor, 2 scythe blades, input hatch, machine hull + circuits, so it's 5 circuits total and probably a stack of steel). However it will auto-harvest crops in an 11x11 field for a tiny amount of power (a single HP solar boiler + LV steam turbine can support 6 harvests per second, which is still 2/s when fully calcified. Absolute minimum speed is the entire 11x11 field every minute!). Just fill it with bonsai trees and you should get enough wood to supply your coke ovens. I have one running on my screaming fish farm and they're awesome.

Another random tip for the LV age is to get an arc furnace for annealed copper. It takes 3 amps to run so you either need a battery buffer or triple turbines. It also needs oxygen but there are multiple ways to get that in LV (centrifuge compressed air or electrolyze water). Annealed copper lets you make vacuum tubes and resistors twice as efficiently in the assembler. 1 steel rod + 1 glass tube + 1 annealed copper 1x wire and 1/8 an ingot of molten red alloy gets you 2 tubes which is MILES better than hand-crafting them. The recipe can be improved again at MV by using molten redstone alloy, a legally distinct metal from red alloy. As a bonus the arc furnace makes wrought iron super easily as well! It helps immensely to cut down the costs of circuits whenever you can.

Thanks for the tips! I have all the LV circuits I need, now all I have left is the steel for the arms and stuff which should be ready when I get home tonight. I'm going to need to drastically ramp up my BBF setup, and move it over to the platform I've got my coke ovens on. I never wanted to use charcoal to power the BBFs, but I've got several dozen stacks and nowhere else but a solid fuel boiler to put it in... :effort:

I also built the steam grinder last night, and it owns. I did two input hatches and two output hatches, drop 8 stacks of ore into it and it outputs to a Forge hammer that dumps into a chest so I can handwash until I build a washer. 6 nether furnaces lined up right nearby to toss it all into, cooking it with charcoal. I've got enough tin now to make all kinds of item pipes

E:

Holyshoot posted:

The tinkers axe that cuts it all in one go doesn't work on the sacred sapling which was hilarious reading on the discord after I planted it and it had grown already.

That's hilarious, tree too got drat big! Have you found a naturally occurring Sacred Forest biome yet? If not I will take some screenshots tonight, it's one thing to have the big-rear end tree out and about, it's another to see the whole biome out in front of you with several of them on the horizon. I've got one about 200-300 blocks south of my village. It's a huge pain in the rear end to navigate but it's pretty as hell.

bawk fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 17, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

Thanks for the tips! I have all the LV circuits I need, now all I have left is the steel for the arms and stuff which should be ready when I get home tonight. I'm going to need to drastically ramp up my BBF setup, and move it over to the platform I've got my coke ovens on. I never wanted to use charcoal to power the BBFs, but I've got several dozen stacks and nowhere else but a solid fuel boiler to put it in... :effort:

I also built the steam grinder last night, and it owns. I did two input hatches and two output hatches, drop 8 stacks of ore into it and it outputs to a Forge hammer that dumps into a chest so I can handwash until I build a washer. 6 nether furnaces lined up right nearby to toss it all into, cooking it with charcoal. I've got enough tin now to make all kinds of item pipes

E:

That's hilarious, tree too got drat big! Have you found a naturally occurring Sacred Forest biome yet? If not I will take some screenshots tonight, it's one thing to have the big-rear end tree out and about, it's another to see the whole biome out in front of you with several of them on the horizon. I've got one about 200-300 blocks south of my village. It's a huge pain in the rear end to navigate but it's pretty as hell.

I have not. I do however have Mica near my base which is apparently a rare node and needed a little later for me. Is there another lava method further down the line or is my only option running lava in buckets to my smelter? I do have four iron buckets so I filled up the smelter then just threw the rest on the wall. I absolutely love the ability to just throw whatever up on any block and it becomes its own item frame. Also I'm Holyshoot (with the handbanana avatar) on the GTNH discord if you want to chat it up for quicker responses there as well.

Edit: Is it normal for a mining vein chunk to bleed into others slightly. Here is my mining more or less based on the ore blocks I found.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 17, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

I have not. I do however have Mica near my base which is apparently a rare node and needed a little later for me. Is there another lava method further down the line or is my only option running lava in buckets to my smelter? I do have four iron buckets so I filled up the smelter then just threw the rest on the wall. I absolutely love the ability to just throw whatever up on any block and it becomes its own item frame. Also I'm Holyshoot (with the handbanana avatar) on the GTNH discord if you want to chat it up for quicker responses there as well.

Edit: Is it normal for a mining vein chunk to bleed into others slightly. Here is my mining more or less based on the ore blocks I found.

Lava can wait until the Nether, you should see a steam age quest eventually that, upon completing, gives you 16 obsidian to build a portal with. Then you can find the nearest lava lake and build a path down to it (or, if you're playing solo, just write down your coordinates and /tp back to a few blocks from your portal) and fill up some buckets that way. There's ways to do dollies to take tanks back and forth, but I'm not sure how those work with dimensional travel. I'm also wondering if a filing cabinet would work, but I haven't done much testing with that yet. It's just convenient because you can break it and pick it up, it retains its inventory like a shulker box.

Ore veins tend to be a bit bigger than advertised, but not by too much. I have a Mica vein east of my spawn about 16 chunks away, and that one is a cavern that's a huge pain in the rear end to navigate with branching paths all over filled with the blue ore that starts with a K, I forget what it's called. I was using it as a source of Cassiterite for Tin, not realizing that Cassiteite Sand is a *way* better source, but it goes all the way over to overlap with the nearby Magnetite vein i have, so I'd guess you can still see a smattering of ore depending on worldgen for caves and oregen for that particular vein up to a chunk and a half away. I'm guessing it has a set number of ores it wants to put in that vein, and the more empty space in that chunk the wider it will spread that out so it stays around the same Y level for the ores without screwing you out of too many materials.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In my experience ore veins tend to be a rough 3x3 chunk radius. It's unlikely that they'll truly overlap but you may find them very close to each other depending on which veins spawn at what height. Also yeah do your best to locate a Mica vein, you'll need it for EBF coils eventually. Doesn't take a ton of Mica to make the coils you need thankfully and for your first cupronickel coils there is a substitute more expensive recipe using alumino wool.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ore veins in the overworld look like this.

