Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also I can't wait to see if Kirkpatrick is gonna bluebook us or blueball us

we haven't had a government UFO science guy since Hynek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol back when I took a biology course my professor mentioned this experiment in the very first lecture. he thought it was dumb as hell that they never reran the experiment and just moved on after handwaving the results away

People can look around at Earth, and then think life outside it is silly. Reason #271000476 why olds need to not be in charge

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

quote:

The results met the pre-mission definition of a positive life response. But of course as soon as we got it everyone came up with alternative proposals to account for the results nonbiologically.
:goofy:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

polite orb declines to bother witnesses further

NUFORC posted:

My first wife and I were moving to California from Dallas in a rented U-Haul truck. We first noticed what appeared to be the moon infront and above us. I remarked on how spectacular and bright it was. We noticed after a few seconds that this object was on a collision course with us looking as though it would smash right on top of us. I stopped the truck. The object stopped. I just hovered there without motion or rocking. It was absolutely still. We got the idea that it was wanting to take us with it. We both found ourselves muttering words like, "Go away, we don't want to go," etc. Suddenly it took off as though it were shot from a slingshot going straight out into the night sky as far as we could see. The object was a yellowish gold, slightly glowing. I could not make out any detail in the object. It made not noise. It scared us. It was not from this world.

"one of them there damned ufo's that everybody's been talking about!"

NUFORC posted:

Thank you for allowing me to file this report of an actual event which took place many years ago....probably late 1960's I was working that Summer as a boy of (11 yrs. old). ...Going up and down a ladder handing construction material to the two older (family members- Father & Grandfather) on the roof. I suddenly spotted a large disc high up in the sky. It was about the quivelent size of a dime...at arms length, and was a bit duller in color...like aluminum....and totally soundless.

I estimated it's altitude later to be at or above about 10,000 feet, because commercial jet traffic enroute to JFK were flying below it. I distinctly remember watching a four-engined Boeing glide well below it, and noting that the object (which was hanging stationary in the sky above it) was nearly half it's size. I became immediately intrigued with the concept of what it could be, a balloon perhaps?...no..it didnt move like a balloon in the wind should....a planet in daylight?...no, didnt make sense because it was too large, and definately looked like it had metallic structure to it...and I called out to Dad and Grandpa on the roof to take a good look up at it.

After studying it, admittedly very perplexed , for a while...my Dad, suddenly blurted out that it had to be "one of them there damned ufo's that everybody's been talking about"!.....Granddad said nothing,, as I seem to recall, I think he was just totally confused by the sight,,as was I. We watched that object remain airborne above the jet traffic for nearly an hour, them were distracted long enough to recall that when we finally looked for it again, it was gone.

To this day...35 years later, and a now a lifelong aviation industry veteran, who has worked with many types of aircraft over the years...I simply cannot make sense of what it was that we witnessed that day, in broad daylight...I will tell you that it was no planet, and no vehicle of NASA's, that I'm familiar with....and it was evidently very large, but very high up in the atmosphere....

I fail to believe that no one else would have seen it, let alone reported it back then,,,especially, the pilot's flying in the vicinity of it.

I'm sorry that I must remain anonymus, due to the nature of my profession, but I can tell you that , on that particular day, and on two other occasions, years later (and always with additional witnesses) ..I had seen something truly unidentified and unexplained.

formation of lights appear and disappear over ocean

NUFORC posted:

I'm reporting an incident that happened 50 years ago in 1969 when I was 15. Due to my age, I was afraid to say anything- especially to my parents. Later, I became a government employee with a security clearance so I never reported it. I have thought about this almost every day of my life. Here are the details: Date: Mid-August, 1969 Location: Westport Mass., Brayton Point Road on the eastern side of the southern end near the ocean, Time: Mid to late afternoon (15:00-17:00)

Friends and I were in the back yard of a home on Brayton Point Road directly on the water facing east. For no reason, I happened to look into the sky in that direction and saw bright lights in a “V” formation over the water in the proximity of Mummy Rock- a rock formation in the water that resembles a reposed mummy. There were six lights suspended in the air. It wasn’t a plane because it didn’t move. It wasn’t the Concorde jet because there was no sound. They were not as high as the clouds. They did not move and in a few seconds, they disappeared randomly, one by one, into thin air. I looked over at my friends who were busy talking and facing in the opposite direction. I could tell they didn’t see it.

