Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

lih posted:

the last of us is an extremely cpu-intensive game on pc due to being a pretty poor port, so it's going to benefit the most from having a top-end cpu like the 7800x3d.

what you're describing sounds like you're seeing the benefits of the 7800x3d's giant cache in particular though.
How much of TLoU's terrible performance can be blamed on it being originally written to use every last trick available to Cell? The PS4 is x86 and ran it fine nearly ten years ago, so you'd think PCs could run it with sheer brute force by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shumagorath posted:

How much of TLoU's terrible performance can be blamed on it being originally written to use every last trick available to Cell? The PS4 is x86 and ran it fine nearly ten years ago, so you'd think PCs could run it with sheer brute force by now.

I’m pretty sure it’s a from the ground up remake.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shumagorath posted:

I feel like this post was probably bait, but it's a full remake on a different engine.

TLoU 2022 is a game that specifically targeted the PS5s new features instead of being a cross generation game, and then the PC port seems to have been phoned in and they try to make up for the lack of those features by just keeping tons of data in RAM and VRAM.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
naughty dog were gonna have to make an engine that works for ps5/pc for the future at some point, and tlou1 ended up being the test case for it. the multiplayer game probably uses the same engine, and given how big of a bet it is, it's probably good that this game released first to sort out the kings

and then there's tlou2 when that comes out for pc

if anything, they're hamstrung by the reliance on the ps5's ability to stream data, and i guess directstorage wasn't ready to come to the rescue

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I feel like this post was probably bait, but it's a full remake on a different engine.
Oh it's not bait; I haven't followed the series very closely and had no idea.

kliras posted:

if anything, they're hamstrung by the reliance on the ps5's ability to stream data, and i guess directstorage wasn't ready to come to the rescue
That's kinda funny given what Naughty Dog used to be able to do streaming straight off optical. Uncharted on PS3 didn't even need an install (or had a very small one).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 15, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
hopefully one day we'll get the bts on what the hell actually went wrong with the port (aside from all the crunch)

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

kliras posted:

hopefully one day we'll get the bts on what the hell actually went wrong with the port (aside from all the crunch)

It's not a good period for PC games (that are cross platforms) and most games get released too early with bugs but the timeline of The Last of Us release can't be a coincidence with it coming at about the same time as the TV show which is based on that first game in the series. If it gets the Horizon : Zero Dawn treatment and gets fixed properly on PC, it will end up being pretty good on PC but it doesn't excuse paying 93$Cnd (79.99$ + taxes where I live) for a broken mess at launch when it's backed by mega studios and mega corporations. I'm surprised it didn't get the 89.99$Cnd pricing (that's our next gen pricing on your 69.99$us) which totals at 104$Cnd here.

Also on a related notes on prices, I'm looking from time to time for 4090 on Newegg and Amazon and there's never anything in stock besides the ultra overpriced special editions or water cooled, etc... And Zotac and sometimes maybe MSI. The 4090 seems to start at 2200$Cnd here but I pretty much never see anything under 2800$Cnd. I looked at the 4070 just to be curious and it ends up being like 900$Cnd (so add almost 150$ for taxes here). Maybe it's a good thing it's still vaporware for me with no access to any kind of physical stores.

Are you guys all in the US when you're saying 4090 are everywhere?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Hemish posted:

It's not a good period for PC games (that are cross platforms) and most games get released too early with bugs but the timeline of The Last of Us release can't be a coincidence with it coming at about the same time as the TV show which is based on that first game in the series. If it gets the Horizon : Zero Dawn treatment and gets fixed properly on PC, it will end up being pretty good on PC but it doesn't excuse paying 93$Cnd (79.99$ + taxes where I live) for a broken mess at launch when it's backed by mega studios and mega corporations. I'm surprised it didn't get the 89.99$Cnd pricing (that's our next gen pricing on your 69.99$us) which totals at 104$Cnd here.

