Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
What about Colony Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

What about Colony Wars

Now that’s a loving opera.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Been missing Psygnosis pretty bad these days

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

kazil posted:

could be worse, EA could be making those games

They did. F1 '22 managed to blow up all expectations on just how awful it could be.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I wish there was a REALLY GOOD space trucker game. Elite Dangerous is probably the best in that category, but it's boring doing trade runs there for the most part. Give me a game where I can do long hauls that take awhile but I have to adjust course and deal with equipment malfunctions. Like I want something that's more about keeping the ship on course and running and dealing with environmental hazards to make deliveries, and less about every issue just being space pirates again.

I haven't played E:D for literally years, but I loved getting out in the buggy scanning for stuff on the planets. It would be great if I could find procedurally generated cave systems to drive through looking for weird stuff tucked away. I guess I'm thinking about a space version of exploring with the PRAWN suit in Subnautica, minus the water.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's not quite pure space trucking, but core asteroid mining in E:D was imo a very fun version of space trucking: the games space trucking alone isn't much fun, but when your job also involves the manual (and pretty fun) extraction of resources, and then trucking a cargo hold full of extremely valuable resources to a station where it will sell for the most, the trucking part became more tense and meaningful.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm really loving Everspace 2 in almost every way. The one thing I think it's deficient in, and a lot of space sims get this wrong, is that there isn't enough radio chatter. Outside of the scripted missions, there is almost no chatter whatsoever. It would be nice if friendlies and enemies would radio you randomly as you roam around the systems.

I agree. Just for ambience I'd like a space game to have tons of nasa mission control style chatter between ships that have nothing to do with you just docking/coordinating movements/etc.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That reminds me of the other reason I loved E:D as a space trucking game: There is an in-universe talk radio that used to update with new lengthy stories and interviews on a regular basis (Like daily or weekly, I think they made it much less frequent at some point though?). And when you had heard all of the current news, there was a big in-game encyclopedia/history textbook that could read itself to you while you flew around.

It was cool just being some nameless pilot on the rear end-end of the galaxy scanning asteroid fields for high-value targets, cracking asteroids open with shaped charges to get at the valuable resources inside, and hauling them to a station, listening to the news and grumbling about the bullshit wars starting on the other end of the galaxy, and being spooked out by stories about mysterious alien ships being spotted in a system near you.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's not quite pure space trucking, but core asteroid mining in E:D was imo a very fun version of space trucking: the games space trucking alone isn't much fun, but when your job also involves the manual (and pretty fun) extraction of resources, and then trucking a cargo hold full of extremely valuable resources to a station where it will sell for the most, the trucking part became more tense and meaningful.

Hell yeah that poo poo ruled. The next time I came back to Elite Dangerous they apparently went through lengths to make that nowhere near as profitable iirc. Still though the actual mining of the asteroid was a lot of fun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played over 400 hours of that game and I never even touched the combat :allears: It gets a really bad rap but it's mostly because of combat-related stuff (e.g. the engineer grind is bullshit, but it's only necessary for combat/pvp), all of the Sim aspects are just great.

e: The flight out to Beagle Outpost is also one of those things that no other game could ever quite capture. Beagle Outpost is the furthest outpost from Sol in the ED universe and the process of getting there takes literal weeks of playtime, during which you are so absurdly cut off from any form of civilization that if anything goes wrong, you're hosed with no one to save you. You have to learn a lot of risky skills like neutron star hopping and plot your own course through the neutron highway, and to make the trip worth your while you're also going to be popping around looking for never-before-scanned planets (and finding tons of them!) and otherwise visiting a whole lot of places that no other player has ever been. It actually felt like an arduous trek in a way that wouldn't be fun for most people but as far as immersive space sim experience goes it was top-notch.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 15, 2023

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Just play Starsector and forget about the other space games.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sab669 posted:

One of the early missions was like, "Come back with 4500 gold" and I have like 300g because I've been dumping a ton to unlock a Perk and that kinda killed my mood on the game
said dude also gives you 3.5k for a shortish side quest, but yeah it's a little lame at a time where you might not even have a hundred to your name