They can vary as to their length and width, but they are always rectangular and always 9 levels deep (unless they get cut off by terrain features or spawn too high up and get cut off.) With a little practice, it's easy to figure out the exact dimensions of a vein just by digging out the top layer, even without the benefit of an LuV+ electric prospector's scanner.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

Lava can wait until the Nether, you should see a steam age quest eventually that, upon completing, gives you 16 obsidian to build a portal with. Then you can find the nearest lava lake and build a path down to it (or, if you're playing solo, just write down your coordinates and /tp back to a few blocks from your portal) and fill up some buckets that way. There's ways to do dollies to take tanks back and forth, but I'm not sure how those work with dimensional travel. I'm also wondering if a filing cabinet would work, but I haven't done much testing with that yet. It's just convenient because you can break it and pick it up, it retains its inventory like a shulker box.

Ore veins tend to be a bit bigger than advertised, but not by too much. I have a Mica vein east of my spawn about 16 chunks away, and that one is a cavern that's a huge pain in the rear end to navigate with branching paths all over filled with the blue ore that starts with a K, I forget what it's called. I was using it as a source of Cassiterite for Tin, not realizing that Cassiteite Sand is a *way* better source, but it goes all the way over to overlap with the nearby Magnetite vein i have, so I'd guess you can still see a smattering of ore depending on worldgen for caves and oregen for that particular vein up to a chunk and a half away. I'm guessing it has a set number of ores it wants to put in that vein, and the more empty space in that chunk the wider it will spread that out so it stays around the same Y level for the ores without screwing you out of too many materials.

Teleporting works? Or is this a cheat thing more or less?

I still don't understand the veins well outside of finding them and then I just keep going until I stop seeing ore (it never stops lmao) or run out of torches. I'm sure it will get easier to see when I have a hammer. I thought I was close to it when I got my smeltery going then realized I need to build a steam machine and some other stuff so I got a boat load copper and some tin and will do that. I really want a hammer so I can form up my base some more and not just have everything outside beyond my storage and smeltery.

Got 3 water tanks going and thought I could keep them even with connected tanks (not a thing) and wasted a lot of my wrench figuring out the pipes. Kind of annoyed durability gets used when you do that because pipe management is finicky.

One last question. When the silver tree converts the area it's in to 60% humidity do you have to keep the log with the hole in it in tact or can you get rid of it?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Holyshoot posted:

One last question. When the silver tree converts the area it's in to 60% humidity do you have to keep the log with the hole in it in tact or can you get rid of it?

You should keep it intact because the hole contains an aura node which will eventually be useful to Thaumcraft. Destroying the log destroys the node inside.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FPzero posted:

You should keep it intact because the hole contains an aura node which will eventually be useful to Thaumcraft. Destroying the log destroys the node inside.

I've extremely regretted doing this to clear room for my factory but it was a necessary evil. This is pure speculation/bias/probably just good luck, but whenever I knock one down I feel like I get better than a 1/256 chance for a sapling to drop if I use the Scythe that's recommended in the questbook, so I still have 3 to plant where/when I want to.

As promised, here's the Sacred Forest from earlier! It's very pretty in the sunshine. My graphics card hated this, I cranked it to 32 chunk render distance lol

and this is the waypoint I have marked on my map as "big fuckin redwood", see the oak tree in the foreground for sense of scale. That tree is *twofour blocks* closer.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

bawk posted:

I've extremely regretted doing this to clear room for my factory but it was a necessary evil. This is pure speculation/bias/probably just good luck, but whenever I knock one down I feel like I get better than a 1/256 chance for a sapling to drop if I use the Scythe that's recommended in the questbook, so I still have 3 to plant where/when I want to.

As promised, here's the Sacred Forest from earlier! It's very pretty in the sunshine. My graphics card hated this, I cranked it to 32 chunk render distance lol

and this is the waypoint I have marked on my map as "big fuckin redwood", see the oak tree in the foreground for sense of scale. That tree is *twofour blocks* closer.

Time for you to make a tree house base

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just unlocked the MV Extruder and it's like I'm having a religious experience seeing how much better ratios for component crafting this thing gives me. 2 rods per ingot? 8:1 bolts? 1:1 small gears? I'm in machining heaven over here :science:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
MV is definitely the beginning of really pushing for mass automation which will remain a theme for much of the pack.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The coke farm is operational! :woop:

I switched from Oak to Spruce to filter out Apples as a junk item, and because Spruce is supposed to give more wood according to the quest book. I was able to build the LV Crop Manager, wire it up to my steam turbine, hook it up to some larger tin pipes with some conveyors to move stacks faster than hoppers do, and it is currently filing up my coke ovens faster than they can possibly hope to burn. Now all that's left is to make 8 more coke ovens, set them up to input into the same system, and get it all running 24x7.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

bawk posted:

Apologies, which mod is this? And how do I get a sacred oak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Qubee posted:

Apologies, which mod is this? And how do I get a sacred oak

Gregtech New Horizons, although the sacred oak is actually just from Biomes O Plenty AFAIK. There's lots of cool biomes in that specific mod and it's nice just wandering around looking at stuff. I've found Mesas, Cherry forests, the Sacred Forest mod I put a picture of earlier, lots of neat stuff.