i suspect it would still be a bad port even if it wasnt rushed out the door for the tv show. the shader compilation nonsense just screams "we hyperoptimized for our platform of choice and let the contractors worry about the ports"

not a lot of game devs work with cross-platform in mind from the start

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Taima posted:

does the DDR5 help? Does it help FPS or make the system more snappy, or both? How much is AM5 doing, how much is the DDR5 doing and how much is the cpu doing? Does the PCIE 5.0 help on the 4090? Does the gen 5 SSD support help? Probably not, right- I use a SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB which is only a gen 4 drive.
DDR5 can help a bit. Well tuned it can give ~10% performance or so depending on the game at 1440p. For 4K it'll help a lot less. PCIe 5 doesn't do much of anything to help the GPU vs PCIe 4 for gaming. Neither does having a PCIe 5 SSD. I think having a PCIe 3 Optane SSD would matter more for gaming and typical desktop stuff.

Its mostly going to come down to the extra cache. Zen 4 does have a pretty decent IPC uplift over Zen 3 too though. ~13% improvement so that'll help as well.

And yeah it feels like a big upgrade for lots of things. I do BOINC/distributed computing sometimes and man those numbers are going up by quite a bit in some cases. Every game feels incredibly smooth and fast vs my 5900X. The power and heat use is noticeably lower too. I don't think I've gone over 90w even while number crunching.

It was expensive to upgrade to due to the mobo but I plan to keep it through Zen 5. I think AMD has said so far they'll support AM5 until 2025 or so. That might change but it sounds like it'll good for 1-2 upgrades if I so choose.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 15, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
horizon had the benefit of guerilla taking over the port from ni-whatstheirface, whereas i think the tlou port was basically already in naughty dog's lap, regardless of how much people want to pin everything on iron galaxy

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

iron galaxy ported the same engine to PC for the uncharted collection and did a much better job of it than naughty dogs attempt with TLOU, which was ironically blamed on iron galaxy

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, Iron Galaxy's name and logo appear on some marketing materials for TLOU. I think Naughty Dog may have used a lot of IG's work when porting TLOU because some same mistakes are present in both, including the same bad machine translation for the german localization of the shader compilation process (it translates "building" into the german word for the noun "building")

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently the raytracing options have been removed from RE2make and RE3make (??)

they're still shipping the DX12 versions but RT is gone as of the latest patches

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they were a part of an update that had some weird performance regressions much past launch, perhaps in attempt to migrate the whole franchise to dx12. sounds like that's what's getting rolled back, perhaps to bring it in line with something re4 is doing. no one really enables raytracing in re games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJICLXaHEs

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1540697768963936259

basically a "next-gen" update that ... didn't run well on next-gen

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 15, 2023

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

steckles posted:

Regarding path tracing, I don't know that we're going to see a true path tracing focused GPU until we start getting hundreds of megabytes of L2 and like a gigabyte of L3 cache standard. Even if you could make ray queries free, it wouldn't gain a gigantic amount of performance on current architectures because of memory thrashing.

Paul MaudDib posted:

But cache isn't going to shrink much between 6nm and 3nm, but logic is. And so all that SM complexity is going to get a lot cheaper, while cache isn't going to get much better in the meantime.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I wonder if spilling favors L1/L2 or L3 - NVIDIA chose the former and AMD chose the latter. I’m guessing nvidia probably needed some extra for Shader Execution Reordering to work, perhaps a reason they went with that over an L3.
Angstromonics wrote about the possibility of RDNA3 including extra stacks of L3 cache. AMD didn't think it was worth it for 3 stacks, but possibly that's with a raster-only workload. They may have a longer term plan for RT that banks on extra L3 being the key. Or maybe stacking L2 is simply impractical so they've no other choice.

One thing that might help with cache not shrinking anymore is that any 3D cache chiplets can be made on older nodes like N5. Presumably the cost will drop as newer nodes take over on the logic side of things.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Hemish posted:

Also on a related notes on prices, I'm looking from time to time for 4090 on Newegg and Amazon and there's never anything in stock besides the ultra overpriced special editions or water cooled, etc... And Zotac and sometimes maybe MSI. The 4090 seems to start at 2200$Cnd here but I pretty much never see anything under 2800$Cnd. I looked at the 4070 just to be curious and it ends up being like 900$Cnd (so add almost 150$ for taxes here). Maybe it's a good thing it's still vaporware for me with no access to any kind of physical stores.