(e)

FuzzySlippers posted:

I agree. Just for ambience I'd like a space game to have tons of nasa mission control style chatter between ships that have nothing to do with you just docking/coordinating movements/etc.
:yeah:

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

In my mind "retro games" is always going to refer to Atari and Commodore and poo poo like that and no one can convince me otherwise :colbert:

Tired: Sega vs Nintendo
Inspired: Spectrum vs Amstrad

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cheap Trick posted:

Tired: Sega vs Nintendo
Inspired: Spectrum vs Amstrad

Spectrum vs C64. One the one hand, the C64 was a more powerful machine and better in almost every way. On the other hand, Speccy forever.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Fair, I picked those two because in my mind they were the most equivalent (I don't actually know their relative processing power etc.)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Never owned any of those super old pre-IBM PCs, so I can't comment, except that the ones that use tile-based colors instead of sprite-based colors look ugly. Dunno if that's a per-game thing or a hardware limitation, but it comes up a lot in screenshots or videos of stuff from the C64-ZX Spectrum era.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SpacePope posted:

Just play Starsector and forget about the other space games.

I agree with this.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570400&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

I bought the game like 10 (?) years ago and it’s been hella worth it.

Fake edit : I bought it may 2011 and it’s been the best $10.00

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finished my okami however many x replay and started on Shadow Man Remastered since I grabbed it during Christmas. Game rules so far in aesthetic and themes, but it does kind of suck not to have level maps. Seems like they at least patched in a collectible counter for each level with the latest patch, though. Didn’t expect it to be pretty much a Metroidvania, I always saw the N64 version at stores and for rental when I was younger and had no idea what type of game it was.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I had always assumed shadow man would be like Turok. The magazine ads for it always looked p cool

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

I had always assumed shadow man would be like Turok. The magazine ads for it always looked p cool

Yeah I've only seen what's on the Steam page & maybe a magazine screenshot before so I honestly just bought it based on that I had heard of it and that it was good enough to be remastered and get overwhelmingly positive reviews. It's very unique and really cool to have a late 90s/early 2000s game with pretty good voice acting and a Black main character and supporting characters; it even has Voodoo things that aren't just racist stereotypes and seem to have at least some research done.

Can definitely tell that it was made by a UK studio because they call one of the American serial killer spirits you have to hunt a "Video Nasty Killer".

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DarkDobe posted:

Freespace 2 with all of the modern mods/upgrades is incredible - and everyone should give it a playthrough at least once.

The last Capital Ship game that I really had a blast with was Nexus: the Jupiter Incident but it is a bit of an oddity that might not appeal to everyone.
It's gorgeous though, and really nails what it's going for in my opinion. There are a few story missions that are very punishing, though, oftentimes verging on 'failed during mission loadout' because you didn't take specific equipment/abilities - but nothing a guide won't solve.
It absolutely owns bones, especially with getting down the sheer ludicrous scale of everything involved.

For capital ship strategy games in a somewhat similar vein to Nexus, the Battlefleet Gothic games are shockingly good. The multiplayer can be a hot mess (unless you're just playing with friends, in which case it's great) and the campaign is more on the grindy 4X side, but the actual combat is meaty and tons of fun as long as you can deal with the fact that it's bringing some baggage from the tabletop. Really good games to just jump in and play a skirmish or two, and the campaigns are honestly pretty funny if you don't commit to just grinding through them all at once.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr E posted:

Yeah I've only seen what's on the Steam page & maybe a magazine screenshot before so I honestly just bought it based on that I had heard of it and that it was good enough to be remastered and get overwhelmingly positive reviews. It's very unique and really cool to have a late 90s/early 2000s game with pretty good voice acting and a Black main character and supporting characters; it even has Voodoo things that aren't just racist stereotypes and seem to have at least some research done.

Can definitely tell that it was made by a UK studio because they call one of the American serial killer spirits you have to hunt a "Video Nasty Killer".

