Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

JuniperCake posted:

She's gonna recite a death poem that's so badass that Jagganoth will realize he is a fraud and that he has always been one. He then spends the rest of eternity hitting the books, desperately trying to understand the true depths of poetry.
Roses are grey
Violets are grey
Everything's grey
I'm very sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Allison: Would you like a hug?
Jagganoth: ... yes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

or she's pissed off at her hanger-on for emphasizing that point tactlessly

I'm reading this in conjunction with the latest page where her husband gets a much terser description than her two children, but fair enough I might be reading too much into it.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm reading this in conjunction with the latest page where her husband gets a much terser description than her two children, but fair enough I might be reading too much into it.

Please don't read it in conjunction with anything, it was an edit.

In the original, her self-appointed student exclaims that Maya is following the roving combat Fiesta to get revenge, with Maya giving her a look and saying that the demiurges are beyond such things.

I just thought it was funny that she could get the full Solomon David treatment, but still be more hung up about her weird drunk Kung fu aunt.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cryophage posted:

Please don't read it in conjunction with anything, it was an edit.

:lol: well gently caress me, then

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cryophage is undone by his own power, as the prophecy foretold

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Cryophage posted:

I just thought it was funny that she could get the full Solomon David treatment, but still be more hung up about her weird drunk Kung fu aunt.

It is actually pretty weird tbh

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

maswastaken posted:

I can't see Meti adding another layer - at least not a kind one.

Yeah, I suppose it’s better to describe that is not kind like that, more in the weird super sword goddess auntie way. Meti kept from teaching Maya even though she kept coming back until a far more absolute fool came along.

I think that space in the story is rather interesting to consider: what actually got Meti to teach them? My read is that once stinkbolts jumped in, it was off: Maya had the foolishness to be a student, she just didn’t connect the dots about having to demonstrate that spectacular dumbassery to prove it. It seems to me that by having incubus around Meti could actually succeed to impart the far more important lesson here, and it seems she did by the look of things

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Continuing with my reread of the series, I stumbled across some relevant alt-text in Book 4:

"He was a coward by nature. An unparalleled master of sword law, who only knew how to kill and maim. An exceptionally poor swordsman." - Unknown

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lol i forgot how fun stinky can be when he's not wallowing in his own filth (which is very often to be fair)

edit: between the age card on dark cloud and her visiting meti for 14 years since she was a child (5ish) tells us that maya didn't really train under Meti for that long, in an absolute time sense. Less than a decade, almost certainly

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 15, 2023

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

It is actually pretty weird tbh

It's possible that this story is a lie, but also, I think Maya is more of a piece of poo poo demiurge than the wise mentor she presents herself as. I don't think she actually cared about her family, not the way Solomon David did, she cared about it in the way Incubus cares about things, that they were her way to "win" after Meti destroyed her. Meti schooled her about wasting her life, so Maya got a family not because she really loved them, but to prove that she could, that she hadn't been completely sword poisoned. She cares more about Incubus killing Meti because it's robbing her of the chance to get the last word. So in her warped mind, she sees that as the much, much bigger offense than killing a couple people she knew for a few years centuries ago.

Could also be a mistake on Abbadon's part, but the scene already points to Maya not really getting Meti's teaching.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
It might be that the loss of her family and her own failure to die with them is to bitter for her to speak openly about.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
maya is not presenting herself as a wise mentor but as an idiotic failure, as evidenced by the fact that she only grasped meti's very first lesson several decades and several hundred thousand corpses too late

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
"Don't make the same fatally stupid mistakes I did" is the most valuable lesson a mentor can convey, but it doesn't ever seem to take, across numerous generations of master and pupil. The fun will be in seeing how Alison actually, finally, manages to break that cycle.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Alison (taking notes): ...big hair....lots of side boob...

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Elissimpark posted:

KSBD had short hair and a closed top, ways to break the cycle confirmed

unrelated edit: just noticed white chains forehead symbol is kind of like the opposite of Zoss's. Instead of a circle, divided it's a square, undivided.

e2: also it connects with her whole body, instead of the zoss sign which stands alone

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 16, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elissimpark posted:

"'Cool' nickname"

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
Is it dumb to suppose that her husband was pre-demiurge Solomon David? I know there was art of Dave's wife and daughter's in his fugue vision and she didn't look like Maya, but still I wonder.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

EL Skirvo posted:

Is it dumb to suppose that her husband was pre-demiurge Solomon David? I know there was art of Dave's wife and daughter's in his fugue vision and she didn't look like Maya, but still I wonder.

He was on Ryuba and not Daitu, so I'm not seeing that, nah. Honestly, I was expecting someone to suggest Zoss was her husband first.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no she would marry some nobody cmon

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Yeah, I think the whole point is that she left the life of a demiurge behind completely to spend a few years in a normal human life that was doomed before it even started. I really doubt Maya's family will become relevant in any way.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

mayas husband was a stepcousin to Salami's wife

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Killing your own master is a transgressive act. Killing someone's family is just the way things work in this world.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

no she would marry some nobody cmon

Yeah, I know, just knowing this thread, I was expecting someone to speculate that.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's possible Maya's family hadn't been thought of yet, or just that Maya not mentioning them was for our benefit since Meti is a much more important character.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Her family matters in so far has shown how much learning the sword has poisoned her life that even trying to leave it behind for a normal life was no longer possible and foolish. If it wasn't Incubus someone else would've hunted and tried to kill/challenge her.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Meanwhile, Solomon David wasn’t poisoned by the sword at all before his entire family was slaughtered!

Same with Incubus’ parents presumably.

This is the thing Meti never solved, and was pretty honest about it. You can only protect the rat by becoming poisoned by the sword; poisoned by the sword, protecting the rat becomes a sick joke.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Joe Slowboat posted:

Meanwhile, Solomon David wasn’t poisoned by the sword at all before his entire family was slaughtered!