I couldn’t talk and was too afraid to say anything. To this day I never have.

I would like to know if there’s a way to find out if anyone has ever reported this. Thank you.

weird pink/turquoise gaseous object in NM

NUFORC posted:

Hot afternoon, sunny and clear, Placitas, New Mexico. I was coming out of our post office and saw many people standing in the road where it branched to the right and then up a slight hill to the left. This was a rural mountain village with dirt roads. Some of the people were friends. They were all just standing still watching something, quietly talking and I went to see what they were looking at. Ahead on the left branch of the road...actually above the road... maybe 50 or 60 feet off the ground was a glowing ball of pink light and in the center of it, the light was a turquoise blue.

It was a gaseous thing, with no structure. The intensity of the ball of pink did not increase or decrease in light or in color. It was luminous but did not illumine anything around it. Neither did it move in any direction. I just was suspended about the road and may have been about 500 feet from where everyone was standing. No one walked toward it. There were two houses off the road on the left side, one occupied and the other was empty at that time. (A week or so later my boyfriend, my son and myself moved into it.) I joined the group of people watching... and asked a friend how long it had been there. He said he was not sure but so and so had been watch it for a half hour. He had been there another 30 minutes.

So I joined in watching, mostly silently.... I remember thinking, "If this is a UFO... I am not feeling anything. Not excited, not frightened, just ordinary. What it is? I don't know."

After a while I got tired of watching ... wondered if it was fading a bit... but could not tell. So i left and went back to the group house where we had a room.

The person who my friend had mentioned had watched it for 30 minutes before others, later said to me, "In two days, the ABQ journal will print a report saying that it was a weather balloon."

And two days later, the ABQ Journal published a report saying that Placitas residents should not be alarmed, it was only a weather balloon" This was not the first sighting in Placitas... but it was the first one that I saw.

blue humanoid crossing road telepathically instructs driver not to run it down, then walks up steep bank

NUFORC posted:

As I was negotiating the paved roadway, following the lazy turn to the left at the top of the hill, a creature strode up from the steep hillside on my right and without breaking stride, looked directly at me and directed me to, "DON’T HURT I." The three words were clear and precise but without sound. The powerful engine sounds did nothing to dampen the order. My mind heard the words, not my ears.

I backed off the accelerator and slowed slightly while the creature completed its brisk upright walk across the road from right to left (south to north) and up the cut bank on my left.

At no time did the creature break stride or exhibit any difficulty managing the steep terrain, especially going up the man-made and much steeper cut. It was as it stepped onto the pavement that it regarded my presence and sent its order not to hurt it.

Had I so desired, I could have run it down. I estimate my speed before slowing to be around 45 MPH but was not conscious of my speed at the time, nor did I look at the speedometer either during or after the event. Higher speeds are dangerous at that spot in the road.

What struck me was the creature appeared to me a bright blue—sky blue and intense. It was clothed in a neat double-breasted tight fitting or tailored suit with matching pants and a flat-brimmed hat. Exposed skin was exactly the same color as the clothing (sky blue). I could see no wrinkles or folds as the creature progressed across my path.

The creature had almond-shaped eyes and a tiny mouth but otherwise was basically human size and human shaped.

During my next trip through that stretch of road, two days later, I parked and examined the spot where the creature had emerged. The terrain is steep with native trees and Chaparral, which makes a difficult hike for anyone, yet this creature had no difficulty climbing it. I also tried to climb up the 5-6 foot cut bank but could not scramble up without clawing and grabbing handholds and footholds, yet the creature easily strode up the angled hillside upright without straining.

