Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

1) Are there any that tie into Facebook Messenger so I can use their system without putting their actual Messenger app on my phone? I have an account to communicate with a few people who still use that as their primary social media, but I haaaaate their app. It would be useful to be able to message those folks on the go. Right now I only do so when at an actual computer.

lol no. Facebook really insists you use their apps. It's really hard to even get it on a mobile browser these days through selecting the desktop device.

Signal is great but their hamfisted removal of SMS makes it less attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Two questions related to messaging apps on Android:

1) Are there any that tie into Facebook Messenger so I can use their system without putting their actual Messenger app on my phone? I have an account to communicate with a few people who still use that as their primary social media, but I haaaaate their app. It would be useful to be able to message those folks on the go. Right now I only do so when at an actual computer.

2) Later in the year I'm going on a family cruise. I'm told that it's unlikely we'll have cell signal for most of the trip, but the ship will have wifi that works okay. What's the best SMS-like app that I can recommend to both the iPhone and Android users in the family so we'll be able to text each other over that wifi network?

Thanks!

You might check with your carrier to see if they have a cruise package available. I briefly worked for AT&T support and they had this obscure, hard to find package for cruises which gave you some connectivity. Might be worth looking into.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Try Messenger Lite for a Messenger that is not quite as bloated.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Use WhatsApp.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

H110Hawk posted:

lol no. Facebook really insists you use their apps. It's really hard to even get it on a mobile browser these days through selecting the desktop device.

I figured. Oh well.

Resdfru posted:

2) signal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Use WhatsApp.

How Boomer-proof are these?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My mom is awful awful with tech and uses WhatsApp to talk with her sister.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Signal is a way easier to use texting app. Just put it in the same spot as their regular texting app and they will never know.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My wife and kid use Signal. Neither one has ever had any trouble making it work.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

As others said, they're both really straightforward and easy to use. WhatsApp is used by a lot of people all over the world because not everyone has iphones.

WhatsApp is owned by Meta. Signal is not.

The hardest part for me in using signal is getting other people to also use it because their iPhone already has imessage, but sounds like maybe you already got that covered.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Resdfru posted:

As others said, they're both really straightforward and easy to use. WhatsApp is used by a lot of people all over the world because not everyone has iphones.

WhatsApp is owned by Meta. Signal is not.

The hardest part for me in using signal is getting other people to also use it because their iPhone already has imessage, but sounds like maybe you already got that covered.

My FIL I know won't have any issue but I don't know about two others. I think we can get them all set up with Signal though.

Thanks, all.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
There used to be a number of facebook web wrapper apps that I saw suggested in this thread years ago like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nam.fbwrapper&hl=en&gl=US . It looks like it still works but I don't use facebook so I've got no idea if these are still any good to use.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone know of a reminder notification app that puts tasks into your notifications on a schedule like the usual, but you can't accidentally swipe away the notification, you have to hit the done button, and if your phone reboots, uncompleted reminders restore.

I've genuinely missed taking pills a few times by the notifications vanishing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.isoron.uhabits

I doubt you will find anything who's notifications survive a reboot, but habits notifications can't be swiped away with a setting

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 1, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is anyone still using AccuBattery? It complains about sessions being split up on my P7, but I've followed all the advice at the don't kill my app website. I don't recall this happening on my P5.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I figured. Oh well.

Lol Whatsapp groups have spread brain worms across the world lmfao facebook gottem again

Whatsapp is the opposite of boomerproof, it's so easy to use that literally everyone outside certain Western nations use it

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone know of a reminder notification app that puts tasks into your notifications on a schedule like the usual, but you can't accidentally swipe away the notification, you have to hit the done button, and if your phone reboots, uncompleted reminders restore.

Tasks by Tasks.org will do that.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

Not fully certain about reboots but Medisafe is good at giving repeated timed reminders.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Any tricks to listen to YouTube on recent android phones? I updated my Galaxy S10E, and my old way no longer works. I used to be able to load a video in Firefox, pause it, switch to another tab and go to home screen. Then I could press play on the notification player bar.

It's on Android 12, One UI 4.1, Google Play March 1st 2023 system update.

Since the update, now I don't get a player bar in my notifications from Firefox like I do from podcast apps etc. Any other ways to listen to YouTube? In the YouTube app I can only listen with the screen showing the video, and can't get this to happen with Chrome either. I've also tried loading the desktop version of the videos.

