Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Read After Burning posted:

I got my tax return today, and while I'm putting most of it into savings like a responsible "adult", I'm heading to Metavinyl (now Redwood Records) after work to snag these. :getin:

Some jazz (really like the cover on this one):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Cookin%27_(album)

And an instrumental beats album by Kenny Beats:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_(album)

That Kenny Beats record is great and is (not really) named after me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Tracking told me Thursday so I was a bit surprised when 20lbs of records showed up today. Haha that Bowie box is a beast. Glad I could help out with ruining some budgets this month.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The Bowie Box is MASSIVE. What the gently caress. I did not expect it to be this big.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Frozen Peach posted:

The Bowie Box is MASSIVE. What the gently caress. I did not expect it to be this big.

And there's four others (one more coming eventually, I imagine: heathen to blackstar) of similar stature

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Seeing the size of all of those Bowie boxsets makes me feel grateful I’m not a completionist like that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dorium posted:

Seeing the size of all of those Bowie boxsets makes me feel grateful I’m not a completionist like that.

Yeah on one hand I'm a bit jelly but on the other I already have too much poo poo. How much did y'all pay for that one anyway?

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Did my taxes recently and added up all I spent on records this year since I can deduct it as research media.

Um… I may have a problem…

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

pwn posted:

Yeah on one hand I'm a bit jelly but on the other I already have too much poo poo. How much did y'all pay for that one anyway?

It was like $73 with free shipping. List price is $400, it's on Amazon for $275 i think.

I got it mainly for Outside and Earthling but that BBC radio recording sounds amazing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

bagina posted:

Did my taxes recently and added up all I spent on records this year since I can deduct it as research media.

yeah the curse of the creative field "oh i can just write this off at the end of the year, this is great research!"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

bagina posted:

I can't deduct mine. I may have a bigger problem. My only saving grace is that I make a lot of money to counter my spending lol

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
On one hand that's a hell of a deal for the Bowie box set.

On the other I don't listen to those albums of his much and I don't have much room in my current record storage.

Quite the pickle...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hot Diggity! posted:

On one hand that's a hell of a deal for the Bowie box set.

On the other I don't listen to those albums of his much and I don't have much room in my current record storage.

Quite the pickle...

You're in "luck", that Bowie set is now listed as sold out.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

for me, this bowie box is actually stuff I like and will listen to, along with stuff I would like to hear that I haven't gotten a chance to yet.

hours is absolutely one of my favorites of his
outside and earthling aren't quite on that level, but I like them
I somehow have never gotten around to black tie, so here's my chance
I have no actual idea what the buddha of suburbia is
I haven't heard the BBC session, but I have watched his glastonbury appearance that was like three days earlier, and it's completely ace, definitely going to spin that on the semi-regular
I downloaded an earlier, leaked version of toy years back, before he died, even and am interested to hear this version, which is slightly different in its track listing (the version being passed around back then included a couple tracks that were rerecorded for heathen - afraid and an early version of slip away under the title uncle floyd)

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

hexwren posted:

for me, this bowie box is actually stuff I like and will listen to, along with stuff I would like to hear that I haven't gotten a chance to yet.

hours is absolutely one of my favorites of his
outside and earthling aren't quite on that level, but I like them
I somehow have never gotten around to black tie, so here's my chance
I have no actual idea what the buddha of suburbia is
I haven't heard the BBC session, but I have watched his glastonbury appearance that was like three days earlier, and it's completely ace, definitely going to spin that on the semi-regular
I downloaded an earlier, leaked version of toy years back, before he died, even and am interested to hear this version, which is slightly different in its track listing (the version being passed around back then included a couple tracks that were rerecorded for heathen - afraid and an early version of slip away under the title uncle floyd)

Buddha was music he did for a TV adaptation of the novel. It was long out of print until recently.

The BBC session is amazing and was previously only available in a condensed version on a special edition box set of his early 70s BBC recordings. It rocked even in the condensed version and I can't wait to hear the full concert.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Ballz posted:

You're in "luck", that Bowie set is now listed as sold out.

The system works

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Deftones and Depeche Mode box set today, along with a single vinyl Foo Fighters record. Everything packed well and arrived looking fine. Seems legit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah mines due today too. Everyone else buying Bowie, and I’ve got Mariah.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I got excited because I got a notification that the big Almost Famous set was back in stock from the guy, only to find the sale was over and it's back up to ~150$ now :(

Alas.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Got my Bowie box set today and the box had the corner bashed in something fierce. Thankfully the packed it with the foam supports and the box set itself was unscathed.

I'm still in disbelief about the deal I got on this thing. Now after all these years I have a completed Bowie studio album collection (over both CD and vinyl) as Buddha was the only one I was never able to get.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just picked this up and knew I had to. Loved this album way back in the day mainly cause of the kaiju samples but everything else was so drat good. I was debating as I fell asleep to pick it up or not, lol.

