Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

6 is real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I said come in! posted:

This week, I finished Resident Evil 2 Remake for the first time ever. It was a fun, wholesome, and cozy game. I liked the friendly moments of hide and seek, collecting everything, and the story of helping a family of scientists come together in a moment of stress, as minor as the event was in raccoon city. :angel: excited to play Resident Evil 3 Remake next.

:hfive: yeah!

I will probably finish Claire's story tonight.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the only bad thing about 6 is that doesnt teach you the controls properly so you have no idea how to pull of all the sick poo poo you can pull off until some weirdo on the internet tells you.

oh and i guess if you like to play the same poo poo over and over.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I hear ya, i just finished doing a RE2r Leon 1st run S rank, working it out on my own, making notes and it was a lot of fun. Now doing a hardcore run with the infinite ammo Samurai Edge and drat its like 10 headshots to get em to burst. I'm happy with S rank, S+ is something for another time.
I'm really back into RE, before this I did Village 6 times in a row working on the Plat.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I said come in! posted:

This week, I finished Resident Evil 2 Remake for the first time ever. It was a fun, wholesome, and cozy game. I liked the friendly moments of hide and seek, collecting everything, and the story of helping a family of scientists come together in a moment of stress, as minor as the event was in raccoon city. :angel: excited to play Resident Evil 3 Remake next.

Enjoy RE3! It didn’t quite click with me at first but RE4 inspired me to pick it back up and I ended up having a blast with it.

It’s probably the least faithful of the remakes so far but the original RE3 is more or less totally inconsequential to the rest of the series so it doesn’t really matter. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vikar Jerome posted:

the only bad thing about 6 is that doesnt teach you the controls properly so you have no idea how to pull of all the sick poo poo you can pull off until some weirdo on the internet tells you.

oh and i guess if you like to play the same poo poo over and over.

RE6’s sick sweet moves remind me of the incredible driving physics of the Batmobile in Arkham Knight: it’s a really detailed and in depth system with a really high mastery ceiling that is completely out of place in the game that it’s in.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dewgy posted:

Enjoy RE3! It didn’t quite click with me at first but RE4 inspired me to pick it back up and I ended up having a blast with it.

It’s probably the least faithful of the remakes so far but the original RE3 is more or less totally inconsequential to the rest of the series so it doesn’t really matter. :v:

re3 ties into re5 and death island

re2r and re3r are both fairly unfaithful and miss the mark of the ogs.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Hector Delgado posted:

I hear ya, i just finished doing a RE2r Leon 1st run S rank, working it out on my own, making notes and it was a lot of fun. Now doing a hardcore run with the infinite ammo Samurai Edge and drat its like 10 headshots to get em to burst. I'm happy with S rank, S+ is something for another time.
I'm really back into RE, before this I did Village 6 times in a row working on the Plat.

Yeah I am hooked on RE now. I think I beat Village 3 times when it came out, and I've enjoyed every minute of my current RE2 remake playthrough.

Growing up, my brother was the RE fan, I was more into the Silent Hill series. I watched him play og RE2 and RE3 on ps1. But now I love both series. Once I finish my RE marathon I'd love to do a SH marathon, but I only have access to SH1 on my ps3 and the SH HD collection of 2/3 on my Series S, which I've heard takes away a lot of the fog and atmosphere of those games...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This cause the live service stuff is still staying lol

I thought the only thing they decided to remove after the State of Play was the always online. How does that take 1 year to remove?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I don’t think anyone posted the new burning shores trailer, which I didn’t realize was out in like 3 days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbl2wfyAgxY

drat look at that horus and that far zenith arm, which aloy conveniently has when the horus decides to pop up

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

RE5 is held up on the shoulders of Albert Wesker. The game would demonstrably worse without him in it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

RE5 is held up on the shoulders of Albert Wesker. The game would demonstrably worse without him in it

To be fair, this would be a massive change because he's in a lot of it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

its true

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

To be fair, this would be a massive change because he's in a lot of it

just the 3rd part tbh

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yeah I am hooked on RE now. I think I beat Village 3 times when it came out, and I've enjoyed every minute of my current RE2 remake playthrough.

