Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I hadn't signed into nextdoor for almost 2 years, so I just did and one of the first things I saw was someone with a neighbour watch avatar telling someone else they should report to the police a person swearing at them.

Snipe, have a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Please do not leave Unison, at least not until the NEC elections are over. There’s a real chance of the left taking it over and making it not poo poo:

https://timeforrealchange.uk/

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In other news, the British media being very, very normal today.

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1647190148063412224?t=t-yiOyQFn1eSqTGC7gja7A&s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The tears are so good https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1647224706288742400

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is a Brendan Forehead production

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/2013_Sylvius/status/1647213029874888705

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s all kicking off at the Grand National if anyone wants a laugh. Hundreds of protesters invading and glueing themselves to things

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For any particular reason or is that just how people enjoy the horse racing?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Both Biden doing the classic American on holiday bit and the papers losing their minds over it are funny, you don't have to pick a side imo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a good way to pay respects to the dead horses.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Such oiks, ruining the day of their betters at the races.
Melanie spent over 5 grand for her hat, and they are off taking pics of pink t-shirted poors.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The racehorses being turned into glue into that glue being used to mess with the living racehorses life cycle.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

findus lasagne van drives away sadly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesseraction posted:

The racehorses being turned into glue into that glue being used to mess with the living racehorses life cycle.

"200 PRITT STICKS" was trending on Twitter this morning.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

OwlFancier posted:

For any particular reason or is that just how people enjoy the horse racing?

Probably the death toll of horses at the race

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

"200 PRITT STICKS" was trending on Twitter this morning.

Bit of a cruel name for a racehorse.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Mad respect to anyone who is willing to subject themselves to horse people that long

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gort posted:

Probably the death toll of horses at the race
Seems so:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/horse-racing/65285510.amp

quote:

Animal Rising spokesperson Nathan McGovern said: "Police are wasting time chasing protesters rather than addressing the climate and ecological emergency, and our broken relationship to animals.

"We remain undeterred, and we will peacefully continue our actions to stop harm coming to animals at Aintree.

"Today marks the first of many actions that will really take place this summer to push this conversation to the top of the agenda."

Animal Rising posted photos on social media appearing to show supporters slow-marching around Aintree on Saturday afternoon.

There have been two horse deaths at the 2023 meeting. Envoye Special suffered a fatal injury in the Foxhunters' Chase on Thursday, then Dark Raven was put down following a fall during the Turners Mersey Novices' Hurdle on Saturday.

The Jockey Club said: "While racing in the third race, Dark Raven was immediately attended by our expert veterinary professionals.

"After assessment, sadly they concluded the necessary course of action for the horse's welfare was to put him to sleep. Our sincere sympathies are with his connections."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

going to start saying "sympathy with their connections" in response to all events now.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
love that "put them to sleep" like they tucked them in with a little pillow and some horlicks rather than drag a tarp around so the cameras can't see and shoot them in the head

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

DesperateDan posted:

love that "put them to sleep" like they tucked them in with a little pillow and some horlicks rather than drag a tarp around so the cameras can't see and shoot them in the head

TBH, we say we're putting them to sleep with our little animals too. You can put a horse down with sedation instead of the gun, but if you don't use enough the horse can start panicing. The gun is quick and the horse has no clue what's happening.

CW animal death
I watched one of the old riding school horses get put down after she got very sick. One moment the horse was standing, and the next she was down. The fallen stock guy was kind to her when leading her away to do the deed, and treated her body with as much dignity as possible when you're getting a few hundred kilos of animal into a trailer. She got sent of with some willow leaves as she absolutely loved eating them. RIP Nellie you were a good horse.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It does make me wonder how many of the deaths are actually "this is kinder for the animal," and how many are "I can't be arsed to pay for this animal if it's not going to win me shitloads of money."

I'm guessing that it's a weird financial glitch where it's easier to shoot the horse and claim the insurance money or something? Or that donating / selling it for a pittance to someone who would look after it is such an inconsequential amount compared to the paperwork involved.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tbh I'd prefer a firing squad to horlicks

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It does make me wonder how many of the deaths are actually "this is kinder for the animal," and how many are "I can't be arsed to pay for this animal if it's not going to win me shitloads of money."

I'm guessing that it's a weird financial glitch where it's easier to shoot the horse and claim the insurance money or something? Or that donating / selling it for a pittance to someone who would look after it is such an inconsequential amount compared to the paperwork involved.