E: oh poo poo it comes with a cut out of the album you can display! I don’t know if I wanna gently caress with that tho

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 17, 2023

marjorie
May 4, 2014

esperantinc posted:

I got excited because I got a notification that the big Almost Famous set was back in stock from the guy, only to find the sale was over and it's back up to ~150$ now :(

Alas.

I'd keep it in your watch list if I were you. The seller has sales like this all the time, so it's likely to drop in price again.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Yeah, the Beatles box set flipped between 40, 100, 118 a few times in the last few days (sold out now). So check often.

pwn
May 27, 2004

esperantinc posted:

Alas.

It's showing up as $100 for me. Considering that set sold for $200 from Udiscover when it came out 2 years ago, that's still a decent deal.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Got my other order. These came out to $60. Thanks for posting this crazy deal!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Why do records take up so much space, ARRRRRRGH. :sigh:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
When I moved to my apartment 2 years ago, I had 10 records. Now I'm at 149, and I've ordered several new reprints the last few days including Electric Lady by Janelle Monae, and Want One and Want Two by Rufus Wainwright. I need to stop.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I miss when i had 149 records

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

pwn posted:

I miss when i had 149 records

I crossed 149 a week or two ago lol. So far I've found two of these https://a.co/d/aQ2TDA3 and two of these https://a.co/d/1Hy8ivT are pretty effective. Pulling all the double albums out of the cubes and into the trays also helped a lot.

Current count is 162 with 2 more coming tomorrow and 10 more in various states of pre-order/awaiting shipment.

But at least I got a couple of the Oingo Boingo reissues

So-Lo and Dark at the End are arriving tomorrow despite being ordered at the same time from the same seller on eBay :v:

Now they just need to get the additional reprints of Only a Lad in stock.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I haven't counted in a while and I'm kind of afraid to.

e: I am acutely aware that my cubes and bins are filling up rapidly

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 18, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Discogs says I have 1,150 records but I have plenty I haven’t entered.

I guess some of those are bootleg CDs or rarer cds. So I might only have 1,100 records, plus what I haven’t put in Discogs.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Read After Burning posted:

Why do records take up so much space, ARRRRRRGH. :sigh:

Yeah, I've basically reached the maximum amount of space I'm willing to commit to storing records in my home. Kind of a bummer but I knew it would happen at some point. I could probably thin the collection a bit but there really isn't anything I have that I don't still enjoy and listen to here and there.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have 473 records and 614 CDs. I love the spread that Discogs puts on my collection - minimum value $6,644.51, median $12,601.06 and max $30,088.53. I think it's mostly due to the vintage stuff I inherited from my folks, many of which go from $5 to $500.

stuff like this, which I imagine is ranging from "just the sleeve, and also it's bent and covered in crayon" to "new, still sealed, literally never seen the light of day, delivered by the band themselves"

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 18, 2023

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I would just go ahead and throw out the max value on discogs for anything like that. Like you're saying it might be possible if it's still in shrink from the 70s or something but there's just far too many copies of these albums for anything not extraordinary to be much more than the already high median values.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Median value is a decent indicator, though for me I mostly collect thrift store records so I just have to know that the average condition of one sold on discogs is usually higher than one of mine.

Currently I'm sitting at just over 1,000. I'm going to try and purge more at a garage sale this year again.

edit:

Enos Cabell posted:

Lemme know when you do, I think I'm local to ya and need to beef up my paltry ~400ish albums.
Will do!

wa27 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 18, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wa27 posted:

Median value is a decent indicator, though for me I mostly collect thrift store records so I just have to know that the average condition of one sold on discogs is usually higher than one of mine.

Currently I'm sitting at just over 1,000. I'm going to try and purge more at a garage sale this year again.

Lemme know when you do, I think I'm local to ya and need to beef up my paltry ~400ish albums.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I have over 300 according to my Discogs list and I'm quickly running out of space. It doesn't help I'm a TMR Vault subscriber and those sets on average take up a lot of space. If I mooved those I'd have much more space in my current setup.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I did a splurge at my local record shop

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Discogs has me at about 100 45s and 300 33s/78s. I inherited about half of that from Dad's 1970s soft rock collection and a decent stack out of my grandparents' 1960s country stuff.

Plus about 50 more 8-tracks. Not a darn bit of it worth anything, except there must be a bunch of Doors fans on Discogs. I have a couple of 8-tracks of them that have fetched a bit of money.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Vinyl Storage Solutions has a 30% discount going to RSD. Code RSD30.

I'm a huge fan of their 3m inner sleaves. They're outer sleaves are really nice as well but run a little tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I wish MoFi would hire a single person that's less than like 70 years old. They just released a new Ultradisc and, of course, it's Elvis loving Presley.