Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
A new development in the Tommy Tallarico saga: turns out he barely composed for Earthworm Jim; his only track for two that wasn't just a Beethoven MIDI is the continue screen, which is the most generic rock riff imaginable.
https://twitter.com/gh_emotionalguy/status/1647069647831695362

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

That hbomberguy video really is an atom bomb to his legacy lol

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Kim Justice posted:

A dramatwat YouTuber made a vid about a friend/member of Mr Beast's team who's transitioning and loving good on him for his response.

https://twitter.com/MrBeast/status/1646552879136636936?t=HcCbiG4rzdh9e2ufp9zTeQ&s=19

For some additional context, Chris at this time is using any pronouns so MrBeast isn't accidentally or on purpose being transphobic when referring to him with masculine pronouns.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
haters will continue to hate but they will have never been on cribs five times like tommy has

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
or paid the guy that made the roblox death grunt his lasting legacy

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
You must be very proud

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I need to take a piss at night.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's funny that it only happened because TOMMY NEEDS MONEY

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Pigbuster posted:

A new development in the Tommy Tallarico saga: turns out he barely composed for Earthworm Jim; his only track for two that wasn't just a Beethoven MIDI is the continue screen, which is the most generic rock riff imaginable.
https://twitter.com/gh_emotionalguy/status/1647069647831695362

I wish I had something more to say about this instead of holy poo poo but holy poo poo lmao

Earthworm Jim is like THE game he brags about 100% of the time.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 15, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Which is increasingly sad because EWJ has not been holding well in the eyes of people who grew up with it. I say this as someone who adored the games as a kid, but they’re basically competent platformers that love to change gears to a different, usually worse, gameplay style. EWJ 2 was better about it, but still kept doing it.

Doesn’t help that its creator is a religious nut, hardcore bigot, and more recently using his art to pump out ugly NFTs. It’s just not a series you can exactly hang your career on.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The animated series holds up though, so it's not all misery.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The water level in ewj 1 made child me rage quit over a whole week, a high octane speedy game suddenly requiring you to slowly maneuver a vessel with precise directions at a time limit was such a bad idea. I have fond memories of the Peter puppy level but I think it was mostly the music

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To this day I don't know how to reliably beat the first boss on EWJ1 other than "shooting at it a lot".

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

It's astounding how much poo poo he bragged about isn't just not true, it's obviously not true. It's been sitting there the whole time. It's just that no one ever bothered to look, because no one really cared all that much. Being famous for composing some music from the earlier days of gaming and being involved in famous projects just makes sense. Why bother looking into his claims?

It's like he had this giant box with an itemized list of what was in it, and everyone just assumed all that stuff was in there. No one ever opened the box. Now I don't even know if his mother is very proud of him.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Grondoth posted:

It's astounding how much poo poo he bragged about isn't just not true, it's obviously not true. It's been sitting there the whole time. It's just that no one ever bothered to look, because no one really cared all that much. Being famous for composing some music from the earlier days of gaming and being involved in famous projects just makes sense. Why bother looking into his claims?

It's like he had this giant box with an itemized list of what was in it, and everyone just assumed all that stuff was in there. No one ever opened the box. Now I don't even know if his mother is very proud of him.

I blame Nolan Bushnell for being a literal carnie and infusing it into video games as a whole. His protégés: David Cage, Tommy Talarico, Konami, the guy who’s too into llamas, there’s one more important one I can’t remember the name of. The Silicon knights guy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Grondoth posted:

It was easier to be a successful compulsive liar in the time before the internet was mainstream, I imagine

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I blame Nolan Bushnell for being a literal carnie and infusing it into video games as a whole. His protégés: David Cage, Tommy Talarico, Konami, the guy who’s too into llamas, there’s one more important one I can’t remember the name of. The Silicon knights guy.

