Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They named a fossilized ringworm "Shaihuludia shurikeni"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They named a fossilized ringworm "Shaihuludia shurikeni"

That's either badass or so goddamn nerdy I want to hide inside a hole.

I can't decide.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's the latter. There's probably some previously unknown midget hedgehog someone's trying to name sonic as we speak

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

There’s already a Sonic The Hedgehog sequence of genes (SHH), doesn’t make people into spindly monsters, shamefully.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Anne Frank Funk posted:

There’s already a Sonic The Hedgehog sequence of genes (SHH), doesn’t make people into spindly monsters, shamefully.

But a mutation in it causes the brain to fail to divide into hemispheres, which is usually fatal.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I distinctly remember a super long version that played on the Disney channel of all things and many of the shots weren't color corrected. I've never seen it again but there were scenes that weren't even in the extended edition

:hmmyes: Yeah there were at least two different TV versions of Dune (the two-part TV release in 88, the KTVU release in 92) that were 180+ minutes long and used footage not found in other releases.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Fuschia tude posted:

But a mutation in it causes the brain to fail to divide into hemispheres, which is usually fatal.

I was gonna make some joke about that RUSH album here but yeesh, don't GIS those gene mutations. I don't feel like jokin' no more.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just thinking about the Orange Catholic Bible and the Commission of Ecumenical Translators and I gotta say it's one of the more laughably naïve things Frank ever came up with. I suppose it might make sense immediately following an existential threat like the Butlerian Jihad, but the idea of representatives from every major religion (with more than 1 million members only!) all flying to Hawaii to debate the spiritual truth and even coming to any sort of agreement after seven loving years is hilarious to me.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Seven years of loving

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mister Speaker posted:

Just thinking about the Orange Catholic Bible and the Commission of Ecumenical Translators and I gotta say it's one of the more laughably naïve things Frank ever came up with. I suppose it might make sense immediately following an existential threat like the Butlerian Jihad, but the idea of representatives from every major religion (with more than 1 million members only!) all flying to Hawaii to debate the spiritual truth and even coming to any sort of agreement after seven loving years is hilarious to me.
Honestly, as an Orthodox Christian remembering the 2016 council of Crete, I'd be impressed to see the leaders of one religion show up to a meeting.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And what's up with the space Jews anyways

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

what's up with ANY of that later stuff. your man was on a trip.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

There's already space Catholoprotestants and space Buddhimuslims; what makes space Jews unbelievable in that setting?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Fuschia tude posted:

There's already space Catholoprotestants and space Buddhimuslims; what makes space Jews unbelievable in that setting?

Exactly. It's a setting with space buddhimuslims wherein a major adjacent faith somehow stays hidden and unchanged for millenia instead of evolving into idk space wormreformist voodoojudaism

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Minus that weird poo poo in Chapterhouse, the Fremen were kind of explicitly Jewish? I mean, a weird cult of survivalists making do in the desert while waiting for the messiah to show up is sort of most of Jewish history. And the kefitzat haderech literally shows up in the book of Genesis.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Pretty sure they were zensunni

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That's not what 'explicitly' means. They have some traits that could be likened to Judaism but it's pretty spelled-out in Frank's writing that the Fremen religion (and just about everything else that could be called 'religion' in the universe) is new mysticism borne of the survival practices on Arrakis, and seeded just a li'l bit by the Missionaria Protectiva.

Which is why it's so weird that Chapterhouse just drops it out of nowhere that there are still Jews 15000 years in the future. I mean it stands to reason that probably a handful of religions didn't get on board with the OC Bible and just kept doing their own thing, but it's an awful long spacetime (and at least one or two Jihads/Crusades) to have passed to still be practicing that old a religion virtually unchanged.

And FWIR Frank's depiction of them is kind of questionable.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Yeah but unlike those religions, isn't preserving their culture and religious practices virtually unchanged for millennia kind of Judaism's whole schtick?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

Yeah but unlike those religions, isn't preserving their culture and religious practices virtually unchanged for millennia kind of Judaism's whole schtick?

What? The Zensunni stuff is absolutely chock full of Islamic references. That’s clearly the main inspiration and the religion it’s supposed to evoke most directly.

Mister Speaker posted:

I haven’t read it in a bit but isn’t the point of that appendix that those religious leaders were hopelessly naive and nobody cared or followed those original dictats?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jewmanji posted:

I haven’t read it in a bit but isn’t the point of that appendix that those religious leaders were hopelessly naive and nobody cared or followed those original dictats?

Pretty much, though if I recall it eventually gained traction because the powerful ended up embracing it and it became the popular faith of empire, not unlike Christianity.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The fun list of religious traditions in the appendix includes Zensunni Wanderers, Navachristianity, Zen Hekiganshu, Tawrah and Talmudic Zabur, and... Hinduism.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Orthodontic Jainism
Paleoconfucianism
Taothodoxy
Zorroastrianism

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DebonaireD posted:

Orthodontic Jainism

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

scientological deism

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

In just the last two thousand years you had a pretty massive shift from Second Temple to Rabbinic Judaism.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

rewatching dunc rn. Apart from everything else, it has the perfect orinthopter design and is clearly the best dune adaptation on that alone

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Puntheism

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

disposablewords posted:

Pretty much, though if I recall it eventually gained traction because the powerful ended up embracing it and it became the popular faith of empire, not unlike Christianity.

Yeah, having just finished the book for the second time (it's good!), the O.C. Bible stuff was a disaster at first, with a number of the creators renouncing it, dying at the hands of their parishioners, or dying by suicide. Only much later did it catch on. Which feels kind of realistic.

E: my tween daughter loved the movie, and is waiting for the second one before reading the book. She regularly says to me, "Paul rides a sandworm in the second one. Right? Right!?" I have refused to confirm or deny.

pthighs fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Disco Studaism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pthighs posted:

Yeah, having just finished the book for the second time (it's good!), the O.C. Bible stuff was a disaster at first, with a number of the creators renouncing it, dying at the hands of their parishioners, or dying by suicide. Only much later did it catch on. Which feels kind of realistic.

I always find that funny especially since we never get told how it went from an utterly disastrous presentation to the Emperor to near-universal acceptance, but it tracks with the history of... many major religions in the real world. Maybe there's just no such thing as bad publicity?

Also it doesn't take a lot of reading between the lines to figure that Fremen clearly descend from Muslims (or Muslim spiritual descendants) who are still pissed they're denied the Hajj.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jewmanji posted:

What? The Zensunni stuff is absolutely chock full of Islamic references. That’s clearly the main inspiration and the religion it’s supposed to evoke most directly.

I'm not Tobermory. :raise:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DebonaireD posted:

Orthodontic Jainism
Paleoconfucianism
Taothodoxy
Zorroastrianism

Portman Taothodoxy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

thread needs more pages

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

was Paul just a coward? what does the music drug sound/feel like? do you think you could survive a week as the baron's adult plaything?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
trailer when
denis

deeeeeniiiiiiiiiiiis

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

you have to be high as gently caress for semuta to sound good so I assume it’s just like any other jam band

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Riot Bimbo posted:

was Paul just a coward? what does the music drug sound/feel like? do you think you could survive a week as the baron's adult plaything?
Yes. Eerie wailing. The barons playthings probably don't get to live a week.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Semuta is just femboy hypno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

Semuta is just femboy hypno

this is canon now