Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tildes posted:

Hm have people found that the smaller screen size is hard to adjust to for navigation to the point a bigger size feels worth it? The 840 does seem like a pretty good deal. It seems like the main difference between 540 and 840 is the touchscreen, and then between 840 and 1040 is mostly size (but 1040 is starting to feel excessive price wise). Plus a bit more storage with the 840 so you can store two regions it sounds like. Are there other differences people think would matter I am missing? A lot of these breakdowns are so detailed I sort of get a bit lost and I can’t figure out what I’d actually use.

E: also if anyone has thoughts on how to mount the garmin, curious there as well. Assume the stock one is probably good enough but if there’s a cooler or more integrated option I’m interested!

Don't write off phones. I use my iPhone 6S that I upgraded from. I can run strava, Google maps, trails apps, etc. It's not much bigger than the Garmins or wahoos or whatever I see a lot of people running. My needs are pretty minimal and I don't track any performance stuff, just distance and route, so it does everything I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

tildes posted:

Hm have people found that the smaller screen size is hard to adjust to for navigation to the point a bigger size feels worth it? The 840 does seem like a pretty good deal. It seems like the main difference between 540 and 840 is the touchscreen, and then between 840 and 1040 is mostly size (but 1040 is starting to feel excessive price wise). Plus a bit more storage with the 840 so you can store two regions it sounds like. Are there other differences people think would matter I am missing? A lot of these breakdowns are so detailed I sort of get a bit lost and I can’t figure out what I’d actually use.

E: also if anyone has thoughts on how to mount the garmin, curious there as well. Assume the stock one is probably good enough but if there’s a cooler or more integrated option I’m interested!
540 is buttons
840 is buttons and touchscreen
1040 is a big touchscreen

There might be other differences, but those are the biggest ones. They are all good options. The stock mount is fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wooger posted:

The bell also doesn’t reveal your current mood like shouting does after nearly hitting 3 loose dogs a minute earlier.

3 dings — borderline
4 - urgent
5 - angry

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

tarlibone posted:

I am firmly in the "on your left" camp, but given the sometimes absurd actions taken by people in about to pass in response to that, I have to concede that bells make at least a much sense.

Also, a shocking (to me) number of runners on my local trails are wearing earbuds, so they might recognize a bell as a warning instead of a part of whatever they're listening to more easily than they would a bearded MAMIL with more gear than he deserves saying "on your left" in the same singing voice as the guy from the Pepto Bismol commercial who needs you to know that the product tests diarrhea.

At least, that's how I imagine it sounds to other people when I say it.

I almost lost today it when a runner, with ear buds, didn't hear us approaching (yes we called out) and decided at that very moment to reverse direction and cross the path in front of us.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I used to ride with an airhorn (airzound) but I found I was using it instead of taking evasive action.

The only accident I've had driving that was my fault, was when I had my leaner's permit, was driving with my dad, the car in front of us pulled to the right and proceeded to cross the road to get into a driveway.

I hit the horn, but didn't stop in time. Minor damage.

My Dad? He was cool, he just said "the horn doesn't make the other car stop."

Note: He was a crazy good driver, ran a parking garage in Manhattan.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
ok enough of all that big shifter puzzle pie stuff (bluetooth shifters get the pass since they remove the puzzle part from this name callin)

anyone here ride a bike with internal gears inside the rear hub? been interested in those for a long time they seem so cool and something i need to get into.. For now this summer ill start with a STATE all road 4130.. i just wish they had better colors

VideoGameVet posted:

I used to ride with an airhorn (airzound) but I found I was using it instead of taking evasive action.
lol wow its actually a thing! thats cool but also cursed.

i was thinking of the classic white and red ones for boats in my imagination.. as i rode with one for a short time on my bike as a kid and the cops told me to stop honking at cars :( they honked at me first :colbert:

noticing i am seeing the word caffeine more and more as im looking at bike stuff online too ..is this cyclists doping with caffeine that can't be safe they're gonna get a heart attack like that or worse.. their pants are thin and the display is high in public sight

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 16, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Turmoilx posted:

ok enough of all that big shifter puzzle pie stuff (bluetooth shifters get the pass since they remove the puzzle part from this name callin)

anyone here ride a bike with internal gears inside the rear hub? been interested in those for a long time they seem so cool and something i need to get into..

I do, it comes with the drawbacks of noticeable efficiency loss and having to back the torque off when you shift like with an engine. It also seems to have more drag when free wheeling downhill.

Otoh you can choose any gear at any time including being stopped and it stays very clean and is very easy to maintain. I love it on my shopping cart but I wouldn't want it on a 700 wheeled road bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

nwin posted:

Are camelbak podiums still the de facto water bottle?

I'm all in on the Bivo bottles.

No plastic taste, way faster flow than plastic bottles.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I thought the default water bottle was the Specialized Purist

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Sphyre posted:

I thought the default water bottle was the Specialized Purist

I used purists for a while, and they're definitely tops for fun designs, but I got sick of them getting kinda scuzzy and the lid/valve just not being great.
Water comes out of the Bivo dang near twice as fast.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

bicievino posted:

I'm all in on the Bivo bottles.

