Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I mean there's scenarios where you probably want companies to be able to have some say in this so you don't have people posting guides on how to crash everyone else's game in splatoon 3 or something.

but it sucks nintendo uses these powers for lovely reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I mean there's scenarios where you probably want companies to be able to have some say in this so you don't have people posting guides on how to crash everyone else's game in splatoon 3 or something.

but it sucks nintendo uses these powers for lovely reasons.

Pretty much every company does. My own personal bugbear is how lovely it is that companies can punish people for streaming legitimately purchased copies of games before their release date. (And of course I understand the logic, they don't want to encourage people to start getting early copies and spoiling everything for internet clout despite that already happening.)

(Well, my top bugbear is how FAQs and guides have been replaced by partitioned off Discord serves but that's something else entirely.)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking for a recommendation for someone who previously very much enjoyed:

Animal Crossing
Stardew Valley
Dredge

Going to go ahead and say nothing anime/VN, and things that require a ton of manipulation of the right stick for camera movement or quick reactions to things. No shooters or fighting games. Anything creative and lighthearted/fun is probably the best bet. Thanks goons.

Subnautica, but get it on the PC if you can for mods, otherwise Switch version is mostly fine.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I mean yes, it is unarguably lovely, but it is also the world that exists and acting shocked and surprised every time companies pull copyright strikes is kind of silly.

I can assure you that absolutely nobody is shocked or surprised

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much every company does. My own personal bugbear is how lovely it is that companies can punish people for streaming legitimately purchased copies of games before their release date. (And of course I understand the logic, they don't want to encourage people to start getting early copies and spoiling everything for internet clout despite that already happening.)

(Well, my top bugbear is how FAQs and guides have been replaced by partitioned off Discord serves but that's something else entirely.)
I mean, it sucks when a big new title gets spoiled cause someone was able to get Joe Mom and Pop Video games to break street date. I think it'd be unreasonable for companies to punish people for playing before street date, but I don't think "dont stream before release day" is too much to ask.

But what's lame is the companies that extend "spoiler style" policy well past street date and pretty much go after any footage of certain games or have really prohibitive rules with what you can stream/record and can''t. I think Atlus is particularly lame about this?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 15, 2023

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Oxyclean posted:

But what's lame is the companies that extend "spoiler style" policy well past street date and pretty much go after any footage of certain games or have really prohibitive rules with what you can stream/record and can''t. I think Atlus is particularly lame about this?

I've seen a few Atlus titles that had those rules for Twitch for at least 6 months post launch. I think one game might have gone for a full year. But I'm not too sure on that part. They're the weirdest ones. I've also had PS4 games that would eventually patch to remove the "screen cannot be recorded" segments in games. They woudl be everywhere in soem games. But I would play them again years later and notice they were just missing now.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Oh hey, those old FF Remasters are finally coming to Switch and they even made the fonts look better and whhhhyYY THE gently caress IS IT $100 CANADIAN JESUS

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hrist posted:

I've seen a few Atlus titles that had those rules for Twitch for at least 6 months post launch. I think one game might have gone for a full year. But I'm not too sure on that part. They're the weirdest ones. I've also had PS4 games that would eventually patch to remove the "screen cannot be recorded" segments in games. They woudl be everywhere in soem games. But I would play them again years later and notice they were just missing now.

a lot of atlus games have those rules but I'm pretty sure that by and large they weren't enforced in any meaningful sense.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Motto posted:

a lot of atlus games have those rules but I'm pretty sure that by and large they weren't enforced in any meaningful sense.
I recall there was apparently a time they were taking down streams/lets plays of the Persona games so a bunch of people just didn't bother since it wasn't worth the risk.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Oh hey, those old FF Remasters are finally coming to Switch and they even made the fonts look better and whhhhyYY THE gently caress IS IT $100 CANADIAN JESUS

it's remastered six games, if you don't want the first three or something then just don't buy them

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looper posted:

it's remastered six games, if you don't want the first three or something then just don't buy them

I think even the first three(especially the first, it's just fun to play through) will be pretty dang playable with these features:

Turn off random encounters: Sometimes you just want to explore in peace, so a feature in the Pixel Remaster games lets you turn off random encounters completely. This means you can roam the world without being harassed by monsters. That also means you won’t get stronger, so be careful how you use it…

Adjust experience: Speaking of getting stronger, want to speed things up a little? Boost features let you adjust the experience gained by up to four times. Perfect if you want an easier run through the games.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Oxyclean posted:

I recall there was apparently a time they were taking down streams/lets plays of the Persona games so a bunch of people just didn't bother since it wasn't worth the risk.

Yeah, Persona 5 was the first time I remember this popping up in a major way. A quick Google tells me they apparently gave very few fucks when it came to streaming the recent P3 and P4 ports, at least.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think even the first three(especially the first, it's just fun to play through) will be pretty dang playable with these features:

Turn off random encounters: Sometimes you just want to explore in peace, so a feature in the Pixel Remaster games lets you turn off random encounters completely. This means you can roam the world without being harassed by monsters. That also means you won’t get stronger, so be careful how you use it…

Adjust experience: Speaking of getting stronger, want to speed things up a little? Boost features let you adjust the experience gained by up to four times. Perfect if you want an easier run through the games.

