Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Quiet Feet posted:

Does it? I feel like every Paladin I play against always has both out by turn 6.

I wish I could get both of mine out by turn 6, noting that I play sometimes a little more conservative against decks I know that can do a board wipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Cool so what about Blood DK?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Cool so what about Blood DK?

Blood and Frost are both problems, but Blood is probably worse. If they ever actually nerf FWF then Frost will be fine but the big problem with Blood is, there’s not really any more late game combos/bombs that used to keep it in check. Now they can just grind everything into dust with Alex and Patchwerk.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, it’s awesome. Blood DK rules

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yeah, it’s awesome. Blood DK rules

What list are you using?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Mayveena posted:

I wish I could get both of mine out by turn 6, noting that I play sometimes a little more conservative against decks I know that can do a board wipe.

Every time I drop both by turn 6 they get wiped to high heaven. So I generally keep them until there's something on the board I want to protect or if I just need to play something.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

some people really need to learn to read cards. Marrowgar's golems have rush. if you cleared my board of 2/2s i would have actually lost next turn as i had no answer, instead of what actually happened because you didn't, which is that i won because i had just enough additional burst from hand

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 14, 2023

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mayveena posted:

Might just be that the deck I'm playing doesn't have any sort of removal other than a lot of rush minions, so they're always a huge problem for me.

Might as well give up on ladder for the month because even after adapting my deck as much as I can to the new cards, I'm still stalling out between diamond 5-10. I'd hoped there would be an adjustment period where things would be a little more chaotic and I could sneak a few wins past people while they were still experimenting, but nope. Every single other deck I see that looks interesting is comprised of 1/3 or more cards I don't have so :shrug:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sloppy posted:

What list are you using?

Right I'm using pretty much this one:

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/decks/xl-blood-control-death-knight-4/

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

This plus drop the location for Amalgam, from Zach_O's twitter. I had some success swapping a blood boil for the double stats guy for the mirror, but ymmv on that one

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Mayveena posted:

It takes longer to get them to 0 level and some games you can't afford to hold on to them that long.

No surprise on the DK nerf, they should have done that in the first go round.

eh? they should've been hitting dk cards instead of just chipping away at other decks (which still aren't really competitive compared to dk) and that "nerf" is probably actually a buff because it'll just further help bad [dk] players mulligan better.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Sloppy posted:

Nobody but me cares but Duels is completely hosed by the Groovy Cat/Drek'Thar interaction to the point I'm playing Standard again and seriously considering a break entirely until it's fixed.

I mean the paladin bug existed for like two weeks and that was just a hotfix. Duels is a thesis experiment at this point

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So I’ve only been playing hearthstone again for a few days but I think blood control DK is my favourite deck ever. More so than dragon priest, jade druid at its peak with the ridiculous draw engine, fatigue warrior… it’s great.

Edit: I just beat a weirdo control rogue after a 40 min match. This is exactly how I like my hearthstone

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 15, 2023

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
I thought so too until I played like ten of those games in a row

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m putting together a dude paladin as well for when I need my games to be quicker or I want a change of pace, that deck seems super fun as well

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I find DK not very fun to play (with or against) and I'm sad that its overshadowing the rest of the set because I really like the theme and intent behind it.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Phoix posted:

I mean the paladin bug existed for like two weeks and that was just a hotfix. Duels is a thesis experiment at this point

The paladin bug wasn't that bad, it still wasn't as good as Elise. This is a whole other level of broken, even beyond the Shockspitter era.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I made a jank rear end version of this with 23/40 cards and a bunch of odds and ends and won my first three matches. Granted, one of those was an immediate concede but uh if people think I'm running a legit deck and don't want to play I'm perfectly happy with that. :ninja:

E: I am the scarlet kingsnake of Hearthstone. Or the coral snake. I forget which.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 15, 2023

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Boatswain posted:

I find DK not very fun to play (with or against) and I'm sad that its overshadowing the rest of the set because I really like the theme and intent behind it.