Does Shadow Man have fast travel? I don't know if the Remaster fixed it but the amount of backtracking you had to do in that game was insane.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

pentyne posted:

Does Shadow Man have fast travel? I don't know if the Remaster fixed it but the amount of backtracking you had to do in that game was insane.

Yeah you can travel between areas with the teddy bear item and they've cleared up a bunch of the hints and stuff so you can get 100% without using a guide reasonably. They also added the content that wasn't quite finished including a new area and enemies that everyone seems to enjoy. I'm still expecting quite a bit of backtracking based on the amount of items, though.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Two reviews:

Phantom Brigade

I somewhat liked this one. The combat is extremely cool and unique. The way it works is just impressive, with different hitboxes for different parts and everything being simulated very accurately. There are tons of different weapons that play differently, you keep encountering new (types of) weapons.

That said, it's sometimes more of an interesting game than a great one. It's a game where you after you play it you immediately start thinking about how it could be improved.

It works, and it's a lot of fun for 10~20 hours. But difficult to recommend 100%. I'd certainly look into a Phantom Brigade 2, but doubt I'd pay for a DLC.

Warriors of the Nile 2

I absolutely adore this game. Just a great and extremely addictive take on "final fantasy tactics" gameplay with roguelike elements. Simple concepts, but a surprising amount of depth in how all the different aspects fit together perfectly.

The power curve is especially well done. A hero that struggles to take on a scorpion on map 1 gradually becomes an absolute murder machine one-update-at-a-time, and the last few maps you really get to enjoy how incredible strong you've become, but then the final boss is such a well balanced difficult spike that you realize this is in fact necessary.

I'm now 15h in and there are still multiple characters I haven't played as. The meta progression is pretty fast as well and overall I don't mind it. I hope they expand on this formula.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Delsaber posted:

Been missing Psygnosis pretty bad these days

so many wonderful games under their label back then

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Paradoxish posted:

For capital ship strategy games in a somewhat similar vein to Nexus, the Battlefleet Gothic games are shockingly good. The multiplayer can be a hot mess (unless you're just playing with friends, in which case it's great) and the campaign is more on the grindy 4X side, but the actual combat is meaty and tons of fun as long as you can deal with the fact that it's bringing some baggage from the tabletop. Really good games to just jump in and play a skirmish or two, and the campaigns are honestly pretty funny if you don't commit to just grinding through them all at once.

Also nebulous fleet command though it's very groggy and only I think multi player?

Estel
May 4, 2010

Mr E posted:

Finished my okami however many x replay and started on Shadow Man Remastered since I grabbed it during Christmas. Game rules so far in aesthetic and themes, but it does kind of suck not to have level maps. Seems like they at least patched in a collectible counter for each level with the latest patch, though. Didn’t expect it to be pretty much a Metroidvania, I always saw the N64 version at stores and for rental when I was younger and had no idea what type of game it was.

Mr E posted:

Yeah you can travel between areas with the teddy bear item and they've cleared up a bunch of the hints and stuff so you can get 100% without using a guide reasonably. They also added the content that wasn't quite finished including a new area and enemies that everyone seems to enjoy. I'm still expecting quite a bit of backtracking based on the amount of items, though.

Thanks for reminding me of Shadow Man, bought the remaster. I really liked the original when it was released in 1999 and from what I've read it seems a really good remaster that adds content and fixes, at least in part, the amount of backtracking you had to do in it.

It's a pity lots of people only know about the game from the awful PS version. The Dreamcast and Windows versions were amazing.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
From one movie game to another, I've switched from Jedi Fallen Order to Middle-Earth: Shadow of War and I'm loving it a lot! Love dicing up orcs and am impressed at how complex the combat strategy can be with so many moves that counter certain types and resource management through building up might/focus and recovering health through draining which needs to be carefully setup and so on: gives me Doom Eternal vibes which is great and a welcome surprise, as I was worried it might have that somewhat oversimplified Arkham/Assassin Creed combat.