Growing up, my brother was the RE fan, I was more into the Silent Hill series. I watched him play og RE2 and RE3 on ps1. But now I love both series. Once I finish my RE marathon I'd love to do a SH marathon, but I only have access to SH1 on my ps3 and the SH HD collection of 2/3 on my Series S, which I've heard takes away a lot of the fog and atmosphere of those games...

Best route to playing SH1-3 on modern hardware with the original atmosphere intact is emulation. I understand that Series S/X can run a PS2 emulator well so that might be worth a shot

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

acksplode posted:

Best route to playing SH1-3 on modern hardware with the original atmosphere intact is emulation. I understand that Series S/X can run a PS2 emulator well so that might be worth a shot

Yeah I might try to do that... I kinda messed around with Dev mode/emulators on it when that stuff was first doable, and I think I had trouble getting ps2 games to run well at the time, but maybe it's improved since then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Yeah I might try to do that... I kinda messed around with Dev mode/emulators on it when that stuff was first doable, and I think I had trouble getting ps2 games to run well at the time, but maybe it's improved since then.

There was actually a period where you didn’t need to use dev mode, but MS rescinded that a week or two ago.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I like 6 better than 5 cus it has more interesting mechanics going on and you don’t have to babysit the AI partner anymore, but both are deeply flawed games and I understand why people do not like 6. Personally I found a way to really enjoy it. 5 is kinda bland and plodding, I prefer it the least out of the 4-5-6 trifecta of “action era” RE

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

acksplode posted:

I understand that Series S/X can run a PS2 emulator well so that might be worth a shot

Not anymore lol they disabled access to it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Best route is to get a ps2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ulio posted:

I thought the only thing they decided to remove after the State of Play was the always online. How does that take 1 year to remove?

No, I think you're thinking of Redfall. But Jason Schrier was saying that his sources told him the live service stuff is staying, all that is being done is optimization, and polish. The development on Suicide Squad is a disaster. This will be one of the worst games of 2024.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

It might be able to be returned!
https://twitter.com/gamr12/status/1647305023628492802

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Resident Evil 5's biggest legacy is probably the boulder punching. This is internet drama from 10+ years ago so I might be off base but I remember the racism being controversial even at the time. Capcom released a public statement that was basically the "sorry sorry I am trying to delete it" dril tweet but obviously did not change anything, but by then the controversy had already died down. Resident Evil 6 is basically a conversation black hole. I don't think I see anyone reference it outside of this forum in years.

6 probably sold well but when people thought 7 was going to be a reboot I remember some grumbling but the general reception being...relief? The lore really had become out of control by that point.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 15, 2023

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

They can try but i cant see it lasting much longer if their plan is to sell more 360 games with their own emulator they are working on, plus that nintendo partnership gotta be asking questions

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The racism issue in 5 is honestly kind of weird? Like, yes, the core premise of "White American guy goes into African country and has to shoot the crazed locals" is pretty questionable, but, to be frank, it's bog-standard for that time in the industry. Like, that's every Call of Duty, and the parts that aren't are just a game of Resident Evil Mad Libs where the "enemy" fill-in-the-blank has been completed with something iffy. Nothing got misrepresented, but it's possible to play the game and extend the game some charity for the way it stumbled into the topic.

...Then you get to Chapter 3-1 and you go, "Oh. gently caress this." I like Resident Evil 5 but hooooooly poo poo.

Vikar Jerome posted:

just the 3rd part tbh

Yeah, well, he's in most of the parts of the story I remember so there :colbert:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

Best route is to get a ps2

I mean, I have a BC compatible PS3.... but the Silent Hill games, especially 2 and 3, are stupid expensive. A complete copy of SH3 alone is going for like $150-$200, SH2 is like $120ish. I'm not paying those prices.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arist posted:

The racism issue in 5 is honestly kind of weird? Like, yes, the core premise of "White American guy goes into African country and has to shoot the crazed locals" is pretty questionable, but, to be frank, it's bog-standard for that time in the industry. Like, that's every Call of Duty, and the parts that aren't are just a game of Resident Evil Mad Libs where the "enemy" fill-in-the-blank has been completed with something iffy. Nothing got misrepresented, but it's possible to play the game and extend the game some charity for the way it stumbled into the topic.