I guess I gotta go back to using wacky 4K YouTube downloader apps on my PC and transferring the audio to my phone. Pretty much just for podcast-esque talk videos that don't have a podcast feed. $12 a month for this feature from YouTube Premium is kooky. Video podcasts shouldn't require giving 12 bucks to the man, we're already on several patreons naturally. What have ye done Google.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 9, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Newpipe should work for that. This version with sponsorblock built into it may or may not have an advantage for the podcasts you listen to.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Flipperwaldt posted:

Newpipe should work for that. This version with sponsorblock built into it may or may not have an advantage for the podcasts you listen to.

Much thanks! That works like a charm. First non-Play Store app I've installed too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

Much thanks! That works like a charm. First non-Play Store app I've installed too.
Yeah that tends to be the direction you go in when you want to do things google isn't too fond of. You'll find that a couple of times a year they'll do an update to YouTube and the thing won't work until NewPipe developers figure it out. The app should automatically look for updates.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What the good gallery apps these days? I don't want the cloud or whatever I just want something that lets me look at my 30k saved images, crop them and send them to Discord or Email or whatever. I was using Piktures but the last update hosed it up so I can't upload images to Discord which is 30% what I had it for.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

YggiDee posted:

What the good gallery apps these days? I don't want the cloud or whatever I just want something that lets me look at my 30k saved images, crop them and send them to Discord or Email or whatever. I was using Piktures but the last update hosed it up so I can't upload images to Discord which is 30% what I had it for.

Google Gallery

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What the gently caress, why isn't this already on my phone by default

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

YggiDee posted:

What the gently caress, why isn't this already on my phone by default

Do you have a Samsung or other phone with maker-specific apps?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I had Samsung for a while, switched to Huawei and then a TCL. I carried everything across my phones so I was using Piktures back when I was mad at Samsung Gallery. Forgot to check what the "defaults" actually are since then

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Do you have a Samsung or other phone with maker-specific apps?

I have a Pixel 4a and it's not on my phone...

I hate how Google's photo apps don't let you see ALL the images on your device by default. I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't want to be limited to photos I've taken and having to go through menus and folders to find all the random downloads. Most of that stuff is photos from other people that I saved for quick access.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gallery is one of their Lite apps which I assume is only pre installed for Android Go.

If you just want a dump of all images on your device, Google's File app does that under the Images category.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Uthor posted:

I have a Pixel 4a and it's not on my phone...

I hate how Google's photo apps don't let you see ALL the images on your device by default. I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't want to be limited to photos I've taken and having to go through menus and folders to find all the random downloads. Most of that stuff is photos from other people that I saved for quick access.

Gallery does this by default

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Two questions related to messaging apps on Android:

2) Later in the year I'm going on a family cruise. I'm told that it's unlikely we'll have cell signal for most of the trip, but the ship will have wifi that works okay. What's the best SMS-like app that I can recommend to both the iPhone and Android users in the family so we'll be able to text each other over that wifi network?

Thanks!

DeltaChat is an option too. It's an E2E encrypted chat that uses your email to send the encrypted messages. Not the quickest thing in the world since the backbone is email and IMAP and SMTP, but it has no central server and works with any email that supports IMAP and SMTP (which should be the vast majority). And E2E encryption should work on any email that supports Autocrypt and CounterMITM protocols.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Gallery does this by default

Huh! I guess I haven't downloaded an image in a while and only saw photos I took when I scanned through it quickly. Thanks.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I've been using simple gallery pro. Very needs suiting for me.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

taiyoko posted:

I've been using simple gallery pro. Very needs suiting for me.

I was about to get angry at this app based on the name alone until I saw it's on F-droid

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Are there any good budget apps that aren't Mint and don't require a subscription?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Farecoal posted:

Are there any good budget apps that aren't Mint and don't require a subscription?

Personally I would not use a second hand budget app regardless of condition.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Farecoal posted:

Personal Capital is a Mint alternative that doesn't require a sub or Intuit. I wouldn't call it a full fledged budgeting app though, and I have no idea what features Mint has added in the last 5 years or so.
But it does let you link all your accounts, track your spending by category over time, track investment performance over all your accounts, etc.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Check out Budget with Buckets. It's $49 once and a lot of people were switching to it after YNAB jacked their prices

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Deeters posted:

Check out Budget with Buckets. It's $49 once and a lot of people were switching to it after YNAB jacked their prices

Thanks, I'll try this out. I might check out Personal Capital (although it's apparently Empower now) if that doesn't work.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So I guess YouTube Vanced died? Is there any alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's called ReVanced now from what I gather.