I felt no fear at the time and I wish I had taken the time to try to communicate with it but driving at that location takes concentration.

impossibly slow WWII-era airplane-shaped object terrifies witness

NUFORC posted:

This event happened long ago, but it is as if it happened just yesterday. I was just fifteen years old at the time. Here is my terrifying experience! My twin brother was in the hospital which was located only a few blocks from my home. My aunt who lived across the street from me at the time wanted me to go with her so that she wouldn't be alone. My aunt was deaf so she didn't feel comfortable going by herself. We arrived at the hospital about 7:15pm. My aunt and I visited my brother for about 1-1/2 hours. At about 8:45pm when the sun was just about down we were on our way back home when all of the sudden something caught my eye in the northern sky. I looked up and saw two huge lights. The object was about 400-500 feet up in the air and as it started to pass over us I notice that it looked like an old World War II airplane. It was not what it appeared to be. First, there was no noise at all. It also seemed to be floating across the sky very slowly. It was NOT a blimp! If this was an airplane I surely would have heard something and if the airplane was flying that low it certainly would be moving much faster then the speed it was moving.

When I seen this and realized this object was not what it appeared to be I became so frightened. I have never been so scared in my life before then or since. Anyway, I looked down because I didn't want to see this thing anymore. I grabbed my aunt's hand and tried to run, but she would not run. I couldn't leave her behind so I just held on to her hand tight and held my breath because I just knew we were going to be picked up by this craft. After what seemed forever I looked up and the object was gone. My aunt and I made it home alright and I told my family what happened, but they thought I was just seeing things. As far as my aunt goes, she didn't run because she couldn't hear and what she seen was an airplane to her although she did say that it seemed strange that it was moving so slow. She was also puzzled.

After this happened I always closed my curtains in my bedroom and tried to stay inside when dusk came. I always felt that they would come back for me. I know this sounds crazy, but this event did happen.

Thank you for letting me share my unforgettable experience with you.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol back when I took a biology course my professor mentioned this experiment in the very first lecture. he thought it was dumb as hell that they never reran the experiment and just moved on after handwaving the results away

remember kids, in science the important thing is we don't have divisive ideas. theres a box and you better believe we think inside it

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

WEH posted:

polite orb declines to bother witnesses further

i love these sorts, like alien mormons but only if you really really really really want to hear the word

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
I caught something odd in my telescope the other night. Was taking multiple 10s exposures of M51 and it's pretty common to see a satellite (thanks elon) or plane streaking through a single exposure which results in a very straight bright line.

The one from the other night starts by following a sine curve pattern which then gets really erratic and then follows a straight path before disappearing (or the other way around depending on which way it was flying) there's no sign that it was the camera being disturbed as the stars are perfectly formed and ive no idea what it is. If it was a plane i expect the passengers would have a bit of a headache.

I'll upload if there's any interest along with what a normal starlink/satellite trail + normal shot looks like?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
:justpost: lets see em

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Coulthart makes some fun claims in his new podcast starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAV-nKB-L4&t=3425s

Summary:
The Deadhorse shootdown was not actually a shootdown. The object was hit with a sidewinder missile but did not fall.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Let's see that skytrash, Jolly.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Last night I saw an orb flying high between two stars or planets or whatever and as soon as I consciously noticed it it disappeared. At the time I was like it's a satellite that went behind the Earth's shadow but later I realized it made little sense as it was in the western sky a couple hours after sunset. I know the severe tilt of the earth we have way up north makes that a little more complicated to just figure out in your head but still seems the shadow should have been more easterly.

Then I realized I saw it in the same part of the sky I saw that v shaped formation :tinfoil:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mr_jolly posted:

I caught something odd in my telescope the other night. Was taking multiple 10s exposures of M51 and it's pretty common to see a satellite (thanks elon) or plane streaking through a single exposure which results in a very straight bright line.

The one from the other night starts by following a sine curve pattern which then gets really erratic and then follows a straight path before disappearing (or the other way around depending on which way it was flying) there's no sign that it was the camera being disturbed as the stars are perfectly formed and ive no idea what it is. If it was a plane i expect the passengers would have a bit of a headache.

I'll upload if there's any interest along with what a normal starlink/satellite trail + normal shot looks like?

Dude there are people vomiting out their dreams straight into the thread and you think you need to ask before posting bird pics??