...Then you get to Chapter 3-1 and you go, "Oh. gently caress this." I like Resident Evil 5 but hooooooly poo poo.

This was a real "got us in the first half" post

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I mean, I have a BC compatible PS3.... but the Silent Hill games, especially 2 and 3, are stupid expensive. A complete copy of SH3 alone is going for like $150-$200, SH2 is like $120ish. I'm not paying those prices.

Get a ps2 and freemcboot memory card and a network cable

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

They can try but i cant see it lasting much longer if their plan is to sell more 360 games with their own emulator they are working on, plus that nintendo partnership gotta be asking questions

Explain the 360 game / emulator thing? I thought Microsoft was done with adding to the backwards compatibility.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:siren: notable releases for week 16

Minecraft Legends (PS5/PS4/X|S/XB1/PC/Switch 04/18/2022)

Final Fantasy I - VI Pixel Remaster Series (PS4/Switch 04/19/2023)

Horizon - Forbidden West: Burning Shores (PS5 04/19/2023)

Dead Island 2 (PS5/PS4/X|S/XB1/PC 04/21/2023)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Explain the 360 game / emulator thing? I thought Microsoft was done with adding to the backwards compatibility.

There were some reports recently they are working on a emulator for series x, i didnt look too deep into them tbh

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:siren:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

imhotep posted:

I don’t think anyone posted the new burning shores trailer, which I didn’t realize was out in like 3 days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbl2wfyAgxY

drat look at that horus and that far zenith arm, which aloy conveniently has when the horus decides to pop up

Dunno when I'll have the time to play this what with the pixel remasters coming out literally the same day :smug:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arist posted:

Also that one Sheva outfit lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vikar Jerome posted:

“Retail mode” not working just means that you have to put your Xbox into dev mode to use emulators, they haven’t blocked that side of things. If all you’re using your Xbox for is emus then this change makes essentially no difference to you.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

mycot posted:

Resident Evil 5's biggest legacy is probably the boulder punching. This is internet drama from 10+ years ago so I might be off base but I remember the racism being controversial even at the time. Capcom released a public statement that was basically the "sorry sorry I am trying to delete it" dril tweet but obviously did not change anything, but by then the controversy had already died down.

Even at the time, it was controversial, to say the least. When they demo’d it, everyone I was living with watched, it was pretty uncomfortable, and even one of my not-particularly-woke roommates said “who the hell at Capcom thought this was good idea?” It’s not great that Activision was sending players to kill all the Arabs in COD titles at the time but I guess people expected more from Capcom than African village zombie massacres.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Dev mode still works

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

No, I think you're thinking of Redfall. But Jason Schrier was saying that his sources told him the live service stuff is staying, all that is being done is optimization, and polish. The development on Suicide Squad is a disaster. This will be one of the worst games of 2024.

So Rocksteady's last game came out in 2015... Thats gonna be 9 years in 2024. People say Rockstar is slow but it took them only 5 years from GTAV to RDR2, of course multiple studios and all but 9 years seems a bit too much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

There were some reports recently they are working on a emulator for series x, i didnt look too deep into them tbh

Ooh! That seems extremely unlikely. I guess if the emulator was just there and anyone with physical copies can now play all of their 360 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mycot posted:

Resident Evil 5's biggest legacy is probably the boulder punching. This is internet drama from 10+ years ago so I might be off base but I remember the racism being controversial even at the time. Capcom released a public statement that was basically the "sorry sorry I am trying to delete it" dril tweet but obviously did not change anything, but by then the controversy had already died down. Resident Evil 6 is basically a conversation black hole. I don't think I see anyone reference it outside of this forum in years.

6 probably sold well but when people thought 7 was going to be a reboot I remember some grumbling but the general reception being...relief? The lore really had become out of control by that point.

Well like you can have a zombie outbreak in africa in a game but you shouldnt first reveal the game with chris shooting only black poor people zombies or have a midgame level where grass skirt, big mask, spearmen are the zombie bad guys cause thats quite extreme to say the least.

Like half the locations are industrial they could have marketed the game with the african character more prominent, shooting a multi racial horde of foreign and local petroleum engineer biomutants cause theres lots of levels like that but instead they completely beefed it and revealed with mini-gunning half of lagos