Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Did anyone ever try blinking at the Borg Queen to reprogram them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is it…

Is it too much to ask of Picard writers to not kill off the only interesting characters in every season?

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I legitimately hoped that if anything came out of all of this, it's a show someday that would have more Shaw. So his death was really disappointing.

Rios and Shaw were some of the only redeeming qualities of the last two seasons. I really need to stop saying “oh this character is good, I hope we see more of them after Picard” because RIP.

This season hasn’t been unwatchable, but as ready as I am for it to end I did want to see Shaw survive this and maybe show up somewhere else. But I guess I’m not allowed to have fun things, so..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 15, 2023

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

apatheticman posted:

You could have first contact borg queen with jacks son and allison pill borg queen with picard as a semi locutus.

In like a family sitcom?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m pretty sure the writers are keeping Raffi alive just to spite me at this point

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Definitely looks like First Contact style nanoprobe vein stuff. You can even see little circuitry paths.

https://twitter.com/micaburton/status/1647252839188557824?s=46&t=ekc4AkfbiTj2Tr6RmBeOiQ

Perhaps if they had lit the bridge well enough on the show we could have seen some of that detail

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Trixie Hardcore posted:

In like a family sitcom?

Everyone hates locutus

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mica Burton seems cool as gently caress

I hope she gets to do something cool later.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Shaw better get to climbing that Black Mountain...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
They could simply put him in Lower Decks, which might actually be the best outcome for his character all things considered.

e: If they ever catch up to Picard in the timeline they can literally just black mountain him and give him something to bond with Shax over.

e2: okay now I really want them to catch up to Picard season 3. Clearly the Calis weren't included in the Frontier Day celebrations, so they are probably just out there doing their thing. Just do a whole episode about Boimler being pissy that they don't get to participate in Frontier Day. Then we can cut to the crew going :stare: when the thing happens, and go from there.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 16, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

They could simply put him in Lower Decks, which might actually be the best outcome for his character all things considered.

e: If they ever catch up to Picard in the timeline they can literally just black mountain him and give him something to bond with Shax over.

e2: okay now I really want them to catch up to Picard season 3. Clearly the Calis weren't included in the Frontier Day celebrations, so they are probably just out there doing their thing. Just do a whole episode about Boimler being pissy that they don't get to participate in Frontier Day. Then we can cut to the crew going :stare: when the thing happens, and go from there.

Captain Mariner just making static sounds into the comm when she gets the order to attend Frontier Day. "Bzzzzt... can't make you out... pffft... losing the signal"

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Is the Queen a borged Janeway or Sela? Why would they say what they said about mothers loving the villain or some poo poo

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Comfortador posted:

Is the Queen a borged Janeway or Sela? Why would they say what they said about mothers loving the villain or some poo poo

Wrong direction, it's the Outrageous Okona and the mothers like him because he's so handsome and charming.

Gaz-L posted:

Captain Mariner just making static sounds into the comm when she gets the order to attend Frontier Day. "Bzzzzt... can't make you out... pffft... losing the signal"

Jesus Christ I can both hear and see this in my head

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 16, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Now that regular Starfleet is destroyed, all that is left are the Section 31 starships. What a great setup for the show! Truly, Terry is the man with the plan.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Professor Beetus posted:

Shaw wakes up on Black Mountain. "What fresh hell is this?"
Shax standing next to him with holes in his chest that his borgified teen half-Caitian son made "First time?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Comfortador posted:

First Contact came out nearly 30 years ago. It is the thing Terry thinks moms remember.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
All Mothers love the Borg-Queen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Boxturret posted:

All Mothers love the Borg-Queen.

She is the ultimate girlboss

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you think anybody watching this show likes or cares about Jack? I don't think even the people who like it care about this character

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Do you think anybody watching this show likes or cares about Jack? I don't think even the people who like it care about this character

The actor is all right but he is the most Marty Stu to ever Stu

Surprised he's not from M'Talas Prime

Ugh... the Trailer for the finale dropped and they're like "oh no if Earth Falls the Federation is over, every planet will fall!" And it's like... why?

The other founding members seem fine, the Federation is fuckhuge and while Earth would be a blow the Federation could rebuild a fleet in some other part of the Alpha Quadrant and take it back, or figure out how to reverse the Borgification or something. There are other members of the Federation besides Earth, and plenty of smart and capable people like the D crew.

Just so dumb.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 16, 2023

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Jack would have been 100 times better if he was just there and not the Very Special Boy Jack

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can’t tell you a single thing about him other than he worked with his mom’s medical charity thing

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

IMO It's actually harmful to the family themes when you wrap it up with weird superpowers or apocalyptic chosen one stuff. Relatedly, Wesley wasn't even a bad character when he was just a character and not a supergenius or a wizard.

Incidentally it seems they just 100% dropped the thread about Jack having committed a lot of crimes, i guess thats one of those things about family members you don't have to deal with if they're the chosen one.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I actually like the performance for the most part, but yeah, he’d be 100% better without all this special unique destiny bullshit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

IMO It's actually harmful to the family themes when you wrap it up with weird superpowers or apocalyptic chosen one stuff. Relatedly, Wesley wasn't even a bad character when he was just a character and not a supergenius or a wizard.

Incidentally it seems they just 100% dropped the thread about Jack having committed a lot of crimes, i guess thats one of those things about family members you don't have to deal with if they're the chosen one.

Doing charity work means you can do a little gunrunning as a treat. Like a tax write-off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
https://twitter.com/terrymatalas/status/1647399633713496064?s=46&t=lwcbHHF5kMtOssgwSCnYEA

Strong “please watch” energy

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Goddamned she's beautiful

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In my rewatch I realized that after Season 1 nonsense Wesley is a good character that I like, and his relationship with Picard is very wholesome.