What about playing DK don't you like? It seems to support a bunch of playstyles. Not trying to be confrontational, just curious.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Personally, I feel DK is propped up so much by discover to an alarming rate. Every deck feels like it runs all the class + neutral discover options, and heavily relies on a small, juiced up pool of class minions/spells to cheese wins from me. DK reliably pulling stuff like Vampiric Blood or Frostwyrm's Fury out of their rear end when they often aren't even legal to put in their deck just pisses me off.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
DK should not have easy access to Discover IMO. You've got a class with a three rune system where each rune is powerful in its own way but can't be combined easily (or at all if you're running a triple rune deck like BBB). The rune system is supposed to restrict it.
Discover completely blows that wide open. When another class plays a big legendary card, 9/10 times I know that's that and I won't have to worry about it in future.
But DKs can happily generate multiple Patchworks and it's just frustrating to know they could literally pull a crazy strong card from their butts at any time.

DK can have a lot of strengths depending on which rune it chooses to run, but discover should not be one of them.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

It might be an issue that resolves itself as DK's Discover pool becomes more diluted.

However, if DK's design philosophy moving forward is "we can print DK more powerful cards on average due to the Rune deck requirement", then I would like to see something along the lines of "DK can only discover class cards in line with their deck's allotted Runes."

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Firebert posted:

Personally, I feel DK is propped up so much by discover to an alarming rate. Every deck feels like it runs all the class + neutral discover options, and heavily relies on a small, juiced up pool of class minions/spells to cheese wins from me. DK reliably pulling stuff like Vampiric Blood or Frostwyrm's Fury out of their rear end when they often aren't even legal to put in their deck just pisses me off.

I'd also go so far to say that triple rune cards should never be able to be discovered. They are all (for the most part) blatantly broken cards, but still kept in check by harsh deck building restrictions. This goes out the window when a Frost DK is allowed to play 4+ FWF in one game, without even needing to run that one Deathrattle Legendary.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It’s funny to see the complaints about DK as I recover my star rating. Haven’t played ranked in a few years, so I end up steamrolling DK at Bronze or Silver. I’m sure that’ll change somewhere through Gold and definitely Platinum, but for now it feels like I’m playing mostly against newbies with the occasional veteran player.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Blood DK is great, but I'm also having fun with lightshower mage. gently caress boring aggro curvestone decks.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Oenis posted:

Blood DK is great, but I'm also having fun with lightshower mage. gently caress boring aggro curvestone decks.

What's your mage list?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
bots are getting better at video games and it's making humans nervous

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah I like this expansion except for Blood DK. They have way too much health and they can answer to seemingly anything with the amount of discover they have.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Scholtz posted:

Yeah I like this expansion except for Blood DK. They have way too much health and they can answer to seemingly anything with the amount of discover they have.

that's pretty much this expansion. festival of death knights. hopefully it is fixed soon, but this last patch wasn't it.

on another note, tony druid is now putting in some work, making more folks break things and punch walls. the latest development has been the inclusion of mosher and attorney, which basically act like a one sided board clear that leaves you with a big boy to smash their face with, or as another finisher after jailer is down since the mosher will be immune (to most removal). very satisfying to use. something like the following:

### Tony Montana
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (0) Aquatic Form
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (1) Free Spirit
# 2x (1) Peaceful Piper
# 2x (1) Rake
# 2x (2) Attorney-at-Maw
# 2x (2) Groovy Cat
# 1x (3) Wild Growth
# 2x (4) Spread the Word
# 2x (4) Widowbloom Seedsman
# 2x (5) Nourish
# 2x (5) Summer Flowerchild
# 1x (5) Tony, King of Piracy
# 2x (7) Underking
# 1x (7) Zok Fogsnout
# 1x (8) Anub'Rekhan
# 1x (8) Mish-Mash Mosher
# 1x (10) The Jailer
#
AAECAcTbBAaJnwSm7wS+mAXWxgXN0AWq4AUMrp8E2p8ErsAEwd8Eje8EvJgF7qMF/N8F/d8FiuAFkeAFqeAFAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

ymmv but i'm gonna be jamming more of this since i'm stuck at dad legend again.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m finding pure dude paladin to be hugely satisfying as well - using the VS list. Kicking the crap out of everything that isn’t a DK, and even with DKs it’s only a truely awful matchup when they’re playing blood.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/Savjz/status/1647035408579170305

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Blooming Brilliant posted:

It might be an issue that resolves itself as DK's Discover pool becomes more diluted.