That being said, I attribute most of the game's great strategy feeling to starting my game out on the 'Brutal' difficulty since it reminded me in concept of games like Deus Ex with their 'Realistic' difficulty where damage is high on both ends, making it challenging but not turning enemies into annoying sponges. It really makes me consider running away and/or using every move I've got to exploit weaknesses since I can so easily die in two hits, and being able to die means more interactions with the nemesis system. A very interesting difficulty choice that I hope doesn't screw me over, haha.

If I were to have one complaint, is that it is quite annoying to get used to the auto-targetting for movement and combat. Hate it when I'm trying to parkour somewhere and the character auto-corrects some other direction, sometimes flinging me into danger, and likewise hate it when I'm trying to throw knifes in combat to stun a ranged unit about to kill me and it autotargets someone else, leading to the ranged unit being free to follow through with their attack and slay me: very frustrating when the game doesn't guess what you want correctly despite my best attempts (though thankfully it just means another interesting nemesis)!

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Just had a cross country us flight and instead of working on my backlog I cleared out all of sekiro up to the Genichiro locked suff and the clowning on him.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Welp, I have now finished Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened. I bought the deluxe edition with the six extra side quests and even then it still clocked in at about eleven hours of gameplay.

My basic judgment is that it was... fine. It was extremely Frogwares. If you've played any other Frogwares games: it's sort of like those. If you haven't: it's reasonably pretty but occasionally frustrating eurojank. No real combat in this one, thank goodness, but as usual you do have to fight against the controls. :v:

I'm not sure I like how the recent Frogwares version of young Holmes (precious, fragile, not really very Conan Doyle) blends with the Frogwares version of Lovecraft (extremely in-your-face and immediately gross), but I do think that they did an okay job of smashing their two versions into a single game. Honestly, I found it a lot more fun when the Lovecraftian elements were backburnered and you were doing purely Holmesian things like examining a murder scene.

The story was pretty scattershot and the ultimate antagonist came out of nowhere in the eleventh hour, but the individual chapters generally hung together pretty well. Frogwares has definitely gotten better at writing over the years.

The real reason to buy this game, in my opinion, is that Frogwares is a Ukrainian game studio. Their Ireland satellite produced this remake to help keep them afloat during the war, and as much as I enjoy rolling my eyes and bitching at the jank, I'd really like Frogwares to survive and keep doing whatever the heck it is they're doing.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I've also been getting into Shadow of War, and I've found it largely enjoyable except for one thing. The orc intro dialog. Not that it's bad, but it's unskippable. If you end up in a situation where you get repeat dialog, maybe from dying a bunch before an important section where an orc (or several) gets introduced, you have to sit through their intro every. single. time. My god. And not even cheatengine's speedhack can get past it, the audio doesn't get sped up and the game refuses to move on until the actual sound ends.

You can supposedly delete certain audio files to get around it, but that's a far more permanent solution than what I'm looking for. Did they seriously not consider that people wouldn't want to hear repeated dialog? I thought the first game had a skip option, even. Absolutely obnoxious.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Started playing wartales this morning and woops, it's now 14 hours later. Really engaging party development, character levelling, managing resources and exploration. Really enjoying the tactical battles too. Definitely recommend if you like open world tactical RPGs. No overarching story but really interesting world development so far

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I ended up picking up Meet your Maker and it's very much what you would expect:
Build killmazes, raid killmazes.

Given that all of the killmazes are player designed, they range all over the map from fun, to grueling, to just obnoxious.
Fortunately, there's no penalty for quitting if someone has built a maze that takes 20 minutes to traverse.
You can also give accolades to the map on completion - and getting accolades is one of the ways to make your level more 'visible' to other raiders, which in turn lets you level it up and make it progressively more complex.

To that end: it suffers very mildly from the Online Persistent Game-Itis.
There are 3 different currencies you need for building, one of which becomes a huge roadblock because it is the most scarce and everything uses it.
There are like 7 different leveling tracks (5 advisors, the Chimera and your own level) which either make no difference, or very very marginally improve passive (minor) buffs the advisors provide while you raid.
Grinding out some of the currencies to unlock traps to use in your own mazes is a bit of a chore, but the devs are certainly looking at making Building a viable source of materials as much as the Raiding currently is.

