Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

feeling cute today, decided to draw the rear end monster

I like to imagine they deflate a little when they've got so many out at once.

Ooh, that's amazing! Your style works really well to convey the creepiness of the mouth-fetuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Hempuli posted:

Ooh, that's amazing! Your style works really well to convey the creepiness of the mouth-fetuses

sentences that warm the cochles of my chest hearts

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
That is a good drawing Boba.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

holy poo poo

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

Boba Pearl posted:

sentences that warm the cochles of my chest hearts

Read this as "the coochies of my heart" at first and had some very unpleasant thoughts about anatomy.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Umbilicalbeast Paarl

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i have no idea where this is going but i am glad to read it

Youremother posted:

God's Hands

some pls put mr boops face on there tia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF Comic and/or Previously Unimagined Horror

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Hempuli posted:

Umbilicalbeast Paarl

best. thread. on the forums.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Boba Pearl posted:

this is suffiently terrifying, thanks no thanks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I fuckin' told ya, amazing.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Standalone!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

Hempuli posted:

Umbilicalbeast Paarl

Oh my god y'all

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

boop time. time for boop.

mr boop
book 2, 61-65
https://mrboop.net/

on the strength of comic 2-64, i choose to believe the mr boop comic was funded by the dude who commissions enormous amounts of art of women buying white wonderbread

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Technocrat posted:

Standalone!

it's like the opposite of that Ikea lamp commerical

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Touhou Peanuts

Reimu's shrine maiden outfit in the games have detached sleeves making her armpits visible. This has resulted in a lot of memes.

Yuyuko Saigyouji: Ghost and "princess" of Hakugyokurou, a shrine in the Netherworld. Somewhat ditzy and carefree, yet has also been shown to be surprisingly perceptive and knowledgeable when needed. Her dead human body is buried under the youkai cherry tree Saigyou Ayakashi. Commonly portrayed as a big eater. Based on Peppermint Patty.

Youmu Konpaku: Yuyuko's servant, gardener of Hakugyokurou, and swordswoman. A half-human, half-ghost (don't ask how that works, the whole Konpaku lineage is like that), with the ghost half being the big white spirit following her around. Based on Marcie.

So I know it probably won't mean anything to most of you, but having these two take on the roles of Peppermint Patty and Marcie is no contest the single greatest casting choice in the entire comic.

After being a boss in the sixth game, Sakuya showed up as a playable character in the four following games and was more or less thought of as the third main playable character, after Reimu and Marisa. But after that she started appearing only sporadically, with Sanae largely taking over the spot of third main.

And here's that most classic of Peanuts running gags in Touhou form! The very short explanation is that in the games, when you hold down Shift, you move slower and your hitbox becomes visible. But while the slow movement started being a thing in the fourth game in the series, the hitbox wasn't displayed until the seventh... and the game Remilia debuted in was the sixth.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Boba Pearl posted:

Haha, that's great. Your style really works well for this. Get some more shading on it and it would be perfect

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I'm honestly pretty charmed by the idea in Shinozaki that some animals can just do magic too. And not in a "superintelligent frog wizard" kind of way, just a cat that is doing cat things while breaking laws of physics.

Plenty of fictional works have animals with magical abilities, but this is the first time I've seen one given the title of 'magician' and placed on the same tier as human (or human-adjacent) magicians. I think that's kind of cool!

Emzedoh posted:

Wakako-Zake 8th Night: Ankimo-ponzu (Monkfish liver with ponzu sauce)

Wakako-Zake 9th Night: Potato Salad

Edit: That's a good eldritch abombination, Boba.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Major Strawberry leaps over Joseph, then talks at length about his plan to open the door! This gives the Columnist enough time to grab his leg, preventing him from opening the door!

Read right to left:

Chapter 60 - Santana is Under House Arrest, More At 7: END

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

A thread newbie here wondering what exactly is the joke in Joey's Special Experience, is it machine translated or done extremely poorly by someone not native in Japanese or English? It's very funny, all the same.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PYF Comics: A B-Grade Comic!!! (these are words of praise)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Literally All I Do All Day

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

barbecue at the folks posted:

A thread newbie here wondering what exactly is the joke in Joey's Special Experience, is it machine translated or done extremely poorly by someone not native in Japanese or English? It's very funny, all the same.

It's run through a translator multiple times between a bunch of different languages ending in English, as far as I understand

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

As usual, I didn’t translate the singing, but it’s endlessly repeating “yarobe yarobe ro,” nonsense syllables that are basically “yellow brick road” filtered through the Japanese sound system so it fits the meter of Follow the Yellow Brick Road.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kit Walker posted:

It's run through a translator multiple times between a bunch of different languages ending in English, as far as I understand

Yeah this. Up to 20 times through the translator in different languages, and sometimes the bot breaks and you get symbols, bits of error messages, non English translations, or infinitely repeating text, which they leave in.

It all comes together to provide a pretty close facsimile of a horrendously poor fan translation into English by someone who doesn't speak it, who was themselves hired by someone who also doesn't speak English but also doesn't speak the translator's language

E: that was an actual thing that happened btw

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Apr 15, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Giant Ethicist posted:

Chako

As usual, I didn’t translate the singing, but it’s endlessly repeating “yarobe yarobe ro,” nonsense syllables that are basically “yellow brick road” filtered through the Japanese sound system so it fits the meter of Follow the Yellow Brick Road.

chako is right, they are creepy

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Dolmistaska

Digamma-F-Wau has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Apr 21, 2023

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

E: that was an actual thing that happened btw

I remember 90s manga video.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

this is great

Boba Pearl posted:

this fuckin rules

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Technocrat posted:

Standalone!

Brave Little Toaster spin-off looking good :kimchi:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Eileen Quinn

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

fritz posted:

Eileen Quinn

I love it

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

YEM

Tumble leaves the island to find the scientist's laboratory.

Inside the offshore mining rig, Tumble learns that he is suddenly an important person.

Frobenioid explains that in order to attain immortality, the most fundamental instinct of all eukariotic life, namely that cycling through phases of splitting and merging, must be halted.

Flip learns the advanced knowledge.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Van von Hunter

I’ll talk about the Rising Stars of Manga further down.

Wait a second, that’s just Krillin from Dragon Ball Z. Be nice to Krillin!

So… the Rising Stars of Manga. It was a competition ran by the manga publisher Tokyopop to find English language creators and publish their works, and was a part of Tokyopop’s efforts to publish what was then called OEL (Original English-language) manga in an attempt to bolster their library of titles as they were losing their licenses to Japanese-owned publishers. Van von Hunter was one of the winners, and had three books published! I own them, actually, and would draw the characters from the back of the book way back in elementary school.

The problem was that the contracts Tokyopop gave the winners were pretty exploitative. They didn’t give much money and gave the rights to the works to Tokyopop, not the creators. It was a pretty big scandal that made English language creators avoid the company, backfiring on Tokyopop. Later, Tokyopop would collapse after Borders closed down, having signed an exclusivity agreement with the now defunct bookstore, leaving the rights to the works even further in limbo.

Tokyopop has come crawling back, largely publishing Disney branded manga and niche lgbt manga, but the original creators have all moved on by this point.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MokBa posted:

Seems like a big ol love letter to Jack Kirby.

That's basically the first part of Scioli's career, this plus 'Myth of 8-Opus' plus 'Godland'.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

skeleton warrior posted:

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist, Issue #15, Part 1

Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist, Issue #15, Part 2

I wish my pets kept me from making terrible decisions in who to date

Next ish: more anger, more freak-outs, some progress?

Have some avatars if you want. all pre-sized at 187x187!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

it's time to learn about the science behind the clowns