Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the power grid is fine when it rains, it collapses when it gets too cold. get your calumnies right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Collapses when it's cold, collapses when it's hot, collapses when it's a clear spring day with zero wind...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Maybe they should shave off like half a billion to spend on a power grid that doesn't collapse when it rains.

Help me balance my budget.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I rode my folding bike around the city today

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

You didn't finish unfolding it, mate.

Apr 7, 2003

it stands up by itself when you fold the rear triangle

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

silicone thrills posted:

Was watching the latest john oliver (yeah i know) on HOAs and there was a tidbit about an hoa that put speed cameras in and while I absolutely loathe HOAs, i found the anger by everyone at the 15mph neighborhood speed limit actually being enforced with high fines to be hilarious.

John Oliver is a car brained lib.

I saw that episode and didn't think he was giving a tacit approval of cars vrooming through neighborhoods. I think he was illustrating how these HOAs have privatized government and have no oversight. He was also making it clear that the HOAs become predatory once the maintenance bills come due for waterlines, roads, and other utilities.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

cars ftw

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I rode my folding bike around the city today

Wagner eh? Hmm.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RockWhisperer posted:

I saw that episode and didn't think he was giving a tacit approval of cars vrooming through neighborhoods. I think he was illustrating how these HOAs have privatized government and have no oversight. He was also making it clear that the HOAs become predatory once the maintenance bills come due for waterlines, roads, and other utilities.

it really varies by state. Here in MN there are all sorts of restrictions on what HOAs can do, and attorneys that specialize in that kind of law.

But if his video is just about detached home HOAs, then yes gently caress them. people usually don't distinguish the two. I might actually be in a condo association, not an HOA, which is legally different apparently

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 00:19 on Apr 16, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

eXXon posted:

I buy my groceries from a walking distance corner store, with my wife.

(not exactly but a new reasonably priced mini grocer opened a 12 minute walk away compared to the nearest expensive full grocery store at 30m and it's nice)

e: I see the person hid their tweet but it was something about a backlash from car drivers (besides the ongoing perpetual one??) in response to a tweet about getting 20kg of groceries on a cargo bike so I don't know what they were mad about in the first place besides the WEF/Agenda 21.

one reason I like walking to the store (biking too) is you don't buy as much crap cause you have to do inventory Tetris irl

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RockWhisperer posted:

I took it as him being like CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY ARE ALLOWED TO GIVE A 250$ TICKET TO SOMEONE GOING 16MPH

Like I agreed with everything else in the episode because gently caress HOAs but lol at that being a sticking item among all the other things.

Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

mawarannahr posted:

one reason I like walking to the store (biking too) is you don't buy as much crap cause you have to do inventory Tetris irl

I like walking to the grocery store because i can get incredibly high along the way and grocery shopping while stoned followed by cooking while stoned is one of my fav pastimes (I always use a list though, don’t want a repeat of The Chips Incident)

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

changing the paintjob on your brompton between destinations... now thats opulence

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Mr. Sharps posted:

I like walking to the grocery store because i can get incredibly high along the way and grocery shopping while stoned followed by cooking while stoned is one of my fav pastimes (I always use a list though, don’t want a repeat of The Chips Incident)

what flavours of chips did you get

Apr 7, 2003

Sphyre posted:

changing the paintjob on your brompton between destinations... now thats opulence

My wife's is the blue one, mine is the green one

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bromptwins

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

is that a dogwood? i hate dogwoods, they make me sneeze too much. ban dogwoods and cars.

Apr 7, 2003

fermun posted:

is that a dogwood? i hate dogwoods, they make me sneeze too much. ban dogwoods and cars.

