Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lady near me has a freeze dryer and selling dried veg

She has freeze dried beets on Friend Discount for $12/lb

Beets are $17.50 for 6.6 lbs at Costco

Assuming beets are 6/7 water, and a pound of freeze dried beets represent 7 lbs of regular beets, $12 for a pound of freeze dried would be a steal.

Am I mathing this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you live in Alaska to be paying $2.65/lb for plain beets? Are Costco’s beets organic or chioggia or something? I live in NYC and I’ve never paid more than $1/lb for plain red beets without the greens. I’m guessing she has a source around that price, or less if she’s buying in bulk.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 12, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Beets are $1/lb on sale in LA, $2 regular price, and that includes the fact that you’re gonna lose some weight to the greens and peel

$2.65/lb doesn’t seem bad for nothing but the edible part of beets, also being shelf stable for a few months

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7221195368317390122

Apparently the Oxo carbon steel pan is slick enough to slide eggs out of the box

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Is there a reason anyone would want a years worth of freeze dried beets? Like you’re adopting a Mormon style prepper pantry? At no point have I ever not been able to buy beets on demand.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I make a lot of borscht and my freezer’s always full

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Beets are $1/lb on sale in LA, $2 regular price, and that includes the fact that you’re gonna lose some weight to the greens and peel

$2.65/lb doesn’t seem bad for nothing but the edible part of beets, also being shelf stable for a few months
Beet greens are edible; in fact, beets were originally cultivated for their greens and there are modern cultivars (like chard) that still are.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

I make a lot of borscht and my freezer’s always full

love that stuff

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Beet greens are edible; in fact, beets were originally cultivated for their greens and there are modern cultivars (like chard) that still are.

I am never going to need as many beet greens as I am beets

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Oh my goodness, freeze dried veggies are so nice to eat

The sweetness and sourness of the apples taste like they’re amped up

Beets way sweeter than fresh, almost tastes like ketchup (she marinated them in vinegar)

I wish I had $3000

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

Love the beet greens. I’ve just cooked them separately from the beet. Last time I got beets with quality greens on top they were excellent. A bit earthy in a good way, and also tender with a little green bitterness to it. Gotta throw out the ratty leaves and thoroughly wash thoroughly because they’re often treated not so well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Reconstitution of freeze dried apples: soaked up plenty of water, texture is soggy and mushy, but flavor is still pretty good and fresh. Starts turning brown again quickly after rehydrated.

Beets also got soggy, but not as mushy as the apples.

Weirdly, I think the flavor might’ve actually been better when they were freeze dried.

At any rate because of the mushiness I would only use rehydrated produce in soups or other slop food like maybe oatmeal for the apples

What else would be cool to ask the neighbor lady to freeze dry? Tofu? Sausage? Guanciale? She says high fat stuff like butter won’t work

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are all kinds of things you can do with pulverized freeze-dried fruits (or vegetables I guess) in baking. If you have the freeze-dried fruit, it’s super easy and brings a great fresh flavor without throwing off the consistency or needing a lot of manipulation. I did bananas in blondies, seedless raspberries in pastry cream, etc. People are just starting to get into using freeze-dried fruit, so there’s a ton of new ground to break, whatever you can think of. Wild blueberry sausages, why not

Those of us without a helpful neighbor can reliably score some fruits (iirc apple, banana, mango, raspberries, blueberries, strawberries) in pouches at Trader Joe’s. Be sure you’re getting freeze-dried and not just dried!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 13, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

If she's selling freeze-dried veg for income, there's a decent chance she has a deal with either a farmer or a produce vendor to buy in bulk occasionally - buying 100 lbs from a commercial vendor should be significantly less expensive than buying from your local grocery.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Can a fellow LA goon get the hook up?

Looking for dried fruit to blitz up into a powder for adding to my sugar water when I go on bike rides.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PolishPandaBear posted:

Can a fellow LA goon get the hook up?

Looking for dried fruit to blitz up into a powder for adding to my sugar water when I go on bike rides.

They’re in the valley, is that close to you

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I'm in Culver City. So like 30-40 min without traffic?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’ve asked if she’s taking on new customers, waiting to hear back

In the meantime, a very positive Made In carbon steel pan review:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7221564270419381546

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone used the T-fal or All Clad deep fryers with the build in filters and oil tanks? I rarely deep fry things because I hate the feeling of "wasting" oil so this has got me really interested, but I wanted some reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKh-GKUvu0

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Steve Yun posted:

Reconstitution of freeze dried apples: soaked up plenty of water, texture is soggy and mushy, but flavor is still pretty good and fresh. Starts turning brown again quickly after rehydrated.

Your mistake was not using rum to rehydrate the apples, IMO. I’ve never tried it, but I just know it’s gotta be good.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We have a countertop dehydrator and honest to God dried tomatoes are straight up candy.