Horses can't really survive broken legs - there's something about the structure of the bone that makes it a mess, and if you did manage to fix the leg the months of box rest (maybe in a sling to help support the weight as they often rest one foot at a time) would wreck the animal's physical condition and probably send it even more doolally than race horses usually are.

A lot of unsuccessful racehorses do just get sent on to rehoming places - if you're experienced with horses an OTTB (Off the track throughbred) is a cheap way to get one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah we bred an animal that runs around on its middle fingers to have really long middle fingers.

About as hosed up as pugs. Somewhere some aristo bloodline obsessive is probably trying to crossbreed them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the sense they are probably shagging both of them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

tbh I'd prefer a firing squad to horlicks

Snoo-snoo beats all.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

About as hosed up as pugs. Somewhere some aristo bloodline obsessive is probably trying to crossbreed them.

Crossbreeding aristos makes them less idiotic though. Do we really want competent aristocrats?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Operation Pug Nonce only created Stanley Johnson

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angrymog posted:

Horses can't really survive broken legs - there's something about the structure of the bone that makes it a mess, and if you did manage to fix the leg the months of box rest (maybe in a sling to help support the weight as they often rest one foot at a time) would wreck the animal's physical condition and probably send it even more doolally than race horses usually are.

A lot of unsuccessful racehorses do just get sent on to rehoming places - if you're experienced with horses an OTTB (Off the track throughbred) is a cheap way to get one.
I guess I'm just looking at it from the capitalism perspective - I suspect there are probably a lot of horses that could be nursed back to being able to do normal horse stuff if the owners put in a tenth of the money the horse made for them, but the owners don't want to spend that when they can just collect the insurance and get a new, uninjured one. How this is relevant in a thread about Marxism, I can't really say.

Just sort of annoys me, sort of like the difference between "my cat was in pain so we ended its painful existence" and "my dog was old and started making GBS threads itself, so we killed it because we didn't want poo in the house."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeWnPue2XU0

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 15, 2023

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
capitalism makes glue of us all, horses and humans alike

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MittensOff/status/1647220555005972481

:allears:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I guess I'm just looking at it from the capitalism perspective - I suspect there are probably a lot of horses that could be nursed back to being able to do normal horse stuff if the owners put in a tenth of the money the horse made for them, but the owners don't want to spend that when they can just collect the insurance and get a new, uninjured one. How this is relevant in a thread about Marxism, I can't really say.

Just sort of annoys me...

If it cheers you up you are just sort of making it up in order to annoy yourself.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

You probably won't be surprised to discover that the metrics around these things are curated specifically to ensure nobody in store-level management ever qualifies for a bonus as well

Always rank it whatever is highest, anything lower than the highest rating is treated the same as the worst score, at least at store level. The sort of people who overthink everything until they can't possibly give their Sandwich Interaction Experience a 5 out of 5 because nothing can be perfect in an imperfect world are the terrors of these systems.

It's insane that this sort of thing is allowed to go unchallenged, the person who thought it up should be in prison.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Epic High Five posted:

You probably won't be surprised to discover that the metrics around these things are curated specifically to ensure nobody in store-level management ever qualifies for a bonus as well

Always rank it whatever is highest, anything lower than the highest rating is treated the same as the worst score, at least at store level. The sort of people who overthink everything until they can't possibly give their Sandwich Interaction Experience a 5 out of 5 because nothing can be perfect in an imperfect world are the terrors of these systems.

About a million years ago, I was temping via Manpower. They used to send a review form to whoever you were temping for now & then (can't remember the frequency, I was with them over 2 years almost entirely with one booking). You got an award of some sort if you got 5/5. I got several. Anyway one of the people in the Manpower office said there was a temp who kept getting 4/5 so they phoned the manager & asked what the temp could do better "Nothing, she's excellent" "So why don't you give her 5/5" "Company policy never to give anyone full marks as there is always something they could improve" "like what?" = anyway, they finally gave the temp a 5/5 so she could get her nice silver necklace.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

someone explained it to me with the following analogy (presumably because I am an idiot) - horse legs are like christmas tree lights, as soon as one goes the increased burden on the remaining ones causes more knock-on problems

e:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the famous case is Barbaro. Won the kentucky derby, had an insanely valuable pedigree, the owners poured an incredible pile of money in for the kinds of surgeries and treatments that most people could only dream of, and he up and died anyway because of the multitude of complications brought on from the broken leg. Its effectively a death sentence for a horse

kecske fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 15, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

gurning about them not flying a british flag on the limo :stare:

they just completely don't get it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ice Cream Joe and Gerry Alan finally did it.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Joe should have bent the knee and asked for the colonies to become part of the empire again.