I don't know, that's a tree in a city park here

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Samuel Glompers posted:

what flavours of chips did you get

Tim’s Sasquatch surprise. good af all dressed chip, but I already had a second unopened bag in the back home in the snack basket and I heard no end of it

Apr 7, 2003

Boy, I bet those Sturmey Archer hubs could get some kind of improvement via modern materials.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

yeah they're heavy as poo poo. i'd love to give a titanium brompton a go but $$$$$$$$$

Apr 7, 2003

Sphyre posted:

yeah they're heavy as poo poo. i'd love to give a titanium brompton a go but $$$$$$$$$

They don't ride like heavy bikes, though. I've gotten very good at carrying my Brompton around in stores. it's like an accidental fitness program.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Just posting my progress with my tandem cargo carrier

I've converted it to 1x and have been riding round with a spare seat just sent how awkward the extra size makes it. It rides really well so far so I'm thinking I'm on to something

Long-term , I have access to a metal/wood workshop and will be adding a flatbed with folding crates onto the back

I'm basically going to make the Kei van of bicycles

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

For anyone who hasn't seen it, the Soviets designed this incredible Antarctic land cruiser in the '50s: https://youtu.be/f6R-h06IsJw

USA tried our hands at it earlier in the late '30s, but it didn't go so well. We went with giant rubber tires thinking they'd move well over ice and snow, but they sucked rear end!

There's something atavistic about these fantastic machines, even the failed American prototype

total and utter car brain. doesn't matter what it is or where it is, whatever you are building must be a car

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/04/15/us/orogen-cash-blessing-highway-trnd/index.html

charity is car brained now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

I took it as him being like CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY ARE ALLOWED TO GIVE A 250$ TICKET TO SOMEONE GOING 16MPH

Like I agreed with everything else in the episode because gently caress HOAs but lol at that being a sticking item among all the other things.

I'd be relieved if people only drove 16 mph on residential streets

fermun posted:

I think it's a bike

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

silicone thrills posted:

I don't remember what the exact line was, but iirc it was something like "you get a $250 ticket for going a little over the speed limit" which made my ears perk up because what is a "little" over the speed limit? Where I live the cameras don't go off until you're at least 11 mph over the limit, but the drivers whining about tickets will never, ever acknowledge that. It's always "aw gosh you go a teensy bit over and they get you," never "poo poo, yeah, i guess going almost twice the speed limit was maybe a problem"

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I don't remember what the exact line was, but iirc it was something like "you get a $250 ticket for going a little over the speed limit" which made my ears perk up because what is a "little" over the speed limit? Where I live the cameras don't go off until you're at least 11 mph over the limit, but the drivers whining about tickets will never, ever acknowledge that. It's always "aw gosh you go a teensy bit over and they get you," never "poo poo, yeah, i guess going almost twice the speed limit was maybe a problem"

it's super funny when they're open about it. the guy ranting about getting a ticket for 2 over the limit refused to admit he was actually doing 12 over because he was adding the +10mph statutory minimum to be pulled over to the nominal speed limit.

Apr 7, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

These are the same people who bitch about cyclists not following the law

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I think that's a Japanese cherry tree. Perfect for romancing your anime girlfriend under.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

cat botherer posted:

I think that's a Japanese cherry tree. Perfect for romancing your anime girlfriend under.

Oh gently caress, I have one of those in my garden, I gotta turn my wife into anime before it blooms

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

https://twitter.com/JohnnyCallicutt/status/1647585696838742017?t=h9GE8WmCCpn27cJwgAHxpA&s=19

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

almost envious of the self entitlement you must have to walk away from this thinking it's fine

https://twitter.com/gmptraffic/status/1646871444251451393

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

look how small all those cars are lol, even that seems paradisiacal compared to the huge trucks and suvs i see here in the us

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
cars ftmfw

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

lobster shirt posted:

look how small all those cars are lol, even that seems paradisiacal compared to the huge trucks and suvs i see here in the us

I didn't take a picture but I was out on a walk with my family and there was one of those pieces of poo poo taking up 100% of it's parking place, 5% of a neighboring parking spots, sticking out into the street, and covering 3/4ths of the sidewalk.

America's tiny dick problem is reaching critical state

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

„I hate cars“ ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hosed up...