However, if DK's design philosophy moving forward is "we can print DK more powerful cards on average due to the Rune deck requirement", then I would like to see something along the lines of "DK can only discover class cards in line with their deck's allotted Runes."

The other side of the coin with DK discovers is that limiting them to only discover things that fit their deck runes is they become even more powerful by being able to consistently hit 3rd/4th/5th copies of whatever their best cards are.

DK is just going to be a problem for this year until all the neutral discover cards rotate out, and Blizzard make sure not to print anymore, and rotate out the few that DK have.

The rune system ended up backfiring. Instead of being a way to keep the class in balance, it’s is going to ruin any attempts to balance the class.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

All this DK hate is like coming out of nowhere for me… the only DK I’ve seen is myself. The class is really cool too, I love the rune design

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

All this DK hate is like coming out of nowhere for me… the only DK I’ve seen is myself. The class is really cool too, I love the rune design

That's probably because once you get high enough on the ladder, it's nothing but people trying to find the best counter to either DK or Pure Paladin.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

I made a jank rear end version of this with 23/40 cards and a bunch of odds and ends and won my first three matches. Granted, one of those was an immediate concede but uh if people think I'm running a legit deck and don't want to play I'm perfectly happy with that. :ninja:

E: I am the scarlet kingsnake of Hearthstone. Or the coral snake. I forget which.

Update: Yeah I don't know why I bother. Won 4 of the first 5 matchups and then hit a massive string of losses. Feels like every time I try to approximate a deck it ends up with some brief initial success and then just turns to poo poo.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Last King posted:

that's pretty much this expansion. festival of death knights. hopefully it is fixed soon, but this last patch wasn't it.

on another note, tony druid is now putting in some work, making more folks break things and punch walls. the latest development has been the inclusion of mosher and attorney, which basically act like a one sided board clear that leaves you with a big boy to smash their face with, or as another finisher after jailer is down since the mosher will be immune (to most removal). very satisfying to use. something like the following:

### Tony Montana
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (0) Aquatic Form
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (1) Free Spirit
# 2x (1) Peaceful Piper
# 2x (1) Rake
# 2x (2) Attorney-at-Maw
# 2x (2) Groovy Cat
# 1x (3) Wild Growth
# 2x (4) Spread the Word
# 2x (4) Widowbloom Seedsman
# 2x (5) Nourish
# 2x (5) Summer Flowerchild
# 1x (5) Tony, King of Piracy
# 2x (7) Underking
# 1x (7) Zok Fogsnout
# 1x (8) Anub'Rekhan
# 1x (8) Mish-Mash Mosher
# 1x (10) The Jailer
#
AAECAcTbBAaJnwSm7wS+mAXWxgXN0AWq4AUMrp8E2p8ErsAEwd8Eje8EvJgF7qMF/N8F/d8FiuAFkeAFqeAFAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

ymmv but i'm gonna be jamming more of this since i'm stuck at dad legend again.

Tony jailer is by far my favourite thing this set. Hoping it stays powerful so I can play lots of it but not so powerful that everyone else does.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Totem Shaman wins some games, drat. They did a great job with some of the cards they picked for core rotation, it's funny this game is old enough at this point that it can make me nostalgic about certain sets/archetypes.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Watching the Solary cup, so fun and cool that the BBB DK can discover two copies of the Scourge (a legendary card with rune requirements not even legal to put in their deck) and it wins the deciding match of a best of 3

Should have played around it!!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so are all my opponents getting ridiculously lucky or is Menagerie Warrior a whole lot better than people were expecting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Julio Cruz posted:

so are all my opponents getting ridiculously lucky or is Menagerie Warrior a whole lot better than people were expecting?

I put together a warrior deck that is not even menagerie and it does okay. I mean, about 30% winrate is not good or anything but I'd suppose a proper deck will be much better.

In my opinion individual warrior cards are pretty good. They just don't have any real synergy compared to every other class.