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

post that beautiful bird footage

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

brirbirbrirbrbirbribrirbd

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Post post post post post post post post

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/jamescfox/status/1647377633724776452?s=20

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I love how it's impossible to escape light pollution anywhere except like the deep pacific now. I moved out to THE COUNTRY and hoped to see some cool birds but all I see is the lightdome of a small city miles away and a million airliners

american lighting is a conspiracy to hide something from us, probably

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Coulthart makes some fun claims in his new podcast starting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KAV-nKB-L4&t=3425s

Summary:
The Deadhorse shootdown was not actually a shootdown. The object was hit with a sidewinder missile but did not fall.

Can't recover the wreckage if there was no wreckage

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Dude there are people vomiting out their dreams straight into the thread and you think you need to ask before posting bird pics??

Right? Post ur bird pics, and dreams too for that matter

(I'm just glad we aren't having anyone interpreting the dreams. Openly, at least)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

still waiting for that video of the alien Mr fox

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I love how it's impossible to escape light pollution anywhere except like the deep pacific now. I moved out to THE COUNTRY and hoped to see some cool birds but all I see is the lightdome of a small city miles away and a million airliners

american lighting is a conspiracy to hide something from us, probably

I live out in the country. you can see satellites and and other near orbit poo poo. It’s funny as hell when city folk try to act hillbilly then start fearcrying when they see the stellar dolphins for the first time. Where you think crawdads come from, homie?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

still waiting for that video of the alien Mr fox

SFX takes time man, especially if you want things to look believable. You can't rush it.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

coconono posted:

I live out in the country. you can see satellites and and other near orbit poo poo. It’s funny as hell when city folk try to act hillbilly then start fearcrying when they see the stellar dolphins for the first time. Where you think crawdads come from, homie?

I guess I'm in the faux country then. Far enough out that my local liquor place destroyed all their bud lite but not far enough to see radar

them bugs fall out of the sky just so we can boil them, humanity is not ready for a boil in the stars

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Right? Post ur bird pics, and dreams too for that matter

(I'm just glad we aren't having anyone interpreting the dreams. Openly, at least)

Dreams and dots, two things you shouldn't strongly interpret

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I miss the stars. I could see so many when I was young. We'd sit in the front yard and watch meteor showers.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I miss the stars. I could see so many when I was young. We'd sit in the front yard and watch meteor showers.

A year or two back my partner and I were in the country at night, and while leaving a restaurant I pointed out the Milky Way and commented on how brightly it was shining that night. She confessed she'd never really noticed it before, and was awestruck by it.

I love city life but there are trade offs for sure

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I like seeing it but I did get bored/it became background noise when I saw it everyday

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Slavvy posted:

False alarm unfortunately. Now I've had a proper chance to take a look I can see a bit of motion in some of the stars too when you zoom right in so looks like something managed to nudge the tripod and caused a bit of oscillation.

Did capture a bit of the sombrero galaxy last night though before the clouds rolled in and it looks a bit like a bird.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What if it was an alien bumping your tripod.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
radar hacked the memory card and added a "obfuscate sighting" filter

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fuckers, of course they would have a distortion beam

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This hearing is gonna be 3 hours, and that's after the classified portion
It's going to be impressive for them to manage to convey no new information in that span of time but I believe it can be done

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

3 hours of slide after slide of big tiddy bigfoot

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
They've trained for this, 3 hours of no info is a cakewalk

Does having the classified part first shape how the unclassified part works I think probably yes and doing it this way will limit leakage

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol if you think career bureaucrats can't speak for three hours without saying anything in their fuckin sleep

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

They've trained for this, 3 hours of no info is a cakewalk

Does having the classified part first shape how the unclassified part works I think probably yes and doing it this way will limit leakage

Yeah if they did it the other way around someone might ask an uncomfortable question that they'll have to give a non-answer to in a way that's incredibly obvious that the answer is actually "yes reptilians run the government"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://www.commonwealmagazine.org/end-life-dreams

quote:

In April 2018, my wife of thirty-eight years died from complications of ovarian cancer. During her three-year ordeal, it seemed that every twist and turn of the disease could be predicted by a lab value or framed in terms of a statistical probability. Right up until the end. In her last days, it was not blood work or vital signs that foretold her death. It was a dream. If that sounds strange, it is because our society mostly shuns death and consequently knows little about dying.