Are you guys all in the US when you're saying 4090 are everywhere?

On Canadacomputers.com I see 4090s available for $2200 and 4070s for $800. The 4090s however are only available in certain stores, but the 4070s are in stock and shipping :shrug:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kliras posted:

horizon had the benefit of guerilla taking over the port from ni-whatstheirface, whereas i think the tlou port was basically already in naughty dog's lap, regardless of how much people want to pin everything on iron galaxy
That’s even weirder assuming you mean Nixxes; they’ve done a lot of good work.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's the other way around, the HZD port was originally done by virtuos then it was handed over to nixxes to salvage it with updates

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

It's always nice when some clickbait thumbnail shows up on my feed to remind me how much hardware enthusiast journalism sucks.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's like the zoomer equivalent of wordart at this point

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

It's always nice when some clickbait thumbnail shows up on my feed to remind me how much hardware enthusiast journalism sucks.

AMD SAID WHAT?!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kramjacks posted:

Graphics driver sucked me off?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
at least they feel enough shame to not show their face

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

at least they feel enough shame to not show their face

:wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqvzHLjPBD4

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
THEY HAVE 300K SUBS?!

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

This guy has a lot of balls predicting that the RTX 5090 will have big performance. He's taking a big risk and could end up with egg on his face!

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

it'd be interesting to see whether OFA could improve this at all. Being able to have some raw "draw poo poo here" metrics would be great. Although I guess at a certain level of detail the heatmaps don't have to be GPU accelerated at all.
Eh, there have been a billion attempts at using feedback to drive path samples, but they're usually more complicated and don't perform as well as path-space methods that just shoot rays where the signal is bright. The original Primary Sample Space Metropolis Light Transport paper was released 21 years ago and is still one of the simplest and most effective path guiding methods for most scenes. I believe there's an extension that applies Population Monte Carlo techniques I don't really understand, but it makes it play nice with GPUs.

There's also been a ton of work on path guiding by basically storing an octree of directions where the signal is bright. It's super simple and probably wouldn't be hard to extend to big fat ray bundles, but it's also one of those highly async methods that would need a rethink of how presented frames and light transport work together. Realistically though, an algorithm that focuses on shooting as many dumb rays as possible rather than trying to be clever is probably gonna work better for games in the long run.

Paul MaudDib posted:

it seems like there's some fairly enlightening questions like "what is the number of BVH regions behind this raster region/space voxel/OFA motion estimation group" or "what is the average depth of rays shot in this region" that could guide LOD tuning too. Yes you can compute it but being like "yo there's a chunky thing at X but there's nothing ahead/behind" or even just "the time spent in this region is out of control" are relevant info for building an optimal tree.
Optimal BVH construction is an open problem and the difference between an okay tree for a scene vs a good one can be huge. Clever heuristics can help, but they introduce corner cases and pathological behaviour that can just as easily make things worse. The linear bounding volume hierarchy algorithms used by GPUs are focused on multithreaded build speed rather than quality and it's directly affecting RT performance on all architectures. Characters and moving stuff obviously still needs to be dynamically computed, but there's no reason why a developer shouldn't be able to spend 48 hours generating the optimal tree for static level geometry and ship that. Like I said earlier, the fact that that's missing from the current APIs is a huge misstep.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The nanite guy has got the right idea though this isn't a "rebuild every frame" or even every N frames, you should rebalance it based on where poo poo's happening and where rays need a better performance level of both detail and sampling.
Yeah, in the same way that Nanite was a fundamental rethink of how geometry should work, the next generation of ray tracing is going to have to follow a similar frameless approach. That's why I think encoding RT results on micropolygons and shooting rays completely separately from scene presentation would be an interesting thing to try.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

steckles posted:

Characters and moving stuff obviously still needs to be dynamically computed, but there's no reason why a developer shouldn't be able to spend 48 hours generating the optimal tree for static level geometry and ship that. Like I said earlier, the fact that that's missing from the current APIs is a huge misstep.