No plastic taste, way faster flow than plastic bottles.

Huh those look great

OTOH, I have so many random bottles from events and things I'd feel dumb for buying any more

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Heliosicle posted:

Huh those look great

OTOH, I have so many random bottles from events and things I'd feel dumb for buying any more
Yeah, but they really are neat and useful. 'Latch and suck' gets you a lot of water which is nice.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I fell for the online marketing for elite fly bidons

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I rode the Amstel Gold Race yesterday! I kept to the "primarily drink nutrients" approach even more strictly than last week, only eating three home-made rice cakes throughout and fueling with 9 bags of Maurten 320 for all the rest. I skipped 2 out of 6 rest stops and took the ones at 66, 148, 184 and 213 km - the other two were at 35 and 94 km -, with the penultimate one being a planned skip too, but I needed a nature break. The one before that was much longer than I'd wanted, as it took 25 minutes to find a portaloo with toilet roll... :mad: The battery on my power meter got low at one point so I got somewhat nervous it'd run out and I'd blow myself up not knowing my numbers (which is dumb - I'm sure I wouldn't have anyway, but it was a glitch in my otherwise pretty meticulous preparation so I started worrying). No pictures, as I didn't take out my phone, but here are my stats:

I'm still kind of reeling :D My goal was to keep it under 9 hours so I'm really happy with my result.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

That's wild, good work.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
That’s super impressive (also, successfully following that route seems like a feat in itself)!

ilkhan posted:

540 is buttons

There might be other differences, but those are the biggest ones. They are all good options. The stock mount is fine.

Thank you, this is the level of summary I need

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

I rode the Amstel Gold Race yesterday!

Nice!! That's a pretty monster ride right there

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ilkhan posted:

540 is buttons

I current have a 530 and am considering going to the 840 not for touchscreen, but for the feature of starting a new route (that isn't pre-loaded) without stopping my ride.

It feels like a super basic feature (and it's available on all the base Wahoos) but for some reason its only available on the 800 and higher series Garmins.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any road rash care tips? I think I basically get the “clean it with soap and water”, but getting a lot of varied advice on how to cover it after on the internet + it’s bigger than any bandages I own so probably have to pick something else up.

(Also while my phone is a ok, good additional argument for a cycling computer)

tildes fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 17, 2023

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

tildes posted:

Any road rash care tips? I think I basically get the “clean it with soap and water”, but getting a lot of varied advice on how to cover it after on the internet + it’s bigger than any bandages I own so probably have to pick something else up.

L

Go to the pharmacy and get either:

- duoderm dressing (gel-like dressing)
- gauze and non-stick dressing (then cut to size, change daily)

I'd strongly recommend the first one, it's much less hassle than daily bandage changes. Its more expensive but trust me, the wound dressing ritual gets old real fast.

Whatever you do, don't just let it air dry and scab up. If it's a large surface wound it will be very painful, will crack and bleed etc.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's insanely funny to me that this is a giant nerd website and we've got guys riding in 100+ mile one day races. What a world.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's insanely funny to me that this is a giant nerd website and we've got guys riding in 100+ mile one day races. What a world.

We have national champions ITT

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cycling and nerds go hand in hand look at Germany

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i’m a national posting champion

Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i’m a national posting champion

Thank you for your service

Apr 7, 2003

I will never compete and my future is consistent ~105w daily rides. I do enjoy the competition posts or guys like e.pilot posting gorgeous ride pictures. Keep on keeping on.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Buck Turgidson posted:

I'd strongly recommend the first one, it's much less hassle than daily bandage changes. Its more expensive but trust me, the wound dressing ritual gets old real fast.

Whatever you do, don't just let it air dry and scab up. If it's a large surface wound it will be very painful, will crack and bleed etc.

TY for the tips, will get the duoderms, definitely not looking for daily changes

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bicievino posted:

I current have a 530 and am considering going to the 840 not for touchscreen, but for the feature of starting a new route (that isn't pre-loaded) without stopping my ride.

It feels like a super basic feature (and it's available on all the base Wahoos) but for some reason its only available on the 800 and higher series Garmins.

I just got an 840 last week and it’s pretty great. I didn’t think the touch screen would make a difference but it’s great.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cycling is possibly the nerdiest physical/going outside hobby in existence, especially over the last couple of decades where the tech nerdery and associated IT-man-baiting costs have gone into orbit

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

For a dead gay comedy website the skills/knowledge/success that winds up here is amazing.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

i want one that plays the first few seconds of that "aaaaaaow i feel good" song

when i get back to biking my next project will be a bell that plays 'oh yeah' by yello

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Seconding hydrocolloid dressings, they're loving amazing. Clean up your road rash when you get home, slap on the dressing, and leave it there for days. Your wound heals up way better than any other dressing I've ever seen, and you don't have to worry about changing it out after showers or anything. Every cyclist should have one or two of the larger ones on hand for road rash.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Buck Turgidson posted:

Duoderm is magic. The broad class of dressing it falls under is hydrocolloid dressings so you can pick up generic versions for much cheaper.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

looking through local bikes n saw this.. i think its weird how the seat is in the handlebars someones gotta have long legs for that

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Heliosicle posted:

Nice!! That's a pretty monster ride right there

numberoneposter posted:

That's wild, good work.

tildes posted:

That’s super impressive (also, successfully following that route seems like a feat in itself)!

