Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited

bulbs are bulbin'.

I'm pretending that there is not an entire patch at the end of my yard exploding in some sort of poison ivy/oak/sumac type substance that I will have to deal with in the next month. I am Not Excited as it's already gotten me twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
What's up with my tomato seedling? Is it sunscald from too much light? A deficiency?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Looks like nitrogen but either way get them feet out of those little baby containers.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Tomato seedlings are tough fuckers, if you pot up that one it should come right back.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, I was waiting for the endless atmospheric rivers to seemingly stop, which seems to be the case. Time to get everything outdoors! :shittydog:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Woo! First rose of the season is opening, apple buds are swelling, elders are fixing to bloom, peony is putting forth many shoots

now if the landscaper would finish terracing so i could plant them out

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
We've been having some wonderful weather this week here in the California Bay Area.

Just got in the ground:
3 red, 2 yellow, 1 pink brandywine
2 black krim
2 Cherokee purple
1 big rainbow
2 sungold
2 stupice

Looking forward to some great tomato sandwiches in 3 months.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I got a new house! It has a huge garden!

The previous owners clearly weren't expecting to move early this year so it is prepped and has fall plantings in it. The blackberries are well established, trimmed, and trellised up. Strawberries are already setting berries. Fruit trees are starting to set fruit!

I have no idea what these are though, planted around opportunistically but clearly intentionally:

Garlic maybe?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Look a bit like Gladioli. You’ll be able to tell if they flower, mine look the same as those but have just started growing their flower stems and will probably bloom in a week or so.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

The previous owners clearly weren't expecting to move early this year so it is prepped and has fall plantings in it. The blackberries are well established, trimmed, and trellised up. Strawberries are already setting berries. Fruit trees are starting to set fruit!

I have no idea what these are though, planted around opportunistically but clearly intentionally:

Garlic maybe?

Looks like garlic or maybe onions, but could also just be an ornamental allium. If that’s the case, it’ll shoot up a scape-like flower bud soon.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Shifty Pony posted:

Garlic maybe?
I don't think it's gladioulus-they don't have that round stalk although the leaves do look similar.

I'm pretty sure it's some kind of allium. Onion? Garlic? Leeks? Dunno. There are some perennial onions it could be too. If you have any contact info for the PO, you could always ask them. Gardeners usually love to chat and I'm sure they'd be happy to know you appreciated and were taking an interest in their garden.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That looks like hardneck garlic to me. Gently dig around the root with your fingers to see if there's a bulb forming.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
Moving into a house with established fruit trees and berry bushes is an absolute dream, oh my god.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Shifty Pony posted:

Garlic maybe?

Either garlic or leeks.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The mystery plants:

Smells a hell of a lot like garlic.

Free broccoli!

And... carrot?

ScamWhaleHolyGrail posted:

Moving into a house with established fruit trees and berry bushes is an absolute dream, oh my god.

Blackberries!

Gingergold Apple (center), Peach (right)

Fig

Asian Pear (center left), peach (right)

Gingergold Apple

Asian Pear

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I bought and planted three boxwoods to go along side one that came with the house. When we took them out of the pots the soil was really really heavy clay. I ended up removing the outer layer of clay to expose the roots - was this a bad thing? Very conflicting answers online. It’s been about a day and the leaves are a little droopy.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
We saved our leaves from last fall because I read online that mowing over them was good for the soil and we want to expand our garden this year. This might be a dumb question, but does it matter how well mulched they are? Like is one pass over with the mower good enough? I'm really excited to plant this year and I don't want to screw it up!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Not really. The finer the faster they'll break down but just chopping them up at all will make the biggest difference. You can also make "leaf mould" out of essentially an all leaf compost pile. You may have already inadvertently done this depending on how you saved them

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah that's definitely garlic. Even without the developing bulb Leeks don't look so fibrous in the neck near the ground and the leaves are a bit juicier looking

Clip the scapes and enjoy those when they come, and then harvest when the leaves and stems die back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

I bought and planted three boxwoods to go along side one that came with the house. When we took them out of the pots the soil was really really heavy clay. I ended up removing the outer layer of clay to expose the roots - was this a bad thing? Very conflicting answers online. It’s been about a day and the leaves are a little droopy.

There's not a lot of winning to be done when you get something so poorly potted. I doubt you hurt it. Chances are good it made no difference.

Name and shame: what this big box store junk?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Not really. The finer the faster they'll break down but just chopping them up at all will make the biggest difference. You can also make "leaf mould" out of essentially an all leaf compost pile. You may have already inadvertently done this depending on how you saved them

Thanks! Yes, I apparently accidently made a leaf mould.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Upgrade posted:

Boxwood is pretty indestructible, if you put them in better soil they'll probably be happy. Make sure they're fully watered in if they're droopy,

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

There's not a lot of winning to be done when you get something so poorly potted. I doubt you hurt it. Chances are good it made no difference.

