Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I have an odd question: Top Rank responded to Covid by creating a "boxing bubble" in Las Vegas at the MGM. I know the "Bubble" began on June 9, 2020, but I'd like to know when it ended.

Does anyone know what fight was the first "live" boxing match back in a regular venue with a regular crowd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

AARP LARPer posted:

I have an odd question: Top Rank responded to Covid by creating a "boxing bubble" in Las Vegas at the MGM. I know the "Bubble" began on June 9, 2020, but I'd like to know when it ended.

Does anyone know what fight was the first "live" boxing match back in a regular venue with a regular crowd?

The last event held at the Top Rank bubble was Oscar Valdez vs. Miguel Berchelt in February of 21.

It might not be the literally first, but the first boxing event to draw anything nearing a capacity crowd was probably Canelo vs. Saunders, which was on May 8th and drew a little over 73,000 to AT&T Stadium

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

The SituAsian posted:

The last event held at the Top Rank bubble was Oscar Valdez vs. Miguel Berchelt in February of 21.

It might not be the literally first, but the first boxing event to draw anything nearing a capacity crowd was probably Canelo vs. Saunders, which was on May 8th and drew a little over 73,000 to AT&T Stadium

I greatly appreciate this! Thank you so much.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m a casual modern boxing fan and basically show up for Fury fights. What’s with Joshua? Dude was insanely good and looked like he was going to dominate for years and years.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m a casual modern boxing fan and basically show up for Fury fights. What’s with Joshua? Dude was insanely good and looked like he was going to dominate for years and years.

hmm... the popular narrative is that after he got knocked out by Ruiz he hasn't been able to fight properly and is too in his own head. I think there's some truth to that, but it's not like Joshua was ever super smooth or comfortable either, that's kind of just who he is.

More recently, he had two losses to Usyk but I think that's more about Usyk being a drat fine boxer than AJ being washed or whatever. AJ has the physical tools to beat Usyk but I don't think there's an earlier version of AJ that would have gotten it done, he just got outboxed.

On the other hand I think people are overplaying this Franklin thing a bit, he beat a guy on wide scores but didn't knock him out or look like a destroyer. Franklin came to win and had some spots of success, but really Joshua never really let him into the fight and got the job done. Fighters do this all the time, take a step down in competition and then look less impactful than you'd expect. Fury went the distance against Pianeta for example.

The big thing there is that AJ's body language was bad and he never really looked like he wanted the finish, which is a dramatic difference from his pre-Ruiz days. The classic "Joshua is a composed and ferocious finisher, watch this" line before AJ got knocked out was true, AJ was a finisher, a power puncher who would come forward throwing combinations and now he's much more reserved. I'm not convinced his risk adverse style is actually worse, but it's not great that he looks a bit mentally lost in the ring now.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
joshua is already obscenely wealthy. he has to be thinking about the big pile of money he could be laying on instead of training for three months to get brain damage from franklin. he should have fought fury in london and trained his heart out one last time - all or nothing. he doesn't have the drive to climb the ranks again imo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jump King posted:

it's not like Joshua was ever super smooth or comfortable either, that's kind of just who he is.

Joshua was an attributes fighter whose fundamentals were good enough to get him a belt. But he's at an age / degree of habit in the sport that he can't become more skilled and more refined, so coupled with the sports psychology issues, he's not close to his full potential in the ring.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

joshua is already obscenely wealthy. he has to be thinking about the big pile of money he could be laying on instead of training for three months to get brain damage from franklin. he should have fought fury in london and trained his heart out one last time - all or nothing. he doesn't have the drive to climb the ranks again imo.

I don't think training is his problem, my guess is that he likes training a lot more than fighting.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The king is back

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1646192738239492096?t=Y9_oidO0XxldS-TmHP0RZA&s=19

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

this is by far the most interested i've been for a jake paul fight, entirely because i don't think diaz would take a fall and now that jake has been beaten he has no 'record' to 'protect' further fuelling hope that we will see jake paul in a genuinely intriguing fight with a guy who i always like to see get a bag.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Isn't Nate giving up (at least) 25 pounds to Jake?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I think Nate could "bulk" up to 185 no cut, and there he might only be 10lbs down.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nate is definitely much smaller than Paul and probably will be giving up a good chunk of weight. For example, when he dropped and choked out Conor McGregor he had literally been doing tequila shots on a boat off of Cabo San Lucas, he weighed in at 169. He didn't cut weight at all. He's not a big guy. He fought at 155 when he wanted to bother with a weight cut.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Joyce fights tomorrow. Frank Warren has installed a ref known for early stoppages.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I've heard that too but I just don't see what anyone gains with Zhilei Zhang winning

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

LLCoolJD posted:

Joyce fights tomorrow. Frank Warren has installed a ref known for early stoppages.