Like Wesley gets way better by Season 3, they aren't even the same character.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I assume that was just made up to arrest him? Like the Starfleet Changelings were just trying to create false charges.

Lmao though if he ends up being Khan II

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The D has always been my favorite ship and I want to enjoy its return, but this whole thing just feels so goddamn hollow and manipulative that it sours the moment for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

In my rewatch I realized that after Season 1 nonsense Wesley is a good character that I like, and his relationship with Picard is very wholesome.

Like Wesley gets way better by Season 3, they aren't even the same character.

I'm genuinely convinced the first season they were writing for a kid about half Wil's age. Like if Wes was like 10, it would've been obnoxious but it would've played differently. I'm thinking of stuff like in The Naked Now where he has the little gadget with voice clips so he play at being an officer.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The D has always been my favorite ship and I want to enjoy its return, but this whole thing just feels so goddamn hollow and manipulative that it sours the moment for me.

Big same. This nostalgia stuff just does nothing for me. If I want to see the Enterprise D I've got 7 seasons of TNG I can watch. Show me something new. "All the feels", gently caress offffffffff

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Jack just being a blend of Crusher and Picard's character traits would have been phenomenal. Someone with Picard's strong ethos (you know, assuming that's genetically determined) but wearing a blue uniform and focusing on science and discovery would be a supremely Star Trek concept to explore.

But, yeah, I guess just give him glowy eye Borg mind control powers and turn him into a living MacGuffin, that's great. :geno:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I liked him right up until "What's Wrong With Jack?" took over the entire show. Ed Spleers is a great actor and is working his rear end off to elevate the slop he's been handed and mostly succeeding on his charm and charisma alone, but around Episode 7 I just got loving sick of Jack as a character when I'd previously rather liked him up till then.

As others have mentioned, if the plot was just "Picard has to rescue Beverly from baddies who want to bring down the Federation and he meets his long lost son in the process and now father and son have to reconcile their mutual shady pasts and work together" that would be perfectly fine. Making Jack the Space Anti-Christ is just exhausting :manning:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Jack just being a blend of Crusher and Picard's character traits would have been phenomenal. Someone with Picard's strong ethos (you know, assuming that's genetically determined) but wearing a blue uniform and focusing on science and discovery would be a supremely Star Trek concept to explore.

This feels kinda like where Tendi's arc on Lower Decks is pointing at, especially pushing the idea that if she's going to become a senior science officer, she has to have the sort of backbone to stand up in a room full of command-ranked assholes and say "this is why you're wrong" before laying out a case. Spock was part of the main trio for a reason, and it's because he could hold his own.

This is also why Lower Decks rules.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TulliusCicero posted:

gently caress this regressive boomer nostalgia vision of Trek: no thanks

The boomer nostalgia vision of Star Trek is one where humans are just so loving special. The first season of TNG alone gives us a god who is scared that humans will eventually surpass his people because of how special they are, another god who judges humans as better than another species, a robot whose ideal is being as much like humans as he possibly can, and so on.

Nobody wants that poo poo in such large, self congratulatory doses. The one thing Enterprise did right was portray Vulcans as being just slightly infantilizing toward humans because it makes the humans eager to prove them wrong and also says that hey, guess what, there is no amount of enlightenment and adherence to reason that can completely eradicate prejudice and dealing with it requires conscious effort.

Besides, Starfleet and the Federation are not the same thing. Starfleet is ultimately a fictional military as was dreamed up by a WW2 military man, and that dream was overly rosy of the whole thing. Gene Roddenberry is not the only WW2 vet that had rosy ideals of the military; it's why so many of them felt okay sending their Boomer kids to Vietnam. "It's good for ya and builds character!"

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 16, 2023

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Craptacular! posted:

The boomer nostalgia vision of Star Trek is one where humans are just so loving special. The first season of TNG alone gives us a god who is scared that humans will eventually surpass his people because of how special they are, another god who judges humans as better than another species

idk who these “gods” are because I don’t remember any actual gods in Star Trek but if the first one is Q that dude was just joking.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trixie Hardcore posted:

idk who these “gods” are because I don’t remember any actual gods in Star Trek but if the first one is Q that dude was just joking.

Also Q's arc in TNG is going from humanity's would-be executioner to human's lovable scumbag defense attorney.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

secretly best girl posted:

This feels kinda like where Tendi's arc on Lower Decks is pointing at, especially pushing the idea that if she's going to become a senior science officer, she has to have the sort of backbone to stand up in a room full of command-ranked assholes and say "this is why you're wrong" before laying out a case. Spock was part of the main trio for a reason, and it's because he could hold his own.

This is also why Lower Decks rules.

Yeah, the greatest trick Lower Decks ever pulled was presenting a superficially flippant and cartoony image, but at its core it really nails the classic Trek philosophy.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's an especially sour feeling because if it had been handled competently bringing the D back could have been a very special moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The plot is all nonsense but it was cool to see the crew on the set again and I liked it because I'm easily manipulated and our world's nose-dive into fascist climate-ending dystopia has me craving simpler times when I believed in humanity's potential as a child.

RIP Shaw best part of the show.

I was really annoyed by this though:

"There are protocols - he's borg, sending signals, and potentially controlling other people."
"OK should we... you know, lock up Seven of Nine?"
"Nah she's cool."
"OK should we then... ask her for her advice on this current situation we're in?"
"Nah I think we got this without her."

edit: lower decks supremacy it's the only proper Trek we've had since the Orville

Hahaha their agents made sure Raffi and Seven were in the D shot

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1647283672889057280

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 16, 2023