Name and shame: what this big box store junk?

Nope, this was our local nursery. The good news is they come with a 6 month no questions asked warranty. I called and talked to them today and if they end up looking crappy in the next week or two they'll send someone to drive out and check them out.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

final shrub question: we would like to rotate one of the plants to change what goes to the 'front' - they've been in the ground about 36 hours, should we absolutely not do this, or does it not matter?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

final shrub question: we would like to rotate one of the plants to change what goes to the 'front' - they've been in the ground about 36 hours, should we absolutely not do this, or does it not matter?

As long as you're not tearing up roots it's fine. Dig the loose soil around it without getting into the remainder of what's potted and rotate it.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
Goons. I recently moved into a house in So Cal and have a garden for a first time. I'm in zone 10a.

I have multiple fruit trees which all seem to be doing good except for my avocado tree. We recently just past all the storms and started to head into a drier season.

My avocado tree leaves are drooping and some are falling off now. Tree is blooming flowers though. Not sure if it was over watered during storms. I have 4 - 6 inched of mulch all around it now.

Any advice I could get to bring it back to life?

https://imgur.com/gallery/KpNs05w

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
Edit - double post. Sorry.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

oh rly posted:

Goons. I recently moved into a house in So Cal and have a garden for a first time. I'm in zone 10a.

I have multiple fruit trees which all seem to be doing good except for my avocado tree. We recently just past all the storms and started to head into a drier season.

My avocado tree leaves are drooping and some are falling off now. Tree is blooming flowers though. Not sure if it was over watered during storms. I have 4 - 6 inched of mulch all around it now.

Any advice I could get to bring it back to life?

https://imgur.com/gallery/KpNs05w

That is a healthy avocado tree.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

40% of my greenhouse beds have been raked. While I was out there I found a family of prairie voles living in some burlap sacks I use for mulch. Gonna have to nuke their habitat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is this the gardening thread? I hosed up and posted this in some non gardening threads first so apologies for crossposting!

I'm getting more into gardening in my limited, urban capacity

i live on the first floor of a building and my back windows look out on the bottom of an air shaft that is like a roof over the basement level. Its ugly and i've been working on making it a "secret roof garden but at the bottom of a hole" and i'm finally all set up now.

View from the hole:

Just finished building and weatherproofing a second planter box to grow veggies this summer which will compliment the planter box i built last year for flowers. Tung oil is amazing poo poo, wood looks brand new still after a year in the weather. Lugging 24 cubic feet of soil out the window to fill these boxes is not fun tho!

Got the two planters arranged to sort of fence off our window view from the dreary roof and make the most of the morning sun's location which shines directly on out little corner for about 2-3 hours in the summer months coming up.

Cut back all my overgrown daffys that were past prime now that the tulips just started popping open. Mixed bulbs were a great start to the year. The planters are right outside my kids window and she is loving the blooms and activity.

Dunno what i'll do yet for summer but i got a few weeks before the garden center is going to get all the summer veggies and flowers in so i can think it over.
Probably a lot of easy bright vincas for the flower bed, herbs of course, and i'll maybe try some tomatos and hot peppers and lettuces and see how they do.

Anyway if this is the general gardening hobby thread im happy to have found it. thanks for looking at my bullshit

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 17, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yes this is the gardening hobby and "starting to be a bit more than a hobby" thread.

Love a good tulip

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Those tulips are beautiful and I strongly support any kind of effort to bring nature back into cities.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks! I've also got ranunculus in my much tinier "front yard" of an unused air conditioner cage hanging over the street out my window

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Off to a late start but making progress. I'm in USDA Zone 9a so it's not like I'm short on growing season.

Pepper and heirloom Greek basil seedlings. Some sort of caterpillar (hornworms? they looked like cabbage butterfly larvae but the leaf damage doesn't match) ate the the basil down to the stems practically overnight but they're somehow still alive.

'maters. I wasn't planning on it this year but they were a gift from a neighbor who had a huge surplus of seedlings. Variety unknown. The little one should have been transplanted two weeks ago and is looking rough, but the new growth at the top seems promising.

Clockwise from top left: thyme, sage, rosemary, garlic chives, small child's basketball, regular chives, fig cutting, borage, fig cutting

The sage and rosemary were leftovers from a grocery store packet that I stuck in a little pot and put in the garage over the winter. They were really slow to root and grow over the winter but they're still kicking.