Frank Warren is an absolute shitheel but what boxing promoter isn't?

Probably there so that when Zhang starts to gas the ref gets him out of there because Joyce will just keep hitting him and he's a very punishing fighter to be up against, he makes a mess of people.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
After 5 rounds, Joyce is getting his poo poo rocked by Zhang.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
WOW. Joyce stopped in the 6th. Eye completely closed by Zhang's left hand. Absolutely devastating outcome for Joyce's career here.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cigar Aficionado posted:

WOW. Joyce stopped in the 6th. Eye completely closed by Zhang's left hand. Absolutely devastating outcome for Joyce's career here.

Funny timing as it felt like that was the last combo Zhang had in the tank, and Joyce seemed that he got all of the numbers right on the doc's exam.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Wow, Joyce didn't look as tough against a fellow giant. Good for Zhang. Brutal lefts decided the fight. Joyce is now a top gatekeeper boxer, perhaps.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Well IDKSAB

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

zhang just started up fast enough to get the stoppage. don't know if joyce was just off or too slow for the bigger man's punches this time.

does zhang get usyk or what the hell does an interim belt mean whichever question makes more sense?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

biglads posted:

Well IDKSAB

Don't feel too bad. Vegas had Joyce as a clear favorite.

the paradigm shift posted:

zhang just started up fast enough to get the stoppage. don't know if joyce was just off or too slow for the bigger man's punches this time.

Zhang asserted himself quickly and Joyce couldn't avoid those snappy lefts. You could tell that Zhang was just surviving long enough for that eye to close up. Smart game plan.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

+1100 for Zhang. That's betting upset of the year territory.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I didn't see it but I heard Zhang's previous loss was unfortunate too? Lol at Joyce though.

As for AJ, I think part of his problem is coaching. Against Franklin he probably could have come out early doors and destroyed him but instead is sitting off, I know plenty of fighters made a good living doing it but it doesn't suit AJ in my opinion. His ego is insane too so his fear of being knocked out will be significant after Ruiz. Remember this is the guy who ran into a block of flats to confront some students for trash talking him from a far away window.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The Ruiz knock out and supposed training knock out earlier that week we're his first right? Maybe it just put The Fear into him and he's done

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

does zhang get usyk or what the hell does an interim belt mean whichever question makes more sense?

This made me wonder why heavyweight champions/fighters in general are so old these days? I'm sure this is a well known phenomenon, but a lot of the greats were barely in their mid-20's: Foreman, Frazier, Patterson, Ali were all like world champion at 24. Tyson was barely even 20. Zhang is 40 on his next birthday, and Joyce (who hasn't even fought that many guys) is 37. What gives?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Torquemada posted:

This made me wonder why heavyweight champions/fighters in general are so old these days? I'm sure this is a well known phenomenon, but a lot of the greats were barely in their mid-20's: Foreman, Frazier, Patterson, Ali were all like world champion at 24. Tyson was barely even 20. Zhang is 40 on his next birthday, and Joyce (who hasn't even fought that many guys) is 37. What gives?

Not shitposting:

PEDs and better training/physical maintainence practices have allowed fighters to extend their athletic peaks and develop enough experience to counterbalance the hamsplosiveness of youth.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's also related to Heavyweight specifically; for three reasons:

It's a slower, more cautious weight class. Slower because everyone is bigger, more cautious because everyone can punch. Whether someone is actually a big puncher or not, once they're clocking in at over 200lbs they can hurt someone. So, slowing down is less of an problem because it's all slower anyway.

Relatedly, while quickness and reflexes diminish tremendously with age, punching power lingers for much longer. So, an old heavyweight remains a threat in a way an old lightweight doesn't.

Finally, a meta reason is because the athletic level is lower. If you're a physical phenomenon AND you're big ... why are you in combat sports? You could go play any of the various ball sports that are much more popular around the world and have a much better career. If you're a generational talent but the size of Manny Pacquiao, a career in the NFL or NBA isn't in your future. But if you're a generational talent AND you're six foot four? You'll be pulled into the more popular sports all your childhood.

So, heavyweight is more forgiving of physical diminishment, fighters retain more relevant attributes as they age, and the skill level just isn't as high.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

A day later and I'm still flabbergasted that Joyce had no answer for straight lefts from a 39-year-old, 280-lb southpaw. What was he doing in training camp? That seems like the single, most critical thing you have to work on given the matchup.