Okay but also this poo poo is hilarious.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I still giggle when I learned about Nolan trying to adapt Space War into an arcade title, and in his frustation with confused first time players (on a time where a videogame, much less an arcade title, was something that people didn't knew what it was), just put a chunky Physics book next to it as the tutorial to explain why the ships travelled that way around a star.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 15, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Mr. Lobe posted:

It was easier to be a successful compulsive liar in the time before the internet was mainstream, I imagine

It's gotta be this. Back then he could say he worked on EWJ and when you went to look, oh what do you know, "Music Composed By Tommy Tallarico Studios", that checks out, no need to look in to it further. Nowadays it's completely asanine to continue to lie about your Smash Bros Mele review score when we can bring up the clip in it's entirety where it shows that you can hardly wait for the introduction to finish before you start trashing on it. All of his lies were so weirdly surface-level and he managed to skate by by being Just Recognizable Enough--I remember watching Judgment Day, I remember seeing his name in the World Records Book and thinking, "wait he did video game music? That's cool I guess". The OOF thing is so loving funny because he's desperately trying to stay relevant to a bunch of 11 year Olds who are probably more likely to believe the sound came from a random youtube video than Some Guy lovingly handcrafted it specifically for Roblox.

It does kind of surprise me that neither Kuras or anyone else have tried to call him on it? Although, I could see being reluctant to call out your literal boss and maybe friend, and it's not like the lies are so egregious that they're not getting work; Kuras seems to still be working today while Tommy has hosed off to Video Games Live/his collico vision whatever.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

TheMightyBoops posted:

Wait, what did Jeff Minter do to deserve being included with that bunch of shitheads?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Minter isn't a hype man, he just makes trippy games full of his farm animals out of the love of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember Konami making some pretty decent games, at some point

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DMorbid posted:

Wait, what did Jeff Minter do to deserve being included with that bunch of shitheads?

Yeah, I just thought he was a weird dude that made games about whatever he felt like with no regard to whether or not anyone would buy them.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I remember Konami making some pretty decent games, at some point

Konami still makes good games but their upper management team is a bunch of morons and/or yakuza, so they’re really inconsistent.

Their music game division for example is still alive and kicking and pumping out more awesome poo poo all the time.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

DMorbid posted:

Just an unnecessarily catty dig.

Edit: now that I think about the rest of the list I do legit feel bad about it, it just had a nice flow with the sentence imo.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 15, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Minter posts in the VR megathread, every interaction I've ever had with him has been pleasant and his mastodon timeline is full of sheep getting pats and delicious curries. I will not stand by and see his name besmirched.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

SCheeseman posted:

Minter posts in the VR megathread, every interaction I've ever had with him has been pleasant and his mastodon timeline is full of sheep getting pats and delicious curries. I will not stand by and see his name besmirched.

Yeah I’ve heard interviews with him and even I knew he was a cool dude. Like I said I feel bad about it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Good :mad: Go play Space Giraffe as penance.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought Guy Who Likes Llamas was referring to Will Wright/Maxis and just thought it was a dig at Spore.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Will Wright's track record is excellent outside of Spore, which did overshoot the hype levels quite a bit (but is a fascinating game regardless).

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I was actually curious to see if Maxis did any post Wright designed game as good as Spore (not that it’s great by any means), and as far as I can tell maybe The Sims 3? I think people like that one, but more importantly I found this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkspore

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

TheMightyBoops posted:

I was actually curious to see if Maxis did any post Wright designed game as good as Spore (not that it’s great by any means), and as far as I can tell maybe The Sims 3? I think people like that one, but more importantly I found this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkspore

i played that a bit once, got it from some bundle while the servers for the game were still up. i couldn't really figure out who the game was for

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

for the longest time i thought i'd made up darkspore in my head until it came up on ross' game dungeon

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Whatever happened to Will Wright? Does he do anything these days or did he just retire at the top of his game (and making Spore I guess)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Zeniel posted:

Whatever happened to Will Wright? Does he do anything these days or did he just retire at the top of his game (and making Spore I guess)

Blockchain poo poo, sadly. Or so it seems. Claims that blockchain is "necessary" for the game he's working on but doesn't want to sell NFTs to end users. It sounds like a crock.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
richard garriot has also been possessed by the crypto demon and is currently trying to fund a blockchain mmo

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sadly, a lot of early game devs were just regular old tech bros who got in the door before it became a buzzword.

Some of them are still pretty chill. I don't recall hearing anything too weird about, like, Romero or Schafer?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
romero married an 18 year old romanian girl when he was 37

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah Romero thought he was a rockstar for a while, specifically he thought he was Bill Wyman. He's calmed down a ton though and seems like a decent human being these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's kinda heartening how we're all only 5 months of research and a 2 hour youtube video away from destroying the legacy of anyone famous who isn't a billionaire.