Being in the house while dehydrating ghost peppers? Inadvisable

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

We dehydrate orange and lemon slices so we can toss them in tea and it's very nice.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Being in the house while dehydrating ghost peppers? Inadvisable
That's called funigation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Subjunctive posted:

Your mistake was not using rum to rehydrate the apples, IMO. I’ve never tried it, but I just know it’s gotta be good.

Well now you tell me after I ate all the freeze dried apples

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve asked if she’s taking on new customers, waiting to hear back

In the meantime, a very positive Made In carbon steel pan review:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7221564270419381546

Is there any reason to get the Made In pan for 170€ of you can get the same size DeBuyer with a similarly fancy handle for 70€ or if you are fine with a straight handle for 50€? Seems very expensive for a carbon steel pan.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Eezee posted:

Is there any reason to get the Made In pan for 170€ of you can get the same size DeBuyer with a similarly fancy handle for 70€ or if you are fine with a straight handle for 50€? Seems very expensive for a carbon steel pan.

Made In is an American brand, manufactured in America - you're paying prices for importing, plus any associated tariffs or taxes. I own that Made In pan, and I'd be getting the De Buyer one given the price difference you're looking at.

Alternatively, I've seen the Oxo carbon steel pans heavily recommended as well, those might be another option depending on local pricing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Their website says it’s made in Sweden: https://madeincookware.com/products/blue-carbon-steel-frying-pan/12-inch-preseasoned

And at $129 it’s $15 more than the similar size de Buyer pro pan: https://debuyer-usa.com/products/mineral-b-pro-fry-pan?variant=35068464005277

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Huh, I would have sworn when I bought mine, the website claimed it was made in America. Wonder if I'm misremembering or if they changed manufacturers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VelociBacon posted:

We dehydrate orange and lemon slices so we can toss them in tea and it's very nice.
Ooh! Must try.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Made In is an American brand, manufactured in America

Just browsing their website, I'm seeing stuff coming from Italy, France, USA, Sweden, etc. I don't think they claim to be an all-American brand.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Taima posted:

Making chocolate would be great- is there a certain recipe you prefer? Again I just don't know who I should be watching when it comes to this kind of thing. I have brave tart's book. I have the milk bar book. Idk that's basically it. I want to get into desserts though.

No one recipe stands out, but once you realize how quickly and easily you can turn chocolate into perfectly tempered shiny and snappy chocolate covering <whatever you want> the fun never stops. Until the diabetes sets in.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Pasta machine. Anyone got strong opinions on size? I'll be getting an atlas anyway, so it's really a choice between the 150/180. The extra space wasted? The 150 constraining?

I've a notion I can use this for other uses, as well. Mostly pastry. This unfounded? My pasta rolling is frankly garbage by hand but I'd be willing to put up with it if I would end up buying a unitasker. If pastry is fine though, I'm going ham.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Absolutely the 180. It’s a great product, great value, and absolutely the one you should get, but even it is going to feel smaller than you want.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I'm not sure how many cutters are made for the 180 size as opposed to the 150. If you're just rolling sheets then go for the 180 no problem though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Who makes very good cutting boards? Like not just well-made with end grain and appropriate woods and feet that stay attached and NO loving RUNNEL and well-oiled to start, but also really attractive and with obviously talented craftsmanship? I am ready for our kitchen to have a new centrepiece. Let’s pretend that price is literally no object to start! I want my kids fighting over this when my will is read.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm pretty sure the woodworking thread is like 90% chopping boards.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Who makes very good cutting boards? Like not just well-made with end grain and appropriate woods and feet that stay attached and NO loving RUNNEL and well-oiled to start, but also really attractive and with obviously talented craftsmanship? I am ready for our kitchen to have a new centrepiece. Let’s pretend that price is literally no object to start! I want my kids fighting over this when my will is read.

There's a goon who ran an SA mart thread a year or three back who has a website they order out of now that are quite nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm pretty sure the woodworking thread is like 90% chopping boards.

I will ask there!

Nephzinho posted:

There's a goon who ran an SA mart thread a year or three back who has a website they order out of now that are quite nice.

I will search there!

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Absolutely the 180. It’s a great product, great value, and absolutely the one you should get, but even it is going to feel smaller than you want.

Cool, exactly the problem I expected. That'll be the one then.

Nephzinho posted:

I'm not sure how many cutters are made for the 180 size as opposed to the 150. If you're just rolling sheets then go for the 180 no problem though.

Sheets. Looking it up, it's got cutters for fettuccine/tagliatelle included but they offer nothing else. I was just getting incredibly lazy and making pappardelle anyway, having any degree of control beyond a sheet and cutting it to shape myself is above expectation/desire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kalsco posted:

Cool, exactly the problem I expected. That'll be the one then.

Sheets. Looking it up, it's got cutters for fettuccine/tagliatelle included but they offer nothing else. I was just getting incredibly lazy and making pappardelle anyway, having any degree of control beyond a sheet and cutting it to shape myself is above expectation/desire.

I have and love the 150 and have a few cutters for things like chittara and the motor for making large batches. If i was just making sheets and free cutting I'd totally have gotten the 180.