If Joyce invokes the rematch clause, I don't see him winning. But a big payday from a fight in China (presumably?) would send him into retirement with a healthy bank account.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I didn't see it but I heard Zhang's previous loss was unfortunate too? Lol at Joyce though.

whoever said that didn't watch it or is being paid. I like the big guy and he put in some good work but the back half of that fight he was mostly hugging and iirc at the final 10 second buzzer he just ran away from his opponent. he gassed hard there and I doubt this fight changes anyone's mind on his conditioning

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

whoever said that didn't watch it or is being paid. I like the big guy and he put in some good work but the back half of that fight he was mostly hugging and iirc at the final 10 second buzzer he just ran away from his opponent. he gassed hard there and I doubt this fight changes anyone's mind on his conditioning

I didn’t think it was a travesty Hrgovic won that fight, but I could seen zhang winning it.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1648011840050307075?t=37-Rj7MypkOCTmYuaEoRJA&s=19

Probably just horseshit, but oh if it pans out :allears:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

i hope this happens. i know this is boxing and it's always like this, but I thought a year or two ago that it would be really nice to see Fury, Joshua, Wilder, Ruiz, and Usyk all fight each other. The fact that they've only each fought one or two of each other is very silly.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Zhang is now a mandatory for Usyk, but he's third in line behind Dubois and Hrgovic, so between them and the potential fight with Fury, it'll probably be awhile before he gets his shot. Since he holds the interim belt though, he now stands a chance of becoming champion without ever fighting Usyk, should he be stripped or vacate the WBO title for whatever reason. Also Joyce has the option to rematch him due to there being a rematch clause, so that could be a factor as well. Personally I think that would be a bad move for Joyce, because winning does avenge the loss but not much else, whereas losing knocks him even further away from a potential title fight and time isn't exactly on his side in that regard.

I've noticed lately that the WBC, IBF and WBO are giving out a lot of interim titles lately, and I'm not 100% certain why. Just to give you an idea of how big of a change this is: coming into 2022 there were only two interim champions, that year crowned seven more, and even though a few of those guys were elevated to full champions there are still currently eleven of them with at least one more interim title fight being worked on for the summer. But in 2021 the WBA got rid of their interim titles, which they passed out like candy, and are now working to get rid of their "Regular" championship status (which is a whole other clusterfuck itself), so I guess the other belt organizations are just picking up the slack there, filling a void that really didn't need filling.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This is extremely obviously not happening.

BUT… it would be really loving cool

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
just do a Pride-style one-night tournament, if anywhere will sanction that it's loving Saudi

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

JaddaCaddra posted:

I've noticed lately that the WBC, IBF and WBO are giving out a lot of interim titles lately, and I'm not 100% certain why.

Sanctioning fees of course. Although I've always found it especially idiotic that the sanctioning bodies hand out "interim" titles for titles that have fully active belt-holders. Literally nonsensical.

And yeah, Zhang probably won't get a title shot until at least mid 2024 unfortunately for him, and that's only if the belt is stripped from the current holder. Dubois is next up but based on how quiet things have been, Fury and Usyk may actually get done after all. If that fight is next up, Fury/Usyk 2 is probably the next fight after that, although at that point, belts will likely be stripped and Zhang might get to fight for a title against someone like Frank Sanchez or Otto Wallin or something.

Honestly it seems most likely that assuming that Fury and Usyk actually fully unify, that the majority of the belts are stripped from the winner soon after and are fought for between a bunch of random top 10 guys, as it is very hard to believe Fury (assuming he beats Usyk) is going to fight anyone at this stage of his career that isn't a) the elite/money guys (Wilder, Joshua, Usyk) or b) low level tuneups that Fury has a 0% chance of losing to (see the recent Chisora fight). The Zhang/Joyce fight is a very timely and sobering example to the big names on how risky fighting live bodies for (relatively) small dollars is and how important smart matchmaking is.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Gimme all your Gervonta Davis - Ryan Garcia predictions and hot takes

I have Gervonta Davis by KO round 8

This will be the most commercially successful fight in the sport since Canelo-GGG 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The SituAsian posted:

Gimme all your Gervonta Davis - Ryan Garcia predictions and hot takes

I have Gervonta Davis by KO round 8

This will be the most commercially successful fight in the sport since Canelo-GGG 2

Same, but in 5. I think Davis absolutely has the measure of Garcia.