the console APIs do allow developers to cook BVHes ahead of time, i wonder if they're already taking advantage of the fact that they can spend much more time on BVH refinement than is practical on PC

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

repiv posted:

the console APIs do allow developers to cook BVHes ahead of time, i wonder if they're already taking advantage of the fact that they can spend much more time on BVH refinement than is practical on PC

I recall reading somewhere that Epic did that for their Matrix thingy on the consoles.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah that's about the extent of what's publicly known about the console RT APIs, but in principle they should be able to expose a lot more of the nitty gritty details since they have a fixed hardware target. directly exposing the raw BVH representation ought to be on the table, which could enable console-exclusive tricks like streaming in sub-trees at arbitrary depth on the fly. maybe they could do nanite-style fine-grained cluster streaming while PC is stuck flipping between discrete LODs.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

repiv posted:

yeah that's about the extent of what's publicly known about the console RT APIs, but in principle they should be able to expose a lot more of the nitty gritty details since they have a fixed hardware target. directly exposing the raw BVH representation ought to be on the table, which could enable console-exclusive tricks like streaming in sub-trees at arbitrary depth on the fly. maybe they could do nanite-style fine-grained cluster streaming while PC is stuck flipping between discrete LODs.
We know from the published RDNA ISA docs that the ray/box intersection instructions just take a bunch of texture coordinates. Combined with PRT, you should be able to do some pretty zany stuff for streaming huge acceleration structures on console. Of course, that'd probably just make the current wave of appalling PC console ports even worse.

NVidia is a bit more cagey about their low-level architecture, but I'd be shocked if they didn't have similar functionality for dynamically loading BVH data. Maybe what's holding it back on PC is the lack of an agreed upon binary BVH format.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

repiv posted:

iron galaxy ported the same engine to PC for the uncharted collection and did a much better job of it than naughty dogs attempt with TLOU, which was ironically blamed on iron galaxy

well, a key difference is the uncharted collection was originally ps4 games that were ported to ps5 with only minor graphical enhancements before being ported to pc, while the last of us is a ground-up ps5 remake that makes heavy use of the ps5's hardware decompression pipeline

that seems to be one of the key reasons it's so cpu intensive - to match the ps5's asset streaming & decompression they seem to have just burdened the cpu with all that work that it didn't have on the ps5. there are almost certainly more efficient/pc-friendly ways they could have implemented it, and directstorage (which they didn't use) is supposed to help with that problem to some extent, but that would have all been more work and this was clearly a very rushed port.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Former Human posted:

This guy has a lot of balls predicting that the RTX 5090 will have big performance. He's taking a big risk and could end up with egg on his face!

I mean at the rate we're going they'll call the xx70-tier an xx90-tier so...

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

repiv posted:

apparently the raytracing options have been removed from RE2make and RE3make (??)

they're still shipping the DX12 versions but RT is gone as of the latest patches

RT on was causing crashing every few minutes for a ton of people, myself included. The official solution was to turn down options until you were below the VRAM limit including a few specific options like shadows but this did nothing for me or a lot of others. It would still crash roughly every 5 minutes. A shame because the framerate was quite good for RT on a 3070.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Hemish posted:

which is why i said gently caress it all and just watch streamers play games for free (no load times, DRM, cooling, power and storage to worry about too)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

which is why i said gently caress it all and just watch streamers play games for free (no load times, DRM, cooling, power and storage to worry about too)
same except i watch people doing that behind anime man avatars

e: and sometimes a rock

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 16, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

no load times,... , cooling, power and storage to worry about too)

This but with GeForce Now

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So now the 4070 is out. We going to see a response from AMD at all soon? 7700/7800?

Right now it seems both companies don't really care about competing and this whole generation is gonna suck.

Could just pick up a 6800xt for £500ish I guess.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
As a 6800xt owner

Don't buy AMD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

As a 6800xt owner

Don't buy AMD

I bought a 6800 and have been entirely happy with it thus far.