And if you can speed up fights even better.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can't use the screenshot function at all in late game segments of Persona/SMT games on the Nintendo Switch, which has me mildly peeved whenever I want to record a neat animation or good quote for my own personal album. :mad:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can't use the screenshot function at all in late game segments of Persona/SMT games on the Nintendo Switch, which has me mildly peeved whenever I want to record a neat animation or good quote for my own personal album. :mad:

Persona 5 blocked certain scenes from being recordered on the ps4 as well, it's weird I'd never seen a game block specific segments like that before

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

And if you can speed up fights even better.

Yeah that is already a feature as well as auto battle where it repeats your previous actions. Those were already in the steam and mobile release.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

beer gas canister posted:

Use the corners as safe spots. Iirc crouching/balling in the corner protects from most attacks

Make a save state afterword, before you leave the room!!

When you get back out into the Reactor room, drop down the to the bottom-right corner before doing anything else. There's a Save Station there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Potassium Problems posted:

I hope nintendo continues its holy crusade to obliterate youtube thumbnail people

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remembering thinking that Ganondorf was the dumbest loving name when I first played OoT.

I still kind of think it sucks.

It does kind of make it sound as though he might be from Düsseldorf :D

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bofast posted:

probably not entirely wrong with this, like isn't a lot of LoZ stuff based on old German folklore?

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bofast posted:

he was born in dusseldorf and that is why they call him ganon

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

saladscooper posted:

he was born in dusseldorf and that is why they call him ganon

Springtime for Hylia

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How is the Potion Permit game?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was just a simple horseman riding through the sand and
Got a triforce from Demise who told me I was Ganon
Gerudo were blue
What oh what to do
Picked up my sword
And grabbed my horde
Now Hyrule's shining through

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I just finished finished mario Odyssey so I can lend it to a friend who recently got a switch when I fly back to the UK next week

I expected darker side to be harder although I did gently caress up on the poky beak flippy bird section a few times

Also if you wanna make yourself feel super sick then try out the VR goggle mode without VR goggles and just crossing your eyes like you're viewing a stereographic image :thumbsup:

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 15, 2023

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
If I were only going to play one mega man battle network, which one should it be?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FiestaDePantalones posted:

If I were only going to play one mega man battle network, which one should it be?
either 2 or 3

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have fond memories of mega man battle network, and I'm sure they're wrong. I bet they're really mid

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Augus posted:

either 2 or 3

2 had the most broken combos, 3 is more balanced.

I don't remember what the level design was like in 2, but 3 had so much loving backtracking and reusing of areas that it's absurd.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ha ha I only want FFVI, so it's only ca. 17 european union bucks for me

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The only ones worth getting are 4 and 6. 5, if you're into Four Job Fiesta.

Save your money.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

probably not entirely wrong with this, like isn't a lot of LoZ stuff based on old German folklore?

Celtic mythology, I believe, but the Japanese seem quite fond of highly stereotyped German/Austrian medieval fantasy characters to the point where it could have some impact as well.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Save your money.

Was 3 the one where red mages were a bit unbalanced, as in being almost as good at both melee and black/white magic as more specialized classes?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They should remake Final Fantasy 4(DS) in the HD-2D style

Give me FF4DS2DHDR

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Bofast posted:

Was 3 the one where red mages were a bit unbalanced, as in being almost as good at both melee and black/white magic as more specialized classes?

Yeah but apparently they re balanced the Pixel Remasters a bit so stuff like that doesn't happen anymore. That being said it's still based on the orignal versions so Ninja/Sage and are still blatantly better then most other classes (except for Onion Knight if you are crazy enough to grind that out), but go back to being locked until right before the final dungeon.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

2 or 3 are good but 6 is my pick for most polished, fun Battle Network. I also enjoy 5 but it's not anywhere near the best. 1 and 4 are not worth playing much--1 is just a snooze, and 4 is bad, though I heard they had some minor improvements for 4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah but apparently they re balanced the Pixel Remasters a bit so stuff like that doesn't happen anymore. That being said it's still based on the orignal versions so Ninja/Sage and are still blatantly better then most other classes (except for Onion Knight if you are crazy enough to grind that out), but go back to being locked until right before the final dungeon.

Ninja is still the best physical class but Sage is kind of a sidegrade in PR

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bofast posted:

Three was the boring 3d one with slowdown whenever there were four npcs on screen at the same time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mister Facetious posted:

Save your money.

they're all worth getting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just finished finished mario Odyssey so I can lend it to a friend who recently got a switch when I fly back to the UK next week

I expected darker side to be harder although I did gently caress up on the poky beak flippy bird section a few times

Also if you wanna make yourself feel super sick then try out the VR goggle mode without VR goggles and just crossing your eyes like you're viewing a stereographic image :thumbsup:

You can completely skip the bird part if you hit all three cyclones in the glide section and just soar all the way over the gap to the far end.