Thank you, this is the level of summary I need

Thanks, guys! To be clear, this was the sportive I was talking about last week, so it wasn't really a competition. I don't race, but I'm a big fan of the competitive cycling thread myself :)

@tildes, I had the GPX file in my 530, but it was all pretty clearly marked as well. And there were volunteers/police stopping traffic at busy or dangerous intersections etc. It was much more straightforward in real life than it looks!

I feel a little silly that it shows FTP and weight in that screengrab I posted. I installed Sauce for Strava a couple of days ago to see my normalized power from last week, didn't realize it also showed that info... I didn't mean to include that, mb.

Anyway, thanks again for the support, friends :) It feels good to share rides I'm proud of with you so I hope it's okay to do so even if it's only numbers and no pictures. That said, I'll try to include some pictures or write a bit more of a report next time I post about a ride.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I am taking a mental health day this Thursday to ride about 70-100 miles of the Buckeye Trail. On the return ride I'll be visiting a couple breweries on the trail,.

I need more of these days.

On the topic of bags .. does anyone have recommendations for bike frame bags? I need to carry a bit more for this trip. Something for the top tube (downward hanging) would be great.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 17, 2023

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I have been considering how to try and avoid road rash in the future post-wiping out on a sharp, gravelly turn on a descent, and I think these are probably my main mistakes:
1. Descending too fast on a route where I wasn't very familiar with how sharp the turns were/the truly incredible amount of random gravel on the pavement. Kind of the big meta-mistake, but which would not have been as bad if I hadn't also then made mistakes 2-4.
2. Braking while also turning (although in fairness to me I was intentionally going straight when beginning to brake, but braking happened slow enough I eventually was in my turn, which takes me to 3)
3. Braking with the rear brake instead of the front brake- I try hard to consciously use the front brake/sit back in the saddle on descents, but apparently that has not become subconscious for me yet after a childhood of being told to use the rear only
4. Not realizing that the rear brake was adjusted loose post the brake pad getting replaced, so I wasn't actually going to get full braking power out of my already inferior brake. I usually check my brakes before riding, but I think in this case I didn't check it while going fast enough to notice that it wouldn't actually stop me if it mattered.
5. This one maybe ultimately mattered less because of 4, but I was also on my hoods instead of in the drops, which it seems like would have been better in any case to let me get more power when braking.

The other little things it made me realize are that I definitely was sort of relying on seeing my speed in front of me as a "oh, I should definitely slow down" check, which maybe made me not have as good of an intuitive sense of what is too fast when, like today, my speed display was on the fritz. It also made me feel that I should do more technical but not super steep descents, to get a better handle on how to deal enter sharp turns well. Coming into the turn from the outside to make it less sharp is definitely not natural for me.

Lex Neville posted:

I feel a little silly that it shows FTP and weight in that screengrab I posted. I installed Sauce for Strava a couple of days ago to see my normalized power from last week, didn't realize it also showed that info... I didn't mean to include that, mb.

Anyway, thanks again for the support, friends :) It feels good to share rides I'm proud of with you so I hope it's okay to do so even if it's only numbers and no pictures. That said, I'll try to include some pictures or write a bit more of a report next time I post about a ride.

Keep that poo poo in IMO! It's cool/inspiring to see how good people ITT are.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

mAlfunkti0n posted:

On the topic of bags .. does anyone have recommendations for bike frame bags? I need to carry a bit more for this trip. Something for the top tube (downward hanging) would be great.
Half frame bags are wonderful. I use a Revelate Tangle, but there's all sorts of options out there to pick.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Question about wheels/rimz.

My bike came with Roval CL wheels, which are 50mm/60mm deep. This is the first time I've had deep-ish wheels and although I love how fast they are on the flats, I'm definitely noticing the crosswinds, especially while descending (weather said 20+mph gusts). Is that something I just need to get used to/better at managing? Is it an excuse to buy climbing wheels some day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Residency Evil posted:

Question about wheels/rimz.

My bike came with Roval CL wheels, which are 50mm/60mm deep. This is the first time I've had deep-ish wheels and although I love how fast they are on the flats, I'm definitely noticing the crosswinds, especially while descending (weather said 20+mph gusts). Is that something I just need to get used to/better at managing? Is it an excuse to buy climbing wheels some day?

I had a set of Chinese carbon 55mm wheels on my old road bike and they were terrifying on any descent with wind (and I consider myself a decent, confident descender) my new bike has 38mm Boyd disc wheels and the feel is night and day. They don’t ‘feel’ any slower on flat terrain but they’re so much better behaved on descents / in wind that I don’t even think about it anymore. It’s a bummer, because deep rims look so much cooler, but I think I’ll stick to the 38s.