Same with Incubus’ parents presumably.

This is the thing Meti never solved, and was pretty honest about it. You can only protect the rat by becoming poisoned by the sword; poisoned by the sword, protecting the rat becomes a sick joke.

The very wise frog bowed its head solemnly and spoke:
"Theres actually zero difference between pacifism & violence. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

"It was precisely then that she completely and utterly broke my will. She asked the question."

"asphinctersayswhat?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF8Io8sMPJs

"For a short while I did not realize I had been crushed like an insect. I argued with her. And then... the enormity of what she said caught up with me. And I fled."

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Seems to me Maya simply chose not to share the fact that she had ever had a family with that one random apprentice, who was most likely neither the first nor the last impressionable hanger-on with a moderate amount of potential that Maya has had following her around. Similarly I doubt she told that apprentice anything much about her decision to give up leadership of the Middle Army, or her and Incubus's meeting with Yaun, or any of the other plot details she's shared with Allison in this narrative sequence.

In fact, that apprentice didn't even seem to know that Maya had once been a demiurge, something that's presumably pretty obvious to anyone who knows her name and knows whatsoever about the history of the universal war. Maya clearly didn't think she rated very high on the need-to-know list.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
"why don't you put the whole WORLD in a bottle, Superman Maya Jagganoth?"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

a computing pun posted:

Seems to me Maya simply chose not to share the fact that she had ever had a family with that one random apprentice, who was most likely neither the first nor the last impressionable hanger-on with a moderate amount of potential that Maya has had following her around. Similarly I doubt she told that apprentice anything much about her decision to give up leadership of the Middle Army, or her and Incubus's meeting with Yaun, or any of the other plot details she's shared with Allison in this narrative sequence.

In fact, that apprentice didn't even seem to know that Maya had once been a demiurge, something that's presumably pretty obvious to anyone who knows her name and knows whatsoever about the history of the universal war. Maya clearly didn't think she rated very high on the need-to-know list.

She's also very clearly hung up on Meti specifically through the rest of the comic, not just that one scene

It's clear her dabbling in the vegetable garden is a fond memory but that coming to a violent end was a totally different situation from family man Solomon David watching his whole life and world get taken from him. Look at what Maya is doing just in the previous page - revisiting the charnel house that was her hometown for the first time in forever to get advice on how to win from the lady who lead her away from it to begin with, getting asked about her assuredly murdered mom, instantly shrugging it off with a gesture of contempt and circling back to why she isn't winning again. She's the only demiurge save Mammon that straight-up chose that over a normal life, has at this point slaughtered innumerable normal happy families just like that one and very clearly places no real value on them save for the slowly dawning realization that the coolest lady she knows would be more impressed by the kind of person who has loved ones.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 17, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

She's also very clearly hung up on Meti specifically through the rest of the comic, not just that one scene

It's clear her dabbling in the vegetable garden is a fond memory but that coming to a violent end was a totally different situation from family man Solomon David watching his whole life and world get taken from him. Look at what Maya is doing just in the previous page - revisiting the charnel house that was her hometown for the first time in forever to get advice on how to win from the lady who lead her away from it to begin with, getting asked about her assuredly murdered mom, instantly shrugging it off with a gesture of contempt and circling back to why she isn't winning again. She's the only demiurge save Mammon that straight-up chose that over a normal life, has at this point slaughtered innumerable normal happy families just like that one and very clearly places no real value on them save for the slowly dawning realization that the coolest lady she knows would be more impressed by the kind of person who has loved ones.

You're forgetting about your pal Gog-Agog. For her... it? normalcy was never an option.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

For most of em it wasn't. Incubus went from dying child to some kind of mercenary to molding himself into the kind of person who doesn't die horribly in those situations, Mottom took the key in a desperation bid to just not get serial killed by her husband, Jagganoth also child soldier plus possibly some kind of angelic Terminator? And so on. Maya had a nice life and said "gently caress that I wanna be a killer" and then never looked back until the even better killer made fun of her for it she is not a sentimental homebody deep down

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 17, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A.o.D. posted:

You're forgetting about your pal Gog-Agog. For her... it? normalcy was never an option.

this seems to be the point - for most of the demiurges just being a normal, happy person wasn't a choice they could have made at any point. mottom was the prize bride to a weirdo murderous tyrant, salami had everything taken from him by the depradations of yemmod, jagganoth was an ultratraumatised child soldier, incubus a feral orphan, jadis went to a british boarding school and gog-agog is worms

all of those were basically thrust into a position where they could be powerful or crushed. maya could have just stayed in the yellow city and been a noodle vendor until whichever psycho conqueror rolled through, a more dignified life than that of the conqueror. she actively sought out violence as a conscious choice before it was forced on her.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
So could Alison, and yet here we are.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
incubus’s first step on the path he took was also being offered a bowl of noodles and instead taking a sword. you could easily make the argument that his circumstances coerced him into that life (he’d definitely believe so) but it’s still a more obvious crossroads than anything we’ve seen from the other demiurges

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Ironically enough the only one among the Seven whose first steps toward Demiurgehood seem to have been taken out of his own initiative is Mammon, from a species who's not even supposed to have that much Will in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oxxidation posted:

incubus’s first step on the path he took was also being offered a bowl of noodles and instead taking a sword. you could easily make the argument that his circumstances coerced him into that life (he’d definitely believe so) but it’s still a more obvious crossroads than anything we’ve seen from the other demiurges

That bowl of noodles would have fed him once. He's clearly missed more than 1 meal, and would likely have eventually starved to death after that 1 act of charity in the long run. Learning the sword was his only hope for getting more out of life, unless we suppose the noodle maker family would have adopted him, which seems unlikely