At the time, I certainly knew little about the process of dying. Of course, I knew that the treatments Lisa was receiving were not working, but her doctors never spoke of how she would die or how close to the end she was. Only when she entered hospice were we told that she probably had weeks to live, not months. Even then, however, there was no discussion of how she would likely die or how we would know that death was very near. Thus, when she was admitted overnight to an in-patient facility to get control of symptoms we were not able to address at home, I was unprepared for the conversation I had with the hospice physician the next morning.

“Medically,” Dr. D said, “Lisa is much better. Her vital signs are strong, and she is not experiencing any nausea. This is the good news. The bad news,” he continued, “is that your wife called the nurses in the middle of the night to say that she saw her parents on a boat outside the window beckoning her to come. I know this may not make sense,” he went on, “but we see this repeatedly in our patients. When patients report a vision like this, they almost always die within a day or two. I’m so sorry.” My wife died a little more than twenty-four hours later.

quote:

Consider just some of the findings from the small mountain of data on end-of-life experiences Kerr’s research team has accumulated. In his studies, Kerr found that close to 90 percent of patients report having at least one dream or vision that could be classified as an end-of-life experience. These dreams are distinguished from regular dreams by being especially vivid. When asked to rate the degree of realism of such dreams, most rate them ten out of ten—the highest degree of realism. Patients often report that they are “more real than real.” They occur both during periods of sleep and periods of wakefulness, and they are easily distinguished from hallucinations or bouts of delirium.

Kerr has also tracked the content of the dreams, their frequency, their relationship to time of death, and the subjective significance that patients and their families placed in them. Here, too, the results were striking. Because Kerr began studying end-of-life dreams when patients first entered hospice and were not all imminently dying, he could monitor the dreams over many months. He found a predictable pattern. As patients approached death, their dreams increased in frequency and their content changed. Earlier in their time in hospice, patients reported dreams about living friends and relatives; as the patients approached death, the dreams were mostly filled with deceased family and friends. It was also clear that the dreams involving family members who had already died provided the most comfort. On a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest level of comfort, dreams with dead relatives and friends scored 4.08. Dreams with living friends and family provided much less comfort, scoring only 2.86.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I read that article the other day, it's really interesting! A lot of weird poo poo happens around death, and while as a society we shy away from the thought and the event of it, people who do deal with it will often have more to say about it than you might think

My aunt was a senior nurse for decades, and she's honestly pretty blasé about terminal lucidity, death bed visions, shared death visions, all that. It's just kinda Normal for her. She's seen it all, it's just part of Being Around Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

In the spirit of just post...

So my wife decided to get one of those in home IVs this morning. She's been having headaches and other issues and was going to be drinking last night and wanted to try it so whatever. Anyways my daughter is 3 and I know for a fact she has never seen an IV in any context and has absolutely no clue what it is but as soon as the pole came out and the bag got hung and my wife sat down she absolutely lost her poo poo. She has a speech delay that gets worse when she was upset, but I've gotten very good at reading her because of it. The only thing she was saying is "mommy" over and over but it was very obvious she was just incredibly concerned and scared for my wife. I've never seen her so concerned about anything and I got the incredibly strong impression she knew what an IV was and that it meant her mommy was very very sick. It started before the needle even came out so it wasn't that.

I know this is a big leap of logic but I just got such a strong impression that there was a young child has past life memories connection between seeing an IV and it being for her mom and what that could mean. I've never seen her freak out with such concern ever. I'm 100% positive she could not have any prior experience with an IV, she isn't in a daycare or preschool and her screen time is very limited and monitored etc. It was just the depth of her freakout and concern that really drove it home for me.

Anyway I know how strange that sounds and maybe she was just concerned by the unfamiliar circumstance of what was happening but it was so out of bounds for her it really freaked me out. She's making really good progress on her speech delay but she's probably going to age out before she has the speech skills to give a good answer to the "what do you remember before you were born" question that so often generates interesting responses from very young children.