The borage seedlings got eaten to pieces by the same thing that ate the basil (they were adjacent in the seed trays). LMAO at everything I read that sings the praises of borage and basil for repelling caterpillars.

The figs were another gift from the neighbor and have absolutely exploded over the past couple weeks (plus a third that is developing at a more leisurely pace). He got them from the community garden and wasn't sure what variety they are. I'm hoping for an LSU Gold but :iiam:

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 17, 2023

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Real hurthling! posted:

View from the hole:

Dunno what i'll do yet for summer but i got a few weeks before the garden center is going to get all the summer veggies and flowers in so i can think it over.
Probably a lot of easy bright vincas for the flower bed, herbs of course, and i'll maybe try some tomatos and hot peppers and lettuces and see how they do.

Anyway if this is the general gardening hobby thread im happy to have found it. thanks for looking at my bullshit

I'm no expert, but I at various times I've been much more space-limited than I am now and I found that growing things I could otherwise buy relatively cheaply was a waste of space and really frustrating when they didn't thrive. I grow mustard greens now because they do really well and I don't stress too much if, like this year, they get hit simultaneously by three different insects and a fungal infection, but if I could only plant a few things I'd stick to herbs and vegetables that I can't easily find in stores. Things like exotic peppers and/or plants that climb. Depending on where you are, you may be a little late for things like peas, but you can probably still put in some heirloom varietals of things like cucumber, zucchini, beans etc. It looks like you can definitely go up, even if the footprint has to be small.

Only other thing to consider is how much light you'll get. Other folks will probably be better able to assess that and tell you what plants might do better if you've got an area that gets very little full sun.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
IMO small herb garden is hands down the best return on both effort and money for a space like that. Seriously, a few small clippings of slightly wilty herbs at the grocery store will run you $2+ around here. I grilled a bunch of lamb with fresh cut thyme and Greek oregano yesterday and it was a) free and b) incredibly fragrant and flavorful. That's why the thyme is so scrubby in the picture above, I had just given it a major buzz cut (well that and transplant shock, but it'll be fine).

Even though most herbs technically like full sun, they tend to be pretty hardy. I'm having trouble picturing tomatoes doing well with that much shade. Most herbs? Sure, whatever. Try to kill mint, I dare you.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rojay posted:

I'm no expert, but I at various times I've been much more space-limited than I am now and I found that growing things I could otherwise buy relatively cheaply was a waste of space and really frustrating when they didn't thrive. I grow mustard greens now because they do really well and I don't stress too much if, like this year, they get hit simultaneously by three different insects and a fungal infection, but if I could only plant a few things I'd stick to herbs and vegetables that I can't easily find in stores. Things like exotic peppers and/or plants that climb. Depending on where you are, you may be a little late for things like peas, but you can probably still put in some heirloom varietals of things like cucumber, zucchini, beans etc. It looks like you can definitely go up, even if the footprint has to be small.

Only other thing to consider is how much light you'll get. Other folks will probably be better able to assess that and tell you what plants might do better if you've got an area that gets very little full sun.

I get about 2-3 hours of direct sun once summer starts around june and the sun gets high enough

Im in nyc so its zone 7 not sure a or b or if it matters.

Yeah i plan mainly to try heirloom and highly ethnic italian guy stuff rather than what they got in the store.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gonna get my cold hardy starters in the ground this week

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
So I'm realizing this spring that I lightly hosed up with my asparagus bed.

Planted crowns in 2021. Got a few spears, but mostly left it alone. Got a bunch of spears last year, but still went easy on the harvesting because conventional wisdom is to let them fern out to really establish for the long-term.

And then the gently caress-up: I mulched the bed with unshredded leaves last year. And then when I got my dumptruck of compost this year, I threw on a bunch figuring it would add nutrients.

Problem is, the spears are now having trouble punching through the leaf layer. And the ones that make it through are ferning only a few inches after exposure to the air. I've dug into the compost a bit and they are edible a good 6-9 inches below the surface so if I harvest without digging, I'm missing a bunch of delicious veg.

Frustrating. And since learning in this hobby is so slow, I figured I'd share in case someone was just getting into an asparagus bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Real hurthling! posted:

I get about 2-3 hours of direct sun once summer starts around june and the sun gets high enough

Im in nyc so its zone 7 not sure a or b or if it matters.

Yeah i plan mainly to try heirloom and highly ethnic italian guy stuff rather than what they got in the store.

I don't think you will have a ton of success with tomatoes on 2-3 hrs of sun to be honest. If you are dead set on it, think about trying a cherry/grape tomato plant and not a big slicer tomato. I definitely think you'll get more success with herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, etc) as far as Italian cooking goes.