You can also play it with a friend, but more often than not your one person just becomes the mine canary, and the other acts as an infinite respawn. Most dungeons really aren't designed for 2 players, but there is some plan to add actual 2-player mechanics like switches and triggers that require multiple participants to progress.

All in all: I quite enjoy it, despite the slight flaws.

Oh: And if you're not running from an SSD, be ready to suffer some really stupid load times for no good reason (I'm stuck on an older laptop).

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 16, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Sailor Dave posted:

I've also been getting into Shadow of War, and I've found it largely enjoyable except for one thing. The orc intro dialog. Not that it's bad, but it's unskippable. If you end up in a situation where you get repeat dialog, maybe from dying a bunch before an important section where an orc (or several) gets introduced, you have to sit through their intro every. single. time. My god. And not even cheatengine's speedhack can get past it, the audio doesn't get sped up and the game refuses to move on until the actual sound ends.

You can supposedly delete certain audio files to get around it, but that's a far more permanent solution than what I'm looking for. Did they seriously not consider that people wouldn't want to hear repeated dialog? I thought the first game had a skip option, even. Absolutely obnoxious.

Ah yeah, I haven't gotten repeated dialog yet, but I was already getting slightly annoyed at how indulgent the orc intro dialog can be: you'd think they would just be rather snappy quips but some of 'em really gab on and on, and I'm not just talking about the bards where it might make sense, but even just the regular orcs. Like say there's an orc called the Crusher or some-such, I would want their intro to be like "Is that a ranger I see? It's crushing time!" but instead it's stuff like "Your pathetic frail sword will do no good here, human! You don't appreciate the beauty that a stout blunt instrument can provide, like my sledgehammer right here! Her name's Daisy: she's one of a kind, absolutely top-heavy, and me an Daisy will crush you into such a fine bloody paste that not even your fellow Gondorians will recognize you! Rarrrgh!" Such long-winded speeches can really kill the pace and make me absolutely regret triggering them by accident when I'm just trying to run through an area. I wish that for the long speeches, maybe they just have the speech continue but over gameplay, keeping the intro pause/freeze to a consistent 2-3 seconds where you have time to hit the identify button instead of dragging the pause over the whole speech.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 16, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
Arch heresy about orcemon up in here.

Though yeah a skip dialogue would not go amiss even with how good the orc intros are.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 16, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The only time repeated dialogue will ever be an issue is inside story missions, and since they're loving linear and have no effect on the game proper you might as well just lower the difficulty when doing those.

I played through Shadow of War 4 times already, because I loving love that game, but the story missions are absolute worst part of that game. They're interesting the first time, but end up just being annoying on repeated playthroughs.
I really really wish there was a way to skip them. I could play ocemon sandbox part of the game for ever, if I didn't have to do the story missions again.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Shadow of War's story has powerful "multi-million dollar adaption of a 13 year old's fanfic" vibes and it's great.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Shadow of War's story has powerful "multi-million dollar adaption of a 13 year old's fanfic" vibes and it's great.

Yeah, it's great. I particularly enjoyed Bruz's arc and the big switch that happens 2/3rd into the game.
The latter has particularly interesting effects on the gameplay.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I always beheaded orcs that talked too much. My least favourite though were the ones who would just make a noise for like half a minute and then if they were feeling up to it drop in a single word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Paracausal posted:

Started playing wartales this morning and woops, it's now 14 hours later. Really engaging party development, character levelling, managing resources and exploration. Really enjoying the tactical battles too. Definitely recommend if you like open world tactical RPGs. No overarching story but really interesting world development so far

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it as well. It's not quite as crunchy as Battle Brothers, but depending on taste that can certainly be considered an advantage. And the region-specific story missions are surprisingly pretty interesting, I appreciate that they're usually not just trivially "help the nice guys to be nice or help the evil guys to make money". There have been a few moments where I was genuinely undecided who to side with because they both kinda had a valid point.